Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
JayCT
DIS Veteran

Club Level - Anyone Else Noticing Changes

We have been coming to Disney World for years now and have been staying Club Level for the amenities. Back when we started in 2002, we remember it being a real treat with lavish appetizers, drinks and desserts. The staff was so friendly and went out of their way for you. It made us feel special so we were willing to pay the extra it cost.

Then as the years passed things changed. Each year there were small changes and not for the better. The appetizers and desserts have gotten smaller and less interesting. There was less variety of evening drinks offered. There were fewer items at breakfast each year.

I think this year I noticed the biggest difference though with the attitude of the staff actually almost hostile. I was shocked that we were actually refused (with an attitude) to be given a large bottle of water for our room. "We don't do that" we were told (Ah, yes you did). You would have thought we were asking for a bottle of whiskey not water.

Other things changed as well. They stopped offering individual containers of yogurt in the morning, instead putting the yogurt in tiny little cups. There was less food put out each service and the staff seemed slow in responding to requests. Only a small plate of cookies are placed out now and in the evening they were completely gone very early. They now serve you the evening drinks and limit you to two. You have to ask for milk in the evening. It just seems that they are nickel and diming you to try and save a penny here and there. While I know staying Club Level was never really worth it, I am now thinking it really is now a complete rip off. Jay
2002 - Poly LV Concierge
2004 - CR 12th Floor Concierge/YC Concierge
2005 - Dolphin Concierge
2006 - Poly GV Concierge (January)
2006 - YC Concierge/Celebration Hospital (August)
2007 - Poly GV Concierge
2008 - YC Concierge
2009 - YC Concierge
2010 - YC Concierge
2011 - YC Concierge
2012 - YC Club Level
2013 - YC Club Level
2014 - YC Club Level
JayCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
saskdw
DIS Veteran

We always stay club level at the Universal resorts. It's a great deal when you stay over a week like we do, they have the "stay more save more" promo. The club level rooms are $100 a night more than the standard rooms. We have always been treated great and felt it was worth the money.

We have never gone for the club level at WDW because it is $150-$175 a night more than standard rooms and the WDW Deluxe resort price is way higher to begin with. As far as I can tell the amenities are about the same and really don't feel like there is that kind of value. Especially not if they are cutting back the service like you say. It sounds like they are trying to cut cost by discouraging people from taking advantage of what they paid for.

We do stay in the Business Class rooms at CSR, which is only $50 a night more. Some refer to it as club level lite and it also offers the most premium room location at CSR.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
sarmat1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They now serve you the evening drinks and limit you to two.
Wow - they limit your drinks now? Is that two per night or two for the entire day?
sarmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmat1 View Post
Wow - they limit your drinks now? Is that two per night or two for the entire day?
Yeah that sounds super cheap. It's cheap wine to begin with.

Looks like OP stayed at YC where people have posted that drinks are now being served from a cart.

Sounds cheap about the yogurt/cookies too. If they don't want to have a CL, then don't offer it. If people are paying $150-$175 per night for snacks, give them their snacks!

Last edited by Eastern; 08-11-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmat1 View Post
I missed that part when I first read the OP.

That is ridiculous!!

I would imagine club level will probably be phased out all together in a couple years. No one in their right mind will pay Disney Deluxe prices plus the club level upgrade that is more than other places charge for the same thing for what amounts to the same Continental breakfast you get at the Holiday Inn for free!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
I missed that part when I first read the OP.

That is ridiculous!!

I would imagine club level will probably be phased out all together in a couple years. No one in their right mind will pay Disney Deluxe prices plus the club level upgrade that is more than other places charge for the same thing for what amounts to the same Continental breakfast you get at the Holiday Inn for free!
You could get an entire extra room at a value or possibly a moderate for what they are currently charging per day for Club Level.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
You could get an entire extra room at a value or possibly a moderate for what they are currently charging per day for Club Level.
And fill it with beer, snacks, and breakfast supply's from Garden grocer!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
jd99
DIS Veteran

we stayed at YC in the Spring and they were serving drinks from the cart but weren't limiting it to two - at least not that I was aware of. Perhaps they are limiting to two at a time (which is pretty standard I would think).
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Yes, we have noticed the difference. We're DVC members but would sometimes stay CL for the extras. The CM's attitudes stink. I don't expect to have my fanny kissed but I do expect them to be polite and not rude. The service used to be extra special and now it feels like we're dealing with a snarky Wal Mart salesperson. Who wants to pay $$$$ for that?
Disneychick75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
we stayed at YC in the Spring and they were serving drinks from the cart but weren't limiting it to two - at least not that I was aware of. Perhaps they are limiting to two at a time (which is pretty standard I would think).
I've never had any trouble getting an arm full of beer or bottled water at the Hard Rock or Royal Pacific.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

We loved staying club level in the past and planned to again this year. But we did drop the club level from our reservation of these types of reports. Can't justify it. There doesn't seem to be any return for that much money. It sounds less and less special with every report unfortunately.

ToyStory3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
wdwfan
Sometimes I prefer to keep my own council

We'll be at Yacht Club Club level in about 5 days. I really hope that they'll offer more than 2 drinks. Seriously?? But if its as bad as others have said, I'll be finished with club level. I'll be sure to post while I'm there.
2001-Boardwalk;2002-Beach Club Villas & Dolphin;2003-Yacht Club Concierge & Portofino Bay;2004-Boardwalk Concierge Deluxe & Portofino Bay;2005-BWV;2005-Boardwalk Concierge & CSR;2006-Wilderness Lodge;2006-Animal Kingdom Lodge;2007-Beach Club;2007-Beach Club Villas and the Wonder
Oct. 31-Nov. 7, 2009- Western Caribbean on the Magic August 2010 Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level;
Yacht Club - Club Level Sept. 2012; Yacht Club - Club Level Aug. 2013 ; Aug. 2014 Yacht Club-Club Level/Portofino Bay Resort Disney's Dream July1, 2015

wdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Sue M
DIS Veteran

our last CL stay was 2 yrs ago at AKL, loved it. We have added 2 nights CL at GF this upcoming trip and hope I don't find it horrible. We are really looking forward to it.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
MouseOfGold
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
We'll be at Yacht Club Club level in about 5 days. I really hope that they'll offer more than 2 drinks. Seriously?? But if its as bad as others have said, I'll be finished with club level. I'll be sure to post while I'm there.
Looking forward to your report! I added AKL CL on the end of our AoA stay as a birthday treat for my mom. And I've never stayed CL before so I was interested in seeing if it's something I'd book again for future trips.

Sounds like I need to lower my CL expectations already

12/'13 CSR, 1/'12 Off Site, 10/'07 Off Site, 12/'96 BC, 12/'87 The Disney Inn-my 1st WDW trip when the magic hit me
MouseOfGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
jd99
DIS Veteran

I can see why Disney may be trying to do some policing of piggish behavior as we saw some real doozies during our GF Sugarloaf stay last year. One family filled up a stroller with beer. Literally must have taken 16 bottles to take out to the pool. Then there were the ladies crowded around the buffet who took a bottle of the wine off the display to refill their glasses while they ate directly from the serving dishes and treated it like their own private party. It was gross. and I saw both of these situations (the beer stroller and entitled ladies) on 3 of our five days there. So if Disney is saying take two drinks at a time, I'm kind of okay with that.
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: