Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #46
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

After dinner, the Beatles did another show on the top deck. Once again, they did a great job. I amazes me what kind of talent that Disney has on the cruises, and these guys had a lot of talent....

Beautiful conditions once again.....

That evening in the WD Theater, was Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On

The show was okay. Not one of the better DCL shows....

Next up is Funchal, Madeira
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #47
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

The next morning we had breakfast outside at Cabana's, overlooking Funchal...

We took a taxi from the ship to the cable car. It was $10 for a taxi. Some people were walking, but if you were going to the cable car, it was going to be a loooooong walk....
We got on the cable car, and I snapped this picture as the car left the station (looking back where we boarded)....

This one was looking forward as soon as we boarded....

Almost at the top...

This is the station at the top....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #48
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Once we got off the cable car, we took a left and walked toward the toboggan ride. Notice the sign, in the bottom, right corner (Tobogan)

Once you go left, you immediately walk by the botanical gardens. They looked really neat, but we just didn't have time to stop....

Once we got to the toboggan ride, we took a right, walked up the street a few yards, and took a left up the steps that led to the church at Monte. I walked up the steps to the church, and took this picture....

We walked in the church, and when we exited the church, we took a left and walked up some narrow steps that led to the top of the church. We were tired when we got to the top, but as you can see, the view was worth it. (check out the Disney Magic in the distance)

When we got back down to the street, some of the guys that operated the toboggan ride, were playing cards....

Me and my wife got on a toboggan. It was $30 for both of us. (plus a tip at the end of the ride)...

At one point, a car passed us. This was so much fun. We loved it....

There was only one time when we slowed down, and the guys pulled us. They pulled us for about 20 or 30 yards, and we took off again....

I took a picture of my ticket for the cable car....

At the end of the toboggan ride, a guy approached us and tried to sell us a picture that was taken of us during the toboggan ride. He said it would be 15 euro. We said "no thanks". He then said "10 euro". Again, we said "no thanks". Finally he said "5 euro", but we still didn't want it. When we got back to the cruise ship, we spoke with another couple who did the toboggan ride, and they said no to the 15 euro picture, and they said the guy just turned around and walked away. So not everyone was offered a lower price for their picture. The toboggan ride ends near the intersection of Livramento. We took a right, and there were some cabs waiting. A guy approached me and asked where we were going, and I said "the Market". He said that would be 20 euro. I said no, and another guy said he would take us for 15 euro. Again I said no, and then another guy approached us and said he would do it for 10 euro. So we loaded up in the cab and headed to the Market (Mercado)......
Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #49
mylael
Earning My Ears

Neat photos! I'm planning to take the WBTA in 2015 and Funchal is one of the ports.

mylael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #50
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylael View Post
Neat photos! I'm planning to take the WBTA in 2015 and Funchal is one of the ports.
We booked the WBTA 2015 cruise, while we were on this cruise....jonathan

Once we were dropped off at the Mercado, we walked toward the far end, and that is where the fish market is located....the smells are wonderful

On the left, you can see people that are on the main level, and viewing the fish area....

After we left the fish area, we walked up the steps to the second level.

There were fruits I had never saw before....

On the second level, there were many vendors offering free samples. The samples were great, but there was a lot of pressure afterwards to buy....

Another view from the second level....

We walked out the back, by the fish market, and then took a right and walked along the side of the market. We walked by a bakery, and I took a picture of it....

Once we got back to the street, where the Mercado is located, I took this picture looking back toward the waterfront. The Mercado was directly behind me, and you can see the Disney Magic in the distance....

Picture of the front of the Mercado....
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #51
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

After we left the market, we walked directly across the road....

The ladies went in a department type store, and I sat outside, and enjoyed the beautiful day. Right beside where I was sitting, there were a couple of people selling some fruit....

We walked past the Cathedral, and I turned around and took this picture....

We (I mean the ladies) walked in several shops along the way. There was a big variety of shops along this street. My daughter wanted to go to Blandy's Wine Lodge. She checked on a tour, while I relaxed in the courtyard area. It was shaded, and cool, and they had a clean bathroom. It ended up being a great break....

We walked out the side entrance....

And directly into the Municipal Gardens....

The gardens were a nice, quiet place to visit in the middle of town....

We walked out the front of the gardens (toward the waterfront) and took a right. We then took another right, and walked around the outer perimeter of the gardens. We walked down another street, that had a lot of shops, and restaurants

Funchal was a beautiful place. Very interesting place to explore....
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #52
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

We walked back to the ship, and on our way back, they had these for transportation (tuk-tuks). At this point, I had spent enough on cabs, so we just walked. Not sure how much they were, but they would also take you on a city tour in a tuk-tuk...

As we walked back to the ship, I took this picture....

Another view....

Almost back at the ship. You can see the taxi cabs ahead....

This boat looked cool, so I took a picture of it....
Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #53
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Once we got back on the ship, we went to Cabana's for lunch....

After lunch, we got our bathing suits on, and went to the pool. I took this picture looking toward Funchal....

Looking down the pier....

More views of Funchal from the ship....

Look in the center of this photo, and move slightly left, and you will see the church at Monte that we visited. It has a tower on each side....

While relaxing on deck 10, I took this picture (near the adult pool)....

On our way back to the ship, we passed this building....

At this place was a gift shop, but more importantly, they had free WiFi. My daughter and Niece used it to contact (facetime) family back home. The gift shop is located in the center, on the bottom level....
Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #54
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

At dinner that night, we were at Lumiere's for the regular menu....

We started off with some Deep Fried Brie...it was good!

I'm not to crazy about the onion soup....

The Leek and Potato soup was good....

Roasted chicken off the Lighter Notes menu....

Filet Steak....

I ordered the Chicken dish off the Carioca's menu (I loved it!)

During our dinner, our ship was leaving Funchal. So after I ordered dessert, I went to the top deck, to take in the view....

Dessert menu....

Peanut Butter Mousse

Love the Grand Marnier Souffle....

Can't go wrong with the Crème Brulee...

At the end of dinner, Belle and the Beast came out and danced....

Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #55
Princess Clayre
Mouseketeer

I've been following along with your trip report for a week or so now and loving all the updates. Thanks so much.....looking forward to the rest.

Is it usual for Beauty and the Beast to appear at Lumiere's? I don't think i've notice that in a report before
Nov 05 offsite (Jack's first trip) * May '07 POP * May '08 POP/WL * Aug '10 SSR * May '12 SSR, May '13 SSR

Next trip: Our First Disney Cruise - Disney Magic Med Cruise Aug '14
Then Easter 2015 - WDW Yatch Club
Princess Clayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #56
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Clayre View Post
I've been following along with your trip report for a week or so now and loving all the updates. Thanks so much.....looking forward to the rest.

Is it usual for Beauty and the Beast to appear at Lumiere's? I don't think i've notice that in a report before
They took away our Character Breakfast, and we were told there were going to be more "Character Experiences" on this cruise. So I have a feeling that this was one of the "replacements"......jonathan
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #57
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

After dinner, I went back up to the top deck to take in the view. We went by a couple of islands off of Madeira. (Desertas).....

Leaving Funchal.....

In the WD Theater, Lost Locos Ole did a show. They played their guitars and did some comedy. It was an odd show. My wife and daughter left the show. I thought about it, but I stayed, hoping it would get better. At the end, there were some people that stood up and clapped for these guys. Not my kind of show though. Later at Fathoms, Max Winfrey did an adult show and it was good....

The juggling is neat, but when he gets the crowd involved, the show gets better....

He got a guy on stage, and told him to stand against the board, and he would throw knives at him. He then told the guy that may be to dangerous, so he made an outline of the guy. He then drew a picture of a parrot on the guys shoulder, and said "you can be a pirate". He then threw some real knives and hit the guy (drawing) in some "personal" areas....

Midtown was performing in the Promenade Lounge. This lady was definitely "high energy". She always looked like she was having a good time...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #58
offtoseemickey
Mouseketeer

Loving the updates! Funchal looks beautiful. I bet the toboggan ride is pretty thrilling :D
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #59
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Day at Sea (getting close to the Straits of Gibraltar)

Tonight was a little different. Everyone got the same appetizer....

Here it is....(well, at least some of it!!)

Here's the mac & cheese soup....(same for everyone)

Regular menu....

Parmesan Chicken....

Pork Tenderloin was delicious....

Sweet Temptations...

Cheesecake.....

Double Chocolate cake....(mmmmm-gooooood!)
Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #60
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Before the meal, everyone got a special piece of paper, and you were supposed to draw a person on it, and it would be animated at the end of the meal.....

The figures we drew danced across the screens....

You signed your name to your picture, and your name appeared on the screen also....

Me and my wife got up at 2:30am, because we were going thru the Straits of Gibraltar. We could see the Rock of Gibraltar, because the lights of the town were behind it, so we could see the outline. This picture was taken looking South toward Morocco. We could see the lights along the coastline....

For some reason, the doors to Palo were open, so I took a picture....

As we went thru the Straits of Gibraltar, the ship was barely moving, and there were a handful of people out on the top deck, and it was very peaceful and relaxing up on deck. I would have loved to go thru during the day, but it was still a cool experience....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: