Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
TJA
DIS Veteran

The main pool closure would be a deal breaker for us -- we've been carefully following Poly threads (and Tikiman site) to be sure on the main pool closure time frame because it's a big part of our trips. If our dates would've overlapped with the closure, then we would've just booked elsewhere. In OP's case, not much is available for them which I feel really bad about. AKL is even booked solid? CR wing room? We used to go to Disney in September and even though it's considered a "slow" time, I do remember having a hard time getting a resort I wanted due to lower prices and great deals.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #32
OfTheWind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefanforever View Post
I completely agree! I would be very upset if the resort I booked had major renovations going on that I was not aware of when booking. Especially a pool closure since our kids look forward to that. The deluxe resorts are very expensive and it is a lot of money to spend only to be disappointed. I am concerned about my Nov trip to the BC because I saw in a prev post that renovations will start this fall. Anyone know what this is? I need to prepare myself!!
It's supposed to start in September. The concierge room is being expanded and the rooms are being redone. I've also heard BCV will be redone. Those who booked a BC club level room have been moved to YC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellsFam View Post
Yeah this exactly... There is NOTHING left and I think it's due to free dining. I had toyed with a move to POR but moving from a deluxe to a mod is a big step and the other deludes are either booked solid or much more money plus the loss of the Club Level...

I understand what everyone is saying about just move over to another resort, in this case it is much easier said than done...
Yes we're there during Free Dining as well and we're not even using it. Pretty much all of the FD rooms are long gone. There are still deluxe rooms available but most of the standard or garden view rooms for deluxe hotels are gone (Grand, Yacht, Beach Club, Wilderness).

It's ridiculous to close a pool in the hot summer months as opposed to the freezing temps in the winter.
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #33
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheWind View Post

It's ridiculous to close a pool in the hot summer months as opposed to the freezing temps in the winter.
Keep in mind you are talking about a resort in Florida. While it may get a bit chilly, it rarely is truly freezing.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #34
bunnielly
Earning My Ears

When was your trip planned? I'm wondering bc I have a standard room booked at boardwalk inn sept 17-27 with dining that I need to cancel bc I booked YC instead.

I agree with you, I didn't book poly bc of pool. We have swim days scheduled during our trip.
bunnielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #35
BellsFam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Right now, from CMs, people have heard:

*work will commence after Labor Day
*work will start in August
*work will be confined to the pool deck
*work involves pool but pool will only be closed after 7p
*work involves pool necessitating full closure.

I get that a pool doesn't matter to some people, but for those of us that picked WL because it was budget friendly, paying additional to move to a more expensive resort or to buy WP tickets seems somewhat unfair. Not to mention the poor people who pick VWL because the pool there is usually quieter and now will enjoy the full fun of it becoming the resort's feature pool temporarily.
Yeah, we are headed down on 09/12... so pretty much it's being "prepped" to be closed while we're there.

EXACTLY!!! The thing is I could move to CR if there were a wing available. But for me to move to CR I have to pay an additional $500 to my package, but the extra dining, Club Level breakfasts that I didn't budget for at WL, I know have to pay extra for because I would not be CL at Contemp. While I love Contemp. to add that much more to what I'm already spending is crazy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSprite View Post

I'm paying almost 5 grand for a room, I want the pool. Hoping I can switch my rented points to AKL.

This stinks.
Yep...my vacation is going to cost me around $7k... I want a pool for $7k... for crying out loud I could drop one in my backyard for that price!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnielly View Post
When was your trip planned? I'm wondering bc I have a standard room booked at boardwalk inn sept 17-27 with dining that I need to cancel bc I booked YC instead.

I agree with you, I didn't book poly bc of pool. We have swim days scheduled during our trip.
Congrats on the move to YC... it's not available for us...

We were headed 09/12 to 09/20...
*WDW Polynesian Concierge 05/2003 ~ *Universal Studios Wyndham Orlando Resort 06/2004 ~ *Honeymoon Grand Velas, Puerto Vallarta 09/2006 ~ *Western Caribbean Cruise, Carnival 05/2007 ~ *Nothing for a few years ~ *WDW Swan 09/2012 ~ *WDW Lake Buena Vista Resort 05/2013 ~
BellsFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #36
HairyChest
Mouseketeer

Construction would be a deal breaker for me as well even if I didn't use the pool and the reason is the ambiance, especially the wilderness lodge. I was visiting there last month and they had construction fences around the stream that goes into the pool and it changed the whole vibe. Themeing and convinience is why I spend big money for disney resorts so when that's effected, they aren't getting my money.
And don't get me started on the Polynesian mess oh lord

Review of the Grand Floridian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...2#post51494372
Review of the Portofino Bay http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3327615
Disneyworld/Universal Sept 2014 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3326380
video of the grand Floridian http://youtu.be/79U98ll0BZ0
Video of the portofino bay http://youtu.be/v8sICd77gfY
HairyChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #37
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Totally agree with you OP. No backlash here. I can't figure out why they wouldn't do this pool construction during the winter months. It makes no sense to me. I would be very upset, too. Having to use a small quiet pool instead of a feature pool at a deluxe resort would not sit well with me. Guess there's people who can overlook that but I would not be one of them.
freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #38
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
Are you able to switch to another resort or is your trip too close?
I am not sure that they can afford to. It keeps getting more and more expensive. My oldest DD who is the organizer wanted to switch however the others seem to want to stay. DS 22 would happily have pitched a tent to save money if the campgrounds were included in FD lol.

There is still a lot to do at WL. All their dining reservations are based around staying at WL. Chef Mickeys, Park Faire, Whispering Canyon. They have the water park option.

I am sure they will be fine. I do not see any of them using a pool slide that much anyhow. It is just that I wanted it to be perfect for them. I stayed at POP when their main pool was closed. It did not effect me at all, but the "look" of the resort was ruined by the pool being blocked off.

As much as DD 21 is planning on spending hours sitting by the pool I honestly do not see that happening with all their other plans.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #39
CT_Bev&Jeff
Mouseketeer

I would be upset also. My wife and I are bringing our daughter and our grandkids to WL in February. I know that the last time the kids went to the pool almost every evening. It gave them a chance to cool down and relax before heading to the room and sleeping! It would not be a deal breaker for us, but we would not be to happy.

Sending good thoughts for you and your family to have a wonderful time on the cruise!

Is this repair/upkeep work, or are they changing parts of the pool/falls?

CT_Jeff
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #40
Princess_Nikki
DIS Veteran

$7K?!! WOW, am I super glad I'm a Florida Resident...

But, for that price, is there nowhere else to stay at that would be a nice, pleasant stay? Granted, no Free dining, but is free dining really free?
I wouldn't want to stay on a resort with a pool being refurbished, either.

I was just there in May, and I was SO disappointed with the Poly. It was a bad time to see it for the first time! I had such high hopes for it! The refurbishing they are doing there is quite intense...a lot going on at the Poly. I wouldn't have wanted to be staying there during those times.

How many nights did you plan to stay? I noticed you decided to take a cruise, are you going with a Disney Cruise?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #41
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

I am sympathizing with the OP. Sometimes I wonder who exactly makes these decisions and thought it was the logical thing to do during the hottest times of the year instead of the coolest like they do with the waterparks. I would not be happer either.

Not sure if you've mentioned it yet, but the other deluxe resort that is affordable like WL is Animal Kingdom Lodge. I know the location of the resort isn't desirable but could that be an option for you?

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #42
NewRVLady
DIS Veteran

We used the VIllas pool last time we went because the main pool was crowded;
NewRVLady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #43
NashBridges
Mouseketeer

Hmm

It does suck that you weren't notified earlier but for me, I'd just change my plans and try to remain positive. We had reservations at ASMu because our friends we are travelling with need space for 5 and they wanted the suites. As soon as the food court remodel was announced, we switched resorts to POR. It's costing us more money but it's a sacrifice we make.

I'd look into giving up free dining and club level, much more availability would open up and you'd save money. Any of the mods would hardly be slumming it.

AKL 2008, POR 2009, POR 2011, Offsite 2012 (never again), POR July 2014(upgraded thanks to ASMu food court upgrade, POR Dec 2014, 2 rooms, with teenage son and his girlfriend, her very first trip!
NashBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #44
Sammie
DIS Veteran

There will not be a time it does not inconvenience someone. That is the nature of a business that stays open 24/7 year round. While you might think Jan or February is a better time, those guests would not.

Actually as far as occupancy levels go, September is less busy.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #45
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashBridges View Post
It does suck that you weren't notified earlier but for me, I'd just change my plans and try to remain positive. We had reservations at ASMu because our friends we are travelling with need space for 5 and they wanted the suites. As soon as the food court remodel was announced, we switched resorts to POR. It's costing us more money but it's a sacrifice we make.

I'd look into giving up free dining and club level, much more availability would open up and you'd save money. Any of the mods would hardly be slumming it.
For those with FD, there is either no or VERY limited availability to switch - most would require upgrading to a more expensive deluxe room (all I found would add an extra $85 a night). I would gladly switch to a mod... however they are all booked up for FD or have limited availability - POR is available for most of my nights (but not all) but we need preferred room to guarantee the third bed and savings become minimal based on what I had at WL... plus I lose the perks of proximity and it messes with my ADRs which were MK resort specific (a lot harder to make a 930 Kona ADR from POR -- and I have been trying to find later times just in general and nothing has popped in the last month). Also, giving up CL doesn't = saving money. I know many people who budget CL costs in for their food - grabbing snack there and maybe light apps for dinner with a smaller meal. A friend of mine stays CL at AK with her two teenage sons and figures they save >$75 a day on food and drinks which is the cost difference to upgrade. Since she and DH get beer and wine, they feel like they come out ahead. To give up CL means to have to figure out how to fill the gaps the food would fill... so even if it costs the same to move from WL CL to standard somewhere else, the food and drinks they would enjoy CL need to be added onto vacation costs.

While I normally wouldn't be as up in arms about this as I am, there are two huge factors making this much more of a problem than it needs to be: communication and FD. There has been absolutely awful information coming from every which way about what is going on which is ludicrous -- we learned on the Yuletide Fantasy tour that Disney plans over a year out for the holidays (meaning they are working on Christmas '15 right now), so you can't convince me that this project just crept up unexpectedly. And, while I TOTALLY understand dates fluctuate, giving a general window would be better than saying a mix of "nothing/sometime late summer/after Labor Day". Now that FD has come out, the availability of people to move around has been greatly reduced. I am checking every day to see if something opens up within my price range at a resort but I'm double screwed - the start of F&W means EPCOT resorts are gone and Poly construction means displaced Poly people are filling in the slots at other deluxes. In the end, we will probably end up staying at WL because I'd rather do that than pay an extra $850 that it is looking like to move.

While I understand the need for Disney to change and refurb, it would make so much more sense to me to pick fall as a time to do room or ride refurbs (lower crowds and all). As PP already pointed out, they close WP in the winter because attendance drops like the temps... logic would lead one to believe pools would follow a similar course.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: