Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
hurricane
Earning My Ears

What's so special about Port Orleans?

I'm from the New Orleans area and I always hear people raving about POR. I've never stayed there, I just wanted to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Not that the place seems unappealing, but I'm not one the have a "home away from home" vacation. But I will definitely visiting this resort next year.
June 2010 - Coronado Springs!
June 2014 - Art of Animation! (Graduation Gift!)
Upcoming: November 2015 - Bay Lake Tower

hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
BeckyEsq
Mouseketeer.

The crucial point for us is that it's a Moderate but has Queen sized beds.
DisneyLand 6/05
Wilderness Lodge 8/06
Port Orleans Riverside 8/13
*now planning* POR Royal Guest Room 8/14

Is She Ready To Be A Princess? August 2013 Trip Report
BeckyEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane View Post
I'm from the New Orleans area and I always hear people raving about POR. I've never stayed there, I just wanted to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Not that the place seems unappealing, but I'm not one the have a "home away from home" vacation. But I will definitely visiting this resort next year.
IMO there is nothing special about it, other than DIS boards has something called the POR army that invades every thread telling people how great it is.

In all seriousness it is a decent Mod resort. We come from western Canada to WDW in the dead of winter so we prefer more tropical scenery like CSR or CBR. The POR look can be found at any lake here all summer and not what I'm looking for in a winter vacation. CSR has waaaay more amenities to offer for the same money so we stay there.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
V2000
Mouseketeer

Well I think it's great. Last year was my first year staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I am rebooking the same resort this year. This is a moderate resort but for the price I find a great value. It's beautiful with walking paths along the river. Food is at good price for families (compared to other locations). I would recommend staying in one of the mansion buildings.

So I guess it's your opinion. Take a look at this link and decide if it's for you.

http://www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php
V2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We are staying at POFQ (not POR but close), but I haven't been yet. I picked it because it is small and has a boat to DTD. It looks pretty in the pictures but that isn't why I picked it.
I feel kind of the same way about the Wilderness Lodge. My parents are from the Pacific Northwest so we visited grandparents up there every summer. That one wasn't even on my radar just because I didn't want to fly 3000 miles to stay at a place that looks like somewhere we could just drive up to. I'm sure it's great, but I couldn't get over that prejudice. So I can totally understand wanting to be somewhere different than what is ordinary to you.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

I grew up an hour from New Orleans and did not stay at POR for the NO theme. I stayed there specifically for the Royal Rooms. I liked that the location of these rooms was very close to the main building and the bus stops (as opposed to CSR where, even though we stayed in what is now a preferred room, it was a hike to the main building and it took several days to figure out the "maze" you had to go through to get to our room).

The RR have beds with a button to make fireworks go off in the headboard, and I loved waking up during the night to press the button. All of the princess and prince touches in the room were delightful, too.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
saskdw
DIS Veteran

There is no preferred room at CSR that would take me more than 3-4 mins to walk to the food court and most are with in a 2 min walk. There is a video on Buzz's site where someone records walking from the far reaches of the Ranchos section to the main building in 7 mins at a normal walking pace. So to say a preferred room is a long walk to food court is misleading to people trying to decide where to stay.

It's also a well known fact that the Royal rooms at POR are in the least desirable location at POR. Thats why they made those rooms the Royal rooms. Just like the Pirate rooms at CBR are in the worst location. Not looking to argue, I just want people to have truthful information to make a decision best for them.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
hurricane
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2000 View Post
Take a look at this link and decide if it's for you. http://www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php
WOW looks just like Oak Alley
[URL="http://www.oakalleyplantation.com" http://www.oakalleyplantation.com[/URL]
June 2010 - Coronado Springs!
June 2014 - Art of Animation! (Graduation Gift!)
Upcoming: November 2015 - Bay Lake Tower

hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
We are staying at POFQ (not POR but close), but I haven't been yet. I picked it because it is small and has a boat to DTD. It looks pretty in the pictures but that isn't why I picked it.
I feel kind of the same way about the Wilderness Lodge. My parents are from the Pacific Northwest so we visited grandparents up there every summer. That one wasn't even on my radar just because I didn't want to fly 3000 miles to stay at a place that looks like somewhere we could just drive up to. I'm sure it's great, but I couldn't get over that prejudice. So I can totally understand wanting to be somewhere different than what is ordinary to you.
Yep, I feel the same about CSR. Both DH and my families live in AZ, so I don't feel the need to stay in a southwest themed resort.

Hoping for Dec. 2015!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
farrahalex76
Mouseketeer

I'm from south MS and I had a fear that I wouldn't like POR because it would look to much like home but that didn't happen. I loved the resort it will be very hard for me to try anything new from now own. It is so beautiful, loved the pool, River Roost and Boatrights. The food court was good just crazy, it's hard to manage a food court when you have 3 little ones and they all want something different.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
joannamet
Mouseketeer

I don't think the New Orleans theme is the real draw for most people although it is beautiful and quite serene. We love it because its surprisingly quiet and for such a large resort, its not difficult to get around. Worth the extra money over a value resort for sure.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
Kat913
Mouseketeer

It's really just a personal preference. We have stayed at all the moderates & POR is our favorite. I find the grounds beautiful & peaceful & enjoy the DDD boat & the activities there - like carriage rides, the bicycles, the fishing & campfire & bob the piano man.
I also think it has a decent pool.
I don't really care for CSR but to each his own. As far as walking distance to main bldg I find they all have rooms that are a little further (except POFQ which is small & quaint ) but we never mind walking & don't find that to be a bother.
I can definitely understand wanting to stay somewhere where the theming is different than home.
Kat913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Kalea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post

It's also a well known fact that the Royal rooms at POR are in the least desirable location at POR. Thats why they made those rooms the Royal rooms. Just like the Pirate rooms at CBR are in the worst location. Not looking to argue, I just want people to have truthful information to make a decision best for them.
We stayed in a Royal Room last October, and didn't find the location to be undesirable in the least. There was about a 2-minute walk to the main building/food court, the bus stop, the main pool, and the quiet pool; also the movie was right outside our building.

I haven't stayed in any other buildings at POR, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison. There might be MORE desirable rooms. But there wasn't anything bad about these.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane View Post

I'm originally from New Orleans, too.

When people rave about Port Orleans (POR), remember there are 2 sections to the Port Orleans Resort. Port Orleans Riverside (POR) is more like plantation country. Port Orleans French Quarter (PORFQ) is like the French Quarter, as the name says. Both are picturesque moderate resorts, but PORFQ is much smaller. They have gumbo, po ' boys, muffalettas, jambalaya, and beignets in their food court. But, they are no match for the real thing we get in NOLA!

Here is a site that has lots of info: http://www.portorleans.org/

P.S. We are checking into PORFQ this coming weekend!

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
Angieandsteve
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalea View Post
We stayed in a Royal Room last October, and didn't find the location to be undesirable in the least. There was about a 2-minute walk to the main building/food court, the bus stop, the main pool, and the quiet pool; also the movie was right outside our building.

I haven't stayed in any other buildings at POR, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison. There might be MORE desirable rooms. But there wasn't anything bad about these.
I agree completely.
Angieandsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: