Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

EBTA Magic mini review

Hi,
Just off the 12 night EBTA on the 'reimagined' Magic. We are a couple, with no kids yet having only previously sailed on the Dream and Fantasy. It might sound daft, but it took us several days to get our head round the fact, it wasn't the Dream/Fantasy. It is much noticeably smaller and older. Once we got over this, we really began to enjoy our voyage.
Here are a few of my positive observations: Entertainment was fantastic.
Servers great
Larger adult pool area
Maleficent PremEar

Negative aspects
Pool food - definitely not as good as larger ships Cove Cafe - looks out of place without makeover
No character breakfast.
Mixology supposed to be limited to small group - not the case, was done in Cariocas with large group and reduced time.

We also got the animators palate animation show (apparently first time since dry dock?)

Two cruise directors - Brent and Natalie - she is leaving ship, he's doing Europe. Thought the chemistry between them was great.

One thing really bugged me - how rude some of the pax were towards the crew. Spoke to them like dirt on your shoe. Really bugged me and is in my thoughts.

Overall, a wonderful 12 nights. Back to reality :-(
steveyjc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Animator's show was on our 4-night a few weeks ago.

What kind of entertainment did they have for all those nights?
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

They had the usual disney shows, and a few others... One mans dream, Kyle @ Mistie Knight, crew talent show, Ventriloquist, Stringfever, Donovan and ?? (Acrobatics show), a girl who was Ariel on the stage version of the little mermaid (forget her name, sorry) and a comedy/juggler that was a runner up on America's got talent

They flew new performers into Madeira, and took some off. Have to say, I was impressed with entertainment this cruise. They also had a lecturer.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
megan2461
Earning My Ears

hi, how was the crossing, was the weather nice, we are hoping to do this cruise next year, thanks
megan2461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

The weather was fabulous - I can think of it being overcast for approx 5 hours on two days. Other than that, nice and sunny. Very, very calm seas.

Not sure next yr will be the same as you will be crossing so much further north?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
JoyB-UK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan2461 View Post
hi, how was the crossing, was the weather nice, we are hoping to do this cruise next year, thanks
The 2015 transatlantic cruise is completely different. It will be hard to predict the weather as it sails across the very far north atlantic. It may be fine some of the time but it will also be quite cold some days.
Disneyland - 2011
DCL 2010 7 night Western Caribbean, 2011 7 night Med, 2013 4 night Med, 2014 12 night Med, 2014 4 night Med
coming up 2015 Halloween in the Bahamas and WDW
Other Cruises - Baltics Vision of the Seas 2012, Adventure of the Seas 2013, Norway Independence of the Seas 2013
Non Cruise Trips - Barbados, Cuba, New York, LA & Las Vegas, Gambia, Tunisia, Thailand, Berlin, Paris, Majorca, etc.
JoyB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
megan2461
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyjc81 View Post
The weather was fabulous - I can think of it being overcast for approx 5 hours on two days. Other than that, nice and sunny. Very, very calm seas.

Not sure next yr will be the same as you will be crossing so much further north?
thanks, sorry should have said same way across but different cruise line, thanks again, sounds lovely
megan2461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
pooh173
Earning My Ears

One thing really bugged me - how rude some of the pax were towards the crew. Spoke to them like dirt on your shoe. Really bugged me and is in my thoughts.

Overall, a wonderful 12 nights. Back to reality :-([/QUOTE]

We were on the same cruise and just to say I totally agree how rude some passengers were.Serenity Bay was anything but serene thanks to a group of loud mouthed passengers,a whole table on our rotation thought it was funny to shout and laugh loudly and inappropriately throughout almost every meal,very few people around us at dinner acknowledged the servers when they were serving/clearing,another diner decided to nap at the table because he was bored .I could go on-how CMs hold their tongues I do not know.People think they have paid their money so they can behave how they want-what happens to good manners?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

It's been going through my head ever since. It was almost like "you're from xxxx, I'm better than you". I really felt sorry for some of them, and almost thought I should apologise for their behaviour, even though I didn't know them from Adam.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
kerric
Earning My Ears

Was on the same cruise and I agree some of the people were rude to the staff like they were dirt. Had women getting drunk in the afternoon and was ignorant to other guests during trivia, and during other stuff too was really loud. Don't get why people go on disney cruises to get drunk :/ want to do that go on one where there's no children just adults. Other than that was really good. Weather was perfect.
kerric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Were they from a group ? I've observed that behavior on previous cruises - clearly not what I'd call "Disney people".
Old 06-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
kerric
Earning My Ears

Yeah they were a group of middle aged women getting drunk in the middle of the day. Had the same thing happen last year but that was bad as one woman got pushed into the adult pool as they were all drunk. Just don't get it really
kerric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
margaretstahl
Earning My Ears

I was in that group of middle age women drinking in the middle of the day although I am slightly past middle age. The event that was mentioned was a private champagne Tasting. Please note the word tasting. I don't think anyone got drunk on 5 sample size servings of champagne.
Yes, we had fun. This was a big family reunion for some of us. Many of us have cruised together for several cruises and we are a fun loving bunch.
If my dinner had been disturbed by a loud party or even a crying child, I would have talked to my head server and asked to be moved.
I am a naturally quiet person. Other people are naturally energetic, full of energy and excitement, and much louder than myself.
I thought it was a terrific cruise and I really enjoyed myself.
margaretstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyjc81 View Post
Hi,

Those people really bug me too. You run into them everywhere. They treat the staff like they are their personal slaves (in the worse possible sense of the word). The staff is there to SERVE US --- NOT be our servants!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

We went on the Magic in April as our "grand slam" cruise. After doing the Dream and the Fantasy, I was worried that I wouldn't like the classic (older) ship as much.

I must say, we LOVED it. We found that the ship was much easier to navigate, and the activities staff made up for the size of the ship with amazing programming. We thought there were many more opportunities for fun "family time" on the Magic. All in all, we had a fabulous experience.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: