Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Ketchican - Bears on our own?

I am seeking advice from my fellow DIS'ers...
The cost of the bear tours is a lot of money for us. The ones with the floatplanes are over $1k for the three of us. the one without the plane would be about half, but is sold out for the date we'll be there. Two questions 1) Can you do the bear tours on your own? I see on the Ketchican map there is a salmon spawning area that seems to be close by. Question 2) If we do break down and pay for the expensive one, Would anyone recommend the Neets Bear tour over the Alaska Bear Adventure or vice versa? THX!!!!
Munkamamacallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkamamacallie View Post
I am seeking advice from my fellow DIS'ers...
The cost of the bear tours is a lot of money for us. The ones with the floatplanes are over $1k for the three of us. the one without the plane would be about half, but is sold out for the date we'll be there. Two questions 1) Can you do the bear tours on your own? I see on the Ketchican map there is a salmon spawning area that seems to be close by. Question 2) If we do break down and pay for the expensive one, Would anyone recommend the Neets Bear tour over the Alaska Bear Adventure or vice versa? THX!!!!
I'm going to refer you to my trip report from 2013 for our bear adventure:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3150787

We got to see lots of things on this tour-bears, reindeer, owls, eagles, totem carving-for a very reasonable price. Also, you can see bears at Mendenhall Glacier near the parking lot area when the salmon are spawning. It just costs the price of the round trip on the blue bus. You can catch it by purchasing tickets at the kiosks near the dock area. Seeing a bear was on my bucket list, so I was beyond thrilled when we saw ours last year!

EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
I'm going to refer you to my trip report from 2013 for our bear adventure:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3150787

We got to see lots of things on this tour-bears, reindeer, owls, eagles, totem carving-for a very reasonable price. Also, you can see bears at Mendenhall Glacier near the parking lot area when the salmon are spawning. It just costs the price of the round trip on the blue bus. You can catch it by purchasing tickets at the kiosks near the dock area. Seeing a bear was on my bucket list, so I was beyond thrilled when we saw ours last year!

Thank you! Did you ever post your pics? Great trip report!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Agree on the free bears in Juneau. You will see from the raised wooden platform at the glacier parking lot, but there is a secret, even better place to see bears. Leave the parking lot and cross the street to a sign that mentions a nature trail. This is NOT near the visitor center, near the parking lot. Follow the trail about a half mile to the bridge over the river. Sit on the bridge and wait. I always see one or two bears amble down and fish for salmon. They never seem interested in me! FREE!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
pillow
DIS Veteran

When is your cruise? Are you spending any time pre or post cruise in or around Vancouver? I've researched the heck out of bear viewing. You're right - its darned expensive!! Take a look at this - depends on your plans and when you are going . . .

http://www.tiderip.com/

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
Agree on the free bears in Juneau. You will see from the raised wooden platform at the glacier parking lot, but there is a secret, even better place to see bears. Leave the parking lot and cross the street to a sign that mentions a nature trail. This is NOT near the visitor center, near the parking lot. Follow the trail about a half mile to the bridge over the river. Sit on the bridge and wait. I always see one or two bears amble down and fish for salmon. They never seem interested in me! FREE!
Great tip - thanks!!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
Great! Thanks so much!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
When is your cruise? Are you spending any time pre or post cruise in or around Vancouver? I've researched the heck out of bear viewing. You're right - its darned expensive!! Take a look at this - depends on your plans and when you are going . . .

http://www.tiderip.com/

Jodie
Yup, $299x3 people + tax = yikes! I think we'll try the free one in Juneau!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

We booked our Ketchikan bear viewing trip by float plane because it worked out cheaper than the ones through DCL and was for a longer time. We also chose a float plane trip because we thought if we don't get to see any bears at least we've experienced a float plane. Well, we spent over three hours waiting for bears that never came - this wasn't anyone's fault, just the way it was, there was a heatwave on at the time and the bears weren't coming out as it was too hot. Just as we were leaving to go back to the plane, our guide alerted us to stand still and be quiet and coming down the stream were a mother and baby. When we got back to the plane the pilot was so apologetic that we had only seen these two but that's just the way it goes, in fact we were over the moon that we had seen them.

We don't think we wasted our money because we really enjoyed the float plane ride - our pilot was fabulous and pointed lots out to us and we consider ourselves very lucky to have seen the two bears we did but it's an awful lot of money especially when you consider we may not have seen any at all.

If money's a bit tight, I'd stick with Mendenhall - that's what DH and I are planning on doing when we go back next year so thank you very much ILUVALASKA for the tip.

ETA: Just a thought, if you luck out at Mendenhall there's a tourist centre in Ketchikan where the tour operators have kiosks and some still had bear viewing places available in the afternoon the day we were there.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris

Last edited by Ware Bears; 05-31-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
We booked our Ketchikan bear viewing trip by float plane because it worked out cheaper than the ones through DCL and was for a longer time. We also chose a float plane trip because we thought if we don't get to see any bears at least we've experienced a float plane. Well, we spent over three hours waiting for bears that never came - this wasn't anyone's fault, just the way it was, there was a heatwave on at the time and the bears weren't coming out as it was too hot. Just as we were leaving to go back to the plane, our guide alerted us to stand still and be quiet and coming down the stream were a mother and baby. When we got back to the plane the pilot was so apologetic that we had only seen these two but that's just the way it goes, in fact we were over the moon that we had seen them.

We don't think we wasted our money because we really enjoyed the float plane ride - our pilot was fabulous and pointed lots out to us and we consider ourselves very lucky to have seen the two bears we did but it's an awful lot of money especially when you consider we may not have seen any at all.

If money's a bit tight, I'd stick with Mendenhall - that's what DH and I are planning on doing when we go back next year so thank you very much ILUVALASKA for the tip.

ETA: Just a thought, if you luck out at Mendenhall there's a tourist centre in Ketchikan where the tour operators have kiosks and some still had bear viewing places available in the afternoon the day we were there.
Which trip did you do and what time of year? We are planning to do Anan Creek - hope it wasn't that one. I would be horribly disappointed to pay all that money and not see bears!!

Jodie
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

No, it wasn't Anan Creek, that would have been my first choice but the pilot we went with doesn't go there in August, she only goes there in July, she took us to Margaret Creek as under normal conditions there's more bears there then. Alaska was experiencing a heatwave last summer and it was an extremely hot day.

To be honest we weren't surprised - we were chatting with our tour guide on our White Pass rail trip out of Skagway and he was saying that he's normally seen at least 60 bears by now (this is end of first week of August) on his Skagway tours and he'd only seen half a dozen because it was too hot.

As I said in my previous post our pilot felt bad and went out of her way to give us a spectacular plane ride to make up for it - we didn't feel cheated as it's not like she's got any control over where the bears are!

Hopefully you'll see lots but just be prepared for the fact that you may not.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
AndyR
DIS Veteran

A few of us are doing a private floatplane trip to Anan Creek in July. However, if you're not locked and loaded with a company, your chances of getting on certain trips are limited as the Forest Service only allocates so many permits.

Andy
2008 Mar DL Repo Mini Meet, Aug Captain Jack's Panama EB Repo
2009 Feb Contemporary (DSIL gets's married @ Grand Floridian), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Mar - Disneyland, Jul - Boardwalk
2010 Mar AKL - Sept Grand Californian, Nov Grand Californian
2011 Jan Boardwalk & Dream Maiden Voyage, DL March, Apr GCH, June, GCH, Aug - Bay Lake Tower, Oct Wonder 7nt MR
2012 June - Panama Pirate Reunion on Fantasy - There's the Jack I know....
2013 April - Tokyo Disney, August - Aulani, Sept - Disneyland, Oct - Disneyland MHP, Dec - Grand Cali.
2014 Mar - GCH, July DCL Alaska, Aug - GCH, Sept - PPH, Oct DCL Magic B2B Southern & Repo, Nov - Bay Lake

AndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
A few of us are doing a private floatplane trip to Anan Creek in July. However, if you're not locked and loaded with a company, your chances of getting on certain trips are limited as the Forest Service only allocates so many permits.

Andy
We're not going until July 2015, so I'm planning early. The lottery is in October I believe. The company I've spoken with will try to get our permits then. I would DIE if I got to Anan Creek and there were no bears . . . not a cheap trip!

Jodie
Old 06-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
AndyR
DIS Veteran

We're using Southeast Aviation http://southeastaviation.com/section...arviewing.html

Approx $500pp

Andy
2008 Mar DL Repo Mini Meet, Aug Captain Jack's Panama EB Repo
2009 Feb Contemporary (DSIL gets's married @ Grand Floridian), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Mar - Disneyland, Jul - Boardwalk
2010 Mar AKL - Sept Grand Californian, Nov Grand Californian
2011 Jan Boardwalk & Dream Maiden Voyage, DL March, Apr GCH, June, GCH, Aug - Bay Lake Tower, Oct Wonder 7nt MR
2012 June - Panama Pirate Reunion on Fantasy - There's the Jack I know....
2013 April - Tokyo Disney, August - Aulani, Sept - Disneyland, Oct - Disneyland MHP, Dec - Grand Cali.
2014 Mar - GCH, July DCL Alaska, Aug - GCH, Sept - PPH, Oct DCL Magic B2B Southern & Repo, Nov - Bay Lake

AndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your input everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: