Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made Up Name View Post
So we won't see you wearing your mermaid outfits on the glacier?
Another good point. That would certainly look out of place, but by the sound of it, I wouldn't even be a comfy mermaid on the deck! I'd turn blue from top to bottom! hehe. But yes, my fishy friends would be calling me back in the Caribbean!
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...81183046_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...39615050_n.jpg
Barracuda!
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...23756682_n.jpg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...19792822_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...04599811_n.jpg

I'd be missing my crystal clear water...

Actually at this point, we are looking to fly out to DLR next fall, so I may not get to see these babies until 2016 unless I can find a heck of a last minute deal...

Thank goodness for under water cameras and memories!

Sorry to hijack, OP! It's just that the post confirmed one of my fears, although it would be the reason I would ONLY sail Alaska on DCL if I EVER did go. At least than, I know I would like the cruise even if Alaska wasn't for me...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLove View Post
I understand the Wonder had a short dry dock recently. Can u tell any of the updates? Were the beds new and/or any new stateroom carpet? Thanks !
I wasn't on the Alaska cruise but I was on the Wonder for the 2-night cruise in May. The big difference that I noticed since I was on the ship in Sept 2012 was that they updated Shutters to be like the Dream and Fantasy. They also changed out the doors so that you just need to touch the key card to the door to open it (instead of having to slide the card in the slot). I loved that change because it means I don't have to take the card out of the lanyard to open the door

The beds were the same as before. We had ours split because it was two friends traveling. I hope they don't change out the beds before we go in August. We will need them split again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
This is my worst nightmare on a cruise and a big reason I have not jumped to Alaska yet...

My Dad Alaska about 15 yrs ago, and he said "never go on an Alaskan cruise. Hot chocolate and blankets on the deck is not my idea of a cruise." I asked him what time of year he went, and he said "August!"
That is exactly why my kids are excited about Alaska. Both of them have been to Bahamas, Caribbean and Mexico. They are looking forward to the change of pace on this cruise. We live in Southern California so seeing snow and glaciers is going to be one off the highlights for us Although it does make packing a bit of an issue since we will be doing a pre-cruise stay in Vancouver and a post-cruise stay in Seattle. I'll definitely be doing laundry a couple of times this trip
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
jetskigrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Rita View Post
It was early, like around 9ish. They talked alot about Aulani and the changes at Saratoga with the bridge.

I love scrapbooking and so writing a report helps me with journaling and it just seems to me that when I was looking for Wonder trip reports there werent that many Wonder reports. I hope to get started on it today.
Thanks so much. I hope it will be that early when we cruise in August. Of course, with my luck it will be that early and that will be the morning of our character breakfast
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
Old 06-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
We live in Southern California

I just am so envious of people who live in FL and CA! Right now, I'm doing ANYTHING I can to stay busy for the next 18 months until our tentative DLR trip...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 06-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
jetskigrl

Quote:

I just am so envious of people who live in FL and CA! Right now, I'm doing ANYTHING I can to stay busy for the next 18 months until our tentative DLR trip...
I remind my kids about that all the time. How lucky they are that we go to Disneyland all the time, etc. Can you believe that I wanted to go to Disneyland last Saturday and I couldn't get my kids to come with me?

Actually, my daughter had a big project for school that she was stressing about so I will give her that one

But I feel your pain. We booked our Alaska cruise 18 months out and boy has it been a long time waiting.

Next Up:
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

Quote:
This is my worst nightmare on a cruise and a big reason I have not jumped to Alaska yet...

My Dad Alaska about 15 yrs ago, and he said "never go on an Alaskan cruise. Hot chocolate and blankets on the deck is not my idea of a cruise." I asked him what time of year he went, and he said "August!"
That's funny cuz, like you, I love the tropical weather when we cruise. My DH wants to go to Alaska one day and I contemplated booking the Alaska DVC MC next year. Decided not to do the Alaskan yet. Besides, DH said, "I thought you didn't want to go to Alaska because if the weather?" I really don't do well in the cold...that's why we live in Southern California.

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
I remind my kids about that all the time. How lucky they are that we go to Disneyland all the time, etc. Can you believe that I wanted to go to Disneyland last Saturday and I couldn't get my kids to come with me?
For pete's sake! Count to ten, count to ten. Jk I'm always amazed when I find that people actually LIVE in places I vacation. Too bad our jobs are too awesome.

Anyway, you are on the right track! You LIVE where the weather is awesome and you can go to DLR anytime, and then once in a blue moon, you go see glaciers!

ps can we be friends
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3penelope View Post
I really don't do well in the cold...that's why we live in Southern California.
Sheesh rub it in guys! lol It's like a Southern CA party up in here!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLove View Post
I understand the Wonder had a short dry dock recently. Can u tell any of the updates? Were the beds new and/or any new stateroom carpet? Thanks !
We noticed a lot of new carpet throughout the ship and new tile in Palo and other places when we cruised in April.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #25
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4Woods View Post
We had Lito and Jack. They were AMAZING!! They had great suggestions, our kids loved them, when I ordered tons of desserts they never seemed put out. They were seriously amazing!
Ok if I can't find the 12 lunch waiter I'll request these two for Hawaii. My 3 are asking to change Hawaii to the first cruise and go B2B Alaska &Hawaii.
sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
jetskigrl

Quote:
For pete's sake! Count to ten, count to ten. Jk I'm always amazed when I find that people actually LIVE in places I vacation. Too bad our jobs are too awesome.

Anyway, you are on the right track! You LIVE where the weather is awesome and you can go to DLR anytime, and then once in a blue moon, you go see glaciers!

ps can we be friends
Yeah, the weathers good but the cost of living here is terrible (always the bad with the good, LOL). When we visit family in Texas, I'm always amazed at the difference in the cost of everything items, like gas and groceries.

LOL - but you can borrow my kids when you visit DLR. They make great FP runners

Next Up:
Old 06-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
nancipants
Mouseketeer

What was your dining rotation? I know it'll be different with the 7-day cruises, but I'm trying to figure out which one I need to request. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants View Post
What was your dining rotation? I know it'll be different with the 7-day cruises, but I'm trying to figure out which one I need to request. Thanks!
According to all the information I have for the 7-night cruises, the rotations are:

PTTAPTA
TAAPTAP
APPTAPT

Formal night is the 2nd night - Sea Day
Semi-Formal night is the 5th night - Juneau

HTH
Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Rita View Post
It was early, like around 9ish. They talked alot about Aulani and the changes at Saratoga with the bridge.

I love scrapbooking and so writing a report helps me with journaling and it just seems to me that when I was looking for Wonder trip reports there werent that many Wonder reports. I hope to get started on it today.
You're describing a DVC reception, not the gold/platinum Castaway Club Reception.

On our sailing, because of the large number of repeat cruisers they split the caastaway club reception into 2 days with the welcome back letter in our stateroom telling us which one to attend. Both receptions were held in Wavebands and IIRC were at 11 (or maybe 11:30am) on the first and 2nd sea days.

The dining rotations were simple for our 9-night -- TAPx3, APTx3, PTAx3.

The Wonder's drydock was only for a couple of weeks, but they did change over all locks and kttw card readers that I noticed from magnetic swipe to RFID. It means you don't have to remove your card key from your lanyard/bag/cleavage to get into your room and it also means you don't have to worry about accidentally demagnetizing your card by having it too close to your wave phone. They changed over the guest room wave phones to a somewhat newer model. The Shutters area was completely redone with the new system, a new carpeting design, and some seating that makes it MUCH easier to get through the area to get to Animators for dinner.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #30
jetskigrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
You're describing a DVC reception, not the gold/platinum Castaway Club Reception.

On our sailing, because of the large number of repeat cruisers they split the caastaway club reception into 2 days with the welcome back letter in our stateroom telling us which one to attend. Both receptions were held in Wavebands and IIRC were at 11 (or maybe 11:30am) on the first and 2nd sea days.

The dining rotations were simple for our 9-night -- TAPx3, APTx3, PTAx3.

The Wonder's drydock was only for a couple of weeks, but they did change over all locks and kttw card readers that I noticed from magnetic swipe to RFID. It means you don't have to remove your card key from your lanyard/bag/cleavage to get into your room and it also means you don't have to worry about accidentally demagnetizing your card by having it too close to your wave phone. They changed over the guest room wave phones to a somewhat newer model. The Shutters area was completely redone with the new system, a new carpeting design, and some seating that makes it MUCH easier to get through the area to get to Animators for dinner.
Thanks so much for the information about the CC Reception. I'm guessing it will be on the first sea day for us then. Now to just keep my fingers crossed it is at 11:00 since we have Palo reservations at 12:00.
Do you recall how long it lasted?

Next Up:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: