Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
TheEmpress
2014 Honeymooners

Help Us Choose Where to Stay for Honeymoon

Hey all!

My fiancee and I are currently booked to stay at the Contemporary, Garden Wing Garden View. As we love the idea of the monorail, we noticed that there is a Villa available at the Animal Kingdom Kidani Villa- 1 Bedroom Villa. We would actually save about $700 if we would switch.

What we are concerned about is how far away Animal Kingdom is to everything. We somehow always end up at Magic Kingdom at night. In your opinion, is it that far away from everything?

Where would you stay??

~~~Before 2004 (6) times~ 2005 (FW)~ 2012 (POR) ~ 2013 (POR) ~ 2014 Dec Honeymoon (AKV Jambo House)~~~
TheEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
williamscm3
Mouseketeer

Animal kingdom is pretty far away...I would stay at the contemporary. We stayed there last year and you can't beat the location, especially when leaving MK after wishes.
williamscm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Kidani would give you a remote, more secluded feel. It is beautiful and well themed and I love the peaceful, exotic atmosphere. But if a location in the middle of things is what will be best for you - stay with the Contemporary. You know how you want to enjoy WDW - and since it is your honeymoon, I'd spend the extra to be where you want to be.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
robndani
DIS Veteran

While I do agree the close proximity to MK is a huge plus, AKL is awesome!!! It is a little farther to some of the parks, but I've had longer trips (including wait times) from BWV to MK, SSR to HS, etc. The good thing is that for the parks, the buses stop at Kidani first, so you'll never have a full bus when it pulls up.

While the Contemporary is great, fun, close to things, etc, I still feel that for a special event, it's more "hotel" like than "resort" like. ALK is beautiful and relaxing! Sunset by the pool at Kidani is amazing!

Congrats!

January 2015: BLT

Last edited by robndani; 07-26-2014 at 06:52 PM.
robndani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
TheEmpress
2014 Honeymooners

Awesome!!! Thank You all soo much for your input!

I was wrong on my original post.. It would cost us about $250.00 more to switch.. which is not a big deal to us...

We are still unsure as to where to go!!! I really like the idea of AKL being more of a resort... and the Villa will be more "honeymoon" feel...

However, I know how we are when we get to Disney.. We stay in the parks till they kick us out.. Especially MK.. We are doing the Dessert Party one night.. Our last night we always go get goodies from the Confectionary to bring home.. We love it there.. So the Contemporary would be a better location....

Decisions.. Decisions..

~~~Before 2004 (6) times~ 2005 (FW)~ 2012 (POR) ~ 2013 (POR) ~ 2014 Dec Honeymoon (AKV Jambo House)~~~
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Personally, for a honeymoon, AKL would be my first pick. The space is stunning, restaurants are good, hot tubs feel private, etc. it gives a feeling of getting away from it all. I never understood the "far away" issues. The furthest park is MK but EPCOT and HS are no farther from there then the MK resorts. Basically it's a bit of a longer bus ride late at night but for a place that's larger than Manhattan I have no complaints! Depends on what you want your honeymoon experience to be but I certainly think AKL is a top resort for a couple trying to have a romantic get away.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
SillySallySews
Mouseketeer

I love AKL! I think it's gorgeous, peaceful, unique, and has great dining options. But if it were my honeymoon, convenience would win. I'd much rather take a romantic 10 minute stroll or a super quick monorail ride back to my room every night vs. waiting for a bus.
SillySallySews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

AKL is gorgeous! But, based on how you tour MK, I would stick with CR. I personally would much rather stroll back to my resort after MK closes than to have to wait for a bus and then ride for 20 minutes or more.

Perhaps consider a 1-bedroom at BLT or WL? You would get the space and still have the proximity to MK.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
minniegirl19
Mouseketeer

would you consider somewhere like wilderness lodge? its similar to AKL but close to MK.. being in the garden rooms i would consider switching to there they are more farther away from the main building then people realize
1995 All Stars, 1997 All Stars, 1998 Polynesian ,1999 Port Orleans Riverside, 2000 All Stars, 2001 All Stars, 2002 Polynesian, 2003 All Stars/ Swan and Dolphin, 2004 All Stars, 2005 Polynesian, 2011 All Stars, 2012 Disney College Program, 2012 All Stars, 2013 Pop Century, Disneyland May 2013, August 2013 Art of Animation, August 2014 Wilderness Lodge
minniegirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I would go for a 1 bedroom- it will give you a king room and a private jacuzzi tub as well as a kitchen if you wanted to have snacks or breakfast on hand. You also have 2 rooms so if you are not used to having someone right there all the time you could take a little alone time their- it just depends on whether either of you are introverts and need a little space.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
TheEmpress
2014 Honeymooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
I would go for a 1 bedroom- it will give you a king room and a private jacuzzi tub as well as a kitchen if you wanted to have snacks or breakfast on hand. You also have 2 rooms so if you are not used to having someone right there all the time you could take a little alone time their- it just depends on whether either of you are introverts and need a little space.
I KNOW!!! The JACUZZI!! I love the idea of the villa!! Such great Points!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniegirl19 View Post
would you consider somewhere like wilderness lodge? its similar to AKL but close to MK.. being in the garden rooms i would consider switching to there they are more farther away from the main building then people realize
Well... normally, we would consider the Wilderness Lodge. They actually have a honeymoon suite.. HOWEVER, my honeymoon is actually a month after our wedding. My Sister, Brother in Law, Niece, Nephew, Mother and Father, decided to book a family vacation the same week will be on our honeymoon stating they did not think we would take our honeymoon at that time. They are staying at the Wilderness Lodge.. So Unfortunately, we do not want to make that an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
AKL is gorgeous! But, based on how you tour MK, I would stick with CR. I personally would much rather stroll back to my resort after MK closes than to have to wait for a bus and then ride for 20 minutes or more.

Perhaps consider a 1-bedroom at BLT or WL? You would get the space and still have the proximity to MK.
This.. right here is why we chose the Contemporary when we were deciding on a spot to stay at 6 months ago when booking. Since we are at the parks ALL DAY.. we are normally dead beat tired by the time we get out and want to get back to our rooms Pronto!

We would actually love to book the BLT, but they are sold out that week that we are going!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: