Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
avoiding work
Earning My Ears

A few questions about Magical Express

If anyone can help with these, I would certainly appreciate it:

1. We arrive at the Orlando airport around noon. We have already paid for our room and tickets in full, and should be getting our magic bands in the mail soon. Our luggage will be carry-on size, but I was wondering: Can we just check in our luggage (American Airlines) at our home airport, and then take a Magical Express straight to the park without going to the hotel (Pop Century) first? We would then check in to our room later in the evening, with our luggage waiting for us?

2. Our departing flight is set for 4:30pm. Can we check out of our hotel (Pop) and check-in our luggage there, and then go to a park - say Magic Kingdom. Then head over to Grand Floridian or Contemporary at the time scheduled for Magical Express and go straight to the airport?

Thanks for reading!
avoiding work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
patty57
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm answering you based on what I've read here, since I haven't done either of those before.
1. I don't think that the DME buses go to the parks, only the resorts, if that's what you're asking.
2. I think that the pick-up needs to be at your resort.
Hopefully, someone will come along and correct this if I'm wrong.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Caboosey
Mouseketeer

1) Magical Express will only take you to your home resort, not to a park.

2) Magical Express will only pick you up from your home resort.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
starrysky
DIS Veteran

You don't have to go physically to your room but you would have to go to the resort to drop off your bags. Once you have done that you are free to hit the parks. The ME does not run to any park directly.

You can leave your bags at bell services at your home resort and collect them when you return for your bus. If you have done resort checkin for your flight your bags will be sent to the airport. Remember if you use that option then you won't see your bags again until you arrive at your home airport so keep that in mind for last minute shopping. Your bus will collect you from your home resort 3 hours before your flight is due to depart and you must be ready to meet your bus 15mins before. They will not allow any guest on the bus at another resort as they are scheduled to only pick up a set number of people at each resort.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboosey View Post
1) Magical Express will only take you to your home resort, not to a park.

2) Magical Express will only pick you up from your home resort.
Absolutely correct. ME is licensed as a resort transfer service not a bus service. It will transfer you between your resort and MCO only and no other destinations.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoiding work View Post
If anyone can help with these, I would certainly appreciate it:

1. We arrive at the Orlando airport around noon. We have already paid for our room and tickets in full, and should be getting our magic bands in the mail soon. Our luggage will be carry-on size, but I was wondering: Can we just check in our luggage (American Airlines) at our home airport, and then take a Magical Express straight to the park without going to the hotel (Pop Century) first? We would then check in to our room later in the evening, with our luggage waiting for us?

2. Our departing flight is set for 4:30pm. Can we check out of our hotel (Pop) and check-in our luggage there, and then go to a park - say Magic Kingdom. Then head over to Grand Floridian or Contemporary at the time scheduled for Magical Express and go straight to the airport?

Thanks for reading!
1. Unless you have elite status or an American CC, you would have to pay to check those bags. They will only take you to your resort.

2. They will only pick you up at your resort.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Donald - my hero
Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
Rescues lime green Mickey head paint chips from Home Depot

No-one has addressed your tickets. If you bought yours as part of a package you MUST physically check-in to have them activated. (same goes for a dining plan if you have one as well) Your MB will not work until you have done that. Wouldn't want you to get to the gate and be told that no tickets are linked yet
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post52016805
Donald - my hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
hill6
DIS Veteran

I would definitely spend the 5-10 minutes to check in before going the park. My Magic Band didn't work when we arrived two weeks ago. It took a supervisor 10 minutes to fix it.

The Dark Side May 8-10.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 10-14
Bay Lake Tower May 14-15. Hoping for last night at Wilderness Lodge
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Since DME is dropping you off at your resort, with your carry on, it would make sense to check in at that time, making sure everything is activated. And then if room isn't ready you can just store your luggage at Bell service

Returning home, as others said, you must go back to your resort to get on your DME. If you don't have any checked luggage & just carry on, you can store it at YOUR resort with Bell Service, and retrieve it when you return to get on the DME back to MCO.
In the morning you can check in for your flights and get your boarding passes at the airline desk outside. I believe they close by noon or 1pm so you'd have to do it before heading out in the morning to a park. Great service.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
avoiding work
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. I think I understand. Just a few follow-up points:

Although we have carry-on size luggage, we were considering checking our bags anyway because we have airline elite status. As I understand it, if we do check our bags at our home airport, we will not see them at our resort for 3-4 hours after we arrive. And since we arrive at noon, our room will likely not be ready for 3-4 hours. So, we will be going to Pop for two reasons only: 1) only Pop Century (our resort) can activate our magic bands, and 2) the MDE will not take us anywhere else.

Thanks,
avoiding work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:

Although we have carry-on size luggage, we were considering checking our bags anyway because we have airline elite status. As I understand it, if we do check our bags at our home airport, we will not see them at our resort for 3-4 hours after we arrive. And since we arrive at noon, our room will likely not be ready for 3-4 hours. So, we will be going to Pop for two reasons only: 1) only Pop Century (our resort) can activate our magic bands, and 2) the MDE will not take us anywhere else.

Thanks,
Your points are correct. If you opt to check your bags at the airport anyway, DME will deliver them 3-4 hours after check-in (once your room is ready). You can always pick them up from baggage claim yourself at the Orlando airport, and bring them on the DME bus with you.

You will need to go to Pop to activate your MBs/tickets. MDE will only take you to resort. You will scan your MB at the DME area in the airport which tells them the resort you are staying at, and they will direct you to the appropriate bus for that resort.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Your points are correct. If you opt to check your bags at the airport anyway, DME will deliver them 3-4 hours after check-in (once your room is ready). You can always pick them up from baggage claim yourself at the Orlando airport, and bring them on the DME bus with you.
They can't get them at the airport if they've put the yellow tags on them, though. Yellow tagged bags are taken away before they get to the carousel.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
UrsulaTheSeaWitch
Earning My Ears

I've arrived at 10:00 am and not had bags sent up to my room until after 8:00 pm, so I would not rely too heavily on the 3-4 hours guideline if you think you are going to need something out of your bag for that evening.
UrsulaTheSeaWitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks,
You got it. Your room may or may not be ready at noon. Sometimes I've gotten my room early, sometimes not. If you check your bags, correct, they will be delivered to your room in 3ish hrs. I always take a carry on with me with what I'll need for the day, including pjs, bathing suit chsnge of clothes incase airline looses my luggage.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsulaTheSeaWitch View Post
I've arrived at 10:00 am and not had bags sent up to my room until after 8:00 pm, so I would not rely too heavily on the 3-4 hours guideline if you think you are going to need something out of your bag for that evening.
That's an unusual anomoly (yes, I'm aware of the intentional redundancy ). Most likely the airline had misdirected your luggage.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: