Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

Disappointed in seven dwarfs mine ride!

I was expecting lots of character/animatronics and there was only 1 scene at the very end. It won't please roller coaster fanatics and is too scary and not interesting for children. After all the hype what happened? Staff at universal were laughing about it!

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats Dragon View Post
I was expecting lots of character/animatronics and there was only 1 scene at the very end. It won't please roller coaster fanatics and is too scary and not interesting for children. After all the hype what happened? Staff at universal were laughing about it!
Disney hype or impatient, clueless-about-the-ride-particulars fan hype?

I thought the dark scene in the middle was gorgeous and the overall theming excellent. The coaster itself was pretty much exactly what I expected.

I don't think target-age children will find it too scary or uninteresting.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Damien2213
Mouseketeer

I wonder if Universal will still be laughing if/when Disney pulls the Marvel plug out from under them...

That being said....you were apparently mislead or uninformed if you thought this was a thrill ride. This is nothing more than a family attraction dark ride themed to a mine train. It was never sold as anything else. It was never mentioned it would contain more scenes than what is inside the mine. Never mind the fact there is another scene after the mine. We shall ignore that fact.

In fact at no point do I ever remember the the expansion listing tons of thrill rides for fantasyland. If you want to go to an amusement park go to an amusement park. Disney is in the business of themeparks. I can live without all the rollercoasters and I actually like rollercoasters but I don't go to Disney for rollercoasters. I can stay a heck of a lot closer to home for rollercoasters just as good as anything Universal offers. If I went to Universal it would be for its themed attractions.
Damien2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

It would be cool if it was longer, but I think it looks good for what it is supposed to be..a kiddie coaster.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
evilqueenmindy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Disney hype or clueless-about-the-ride-particulars fan hype?

I thought the dark scene in the middle was gorgeous and the overall theming excellent. The coaster itself was pretty much exactly what I expected.
agreed! Loved the theming. Thought the whole thing was adorable. I'm really not sure why anyone would assume there are big thrills here, the height requirement is lower than Thunder Mt.
However, I had FP for it. It's not worth the 105 min wait time we saw all day yesterday. (Although I confess, I don't think ANY theme park ride is worth 105 min. . .but that's just me)
evilqueenmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
maryj11
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed it and my 11 year old said it was one of her favorites.

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien2213 View Post
I wonder if Universal will still be laughing if/when Disney pulls the Marvel plug out from under them...

That being said....you were apparently mislead or uninformed if you thought this was a thrill ride. This is nothing more than a family attraction dark ride themed to a mine train. It was never sold as anything else. It was never mentioned it would contain more scenes than what is inside the mine. Never mind the fact there is another scene after the mine. We shall ignore that fact.

In fact at no point do I ever remember the the expansion listing tons of thrill rides for fantasyland. If you want to go to an amusement park go to an amusement park. Disney is in the business of themeparks. I can live without all the rollercoasters and I actually like rollercoasters but I don't go to Disney for rollercoasters. I can stay a heck of a lot closer to home for rollercoasters just as good as anything Universal offers. If I went to Universal it would be for its themed attractions.
Doubtful that will be happening anytime soon.

I'm sure the ride is cute based on youtube, but do think it is basically the same as the majority of the rides MK offers. It is nostalgic for adults and is fun for kids to see. I do think it is a let down b/c it is all they have to really offer NFL based on the time it took. I can see why Universal would be getting a little grin since they are offering way more in less time, but I am sure they know this will not impact WDW bottom line in a negative way. It is still going to bring in crowds. I do think what Universal has to offers will impact their bottom line...as their profits over the next few years continue to grow.
nugov2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Epcotfan64
Epcot Fan

Pretty good, but would have liked a 3rd lift hill, like with Big Thunder.
Epcotfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

Actually i am not a thrill coaster rider but LOVE traditional fantasy land rides like the old snow white. Maybe I expected a ride like that with a little spice thrown in and instead was surprised and dismayed. I love Disney and think they could have done better.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats Dragon View Post
Actually i am not a thrill coaster rider but LOVE traditional fantasy land rides like the old snow white. Maybe I expected a ride like that with a little spice thrown in and instead was surprised and dismayed. I love Disney and think they could have done better.
Serious question: in what way?
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epcotfan64 View Post
Pretty good, but would have liked a 3rd lift hill, like with Big Thunder.
It was a footprint problem. They had to shoe-horn the attraction into a space that was originally designed for meet and greets. That limited that size of the coaster.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
rudetreehill
Mouseketeer

I'm disappointed that yet again, Disney has gone the non-thrill ride route. They have the family-friendly market covered a thousand times over. But they are falling SO far behind in other areas. Did we really need yet another mine train ride? I have no doubt I'm in the minority here, but I want to see innovation and thrills. Then again , I've beaten this drum since the whole Alien Encounter de scarification. Guess folks looking for thrills will continue to find them elsewhere, which is great news for Universal!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudetreehill View Post
I'm disappointed that yet again, Disney has gone the non-thrill ride route. They have the family-friendly market covered a thousand times over.
Because family-friendly is Disney's niche. Also, since Fantasyland is geared more towards children to begin with, it doesn't really make sense to put a thrill ride in there that most children wouldn't be able to ride.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
prudence64
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudetreehill View Post
I'm disappointed that yet again, Disney has gone the non-thrill ride route. They have the family-friendly market covered a thousand times over. But they are falling SO far behind in other areas. Did we really need yet another mine train ride? I have no doubt I'm in the minority here, but I want to see innovation and thrills. Then again , I've beaten this drum since the whole Alien Encounter de scarification. Guess folks looking for thrills will continue to find them elsewhere, which is great news for Universal!
I'm done enjoying thrill rides. Outgrew them or something. They all give me a headache. Thunder mountain is about my limit.
prudence64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudence64 View Post
I'm done enjoying thrill rides. Outgrew them or something. They all give me a headache. Thunder mountain is about my limit.
Agreed....can't deal with thrill rides anymore. Test Track, Thunder Mountain etc is enough for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: