Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #46
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Probably not on the glaicer Sorry, I couldn't resist. This is probably the wrong thread for that question. But I believe yes, they do CC 5k all the time if the ship docks.
Yes, they are. As in 5,000 miles from Alaska to Castaway Cay and back.
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #47
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

Also Just off the Wonder

United Airlines checked our passports 4 times.
Canada customs 2 times
US customs 2 times
Security 2 times
I guess it was 10 times.

Both US and Canada customs asked about how much money we had spent in Canada. They asked about fruit and meat products too, which is logical.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #48
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

Customs took 2 hours to get into Canada as well but that was due to an "person of interest" who line jumped. I can understand that delay. If Disney made your air reservations, they should be there to help you. We did our own reservations, arriving a day early.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #49
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunchback View Post
Flight was at 1:31 PM

We left the ship at 8:00 AM. Bus ride was about 20 minutes. We just made the flight. If you do not have to dispute carry-on luggage size with United you may have time for a quick grab and go lunch.

Remember, no food may be taken on or off the ship.

Good luck to your dad.
We flew out of Vancouver yesterday with United as well. Left the ship about 9:45, took the Skytrain to the airport which was quick and easy, and finally got through airport security by 12:45. United was picky about the carry-on and we had to remove our lanyards that we had stuffed into the front pocket of the suitcase to comply with their little box. It did seem like we were moved from station to station for a new line to stand in. I am used to flying Southwest and I have to say United sucks in comparison!

We had to show our passports and boarding passes several times and got caught up in security and had to completely unpack our carry-on because I had packed our FE in there and had put the magnets from the stateroom door in the FE pockets and it confused the X-ray watchers. Oops!

Our flight wasn't until 2:20 (delayed until 2:30) so we had time to grab some food at Burger King.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #50
sambycat
DIS Veteran

we were on this cruise also! it was truly wonderful! way better than i expected, in terms of “liking” it as much as a warm weather cruise (my first non-tropical cruise). i can’t get over how much i loved alaska - i actually am thinking of it as a place i would want to live!

i felt like we were pretty dang close to the glacier - i know the captain mentioned something about going as far as they felt safe too, but from this newbie’s impression, we were close to the glacier. we rotated once. it was truly breathtaking.

no anna or elsa.

our servers were arnel and sudhi - loved them! the ship looked great - haven’t been on the wonder in several years, was on the magic once from galveston about 16 months ago before the refurb and was frankly worried i wouldn’t like the wonder anymore because i wasn’t really enthused over the magic but from the minute we walked aboard i was reminded of why we love that ship! she looked great - i know people go on and on about the magic and we were on it before the dry dock, but IMHO, the wonder as is now is head and shoulders above the pre-drydock magic that people really loved.

i believe our CC reception was the 2nd day and was at 1130 - because we too had palo booked for 1200 and decided to skip the reception.

we are in seattle today - flying back tomorrow, but also experienced “longer” lines at all border crossings (train/port) coming and going - very little staff compared to the volume of people?

anyway - BEST. CRUISE. EVER.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #51
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made Up Name View Post
So we won't see you wearing your mermaid outfits on the glacier?
Cool.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 06-04-2014 at 02:04 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #52
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

Never had problems like thAt at the airport. Maybe it was just united?

Little hint, overestimate how much you've spent without going over your limit. If you say you've only spent $50 in ten days on a cruise, alarm bells go off. I always just say $300 a person and sail through. I'm not advocating saying you spent less than you did to avoid duty though!
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #53
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
That was me that made the request

Good hearing from you SK Traveler, we miss you already!

Indeed, we had a good serving team. Additionally, we had great experiences with other servers from the other meals, including Mladen from Palo, and Rochelle, Ozzy, and a few others.
Another round of applause for Mladen at Palo!! Such a sweetheart!! Aloha, Karen and Ron
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #54
tbower54
Earning My Ears

Worried about airport

Wow-- now I am worried about the airport situation! Our flight is on United at 12:50.
Do you remember what time you were allowed to disembark?? Maybe I can request the earliest time so that we won't be at risk of missing our flight. I had read and read and everyone wrote how easy it was to get through customs and they were at their gates by 10am.
tbower54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #55
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
That was me that made the request

Good hearing from you SK Traveler, we miss you already!

Indeed, we had a good serving team. Additionally, we had great experiences with other servers from the other meals, including Mladen from Palo, and Rochelle, Ozzy, and a few others.
Mladen has taken care of me on previous cruises and yes, he's a sweetie! This cruise, Toni from Croatia served us in Palo - and he's another keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunchback View Post
Warning!! It took us five hour hours to make it from the door of the airport to the airplane. I showed my passport 9 times. Boarding pass 7 times. We were always asked about what we had purchased in Canada and Alaska. We spent very little. There were always long waits and short staff at all locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbower54 View Post
Wow-- now I am worried about the airport situation! Our flight is on United at 12:50.
Do you remember what time you were allowed to disembark?? Maybe I can request the earliest time so that we won't be at risk of missing our flight. I had read and read and everyone wrote how easy it was to get through customs and they were at their gates by 10am.
For the other side of the coin, we disembarked with the Goofy group - around 9:45-10am, (the walk-offs were allowed to start leaving around 7:30). By the time we made it off the ship, grabbed a cab (thank you wonderful porter man who let us bypass the cabstand line) and made it to the airport, it was about 11:15. I flew Alaska Air and had no issue with security/customs. I was in the actual terminal by 11:40. Maybe it was just the time of day or because it was Alaska and not United??

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #56
dclwonderprincess
Mouseketeer

You're making me feel a little safer since I'm booked w/Alaskan airlines.
August 2014 - Alaska on the Wonder
May 2015 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy
December 2015 - Bahamas on the Wonder
dclwonderprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #57
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COASTIEandMATE View Post
Another round of applause for Mladen at Palo!! Such a sweetheart!! Aloha, Karen and Ron
There are actually two Mladen's in Palo. One is from Croatia, and the other I do not remember. We hade Croatia Mladen on the California Coast cruise an then we had Eve from Wales on the following Alaskan cruise I cannot say enough good about Eve, she served us samples of almost everything on the menu. I would request her again every chance I got and I think she has been on the ship for 13 contracts.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #58
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbower54 View Post
We did not fly home the day we disembarked, but I can share that our ride from the ship to the airport (we stayed at the Fairmont Airport) was a good 15 - 20 minutes ride. We spent the night and our flight was the next morning at 6:00 AM.

The first person we spoke to said be downstairs (hotel is directly above the airport, like an escalator ride down to the terminal) at 4:30, the next said 4:00 and the last one said the ticket counter (Alaskan Air) opened at 3:30 and then customs opened at 4:00).

We had a wake up call for 3:00, and were downstairs by 3:30. As previously mentioned, you schlep your own bags to be weighed (behind the ticket counter), then you schlep them to be loaded on to the conveyer belt, showing passport and boarding pass at each stop. Then you get to customs and insert passport into a terminal and answer questions, then on to TSA and show passport and boarding pass once again, then to your gate and show passport and boarding pass again. It is an arduous process. We were at the gate and waited no more than 15 minutes before we started boarding.

Because we were so early we did not encounter much of a line at any of the stops, it just took time to do all this and to figure out what we were supposed to be doing.

I highly recommend the Fairmont Airport if you are spending the night.in Vancouver. Our room was ready when we arrived around 10:30 - 11:00. It is located directly in/on the airport, so the next morning you simply have to take the escalator downstairs and check in. For those traveling on Delta or Alaskan Air, their ticket counters are located right at the base of the escalator. There are several places to eat in the immediate terminal area. The hotel is pricey but I booked thru Expedia and I think it was around $225 for the night. The beds where heavenly and the shower was great. It was worth paying for the convenience and then being able to dress appropriately for the weather at your destination as you will not have to go outside again once you get to the terminal.

Last edited by RweTHEREyet; 06-04-2014 at 01:49 PM.
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #59
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Yikes, all the customs posts has me wondering....what do you have to declare at each time (meaning the whole trip, not just the airport).

We will be flying directly into Vancouver so I'm assuming customs there will just want to verify our plans while in Canada, right?

But then you go through customs when you get on the ship, again when you get off and then again when you leave Canada?
We will be taking the Quickshuttle to Seattle after the cruise so we won't have to worry about the airport.
But what will they be asking for at each of the other stops (getting on cruise, getting off, when we cross from Canada into Washington)?
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #60
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
Yikes, all the customs posts has me wondering....what do you have to declare at each time (meaning the whole trip, not just the airport).

We will be flying directly into Vancouver so I'm assuming customs there will just want to verify our plans while in Canada, right?

But then you go through customs when you get on the ship, again when you get off and then again when you leave Canada?
We will be taking the Quickshuttle to Seattle after the cruise so we won't have to worry about the airport.
But what will they be asking for at each of the other stops (getting on cruise, getting off, when we cross from Canada into Washington)?
Yes, you show your passport for immigration when you get on the ship, then again when you get off, then again at the airport.

My dad happened to get some pretty rude customs & immigration people the year DCL first did Alaska RT Vancouver (they also flew in and out of Vancouver) and it left a bad taste in this mouth about cruising out of Vancouver. We disembarked Ballantyne Pier this year and the pier workers were much nicer (as was the customs officer) but it was rather disorganized. Ballantyne is less organized than Canada Place (where the Wonder is now) but overall I would be prepared to have it go less smoothly than Port Canaveral if you're used to cruising out of PC.

We drove from Vancouver to Seattle after our May repo and they checked our passports when crossing back into the US, so I'm sure Quikshuttle will be the same.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: