Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
LadyP
Earning My Ears

I would love to visit New Orleans some day but I don't like that theme of decor, in general. There are authentic Mardi Gras masks, huge ones, in the food court at POFQ that are a little scary. HOWEVER, POFQ is the smallest resort so the pool, the food court and the bus stop were all very close to our room. It was soo nice. If I would stay at POR, I would pay extra for the preferred room to be close to pool, dining facilities, bus, etc.

DH, DS (7) and Me
GF 2012, POFQ 2013, BC 2014
Epcot Millennium Parade 2000
Cast Member 1997-2000
Disneyland Hotel Paris 1993
CR 1977 & 78
LadyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #17
AtlantaDisneyDreamer
Mouseketeer

Not a part of the POR Army, but we loved our stay there last year and I often tell people what a great resort it is.

There are winding paths around the "river," and I enjoyed just walking around in the evening. It feels very quiet and relaxed.

The pool has a fun, kind of Tom Sawyer feel, and it is shady and well-landscaped.

The water wheel is a nice touch, too. We enjoyed the food court very much. We never saw major crowds other than during prime breakfast hours, and the food was quite good.

We are from the South ourselves, and we love the feel and the theme of the resort. The music is fun, too.

The boat to DTD was convenient, and there was a pirate cruise for the kids that looked like it would be a lot of fun.

We stayed in the Royal Rooms, and yes, they are a bit of a walk to the food court, but personally, I loved walking around the beautiful resort so much that I enjoyed getting exercise in such a beautiful place. We were also glad that the Royal Rooms did not require us to use the main bus depot. It was always a lot more crowded than the East Depot, which was closer to our room. And the bus stopped for us first, which meant we always had a seat (at least on the way to the parks... the way home was another story...).
AtlantaDisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEsq View Post
The crucial point for us is that it's a Moderate but has Queen sized beds.
FWIW, all the mods have queen beds except CBR - however, they are currently going through a refurb and will have queens when they're done...

People gravitate towards POFQ because it's small. All rooms are preferred because you can walk from one end of the resort to the other in 5 minutes. The DTD boat from both POFQ and POR is a really nice perk, especially considering how awful bus service to DTD is. Lately, driving to and from DTD is worse due to the construction.

It's a little less clear why people gravitate towards POR. The royal rooms and the fact that its the only mod that holds families of 5 (except the cabins) are definite draws. For us, it's the food court - we think its the best on property.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Wow , really interesting reading such opposing views on this resort! It os a well know favorite on DIS....

I steer clear of the whole mess and stay at the POLY (Unless your from Hawaii I suppose).

Oh wait.....construction there! Better not stay if your from NYC either , might remind you of home too!
:P
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

I thought the Royal Room location was okay. They're not that much further from the food court than the preferrred rooms, so I don't think it's fair to say that the location is undesirable. The grounds were pretty.

The only thing I didn't care for was the transportation system.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
There is no preferred room at CSR that would take me more than 3-4 mins to walk to the food court and most are with in a 2 min walk. There is a video on Buzz's site where someone records walking from the far reaches of the Ranchos section to the main building in 7 mins at a normal walking pace. So to say a preferred room is a long walk to food court is misleading to people trying to decide where to stay.

It's also a well known fact that the Royal rooms at POR are in the least desirable location at POR. Thats why they made those rooms the Royal rooms. Just like the Pirate rooms at CBR are in the worst location. Not looking to argue, I just want people to have truthful information to make a decision best for them.
It is all about perception, right? Having different perceptions doesn't make one more truthful than another. I can only tell about my truth. If we all had the same views, this would be a web site presenting information rather than a discussion board.

To be fair, they were doing work outside our room for most of our stay, but I found it very hard to get around Coronado Springs, and I'm not someone who normally has issues with stuff like that. We were in a second floor room in Casitas 3, and, following the signs, you walked all through Casitas to get to the room. I joked the whole time about the maze to our room. We must have been in the furthest possible room from any stairs, because we had to go down several walkways to use the stairs, and a number of times, we would get to the stairs to discover they were closed off. I liked everything about CS except our room location. The bus stops were close and easy to get to though, once you got to the first level.

I wouldn't call the RR locations undesirable at all. It took 2-3 minutes at most to get to the main bus stop, the building I was in was beautiful, and the theming was fun.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

POFQ is our favorite moderate not our favorite WDW resort.

Why?

#1 Reason - the size of the resort. The only area that is crowded is the food court and bus area during regular peak times. Everywhere else you seem to be alone or not shuffling along with the crowd. At time we enjoy sitting at the playground with maybe 1 -2 other families watching our DS play while listening to jazz music.

Boat - the boat to DTD is so relaxing and better than the bus. When our son was smaller, he would fall asleep every ride.

The gift shop is quaint.

I think we are the only family ever in the arcade.

You don't have to worry about your room location because they are all good and close.

I can't say enough positive things about it.

Try it!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeMommy View Post
It is all about perception, right? Having different perceptions doesn't make one more truthful than another. I can only tell about my truth. If we all had the same views, this would be a web site presenting information rather than a discussion board.

To be fair, they were doing work outside our room for most of our stay, but I found it very hard to get around Coronado Springs, and I'm not someone who normally has issues with stuff like that. We were in a second floor room in Casitas 3, and, following the signs, you walked all through Casitas to get to the room. I joked the whole time about the maze to our room. We must have been in the furthest possible room from any stairs, because we had to go down several walkways to use the stairs, and a number of times, we would get to the stairs to discover they were closed off. I liked everything about CS except our room location. The bus stops were close and easy to get to though, once you got to the first level.

I wouldn't call the RR locations undesirable at all. It took 2-3 minutes at most to get to the main bus stop, the building I was in was beautiful, and the theming was fun.
Actually it's not about perception. I'm talking about actual fact. Because of people's perception I time every walk and bus wait while at CSR. My wife will vouch for you that I'm probably nuts!! Lol!!

However she is now a believer, because I have proven to her that her bus waits were actually a fraction of her perception. She is one of those people that I laugh at at the bus stop who are complaint they have been waiting for 1/2 hour when they have actually been standing there for 8 mins!

When stayed in a 4th floor room in Casitas 4 which is farther away from the food court than any preferred room. ALL walk to the food court that involved myself and my son took 3-4 mins. It took about 1 min longer if my wife was with us. This was during a 14 night stay in which this walk was made many many times.

We stayed in Ranchos 7B which is on the far side of the resort for 10 nights. All walks from there were 5-7 mins. Depending if my wife walked with us.

12 nights in Business Class Cabanas 9B and walks were 2 mins.

This is not perception it is fact. I timed it. There is a video on Buzz's CSR website in which someone videos their walk from Ranchos 6 which is farther than any of the locations mentioned and 3 times as fer from the food court as your preferred room and it takes 7 mins. This isn't perception, it is fact. You can see the time counting in the video and see that they are walking at a normal walking pace.

What is the point of this rant? It bothers me when people on here make false statements scaring people away from something they might like. A normal healthy person can walk a lap around the entire CSR resort in 15 mins, so when people post that it takes 25 mins to walk from their room to the food court it's just simply false, unless they have a physical condition that makes it take that long.

As far as the Royal rooms at POR. I don't have any actual facts. I have read numerous reviews stating they are farther away then most other rooms at POR, but I don't really know for sure.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #24
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Actually it's not about perception. I'm talking about actual fact. Because of people's perception I time every walk and bus wait while at CSR. My wife will vouch for you that I'm probably nuts!! Lol!!

However she is now a believer, because I have proven to her that her bus waits were actually a fraction of her perception. She is one of those people that I laugh at at the bus stop who are complaint they have been waiting for 1/2 hour when they have actually been standing there for 8 mins!

When stayed in a 4th floor room in Casitas 4 which is farther away from the food court than any preferred room. ALL walk to the food court that involved myself and my son took 3-4 mins. It took about 1 min longer if my wife was with us. This was during a 14 night stay in which this walk was made many many times.

We stayed in Ranchos 7B which is on the far side of the resort for 10 nights. All walks from there were 5-7 mins. Depending if my wife walked with us.

12 nights in Business Class Cabanas 9B and walks were 2 mins.

This is not perception it is fact. I timed it. There is a video on Buzz's CSR website in which someone videos their walk from Ranchos 6 which is farther than any of the locations mentioned and 3 times as fer from the food court as your preferred room and it takes 7 mins. This isn't perception, it is fact. You can see the time counting in the video and see that they are walking at a normal walking pace.

What is the point of this rant? It bothers me when people on here make false statements scaring people away from something they might like. A normal healthy person can walk a lap around the entire CSR resort in 15 mins, so when people post that it takes 25 mins to walk from their room to the food court it's just simply false, unless they have a physical condition that makes it take that long.

As far as the Royal rooms at POR. I don't have any actual facts. I have read numerous reviews stating they are farther away then most other rooms at POR, but I don't really know for sure.
Interesting that you get so up in arms when someone else criticizes CSR or expresses an experience that doesn't correlate directly with yours. You admit to being bothered by others giving opinions that might adversely effect someones decision to possibly stay there.

But you still feel free to state as fact that the Royal Rooms at POR are in the least desirable location in the resort. This, despite your statement that you don't have any actual facts on the resort. All you need to do is look at a map. Very easy to find. One look will tell you that Oak Hall is actually the closest mansion to the main buildings. And Parterre Place is no further away from the main buildings than Magnolia Terrace. In fact, if desirability is only determined by distance, the least desirable buildings would be 24 or 34 in the AB section- the closest thing to being marooned in the far reaches of CSRs ranchos. If you think it so important that people receive truthful information, then perhaps you should take a page from our own book next time.

Last edited by minnie mum; 06-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #25
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's also a well known fact that the Royal rooms at POR are in the least desirable location at POR. Thats why they made those rooms the Royal rooms. Just like the Pirate rooms at CBR are in the worst location. Not looking to argue, I just want people to have truthful information to make a decision best for them.
We just stayed in a royal room in November and the location was awesome. Maybe a 3 minute walk to the main building and main pool. We were in building 90, garden view so we were closer to the bridge that connects closest to the main building. Both Royal Room buildings were very desireable locations. I can say from experience that Alligator Bayou building 24 was further than anywhere we ever stayed before, so the royal room location was perfect compared to that. It was so far from everything when we stayed in building 24 and this is coming from someone who actually doesn't mind the walking because the resort is so beautiful.

I love POFQ even more because of its small size and the grounds are so pretty. The rooms are really nice too. I think Riverside appeals more to families of 5 since AB rooms have the murphy beds. I haven't stayed anywhere else since 2007 when we stayed at POR for the first time and POFQ for the first time in 2008. It does come down to personal preference and these 2 resorts our our preference.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Interesting that you get so up in arms when someone else criticizes CSR or expresses an experience that doesn't correlate directly with yours. You admit to being bothered by others giving opinions that might adversely effect someones decision to possibly stay there.

But you still feel free to state as fact that the Royal Rooms at POR are in the least desirable location in the resort. This, despite your statement that you don't have any actual facts on the resort. All you need to do is look at a map. Very easy to find. One look will tell you that Oak Hall is actually the closest mansion to the main buildings. And Parterre Place is no further away from the main buildings than Magnolia Terrace. In fact, if desirability is only determined by distance, the least desirable buildings would be 24 or 34 in the AB section- the closest thing to being marooned in the far reaches of CSRs ranchos.
The use of the word "fact" in my earlier post about he Royal rooms was incorrect. It was a statement based on reviews read on DIS, so you're correct not a fact. I stand by my "facts" on CSR however.

I don't question others experiences as far as whether they enjoyed their stay, that is obviously up to them. However walking distances are fact not opinion.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
jeepwreck
DIS Veteran

we love POFQ we stayed there for our honeymoon.

for the size of the resort you cant complain it is one of the smallest resorts so it does not have that cramp feeling like some of the large resorts have when it comes to getting on the buses or eating. yes POFQ does have a small food court area but it seems to have a good turn over so there are always a place to eat. so it seems to be pretty quite in the evenings

i like how they play movies out in the middle courtyard which is always a nice treat to came back to

i love the ability to walk from the bus stop at the end of a day in a park to our room with out walking for ever. we have a favorite building we like to stay at long the river which is not far from the main building.

also the ability to get to DTD with just a boat ride is a great plus too.
Hello my name is Jeff….. and I am a disoholic!
Me , (DW)Emily , (DS)James
jeepwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #28
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
The use of the word "fact" in my earlier post about he Royal rooms was incorrect. It was a statement based on reviews read on DIS, so you're correct not a fact. I stand by my "facts" on CSR however.

I don't question others experiences as far as whether they enjoyed their stay, that is obviously up to them. However walking distances are fact not opinion.
No. Walking distances are not opinion. And of course YOUR walking TIMES are fact. But I can assure you that they are not the fact for all resort guests. If I attempted to lap the resort in under 15 minute's I'd be ruined for the rest of the day. My much younger and fitter DD also found the walking times more than she cared for. Your experiences are yours. Other peoples experiences are no less valid because they are different.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #29
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
No. Walking distances are not opinion. And of course YOUR walking TIMES are fact. But I can assure you that they are not the fact for all resort guests. If I attempted to lap the resort in under 15 minute's I'd be ruined for the rest of the day. My much younger and fitter DD also found the walking times more than she cared for. Your experiences are yours. Other peoples experiences are no less valid because they are different.
I feel that my stated walking times are for a normal healthy adult with no physical limitations. If someone is claiming significantly longer walking times there should be a disclaimer stating there limitation causing it to take that long.

Even being a 7 min walk from Ranchos not somewhere between 15-25 like I've seen stated I can relate to not wanting to have a room in that section. That's why I pay extra for a Business Class room!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
dimndgal1
One little spark...

While we enjoyed POR, we weren`t blown away like many are. The scenery is pretty, the walks nice, and it does have a great food court, but that`s it... it was nice. Also, we had a RR and found it more than a 3 or 4 min walk to the main building. This was only an issue to us the first 2 nights when we had torrential downpours (where we did our best to make the walk 3-4 min), otherwise we didn`t mind the walk - it was scenic and quiet... but it was a walk.
Our biggest complain about POR were the busses... we had a stop near our room but felt the need to go to the stop by the main building to try to beat the crowd. It worked in that we could drop in and fill up our mug but felt like the benefit of having a busstop near our room was mitigated.
Overall we liked POR, but it didn`t leave the warm fuzzies we expected. If anything, we came away feeling neither unhappy or wowed.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: