DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
StitchBuddy
DIS Veteran

Difference in buying direct vs resale??

Ok, besides the obvious, which is price (resale) and I think I heard opportnity to get Disney Cruise with points (buying directl), what are the perks/benefits of buying directly from Disney vs resale?? Thanks! I am leaaning towards resale.
StitchBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
crisi
DIS Veteran

You get a contract from Disney that has Mickey ears and palm trees on it if you buy direct. And I think usually a little present, like a bag

The biggest difference is that options in the Disney collection - cruises, Adventurers by Disney, and the ability to use points to book Disney hotels aren't available to resale owners. However, all of those tend to be "a poor use of points" - in that if you rent your points through David at $11 per, you'll have almost always (but not always) done better than spending points for those options.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
rcchello
DIS Veteran

1. Speed of transaction, with direct you can have the use of your points within weeks , not months.
2.Direct points can be used for Disney, cruise, hotels and Adventures by Disney (economically not a great deal).
3. Direct owners are able to go on DVC sponsored cruises.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Direct purchase is easier, faster, and gives more (very point-expensive) options for use. Almost all of those extra options would be much cheaper to simply book for cash outside of DVC.

The only reason to buy resale is cost. For my family, we literally saved $18,000 by resale purchase, versus what the identical contract would have cost direct. That was worth quite a lot more inconvenience to me than is actually experienced as part of a resale purchase.

You would need to assess your own situation to know which answer is right for you.

Two final points-

1. If you're definitely wanting VGF for every or almost every trip, currently there isn't enough of a cost differential on the resale market to go that route. Today, for VGF, I would buy direct. In a couple years, that answer likely will change.

2. Whichever way you buy, the sole point of a DVC ownership is to save money. So my recommendation would be that you buy no more than you can pay cash to purchase. If you finance, you dramatically erode whatever cost savings DVC might offer.

Good luck with your decision!
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchBuddy View Post
Ok, besides the obvious, which is price (resale) and I think I heard opportnity to get Disney Cruise with points (buying directl), what are the perks/benefits of buying directly from Disney vs resale?? Thanks! I am leaaning towards resale.
Other than the loss of options to pay more using points with retail than with less points and cash OOP or the speed, not much. I see the delay as a positive as it forces people to learn the system better to make a more informed decision. IMO, the only times when it's reasonable to buy retail is for very small add ons, for things not available otherwise if they are important to you and where the price difference is small.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: