Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #16
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
The quiet pool will be open and it just around the bend from the main pool.
Very true and I am sure my kids will use it however it will be very crowded. Also a big part of the deluxe pool is the slide. This is a big trip for my kids. They may not be able to stay deluxe again for years if ever. We have always taken them to values. So yes it is a big deal.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #17
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpswift View Post
Very true and I am sure my kids will use it however it will be very crowded. Also a big part of the deluxe pool is the slide. This is a big trip for my kids. They may not be able to stay deluxe again for years if ever. We have always taken them to values. So yes it is a big deal.
Are you able to switch to another resort or is your trip too close?
Three cats is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I agree it is a big deal. But look at it this way--at least Disney has told you ahead of time. A few years back they didn't bother to do that

About 4 years ago I booked a room at POR because of the pool slide. It was closed our whole trip, with no prior notice. When I went to speak to the manager, to ask why we didn't have any notice so that we could have made other plans, even switched to another resort, he told me that Disney didn't feel they had to give people advanced notice. Needless to say, I was not amused.

At least now they seem to realize that people prefer to know ahead of time what is going on. Now you have a choice, and are not stuck with dealing with whatever they offer you once you are already at WDW.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #19
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

I am sorry that this happened to you. We were, actually, booked at the Wilderness Lodge for September also. A few months ago, I was messing around with prices and found that the Cabins at Fort Wilderness were about $500 less expensive than WL. We have to have something with bunk beds because our kids (15 yo girl and 11 yo boy) will not share a bed. Not that I blame them. Anyway...I looked at AK, but if we were going to stay there then I wanted a Savannah view. Of course that added to the price. So I checked out the Cabins. We couldn't be more excited. We have our own space. Nobody on the adjoining walls. Much more quiet. They have so much to do at the Cabins and the kicker is....less expensive than WL. And they are included in the Free Dining offer. I think you have already canceled your trip and for that I am very sorry. Terrible disappointment for you. I just wanted to let you know about the Cabins.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #20
4disneygenerations
Mouseketeer

But as of now WDW has not informed anyone of pool and real date closures. I was given four different answers. No one that I have read has received any valid notice. Everyone is reacting to info found from other diser's and then contacting WDW to get different answers.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #21
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellsFam View Post
So it is with regret that I say this...but please remove me from any and all WDW trip logs...

We had all of our vacations approved through our jobs (two week process), saved the funds to go(countless months, year?), made the dining reservations early, booked and paid the airfare, bought the Memory Maker, took every survey ever thrown at us over the numerous phone calls made to WDW and IPO, made the BBB and PL reservations, planned out the entire trip, started ordering specialty shirts via Etsy.

And now... 3 months (give or take) before we leave, with everything in place, they are closing the pool!

First off, thank you Disney for deciding to update the pool, and doing so during one of the more extremely hot times of the year, (ya know, instead of waiting until January or February).

Thank you Disney for also offering free dining during our chosen vacation time because now, I cannot get a reservation pretty much anywhere close to what I had at WL.

Thank you Disney, most of all, because you've pushed me to going on the cruise I wanted to go on in the first place.

Booking all of these things so far in advance and now pretty much cancelling my vacation due to your construction, I've now lost out on some of the more important things that my daughter wanted to participate in.

And yes, I might be immature for cancelling my vacation over a pool closure, but I also might be realistic and have expectations, that when you are paying $$$$ per night for a vacation, and you are going on the "vacation of a lifetime", you are entitled to a hotel without walking through ongoing construction and closures.

The single silver lining to all of this I have yet to tell the 5 year old who wanted to go for her birthday that she was even going, because telling her now that she's not, would be awful.

Refits have to be done at some time, and frankly January and February are busy times now as well as the summer.

I agree if this is a deal breaker for you and your family, best to cancel the vacation, but I would suggest maybe one of the other MANY WDW resorts, all special and magical in there own ways.

Not to mention 2 tops in the country water parks.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #22
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
The quiet pool will be open and it just around the bend from the main pool.
The quiet pool is teeny tiny. I would also be changing my plans. The pool is a big deal especially with kids. My three prefer the pool to parks. I would dump the free dining and go with a resort discount. That way you can book anywhere and eat whatever you want rather than disney tying you to all those needless desserts and snacks. If you've already booked the cruise have fun. I know this situation is hard.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
4disneygenerations
Mouseketeer

Booking another resort is easier said then done I was just on the WDW site and even without any discount AKL has only standard view, no availability at the beach club. I have paid for a courtyard view room and a club level room for my son's family. Even with the discount, paying for DDP and not including airfare I've already spent over $8,000.00. I' m really upset because I was originally going for the Poly but was warned of the construction. We went to the WL once before, during the room rehab but this is a speacial family trip and I like everyone elde did alot of planning and saving. The pool time at the end of August is very important to us. Everyone has their own priorities. With kids a special planned on pool is key.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
BellsFam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4disneygenerations View Post
Booking another resort is easier said then done I was just on the WDW site and even without any discount AKL has only standard view, no availability at the beach club. I have paid for a courtyard view room and a club level room for my son's family. Even with the discount, paying for DDP and not including airfare I've already spent over $8,000.00. I' m really upset because I was originally going for the Poly but was warned of the construction. We went to the WL once before, during the room rehab but this is a speacial family trip and I like everyone elde did alot of planning and saving. The pool time at the end of August is very important to us. Everyone has their own priorities. With kids a special planned on pool is key.

Yeah this exactly... There is NOTHING left and I think it's due to free dining. I had toyed with a move to POR but moving from a deluxe to a mod is a big step and the other deludes are either booked solid or much more money plus the loss of the Club Level...

I understand what everyone is saying about just move over to another resort, in this case it is much easier said than done...
*WDW Polynesian Concierge 05/2003 ~ *Universal Studios Wyndham Orlando Resort 06/2004 ~ *Honeymoon Grand Velas, Puerto Vallarta 09/2006 ~ *Western Caribbean Cruise, Carnival 05/2007 ~ *Nothing for a few years ~ *WDW Swan 09/2012 ~ *WDW Lake Buena Vista Resort 05/2013 ~
BellsFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
mousefanforever
Earning My Ears

I completely agree! I would be very upset if the resort I booked had major renovations going on that I was not aware of when booking. Especially a pool closure since our kids look forward to that. The deluxe resorts are very expensive and it is a lot of money to spend only to be disappointed. I am concerned about my Nov trip to the BC because I saw in a prev post that renovations will start this fall. Anyone know what this is? I need to prepare myself!!
mousefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #26
mousefanforever
Earning My Ears

I completely agree. Many of us save and save to take a vacation like this only every few years. I don't think it's a lot to ask that Disney let us know in advance if these types of closures will affect our stays. I am worried about our Nov trip at BC. I just read someone's post that renovations for fall will be going on! Does anyone know what this is?
mousefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #27
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I agree it is a big deal. But look at it this way--at least Disney has told you ahead of time. A few years back they didn't bother to do that

About 4 years ago I booked a room at POR because of the pool slide. It was closed our whole trip, with no prior notice. When I went to speak to the manager, to ask why we didn't have any notice so that we could have made other plans, even switched to another resort, he told me that Disney didn't feel they had to give people advanced notice. Needless to say, I was not amused.

At least now they seem to realize that people prefer to know ahead of time what is going on. Now you have a choice, and are not stuck with dealing with whatever they offer you once you are already at WDW.
I agree that your situation stinks and I hope they compensated somehow.
As of now, Disney hasn't notified people... it's only people contacting Disney that is pulling whatever info we can get - and most of it contradicts other info or is that "nothing is on the books". That's where a lot of people are frustrated - if we could get a straight answer from Disney on tentative dates and what exactly is going to happen, I think people would feel better about making decisions to switch or not. Right now, from CMs, people have heard:

*work will commence after Labor Day
*work will start in August
*work will be confined to the pool deck
*work involves pool but pool will only be closed after 7p
*work involves pool necessitating full closure.

I mean, according to some CMs, there is no construction at WL right now!!! Even though people can see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Refits have to be done at some time, and frankly January and February are busy times now as well as the summer.

I agree if this is a deal breaker for you and your family, best to cancel the vacation, but I would suggest maybe one of the other MANY WDW resorts, all special and magical in there own ways.

Not to mention 2 tops in the country water parks.
January and February are much less 'pool friendly' weather months than August/September. Also, for many people there is no availability other than paying rack rate... and even then a lot of resorts only have higher category rooms available. I just wish they had made this information known before FD... we don't have it booked but I know many people who do and now they have absolutely no choice on where to move or they lose that offer. For some people that will literally put them out of budget for any other resort - think a family of 4 Disney adults... that's a huge savings that they lose!!!
Water parks are only an option for those who have already paid for WP&M or who want to spend the extra $$$. On top of that, you have a bunch of people who moved from Poly do to THAT feature pool being closed and now have to relocate again.

I get that a pool doesn't matter to some people, but for those of us that picked WL because it was budget friendly, paying additional to move to a more expensive resort or to buy WP tickets seems somewhat unfair. Not to mention the poor people who pick VWL because the pool there is usually quieter and now will enjoy the full fun of it becoming the resort's feature pool temporarily.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #28
shortkathleen
Mouseketeer

How long is it supposed to be closed?

December 2009 SSR

December 2010 SSR/Beach Club
June 2011 Typhoon Lagoon
February 2012 Beach Club Villas
March 2013 Disney Cruise

May/June 2013 AKL/Boardwalk
July 2013 POR/Contemporary (Agent Ed)
January 2014 POR/OKW/Boardwalk (Agent Ed)
July 2014 OKW (Couples Only)
shortkathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #29
SpringSprite
Mouseketeer

OP, I'm with you! We rented points and paid in full in November, so I can't just cancel. We have a 10 day trip planned, with pool time every single day. My kids LOVE the pool and this is their first trip to WDW, and not another planned for years. That VWL pool does look TINY.

I'm paying almost 5 grand for a room, I want the pool. Hoping I can switch my rented points to AKL.

This stinks.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #30
Redmic
Can't fold fitted sheets

Awe I do feel bad about this. We were at WL this week and the waterfall and lobby water area are covered for repairs, apparently they are extending the work to the pool next. We swam in the villa pool because the main pool was crazy busy. The villa pool is too small to accommodate the WL folks. Hopefully they will let you hop to the Contemporary. It's a short and fun boat ride away. If I had small children I would try and get something like that, pool time is important to us as well!
Redmic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: