Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #61
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Yes, you show your passport for immigration when you get on the ship, then again when you get off, then again at the airport.

My dad happened to get some pretty rude customs & immigration people the year DCL first did Alaska RT Vancouver (they also flew in and out of Vancouver) and it left a bad taste in this mouth about cruising out of Vancouver. We disembarked Ballantyne Pier this year and the pier workers were much nicer (as was the customs officer) but it was rather disorganized, so I would be prepared to have it go less smoothly than Port Canaveral if you're used to cruising out of PC.

We drove from Vancouver to Seattle after our May repo and they checked our passports when crossing back into the US, so I'm sure Quikshuttle will be the same.
Thanks so much!! What do you have to declare (purchase-wise) at each place? Since we will be buying items in Vancouver before we cruise, then items on the ship, then items in Alaska, etc. We have only sailed out of PC and Los Angeles so we usually only have to declare purchases when we get off the ship.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #62
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
Thanks so much!! What do you have to declare (purchase-wise) at each place? Since we will be buying items in Vancouver before we cruise, then items on the ship, then items in Alaska, etc. We have only sailed out of PC and Los Angeles so we usually only have to declare purchases when we get off the ship.
All of our items were purchased in Alaska, so nothing for us to declare at US Customs. We were never asked about amounts purchased anyway, just if we had vegetable/animal products on us.
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #63
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
Mladen has taken care of me on previous cruises and yes, he's a sweetie! This cruise, Toni from Croatia served us in Palo - and he's another keeper. For the other side of the coin, we disembarked with the Goofy group - around 9:45-10am, (the walk-offs were allowed to start leaving around 7:30). By the time we made it off the ship, grabbed a cab (thank you wonderful porter man who let us bypass the cabstand line) and made it to the airport, it was about 11:15. I flew Alaska Air and had no issue with security/customs. I was in the actual terminal by 11:40. Maybe it was just the time of day or because it was Alaska and not United??
Wow! Tony from Croatia served us in Palo brunch October 2012! We loved him so much that we booked him for dinner! We are booked for May next year and hope to see him again!

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #64
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When getting off the ship, the Canadian customs form asked us what purchases we made in Canada and the CAD amount.

When crossing back into the US on the drive to Seattle, the officer also verbally asked the same question when we said we were on a cruise (he said, "What did you buy in Canada?"). We didn't buy anything so it was easy.

If you google the Canadian customs form I bet it will come up.

BTW OP --- sorry to hijack the thread
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #65
nancipants
Mouseketeer

Another question for anyone who was on the Wonder:

Has the Navigator app been implemented on the ship yet?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been asked!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #66
jetskigrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
When getting off the ship, the Canadian customs form asked us what purchases we made in Canada and the CAD amount.

When crossing back into the US on the drive to Seattle, the officer also verbally asked the same question when we said we were on a cruise (he said, "What did you buy in Canada?"). We didn't buy anything so it was easy.

If you google the Canadian customs form I bet it will come up.

BTW OP --- sorry to hijack the thread
Thanks so much!! I'll just make sure to keep track of what I spend in each place.

Oh..I don't think this was a hijack. The OP asked if anyone had questions about the Alaska cruise since they just got off the Wonder. That was why I asked it here

I appreciate all the help.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
Old 06-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #67
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants View Post
Another question for anyone who was on the Wonder:

Has the Navigator app been implemented on the ship yet?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been asked!
Yes, we did the California Coast and the 9-night Alaskan. I heard it was up for the California Coast and I definitely used it on the Alaskan myself. Some things I expected to find never did find were the All Ashore and All Aboard times while in port. They may have been there, but I never found them.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #68
nancipants
Mouseketeer

Awesome! Thank you!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #69
dclwonderprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
we had Eve from Wales on the following Alaskan cruise I cannot say enough good about Eve, she served us samples of almost everything on the menu. I would request her again every chance I got and I think she has been on the ship for 13 contracts.
is Eve still on the Wonder? We had her for brunch & dinner last Nov and she had put in a request to go to the Magic. I'd love to have here again!
August 2014 - Alaska on the Wonder
May 2015 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy
December 2015 - Bahamas on the Wonder
dclwonderprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #70
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclwonderprincess View Post
is Eve still on the Wonder? We had her for brunch & dinner last Nov and she had put in a request to go to the Magic. I'd love to have here again!
Yes, she was our server this past week for brunch and two dinners, and I would request her again.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #71
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
This is my worst nightmare on a cruise and a big reason I have not jumped to Alaska yet... My Dad Alaska about 15 yrs ago, and he said "never go on an Alaskan cruise. Hot chocolate and blankets on the deck is not my idea of a cruise." I asked him what time of year he went, and he said "August!"

As a pooh sized fan, I greatly appreciate having a cruise destination that calls for the daily dress to be more than a swim suit and a sarong :-)
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014
Back to Alaska on the Wonder in 2015

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #72
TheChanClan
Earning My Ears

This is a great thread. We are sailing to Alaska in Sept and so I'm interested in your trip report as well as what everyone else has to offer about cruising to Alaska.

Quote:
We will be taking the Quickshuttle to Seattle after the cruise so we won't have to worry about the airport.
Mind if I ask how much that costs and how long does it take? Does it pick you up where you disembark? I'm trying to decide if we want to fly in/out of Seattle or Vancouver.
TheChanClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #73
TheChanClan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post

As a pooh sized fan, I greatly appreciate having a cruise destination that calls for the daily dress to be more than a swim suit and a sarong :-)
Agreed!! I'm excited to skip the morning sunscreen application ritual (repeated several times throughout the day)
TheChanClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #74
jetskigrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChanClan View Post
This is a great thread. We are sailing to Alaska in Sept and so I'm interested in your trip report as well as what everyone else has to offer about cruising to Alaska.

Mind if I ask how much that costs and how long does it take? Does it pick you up where you disembark? I'm trying to decide if we want to fly in/out of Seattle or Vancouver.
It has three pickups at Canada Place; 9:00am, 9:15am and 10:45am. The 9:00 pick-up goes directly to Downtown Seattle and arrives at 12:45 pm (then goes on to Seattle Airport at 1:20 pm).

The 9:15 and 10:45 pickups have multiple stops in between so they take longer. They arrive at downtown Seattle at 1:50pm & 3:20pm and Seattle Airport at 2:25 pm & 3:55 pm respectively.

We booked the 10:45 pickup because we don't want to have to rush off the ship. We have late dining so our breakfast won't be until 8:15 or so and then we can take our time getting off the ship.

Total for 4 of us was $128 - 1 adult $43, 1 senior $41, 1 student $29 and 1 child $15).

The confirmation email says the pick up location is Canada Place Pier on cruise ship level (look for the representative located inside the terminal at the last set of doors).

The website is www.quickcoach.com if you want to check times and prices

Next Up:
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #75
Arizona Rita
DIS Veteran

Hey Gang!
Thought I should check back in on my own thread
For us the airport wasnt bad, they did check our passports but no problems.
It was interesting that after we checked our bag in that we then had to take it down ourselves and Chris had to go through another check with TSA.
It seemed like at the counter before we boarded they were really organized and boarded very quickly.

Our biggest problem with transportation was the morning of embarkation when we didnt know until we left that there was a shuttle and then on the way back to the airport our bus was later because another bus had broken down with a person who used a wheelchair and they had to take care of that first. OK. But what if you had made all of these other people late for their flights/\.
DCL didnt do too well here.
But it turned out all good.

LOVE! The navigator app! We used it several times a day and they even posted most of the menus! This was good and fun.
Also love cruise casual in Alaska. Jeans and a nice top for dinner except for 4 times, Palo 2x, formal and semi formal. Love it!

No hijacking happening here. Glad to have started the conversation. You all are doing just fine on your own.
I hope to have a review by tomorrow over on the shore excursion thread.
Arizona Rita is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: