Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I have taken my children and now my grandchildren to WDW ALONE so many times that I have lost count. I started solo trips with kids while they were still in diapers. DH went occasionally, but for 2 - 3 trips per year I almost always went without him, but with my 2 kids. They grew up with WDW to the point that when they were married, both wanted to honeymoon in WDW (Epcot area for both!). Now my son and his wife and 2 daughters have been going twice per year since the kiddies were born. My daughter has been living in the UK, but has just returned and I am sure will be going to WDW with my sweet grandson very soon.

What can i say? We LOVE WDW! In all those trips, I never had an issue travelling with the kids. Always safe, always easy! Disney makes it so convenient to travel as a single Mom with children, with pre teens it will be so easy and wonderful!!! You will LOVE IT!!! Your kids will LOVE IT!!!

DO NOT WORRY!!!! Tell your Mom about how safe and easy other parents have found their trips to WDW to be and how much of a positive impact it will have on the children. Reassure her that all will be fine. IT Will!! Do not worry, just look forward to the wonderful adventure that you will have together.

BTW, Pop is an awesome choice! Walking over to AoA is fun too!

Enjoy!!!! Disney is a magical experience!!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #32
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbylove View Post
THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the words of encouragement and the advice. I am definitely going to make this happen and have decided to go with Pop Century (my son wants to visit the Cars section of AoA).

To make up for lack of a pool slide I am adding the water park and more option. We are going for exactly 7 nights/8 days, is that enough time for the water parks and theme parks? This isn't our first trip but it has been quite a while since we've been to Disney.
Yes you will have time to do what you want. Just plan out ahead of time your must dos. On my first solo trip with a 4 year old, an 11 year old and a 13 year old none of them had ever been to Disney. We did a lot more than we have in recent trips because we did one park a day as opposed to park hopping.

We stayed at POP and had a great time exploring the resort. We have since stayed at AoA and the Cars section is amazing.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #33
DisneyObsessed87
Mouseketeer

I took my son to WDW alone two years ago when he was five. Best trip of my life. It was so great being just the two of us. I think having older kids it would be even easier... Not that going alone was difficult for me. Staying on site and taking advantage of the transportation will be a big help. Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #34
beccajslater23
Earning My Ears

I'm traveling alone with my 10 year old next week and couldn't be more excited!!! Staying on site with no worries at all! Massively stoked.
beccajslater23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
boltfan
Mouseketeer

I've been taking my 3 kids without my husband for many years. He's not a Disney fan, so he stays home and watches the pets! Anyway, I like staying at POFQ because it is smaller than the other resorts, and the kids don't feel overwhelmed. It's the first bus stop on the PO run, so you're always guaranteed a seat, and it's the first stop coming back, so you get off quickly with those exhausted kids. I've never had an issue with just myself and 3 kids, so I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
jcondrad
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add my thoughts. I did a solo trip last year with a 1 year old and a 4 year old. I stayed offsite at a condo, had a rental car and had not one bit of trouble! Everything is so easy to find while driving, for me the stress of waiting on buses or maybe not having a seat would have been worse! Plus the folding and unfolding a stroller! Ugh!

I think either way, on site or off, you will be fine! Everyone there is so helpful and even other visitors are willing to help if they see you struggling. If you don't do Magical Express, make sure you flag someone at the airport to help gather and transport your luggage to the rental car...it was a lifesaver for me!

jcondrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #37
Jules123
Mouseketeer

I just returned from my first solo trip with my DS9 and DS12. We had such an amazing trip! I was very nervous as this was my first time traveling alone with them and their first time to fly. Disney makes everything SO easy. Loved Magical Express! We stayed at AS Sports - our first time at a value. My kids LOVED it there. They enjoyed playing on the football field every day and made tons of friends. My youngest said he had more fun at the hotel than the parks!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #38
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Girl, you can do this!!!!! Single mom here too and I took my kids ages 8 and 12 at the time to Pop. They loved it. I was able to do the water park option so not having a slide at the resort pool wasn't that big a deal. Sure Pop is very busy, but guess what, you're at Disney in August........just have fun and make those memories!!!! My daughter loved getting her hair braided at the little kiosk there and the darn thing stayed in forever......finally had to cut it out after a couple of weeks. I know you will have a blast and they will always remember this time with you. Doesn't get any better than that!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #39
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbylove View Post
Thanks for responding. I could really afford to do both but I thought as preteens (12 & 13) they may prefer the moderates because of the slides and the bigger beds. My daughter and I will share a bed and my son will have his own bed. We have dining reservations at Sci-Fi and Chef Mickey already and I have a room on hold at Pop. My mom's worrying has me worrying and 2nd guessing my plans. This is so silly I am an adult over 30 and I wanna go to Disney
What GREAT ages to take them to WDW!!!!!!! I did not read the responses you have gotten so far so my apologies if I am repeating.
~ I'm a single mom too (we rock!) I took my 3 boys last year on our 1st trip to WDW ever they were: 13, 13 & 9. We had the BEST week of our lives. We still discuss it! Definately stay onsite, we stayed at POR but planning on CSR for 2015.
Plan a character meal for decent food and award winning photos! We did garden grill and the pictures are studio worthy and are proudly displayed in my foyer where anyone who sees them can't stop looking. Plan a chill day. Where you don't go to a park, but wake up late, sit by the pool and plan an ADR at a resort that night.
My boys loved Typhoon Lagoon for a day as well.
My boys enjoyed going to grab drinks and sitting by the pool one day when I did some laundry. Things I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them do offsite. A few hours at DTD is fun too!
Let me know if u have any further questions!!!!
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #40
2fortheShow
Earning My Ears

I have also take my DS alone with me many times. You do not need to worry about the kids running away when you turn your back. You will have a great time.
2fortheShow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #41
azureskies
Mouseketeer

I am also a single mom, we are going in Sept and Oct (6-day and 5-day). My son will be turning 16 in Aug. I feel totally comfortable going and would have when he was a younger teen and pre-teen. I would have not felt comfortable going when he was younger. It will be my first and second times going with a child, I went when I was a child and at 21, so I am no help as to how everything will work. The two of us decided together we can figure it all out. With yours being 12 and 13, I would guess between the three of you you will be just fine. Have a blast!

1976 - off-site
1992 - off-site
2014 - All-Star Movies, Pop Century, All-Star Sports (mini stay)
2015 -
azureskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #42
Sydney2977
Mouseketeer

Great choice- both to take the kids to WDW as a single mom, and the Cars section of AoA!
My mom would be saying the same thing- she's a bit overprotective of me too, and I've been married and out of the house since I was 19
My DH is protective of me and the kids too. The only vacation we took without him was when he was deployed and we flew back to Texas to visit all of our families (I wanted to drive with the kids as a fun road trip, but he insisted we flew). The one place he would have no problem with us traveling to, piece of mind wise, would be WDW! (he would just be jealous he couldn't go)
You will have a blast with your kids, and the length of time sounds perfect to enjoy the regular and water parks. At their age they can probably do some things on their own, like walking to the food court to get drinks or snacks, and the quiet pool in the Cars section is gated and requires the magic band to get in so they could even take a dip while you do something else.

2013 Pre-trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post49361617

2013 Trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post50187824

All-Star Music April 2002All-Star Movies September 2003Pop!Century February 2006All-Star Sports January 2007Coronado Springs October 2010Coronado Springs November 2011Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2013
Sydney2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #43
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

The idea that Somebody could tell me that I'm too (fill in the blank) to take my own kids to Disney by myself is just absurd to me. I gave birth to them, I've been 100% responsible for them 100% of the time since then, even when I was still married. They are people and I'm trying to teach them responsibility, independence, resiliency...how could I can I do that if I can't even go to a resort vacation. Disney pretty much lays out a red carpet and encourages you to make resort, dining, and even ride decisions months in advance so that when you get there you are pretty much...never mind.

CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #44
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Seven nights is totally good. Do each of the 4 parks one time, and repeat one that all agree on. Do one day in each of the waterparks, then build in some DTD to use your water fun and more to get into Disney Quest and do one or two of the mini golfs. That will use up your 5 fun and more tickets, assuming you are buying a 5 day one park pass.

Great ages to have fun hanging out. No strollers, can stay out late, and build in some time for you.

Have a great trip!

My DH has to work and he is not a Disney fan, so I am taking our kids, 16 and 12, to Disney and USO for vacation in August. We cannot wait. And because we are a military family, I have been traveling alone with my kids since both were months old.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
thiabelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPool View Post
The idea that Somebody could tell me that I'm too (fill in the blank) to take my own kids to Disney by myself is just absurd to me. I gave birth to them, I've been 100% responsible for them 100% of the time since then, even when I was still married. They are people and I'm trying to teach them responsibility, independence, resiliency...how could I can I do that if I can't even go to a resort vacation. Disney pretty much lays out a red carpet and encourages you to make resort, dining, and even ride decisions months in advance so that when you get there you are pretty much...never mind.

This .
I'm a pseudo single mom- my DH lives and works overseas (not military) so I am home with my DD(13). I have felt since she was about 4 years old that "have kid will travel" is our motto. She just goes. Sure my mom worries about us but that has never stopped us from going anywhere and we have gone to places way scarier than WDW (Mom is still getting over us bebopping to Laos and Cambodia last year!!). Frankly when I tell her we are going to Disney she's like "oh good". DD even flew home from London BY HERSELF!! Maybe you could tell your mom it could be way worse!! Plus what I bolded is what I want for my DD (just said way better by CoolPool).
thiabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: