Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
Waiting for pics!
Don't worry, they're coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Renshaw View Post
We were on the same voyage. We had a blast too. Couldn't have had better weather.
I know, right? It was absolutely gorgeous. Didn't mind the bit of rain in Juneau at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalstongue View Post
Love the report so far. So cool that you managed to get a limo and a bargain too!
Thanks! It was very cool. I think our other option would have been the suburban or something. DD was very excited. It was nice showing up in style.

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 06-05-2014 at 10:58 PM.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
LisaRN97
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to see what happens next! We are booked for August and staying at the Pan as well!!

BLT: 09/2009; 08/2010; 10/2012; 11/2013; 03/2015
DCL: 3-day Wonder 09/2009; 4-day Wonder 02/2014; 7-day Alaska 06/2014; 7-day Fantasy 10/2015
AK Kidani: 08/2011
LisaRN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
disneyfaninaz

More of Vancouver

Before we board the Wonder, here are a few more shots of Vancouver.

These peaks are called the Lions. Stanley Park is in the foreground.

This is at the end of Canada Place looking back towards the city. You can see the Vancouver Lookout Tower where you can get a panoramic view of the city. There is also a revolving restaurant up there.

Here is a view of the float plane harbor. Planes were constantly taking off and landing.

This is a view of the other convention center, where the Olympics were broadcast from in 2010.

At night you could see a huge globe lit up. This is what it looked during the day. It was the world!

The Pan Pacific sitting on top of Canada Place.

Here is the sign for 'Fly Over Canada" along the Canada Trail next to Canada Place. We opted not to see this attraction. While we love Soarin' over California, we couldn't justify the price to soar over Canada.

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 07-08-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
lorimay
DIS Veteran

I am loving your trip report, bringing back so many wonderful memories from our time in Vancouver last Sept. before our cruise.
Love all your pics!
Can't wait to read about your experiences in Alaska.

The Pan Pacific is a great hotel.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
disneyfaninaz

Hello Wonder

Day 1 - Embarkation
Saturday, May 24, 2014

Well, the day had finally arrived. We woke up to cloudy skies, but no rain. I was up at 6:15 AM to go down to the observation level of the hotel off the lobby and watch the Wonder come in. However, I was too late. She was already docked. Hygienist999 had a water front room and got a great picture of her coming in to the harbor.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1795

Several months ago, we were informed by various methods, including other DIS members, that DCL would not be docking at Canada Place when they arrived in Vancouver on the 24th. Instead, they would be berthing at the old terminal at Ballantyne. Needless to say, we were all a bit bummed about this as we were looking forward to just going down some elevators and getting on the ship. We later found out that this was deliberate on DCL’s part as they didn’t want their passengers to be crowded with 5000 other passengers boarding the 2 other ships berthed at Canada Place on Saturday. Looking back, that was pretty considerate of them.

I took some photos of the Wonder.

While I was up there, one of the other ships was coming into Canada Place.

Then I went back up to the room and went back to bed for a little bit. After we were up and ready, we headed across the street to Tim Horton’s for breakfast. They have free wifi, so I was able to check the DISBoards and send an email.

There was conflicting information about whether DCL would provide free shuttle service from Canada Place to those not parking there, so we just decided to find our own transportation for the 11 of us and a wheelchair. I found Star Limousine Service. For about $12 per person, they would provide a Mercedes Sprinter which held 11 passengers and all of our luggage, plus 1 wheelchair and pick us up right in front of the Pan Pacific. It was an opportunity cost I could not pass up. We had an 11:00 PAT, so we had Phil, the bell hop, collect all of our luggage from our rooms at about 10:30 AM. Our driver would pick us up at 10:45. Don, our driver, showed up on time and Don and Phil loaded up all of our luggage (with plenty of room to spare) and we were off to Ballantyne. It wasn’t really that far away, but we saw the Gaslight District on the way.

Don pulled up right in front of the doors to the terminal where a porter was waiting to take our luggage. It was such a pleasant experience and a great way to start our cruise.

Once inside the terminal, we were whisked away to security (due to the wheelchair) and breezed through. We then waited about 20 minutes in line for Castaway Club members to check in. The line for first time cruises was actually shorter. We filled out our sickness form, got our KTTW cards w/ Silver Castaway Club lanyards, our first navigator and boarding number 8. We were then sent upstairs to wait. I really don’t think the PATs mean anything in Vancouver. Nobody ever asked our PAT time and anybody that showed up was immediately ushered inside.

While we were waiting, I distributed some buttons I had made for our group to wear them around the ship.

I was checking in on the DIS Cruise Meet thread for this cruise pretty regularly. Okay, daily. 3 of us from Arizona decided it would be fun to meet before the cruise. Moondaughter23 lives in Tucson (1and a half hours south of me), Arizona Rita lives in Peoria (1 hour west of me) and I am in Chandler. We decided to meet in the middle, as it were, at Mimi’s Café the Sunday before we left for Vancouver. We then decided to bring our daughters. Moondaughter23’s daughter, Mojo, just finished her first year of high school. Arizona Rita’s daughter Lauren just finished her junior year in High School and my daughter is going into high school next fall. While the 3 of us were having a delightful time getting to know one another, so were the girls. We heard laughing and giggling from the other end of the table. They had become fast friends. That being said, not soon after we found some seats to wait for our boarding number to be called, we saw Moondaughter23 and Mojo so they came over to wait with us. It wasn’t too long after that, we spotted Arizona Rita’s family and the girls were reunited for a short time.

When our boarding number was called we waited in a short line for immigration to check our passports and then we were sent to the gang way. We got our embarkation photos taken, but we were limited to 6 people per photo. Then we went down the gang plank to board. By the time we arrived, went through security, got checked in, went by immigration and boarded it was about 1:00 PM.

We heard our names announced, and guess who walked on right behind us? You got it, the mouse himself!

We then headed straight for Parrot Cay for lunch. DNC and I went to Wavebands to get our Palo brunch reservations dealt with. She is gold and I am silver, so we couldn’t get the same day for our brunch on-line. Andrae, the Palo manager, fixed it easily enough so that we were set for brunch for 8 of us on the second sea day at 10:00 AM in Palo’s private room. DNC arranged her dinner for Tracy Arm night and we were off to lunch. While we ate our lunch, our DH’s went to Guest Services and registered for their wine and tequila tastings.

By the time we finished lunch, our staterooms were ready. We went directly upstairs to Deck 7 to our stateroom for 9 nights, 7618. It was the first cruise where we had a full balcony and not an obstructed one. It was great for this cruise.

I can’t remember exactly what we did, but DD left to explore the ship, I decorated the door and delivered magnets to the rest of our group, while DH relaxed.

At some point I ran into our room steward, Jun, and asked for ice to be provided every evening to our room. We waited for the luggage to arrive. At 3:00 PM I went up to the Promenade Lounge for the DISmeet. There were a lot of people there, Moondaughter23 was doing a yeoman’s task getting all the FE information out to those participating and I really didn’t meet anybody but Moondaughter23, Arizona Rita and RweTHEREyet. The Facebook group was a lot more active and since I am not on Facebook, felt a little left out. It made me very appreciative that Moondaughter, Arizona Rita and I met before so I would know some familiar faces around the ship. So, I left the DISmeet and went back to the stateroom to unpack. At 4:00 PM we went to our muster drill station in Animator’s Palate. Can I just say how cool the touch pads are for the KTTW cards? I loved not having to take my card out of it’s pouch every time I needed it.

Anyway, after the muster drill we headed up to Deck 10 to watch the sail away party. Our Captain was Capt. Fabian and our Cruise Director was Jimmy. They were both great! Is it just me or was the party a lot shorter than before?

During the party DH bought the sail away drink and Mojo and Lauren grabbed DD to watch the sail away party with them. I think she enjoyed it more that way. Anyway, we heard our beloved horn and then moved towards the back of the ship to watch us leave port. It was around 5:20 before we actually started pulling away from the dock.

We had main seating, so I stayed up on deck as long as I could before I had to get dressed for dinner, so unfortunately missed going out under the bridge. As it was, I was the last to arrive to dinner.

Our dining rotation was TAP, so we started our dining experience at Triton’s with the Let the Magic Begin menu. Our table number was 23 and at the end of each main center aisle of each restaurant. It is referred to as the Captain’s Table. Our head server was Kerry-Sean, our server was Shane from Jamaica and our Asst. Server was Steven from Hungary. Shane was very quiet but got the job done. Dinner was good. After dinner we went back to the stateroom to change. I then headed to Guest Services with my Disney Visa Rewards cards in hand to apply to our onboard account and my ALASKA photo matte to have signed. Then, DD and I went shopping, looking for the Alaska stuff. OMG! It was like a fire sale. The CMs couldn’t restock fast enough. It was pandemonium. I said “forget this” and left. Later, DNC, DNJ, DNDDM, DD and I went to watch the All Aboard show at the Walt Disney Theater. After the show, DD went to hang out with her new friends and DH and I went to the Outlook Café. It came to be a tradition every night for the adults (not otherwise occupied with kiddos) to congregate at the Café after dinner for hot chocolate, amaretto, espressos, or wine before turning in for the night. Jerome got to know us very well and was a great barista.

Our towel animal for tonight.

Next: Our first day at sea

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 06-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #21
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Love your report so far! (GREAT photos!) Subbing and looking forward to the rest of your report. Our Alaska trip isn't until 2015, but I am so excited for it to get here. Reports like yours help me pass the time.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #22
mwmom
5th Time Disney Visitor

We leave in 2 weeks. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR! Thanks for giving details like times (like muster drill time) and restaurant recommendations in Vancouver. It helps in my planning!

mwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRN97 View Post
Can't wait to see what happens next! We are booked for August and staying at the Pan as well!!
You will love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
I am loving your trip report, bringing back so many wonderful memories from our time in Vancouver last Sept. before our cruise.
Love all your pics!
Can't wait to read about your experiences in Alaska.

The Pan Pacific is a great hotel.
Thanks! Yes, the Pan was a great hotel! Stay tuned for more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Love your report so far! (GREAT photos!) Subbing and looking forward to the rest of your report. Our Alaska trip isn't until 2015, but I am so excited for it to get here. Reports like yours help me pass the time.
I did the same thing before this cruise. Previous trip reports helped a lot. That is one of the reasons I am writing this one, other than the fact that I enjoy writing them (Can't you tell by the number I've written?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmom View Post
We leave in 2 weeks. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR! Thanks for giving details like times (like muster drill time) and restaurant recommendations in Vancouver. It helps in my planning!
You're welcome! Hopefully I can finish my report by the time you leave.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
disneyfaninaz

Our first day at sea!

Day 2 – Sea Day
Sunday, May 25, 2014
Sunrise: 5:27 AM Sunset: 9:24 PM Temp: high 50’s

As became my habit every morning, the first thing I did after getting out of bed was grab my camera and go out on the verandah. We woke up this morning to low hanging clouds which made for some dramatic photos, but there was no rain.

We went up to Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast and ran into our neighbors. I just love DCL’s sausage for breakfast. Yum!

I booked a DCL cruise to Norway for next summer and was looking forward to reshopping it for a discount onboard. I took my Nook and went up to Deck 4 and waited until 9:00 AM for the Onboard Sales guy to show up. DD went with DNeighbors to meet Sofia the First with DNDDM then went to watch Jack Jack’s Diaper Dash in the atrium. DD always gets a kick out of this event.

Once Tai was ready to go, he was able to reshop my category and saved me several hundred dollars, plus I got $200 OBC. He made me a new reservation with a different stateroom and I had to pay a new 10% deposit. I will have to cancel my old reservation and move my room over.

Anyway, when that was done, I headed to the Walt Disney Theater to hear the naturalist, Doug Jones, talk about Alaska. He was very informative and easy to listen to. Unfortunately, that was the only live talk I was able to make for the entire cruise. Fortunately, they ran his talks in a loop on one of the channels in the staterooms so we were able to catch the ones we missed. We ran into him several times during the cruise, and he was always willing to talk or answer questions. He even gave everyone his stateroom number to call or text him on the wave phones.

After the talk, I went back to the stateroom and ran into Jun again, DD needed another blanket on her bed, I wanted blankets for the verandah and I didn’t get the sharps container that I had requested. Jun made it all happen. The only complaint I had about Jun was that it seemed that our room was always the last one to be done. Sometimes it wasn’t even made up until late afternoon or turned down until after 10:00 PM.

The guys, DNDDC, DSisterJ, DCousinC and LE had wine tasting at 12:00 PM. DNC had DNDDM in line for the Princess Gathering, which wrapped all the way down the hall alongside Tritons to the Promenade Lounge. I ran into DNC on the way to Cruisin’ for Trivia in the Promenade Lounge. We planned to get lunch after trivia was over.

For trivia, I teamed up with a father and daughter from South Dakota and another lady, I’m sorry I can’t remember her name. Anyway, we did well, but didn’t win. I went to the atrium to catch up with DNC and found my DD in line with her friends to meet the princesses (Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Rapunzel and Tiana), so I joined them to take their pictures. By the time DNC was done visiting the pricesses, the others had finished their tasting, so we all headed up to Beach Blanket for some lunch.

At 2:00 I headed back to the Promenade Lounge for Disney Trivia. I played with Arizona Rita, her husband and son. Again, we did well, but didn’t win. (Are you seeing a trend?)

We had heard there were already whale sightings throughout the day, but I hadn’t seen any yet. If I remember correctly, I met up with DH and went through Shutters, but our photos hadn’t been put into our binders yet. I really liked the way that Shutter’s has been redone. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures of it. You now swipe your KTTW card at a kiosk and it will tell you which Character (representing a book shelf), which color (there are 4 for each character) and which binder number on the shelf. For instance, we were Pluto Brown 1. No more looking through rows and rows of everyone else’s photo to find yours. Once you have swept your KTTW card while having a photo taken, all your photos would be put in your specific binder. If a photo was not printed, there are kiosks to order them or work on a photobook.
We went out on deck 4 and took some pictures.

Tonight was formal night. We were in Animator’s Palate with the Golden Mickeys menu.

We were a little late getting ready tonight as DD was having too much fun with her friends. But we got it together and got a formal picture taken of the 3 of us before dinner. Before we left home I had contacted Guest Services and ordered a cake to celebrate DD’s and DNDDC’s graduations. After a delicious dinner, Shane and Kerry-Sean and some of the other servers made a big deal about bringing the cake out and then sang, “Congratulations to You.” Every night we would hear at least 3 rousing renditions of “Happy Birthday” throughout the restaurant.

The girls were very surprised and the cake was delicious. It was a 10 inch vanilla cake with fruit mousse filling and whipped cream icing. There was a white chocolate banner on it wishing them Congratulations.

We weren’t interested in seeing Golden Mickeys so we went back up to our room and changed. DD went to hang out with her friends. DH and I went up to the Outlook Café. I happened to look over my shoulder and noticed this stunning sunset.

Since we were entering Alaskan waters tomorrow, we were told to move our clocks back an hour when we went to bed. I tried, but could not figure out how to change the clock in our room, even with the directions. Good thing I had my travel alarm clock with me.

Our towel animal for the night:

Next: Will I ever see a whale?

After thought: At some point on this day, I went to Mickey's Mates and bought an Alaska trading pin. I had been looking on the pin racks and various pin trading events, but I never saw one. I ended up asking a CM and was told that they were holding the behind the counter because they had a limited amount. They were limiting purchases to 2 per stateroom per day.

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 06-08-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
FinVicMom
Earning My Ears

Wow - enjoying your report. We are on the June 16th sailing!
FinVicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
DisneyHeather
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your trip report. It's helping me to pass the time until my Alaska cruise September 1st. I'm staying at the Pan Pacific too

DisneyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #27
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
After the talk, I went back to the stateroom and ran into Jun again, DD needed another blanket on her bed, I wanted blankets for the verandah and I didn’t get the sharps container that I had requested. Jun made it all happen. The only complaint I had about Jun was that it seemed that our room was always the last one to be done. Sometimes it wasn’t even made up until late afternoon or turned down until after 10:00 PM.
This was kind of amusing. We had Jun Dec. 2012 for the EBPC. He did a fine job and was very nice but we literally made the same comments. He had just moved from working in the engine room or something to being a room steward; we hoped he would speed up as he gained experience. Maybe not.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #28
TheChanClan
Earning My Ears

Enjoying your trip report so far We are booked on the Sept 1st cruise, and like others have said, it's great to read these reports to pass the time until its our turn!

Eagerly awaiting more. . .
HKDL - Mar14
DCL - Dream to Caribbean Feb12, Wonder to Alaska Sep14
TheChanClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #29
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Thanks so much for writing this!! We are also staying at the Pan Pacific pre cruise, so very nice to see you enjoyed it- . We are only staying 1 night, a decision I am regretting right now, and I have our activities narrowed down to your choices already too- the bridge and trees, Grouse Mtn, and then Stanley Park- but all along have been leaning towards exploring Stanley Park by bike. I LOVE that you wrote there are VERY separate lanes for people and bikes. We have had a few issues in the past on bike rides with one of my kids and people walking where they shouldn't- so I am hoping the separate lanes will help him feel more comfortable about it. I have my fingers crossed!

About how long does it take to walk over to the Olympic torch?

Thanks so much for sharing your cruise!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #30
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinVicMom View Post
Wow - enjoying your report. We are on the June 16th sailing!
Thanks! You'll have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHeather View Post
Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your trip report. It's helping me to pass the time until my Alaska cruise September 1st. I'm staying at the Pan Pacific too
Thanks! You'll really like the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilland18 View Post
This was kind of amusing. We had Jun Dec. 2012 for the EBPC. He did a fine job and was very nice but we literally made the same comments. He had just moved from working in the engine room or something to being a room steward; we hoped he would speed up as he gained experience. Maybe not.
I guess not. I will say, he may be slow, but he knows how to make towel animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChanClan View Post
Enjoying your trip report so far We are booked on the Sept 1st cruise, and like others have said, it's great to read these reports to pass the time until its our turn!

Eagerly awaiting more. . .
Thanks! Stay tuned, I'm going through pictures as fast as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Thanks so much for writing this!! We are also staying at the Pan Pacific pre cruise, so very nice to see you enjoyed it- . We are only staying 1 night, a decision I am regretting right now, and I have our activities narrowed down to your choices already too- the bridge and trees, Grouse Mtn, and then Stanley Park- but all along have been leaning towards exploring Stanley Park by bike. I LOVE that you wrote there are VERY separate lanes for people and bikes. We have had a few issues in the past on bike rides with one of my kids and people walking where they shouldn't- so I am hoping the separate lanes will help him feel more comfortable about it. I have my fingers crossed!

About how long does it take to walk over to the Olympic torch?

Thanks so much for sharing your cruise!
Thanks! Stanley Park is very easy to get to and very bike friendly. There is a bike rental place on the water side of the old Olympic broadcast center. It's only about a 5 minute walk to the Olympic cauldron.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: