Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Sinderelly
Princess

Ohhh I So Need Help <begging>

I haven't much experience booking for a party larger than two. We will be taking my son, DDIL and 2 DGS (ages 8 and 3 at time of travel). We MUST have a comfortable bed for my son. He has Epilepsy and his seizures are triggered by lack of sleep. He is 6'3 so needs a nice quiet space

We are a party of 6 (4 adults, 2 children) Would like to keep the price as low as possible but priority is my son (adult) having a good nights sleep. I have been looking for ideas=so far

2 BR villa through Disney (yikes expensive)
2 rooms at a moderate, not sure which mod to choose FD would help
2 BR at Bonnet Creek (nervous about staying off site)

For those of you that have/had a party of 6 how do you accomoidate your party? DH and I LOVE Pop but I cant put my son in a double bed. He would need at least a queen.

I find it confusing looking at prices on the WDW site. It appears to be around 8K and I cant tell if thats w/ FD or I need to subtract the dining from the quote?

Can anyone recommend a low key time to visit? We would prefer Oct, Nov or possible even early Dec.

TIA for any help/advice I am about to receive
Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

Hi. First, when you say "FD" do you mean free dining?

Anyway, if it was me, I would go with two mod rooms. That way your son can go to sleep early and have peace. In a 2 bedroom villa, everyone else might be hanging out and conversing right outside his bedroom door. I usually request the top floor, too, so there is no noise from footsteps above me. Standard view rooms (as opposed to preferred) tend to be pretty quiet for me -- they don't overlook the pool and are away from the dining and bus stop foot traffic.

If you stay away from holiday weekends, fall is a nice time to visit.
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
DisneyObsessed87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinderelly
I haven't much experience booking for a party larger than two. We will be taking my son, DDIL and 2 DGS (ages 8 and 3 at time of travel). We MUST have a comfortable bed for my son. He has Epilepsy and his seizures are triggered by lack of sleep. He is 6'3 so needs a nice quiet space

We are a party of 6 (4 adults, 2 children) Would like to keep the price as low as possible but priority is my son (adult) having a good nights sleep. I have been looking for ideas=so far

2 BR villa through Disney (yikes expensive)
2 rooms at a moderate, not sure which mod to choose FD would help
2 BR at Bonnet Creek (nervous about staying off site)

For those of you that have/had a party of 6 how do you accomoidate your party? DH and I LOVE Pop but I cant put my son in a double bed. He would need at least a queen.

I find it confusing looking at prices on the WDW site. It appears to be around 8K and I cant tell if thats w/ FD or I need to subtract the dining from the quote?

Can anyone recommend a low key time to visit? We would prefer Oct, Nov or possible even early Dec.

TIA for any help/advice I am about to receive
We are a party of 6 plus a baby and staying at Pop in November. As you said, Pop is not an option. I would go with a moderate resort. The dates for FD are August 31-October 3, October 26-November 1, November 9-20, and Dec 12-23. Of the moderates Port Orleans is excluded from this offer. We chose to go the week of November 9th, because it is one of the best times for less crowds, we get free dining and the Christmas decorations will be up. Hope this helps!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Have you checked on a FW cabin? It seems like they might be able to accommodate your party, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know how big their beds are, though. Your 6'3" son may require a bed to himself, so he could at least sleep somewhat diagonally.

When quoting packages on the Disney website, you usually need to quote from one of the pages that detail FD. If you quote from the regular booking page, dining is something that normally needs to be added in a later step. If it's already added for you, you can always remove it and see what that does to the pricing.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Sinderelly
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRose View Post
Hi. First, when you say "FD" do you mean free dining?

Anyway, if it was me, I would go with two mod rooms. That way your son can go to sleep early and have peace. In a 2 bedroom villa, everyone else might be hanging out and conversing right outside his bedroom door. I usually request the top floor, too, so there is no noise from footsteps above me. Standard view rooms (as opposed to preferred) tend to be pretty quiet for me -- they don't overlook the pool and are away from the dining and bus stop foot traffic.

If you stay away from holiday weekends, fall is a nice time to visit.
Yes sorry I meant free dining. I like your top floor idea. Didn't think about that. Makes sense though the farther from the pools the quieter it gets Also, We might have to rent DS a scooter as he had a really bad accident due to a seizure while driving. He had back surgery but still has lots of pain.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Sinderelly
Princess

Ohhh yes Christmas decor! Does anyone know when that goes up? The FW cabins would be fine except from what I can tell the beds are all doubles. We just need at least queens (more than one bath too). Pull out sofa would be fine for the little ones. Does anyone know the least expensive way to do this w/ queen beds? I REALLY wish Pop had queens instead of doubles.

I know I may just have to resign myself to staying offsite or at Bonnet Creek. I wanted to ask the Disney Resort experts first though before I gave up

We almost lost our son dues to a seizure/accident so getting to take this trip is truly a huge blessing.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Simba07
Mouseketeer

Could you rent DVC points to get a 2br villa? You might be too late to get much other than saratoga springs, but that might come out to a similar price as two mod rooms.
Simba07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post
Ohhh yes Christmas decor! Does anyone know when that goes up? The FW cabins would be fine except from what I can tell the beds are all doubles. We just need at least queens (more than one bath too). Pull out sofa would be fine for the little ones. Does anyone know the least expensive way to do this w/ queen beds? I REALLY wish Pop had queens instead of doubles.
I think all the moderate resorts are getting, or have already gotten, queen beds, so getting 2 connecting mod rooms may be a good option. Of the mods, my favorite is POFQ, mainly because the grounds are so much more compact than the other mod resorts, which can all involve quite a bit of walking, and POFQ shares a very nice boat to DtD, if you'd like to go there without the current DtD parking hassle. Even though it's two rooms, I'm pretty sure this option would be quite a bit less expensive than a 2 BR villa.

The downside: as of the last time I checked, FD is NOT available at POFQ this year. That may change closer to this fall, if there are cancellations there, but I wouldn't count on it if FD is important to you.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
Kimberle
WL Vet

Have you looked at the Tree House Villa's? They are part of the SSR resort. I believe they sleep 8. They have full kitchens so you could save quite a bit of money by preparing many of your meals. They are a long walk to the bus, so I'd recommend having your own car.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
StephMS
Earning My Ears

The quietest room we ever had at WDW was at POR on the top floor of Acadian House. Virtually NO traffic outside our room and we never heard anything from our neighbors. We slept wonderfully there.

We have stayed in all the deluxes (except WL) and I have to say POR was quieter than any of them. Of course I think our location had a lot to do with that.
StephMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
DisneyObsessed87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinderelly

I know I may just have to resign myself to staying offsite or at Bonnet Creek. I wanted to ask the Disney Resort experts first though before I gave up

We almost lost our son dues to a seizure/accident so getting to take this trip is truly a huge blessing.
Christmas decor is suppose to be completely up by November 7th.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 6 (me, DH and 4 kids -- although 1 is 17 and the size of an adult man). We usually stay at a moderate with 2 rooms. Our favorite is POR but they do not have free dining. Last trip we stayed at CSR and enjoyed that. My little ones loved the pool at CSR, they said it was better than POR. I know CSR has queen beds. We had a standard view room (facing a parking lot) on the top floor and it was very quiet. I would avoid a pool view. Good luck with your planning.

Me(44) DH(48) DS18/ DD11 DS8 DS6

theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

As mentioned, I would look into renting DVC points.

Also check the Swan/Dolphin.

Good luck & have a great vacation!

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I second the idea of the Swan. If you go in Sept and have a nurse or teacher in your group, you can get awesome rates here. The rooms at the Swan have 2queen beds. Some have reported as low as $139 per night. You have to add resort fee ($23) per day plus parking fee ($20?) as well as transportation from the airport (no ME), but it is still a great rate for under$200 per night at a deluxe in an awesome location.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
epsmith921
Mouseketeer

If the biggest concern is the bed for your son, I will add a third recommendation for the swan. They have the Westin heavenly beds and my husband seriously wants one. They are lovely. The location for the price also can't be beat.

We even had a "standard view room" once that we were so disappointed about when we checked in. We got to see the roof of some of the convention area I think. Turns out at night, we faced DHS so we could see tower of terror lot up and some of the higher fireworks from fantasmic! Worked out in the end!

That said, if staying in one of the Disney resorts is important and you don't want to rent a car, one of the moderates is probably your best bet. We've only stayed in one and that was a number of years ago so I don't think it best for me to comment on that.
epsmith921 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: