Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
abarnes64
Mouseketeer

What does the average family spend on dining at WDW for 1 wk?

Using dining calculator for my particular ADRs, 2 adults, 1 child, at least 1 TS/ day and sometimes 2 TS/day....... 1489 for 8 days. DDP was around 1670. Ouch
abarnes64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarnes64 View Post
Using dining calculator for my particular ADRs, 2 adults, 1 child, at least 1 TS/ day and sometimes 2 TS/day....... 1489 for 8 days. DDP was around 1670. Ouch
It's myself and DD, and we do 1-2 TS/day (breakfast and dinner or lunch) over the span of 9 days. Totaling receipts from just those meals from our last trip (2 weeks ago) it was $679.12 (really $848.90 but I get 20% off with my TiW card). That cost doesn't reflect the few QS meals we had (figure about $60 worth), alcohol ($70 or so), and snacks/water ($125).

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Momof2Singers
Mouseketeer

It really adds up, I did the same comparison, for 8 nights, ours would be $1950, we have quite a few character meals and other TS meals, so ours is around $1750. I included (2) cups instead of the (4) we would have gotten and I also added all the snacks, but no desserts since we really don't order it normally

Only $200 difference, but we like not having to eat if we don't want to and the last two times we did it, we had snacks and meals left at the end of the week.
That will pay for our gas down there and back.

A lot of people really like it, its a personal choice.
Momof2Singers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
abarnes64
Mouseketeer

We had planned to do TIW for the 1st time......we are DVC members (newbies) and it is a nice discount but STILL - ouch!

I did forget and actually added my CRT ADR in the calculation- that I already paid for, so I should get some monies back on my TIW on that.

I hate to cancel any of my ADRs my plan.now is to print menus and calculate more specifics on how we tailor our ordering to see how I can bring costs down.

This was without adult bevs - AND I was hoping to have a few fun cocktails at some point. Also without even CONSIDERING F&W.....my plan for this is to get some Disney GCs and when that is spent, it's spent. Done. If a person doesn't think "cost control" or plan at some point prior to trip- things could get out of hand with regard to spending- easy.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
River Country
DIS Jedi

In December 2013 there was me DW and DD (7)

It was 8 days and $1280 incl. tax and tip. Yes we have the TiW and we do 2 TS per day including signatures i.e. Cali Grill, CRT, LeCellier
Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

As a family of 5, we spend probably around $2,000 - $2,500 for 1 week on food. And we have TIW as well. We do lots of table service places, and we don't skip on snacks either. Caramel Apples here, popcorn there, ice cream here, water there. It adds up fast.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarnes64 View Post
My calculations say that the DDP would be $1455 for 8 nights for 3 adults. And that would be even less if the child is under 10.

Edit: Actually, with the DVC discount, it would be $1407.84.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Last edited by EPCOTatNight; 05-29-2014 at 07:50 AM.
EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

In jan of 2013 this was my example in response to a thread comparing ddp and non ddp:

We ate and drank what we want when we wanted, and I wanted to see how that compared to the dining plan. Now, these costs are based basically on two adults and Molly (my daughter who was under three and free), but I compared them to what the meal plan would have cost us. I think the only way you can judge the value of the dining plan is after you dine without it because it is too hard to know what you would have ordered if you weren't on the meal plan. Alot of people see their receipts and think, "wow, look how expensive that is, good thing we're on the meal plan", but would you really have ordered a dessert for everyone at the table? Would you really eat a counter service, a snack and a table service meal each day? Anyway, for us the meal plan for 2013 is $55 per day. That comes out to $880 for both of us for eight nights.

In total we spent $1,058 on food and dining. Now, maybe you're asking how could I come out better not on the dining plan when I spent more. Well, this is why. That $1,058 included all of our groceries from Publix, which included a case of beer and two bottle of wine, plus other non food items for the room. That $1,058 also included alcohol that we ordered with our meals, AND gratuity we spent, both of which you have to pay extra for with the meal plan. Most importantly, it allowed us to order what we want when we wanted it. It isn't like we ate cheap. We ate at Ohana, California Grill, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review, Be Our Guest, Wishes Dessert Party (also not included on the dining plan), Mama Melrose, Big River Grill and did the Dine with Shamu experience at Sea World. Another benefit of not having the meal plan is it doesn't cost you any more money to dine at any of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants (Blue Zoo, Kimonos, Shulas, etc). At the California Grill, the night before the marathon, we ordered an app, two sushi rolls and a salad and it was MORE THAN ENOUGH food....thats impossible on the meal plan, no matter how full you are.

Notes by Cliff:
-Dining Plan would have cost wife and I $880 (no gratuity, no apps, no salads, no alcohol, etc.)
-Opted for out of pocket and spent $1058 (included all alcohol, all gratuity, all apps, salads and a grocery store strip which included alcohol for the room snacks and cleaning supplies)
-We ate at Ohana, California Grill, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review, Be Our Guest, Wishes Dessert Party (also not included on the dining plan), Mama Melrose, Big River Grill and did the Dine with Shamu experience at Sea World

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
In jan of 2013 this was my example in response to a thread comparing ddp and non ddp:

We ate and drank what we want when we wanted, and I wanted to see how that compared to the dining plan. Now, these costs are based basically on two adults and Molly (my daughter who was under three and free), but I compared them to what the meal plan would have cost us. I think the only way you can judge the value of the dining plan is after you dine without it because it is too hard to know what you would have ordered if you weren't on the meal plan. Alot of people see their receipts and think, "wow, look how expensive that is, good thing we're on the meal plan", but would you really have ordered a dessert for everyone at the table? Would you really eat a counter service, a snack and a table service meal each day? Anyway, for us the meal plan for 2013 is $55 per day. That comes out to $880 for both of us for eight nights.

In total we spent $1,058 on food and dining. Now, maybe you're asking how could I come out better not on the dining plan when I spent more. Well, this is why. That $1,058 included all of our groceries from Publix, which included a case of beer and two bottle of wine, plus other non food items for the room. That $1,058 also included alcohol that we ordered with our meals, AND gratuity we spent, both of which you have to pay extra for with the meal plan. Most importantly, it allowed us to order what we want when we wanted it. It isn't like we ate cheap. We ate at Ohana, California Grill, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review, Be Our Guest, Wishes Dessert Party (also not included on the dining plan), Mama Melrose, Big River Grill and did the Dine with Shamu experience at Sea World. Another benefit of not having the meal plan is it doesn't cost you any more money to dine at any of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants (Blue Zoo, Kimonos, Shulas, etc). At the California Grill, the night before the marathon, we ordered an app, two sushi rolls and a salad and it was MORE THAN ENOUGH food....thats impossible on the meal plan, no matter how full you are.

Notes by Cliff:
-Dining Plan would have cost wife and I $880 (no gratuity, no apps, no salads, no alcohol, etc.)
-Opted for out of pocket and spent $1058 (included all alcohol, all gratuity, all apps, salads and a grocery store strip which included alcohol for the room snacks and cleaning supplies)
-We ate at Ohana, California Grill, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review, Be Our Guest, Wishes Dessert Party (also not included on the dining plan), Mama Melrose, Big River Grill and did the Dine with Shamu experience at Sea World
Hello, my Northshore neighbor.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
ericstac
DIS Veteran

with a family of five and the two older boys are dis adults at 10 and 12, the 12 year old enjoys adult meals, 10 year old still is fine with kids meals.. there is a little cost savings not buying the dining plan. one of the biggest perks of not doing it though is not being tied down to the dessert options at the restaurant.

many times in the past when we would do free dining trips we would go eat and dessert time came and I would of much rather gone to ghirardelli's or beaches and cream, or even a CS dessert place but we ate our TS desserts instead

now being AP and TIW we eat what we want and it seems more enjoyable.. plus we are not running around trying to use up credits the last day.
2013 - Beach Club/Polynesian - Christmas
2014 - (May) Port Orleans Riverside
2014 - (July) Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - (Dec) Port Orleans Riverside

EJ's Disney Pinterest Board

EJ's 2014 VLOG has Begun
ericstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
abarnes64
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post

My calculations say that the DDP would be $1455 for 8 nights for 3 adults. And that would be even less if the child is under 10.

Edit: Actually, with the DVC discount, it would be $1407.84.
Yes that sounds right, I calculated last nt and wrote post in a few sec from memory this morn
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
MattRyan
Mouseketeer

Calculator says mine will be $818 for 4 days with 3 adults, which seems reasonable.
MattRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: