Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I am driving my twin DDs-15 to WDW (from MD) this Aug for a 5 night stay. My DH and DS will stay home but meet us in Hilton Head on the way back home (for a 5 night stay there). My DDs and I are looking forward to the trip. Just recently I convinced my mom to join us. We are driving in her car (sharing driving). I feel a little better having her with me...mostly for the hotel stop on the way down (other than that, I was feeling just fine about going solo with my DDs). I was a little nervous about checking into a hotel in an area I don't know all by myself (with 2 teen girls).

You'll be fine. I think you are smart to book onsite. We stayed at POR once and that was nice (other than POR, we have done all the DVC resorts and CR). I have been in Pop Century and it looks neat. You should go for it...it will be fun!!! You could make a couple really fun ADRs too (I booked the Luau as a surprise for my DDs).

Last edited by lovin'fl; 06-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
lovin'fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
sndral
DIS Veteran

Please don't let your mother's unreasonable anxiety stop you from creating wonderful memories of time spent with your children. Before you know it they will be grown and on their own.
I assume your mom has not traveled as a solo adult or solo parent w/ children on a WDW vacation, because if she had she would know there is nothing to be afraid of or anxious about. Her fear is of the unknown, I'm sure. That first trip as a solo parent is a bit daunting leading up to it - but the minute you are all on the plane on your way that fear starts to fade. By the end of the DME ride after you actually open the door to your room your anxiety is gone, you are there and your thoughts are turning to excitement and anticipation. Then you walk into the MK with your kids and have to hold back your tears as you see the castle and you hear their excitement as they debate what they'll ride first, and any worry is replaced by the joy of being able to share this with your children.
Tell mom you'll call her when you arrive and you'll check in occasionally while there so she knows it's all good, but you are going and the subject is closed.
BTW, I've read CSR has a great pool.
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
usagibuffy
Mouseketeer

Your kids are old enough it should be a cakewalk. While I haven't done an overnighter alone, I routinely take my two (ages 4 and 2) to Disneyland for the day, just the 3 of us. We're adding a baby in Sept, and I plan to be taking all 3 kids by myself by Christmastime. I feel like if the opportunity arose, I could take my current two on a trip alone. You'll be fine!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #19
Lillabelle0
Mouseketeer

I just returned from my fourth solo trip with my children. They are now 13 and 11. We have always stayed onsite. We have felt safe every time we went. I drive so we venture off-site to to do other things as well. Confidence is key. It gets easier every time I go! We have always stayed at mods cuse of slides but kids informed me this time that they were slow and not fun. We checked into POP for the first time and found it to be sufficient. Rooms were smaller as were the beds. We, however, just need a place to lay our heads! We close the parks! I always had an assigned spot for us to meet if we got separated. I truly have never felt unsafe. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask or Pm me. I'm not sure if I thoroughly answered your questions. Btw, my mother used to freak too.. I would inform her that it doesn't take male anatomy to drive a car and vacation! She always worried that I traveled without a man!! Heehee!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #20
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Piece of cake. I agree with the idea PO French Quarter. However, Coronado Springs would be awfully fun too, but it is huge.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #21
rd6338
Earning My Ears

I have only stayed in PO Riverside for a moderate, and it is pretty big. With any of the bigger moderates, if it is within the budget, upgrade to a preferred room. My first trip to Riverside, we were in one of the back buildings, which was a 15 minute walk to the food court, store, etc. When we upgraded to preferred on a later trip, we were in the farthest preferred building from the food court and it was still less than a 5 minute walk.

A little more money, but worth it in my opinion.

I have a 17, 13, and 4. My wife and I travel together with all three boys but I am often with the older boys by myself at the parks. Should not be a problem at all.
rd6338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I started traveling solo to WDW with my DS when he was just shy of his 4th birthday and have taken him solo about 10 times since. He is now almost 7 and we have so much fun on our trips! It's a special time to be together and I know I will always cherish these trips.

You'll be fine. I, too, would choose a moderate and spring for a preferred room to be closer to the main building. If a good discount comes out, you may even want to consider AKL or WL.

My mother has terrible anxiety, but does not live close by. So, when we go on our trips - I don't tell her!! It would literally worry her sick - even if DH were with me. She used to track our flights and watch CNN to see if any planes went down and then call incessantly. Wasn't really fun for anybody.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
dpswift
DIS Veteran

You will be fine. I have traveled to Disney by myself with kids many times. I have always stayed value. Mostly POP once at Movies.

Your kids are older so you do not have to worry about strollers and carrying them back after a long day in the parks.

The only recommendation would be to get a room close to the bus stops and food court. So much easier to grab a drink or a snack.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #24
CSchex
Mouseketeer

Go! And Enjoy!

You will be just fine. My sister and I have made solo trips with our children and felt very safe. If you do choose to stay in a disney resort, the transportation is great, you can relax while they drive you to whatever park you wish to visit. We have stayed at the values and the moderates, but prefer the moderates. I like the theming and like the fact that I can park my car so close to the room at the moderates. I prefer the free dining over the discount when we travel there because I love to relax and have a great meal in the evening. Depending on your dates, you may be able to get the dining plan free. I always find this takes a lot of the stress out of meal planning because I don't have to watch every nickel and dime we spend on food. My kids like being able to order what they want. Definitely go, have a great time with your kids and tell your mom not to worry!

http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/][/url
CSchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
*pixie*dust*
DIS Veteran

Absolutely go! WDW is an easy vacation for a single parent. It's safe, you don't have to do a lot of driving and it's all about fun! If you are going to spend a lot of time in the park, I would go for a value resort and save the extra $$ for fun stuff.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #26
CWdreamer
Mouseketeer

I am a single parent and traveled with my two teenagers and stayed at POFQ (they were 12 & 14). It was so easy to get around and worked very well. A few years later, I took my two teens (then 14 & 16) and my teenage niece (19) and stayed at CR and that was great too!

Any resort on property is your best choice. The fun part is choosing the one that you like best.
POFQ - Oct 2010
CWdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
msjessey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbylove View Post
Hello, Originally I planned a trip to Disney for August with a few family members (staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek) but they have now backed out and I am faced with the possibility of going to Disney by myself with two kids. My mom is worried about me being alone with just the kids. I don't want my mom to worry but at the same time I don't want to cancel my vacation. I've had to cancel my previous vacations over the past few years for various reasons and do not want to disappoint the kids or myself yet again. Any advice for a single parent traveling to Disney? My plans are to stay at a Disney resort so that I do not have to drive. And we will use Magical Express from the airport. I have a 30% off pin code. Which resort would you suggest? I am leaning toward a value (Pop Century or All Star Sports) or moderate (Coronado Springs) Thanks
I'm married but my husband hates to travel and I love to travel. We have a 5 year old and I've found Disney to be a super easy vacation for me and her to do alone. I have never felt unsafe and with transportation readily available, everything is so easy. Also, most people are very friendly. When we were there a few weeks ago people helped me get her off the bus because she was completely passed out, a "problem" I had not anticipated. Anyways, go and have a great time and tell your mom not to worry. Mine is the same way too. I like POP and POFQ.
msjessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
savedbylove
Earning My Ears

Smile Thanks so much!

THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the words of encouragement and the advice. I am definitely going to make this happen and have decided to go with Pop Century (my son wants to visit the Cars section of AoA).

To make up for lack of a pool slide I am adding the water park and more option. We are going for exactly 7 nights/8 days, is that enough time for the water parks and theme parks? This isn't our first trip but it has been quite a while since we've been to Disney.
savedbylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

I like your plans! I don't think the hotel pool slides would be much entertainment for kids the age of yours. Waterpark? Yeah!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #30
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer

It took me 7 years to pluck up the courage to take myself and my daughter to WDW and I regret taking that amount of time so much, staying at the Disney resorts is so safe and the transportation is great. Go for it!
Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: