Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Angry Deposit at Swan/Dolphin - Full cost of stay?

Has the Swan/Dolphin changed its deposit policy? In the past I paid a one-night deposit for any stay there.

I just tried to book a three-day weekend in February (not a holiday weekend) and both hotels said they were going to charged a deposit that was the full cost of the three-night stay ($1200-$1400!!). I was booking through my SPG account using a AAA rate (NOT the prepaid rate).

Is this a new policy? Any chance this was some sort of computer glitch? Or could this be an issue with booking the AAA discounted rate?
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit116 View Post
Has the Swan/Dolphin changed its deposit policy? In the past I paid a one-night deposit for any stay there.

I just tried to book a three-day weekend in February (not a holiday weekend) and both hotels said they were going to charged a deposit that was the full cost of the three-night stay ($1200-$1400!!). I was booking through my SPG account using a AAA rate (NOT the prepaid rate).

Is this a new policy? Any chance this was some sort of computer glitch? Or could this be an issue with booking the AAA discounted rate?
Are you booking directly through the hotel website? Did you have to use a specific code to get the AAA discount?
I was just poking around the site and I couldn't find anything specific to AAA rates but most of the other rates require one night for the deposit which is what I am accustomed to.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
kermit116

Yes, I was booking from the S/D website, which of course re-routes you to the Sheraton booking engine. Then for rate options I selected "AAA" as one of the rates, and I selected that for my rate since it's the cheapest option. When I put in my credit card info and was about to click "book" I noticed that the "deposit" amount was not the usually one night stay but the full amount of the trip.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing it's the AAA code you are using. I have used discount hotel codes in the past that required paying in advance, in full, vs. paying only a smaller deposit if you didn't use the code. Often, cancellation policies can vary as well when you are getting a discount rate.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
kermit116

I'm not using a code, I'm just clicking on the AAA rate option from the Sheraton booking engine. But, it is worth noting that I just tried to book the regular rate (NOT the prepaid rate) and had the same issue - both hotels want me to pay the full rate as the deposit.

I'll probably just call the hotels in the morning to see if this is the new policy or if there is some other issue. It seems like if this was the new policy, it would be something that would be discussed here on the boards or maybe even on the Podcast.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
jmulvaney
Mouseketeer

I only paid one night's stay for our deposit on our three night stay over Labor Day weekend, but I booked it a while ago over the phone.
jmulvaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer

Not sure what you are looking at, but I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times and never had to pay the full cost up front - just one night deposit. That being said, there are "promotions" with slightly lower rates that you can book but if you do, you have to pay the full cost up front and you can't cancel either without a penalty. They are "preferred rates". I just went on their website to book a room and the "preferred rates" are lower, but they come at a cost - paying your full stay up front, and a much different cancellation policy.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Ozzygirl
Mouseketeer

I made mine over the phone, AARP rate, and only paid 1 night. I would call, they are super helpful. Sounds like a computer glitch.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Seems like the swan/dolphin website is having a few glitches lately. I have found a rate that can only be booked online apparently. When I called the agents couldn't find the rate that I had. I wanted to change an existing reservation. Guess I'll have to cancel the current ressie and book a new one.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
kermit116

I was finally able to book the AAA rate by phone (calling the Dolphin directly). They only required one night's deposit, which is what I had expected. Before I booked by phone, I checked online again and all of the rates for February 2015 were requiring a deposit equal to the cost of the full stay. I mentioned this on the phone with the booking agent and he didn't seem to know why the website was requiring such a large deposit.

Tags
deposits, swan and dolphin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: