Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
pjhootch
Mouseketeer

What on Earth is going on November 20th?

Even if I am not picky about which ADR I make... I cannot get a reservation for 5 for dinner at ANY time in Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and only 3:15 at the Plaza restaurant in Magic Kingdom. It isn't just a glitch today... I have been getting similar information for the last three days.
pjhootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

According to the travel agents calendar DHS is closing at 4:00 pm and AK is closing at 5:00 pm on 11/20/14, so that would probably explain why there are no dinner ADRs available at either park.
http://media.disneywebcontent.com/St...t_November.pdf

You might also try searching for tables for 6. The system does better searching for tables for even numbered parties (always to up in size). Also, the system usually gives better info if you select a specific time (e.g., 6:00 pm) opposed to the "Dinner" option.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We were there this week last year, and DHS closes at 4pm around this time every year for a CM awards ceremony (we were told). We made the mistake of visiting DTD this night and it was nuts. I'd recommend making an ADR at a resort and having a quiet evening to avoid the craziness at other parks.
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
dachsie
Mouseketeer

I just did a search for Nov 20 at 7pm and found Garden Grill, Biergarten, Coral Reef and Via Napoli with availablity for 5

ETA: Ok I am reading impaired. I thought you said any park and I found some in Epcot. Dumb me!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
pjhootch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachsie View Post
I just did a search for Nov 20 at 7pm and found Garden Grill, Biergarten, Coral Reef and Via Napoli with availablity for 5

ETA: Ok I am reading impaired. I thought you said any park and I found some in Epcot. Dumb me!
That's okay, I appreciate the help anyway! Having AK and HS parks closed for an awards ceremony certainly explains what I am running into.

I will switch parks around and try this again! Thank you folks.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhootch View Post
That's okay, I appreciate the help anyway! Having AK and HS parks closed for an awards ceremony certainly explains what I am running into.
Just to clarify, I think only DHS is closing for the awards ceremony. AK appears to closing at 5:00 pm on most all of the days in November. So in terms of AK, you'll probably have to eat either around 4:45 pm (last ADR time, I think) or go to a different park or resort.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Flanders
Earning My Ears

We are going that same week and I've had a lot of trouble with ADR's then too.

I have come up with a theory here, I think it's on the calender for people that do the research as a good week to go this year because of the late Holiday and those are the kinds of people that know to make the ADR's way out at 180 days.

As it is, you can get ADR's for days in June that are going to be crazy busy but not in November right now.

I'm hoping plans change and things might actually start to loosen up as we get closer, maybe around September when trips might really need to get paid for and fall apart. I'd say take what you can get, when you can get it, right now and then bookmark the pages of restaurants you want and keep trying for the better ADR's.

That's what I'm doing to a couple tweaks I'd like to make to what I was able to get last Monday AM.

Worse comes to worse there's always counter service to fall back on, bringing food in or leaving for dinner and coming back, no worries.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
Just to clarify, I think only DHS is closing for the awards ceremony. AK appears to closing at 5:00 pm on most all of the days in November. So in terms of AK, you'll probably have to eat either around 4:45 pm (last ADR time, I think) or go to a different park or resort.
Yes, this is correct. AK closing at 5pm that time of year is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
We are going that same week and I've had a lot of trouble with ADR's then too.

I have come up with a theory here, I think it's on the calender for people that do the research as a good week to go this year because of the late Holiday and those are the kinds of people that know to make the ADR's way out at 180 days.

As it is, you can get ADR's for days in June that are going to be crazy busy but not in November right now.

I'm hoping plans change and things might actually start to loosen up as we get closer, maybe around September when trips might really need to get paid for and fall apart. I'd say take what you can get, when you can get it, right now and then bookmark the pages of restaurants you want and keep trying for the better ADR's.

That's what I'm doing to a couple tweaks I'd like to make to what I was able to get last Monday AM.

Worse comes to worse there's always counter service to fall back on, bringing food in or leaving for dinner and coming back, no worries.
We did the week before Thanksgiving last year and it was very slow. We're doing it again this year and crowd calendars have it projected as 2 most days. It will still be slow. I think the lack of ADRs you may be seeing is due to free dining. This always happens when a free dining promo is on. We heed the most recommended parks by Easy WDW, and were able to make all the ADRs we wanted at our 180 day mark. If you are trying to get something like BOG or CRT, that may explain why there's no availability. But keep checking.
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
pjhootch
Mouseketeer

I really wasn't trying for any restaurants that should be difficult, but between AK closing at 5 and HS closing early, that threw me off. I just rearranged my plan and made some reservations to fall back on.

I do think people are correct that the free dining thing is jamming things up that week. We've gone this time of year and crowds aren't much of a problem. However, with FD we are all trying at the 180 day point now and the FD dates in November are a mess to get a reservation. I'm using FD too, or else I wouldn't be worried about where I am eating!

I do expect that things will loosen up some as people cancel the reservations they have booked at multiple restaurants, throw away rooms and every other trick in the book that folks use.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
kpearl
Mouseketeer

I'm visiting the week before Thanksgiving as well and seriously struggled with ADR's. We made a list of first choices and when it came time to booking a lot of my days I had to go with our third or fourth choice

Our group isn't that large - we've never had issues in the past booking these restaurants for us so I know that isn't a factor. I think FD is the biggest culprit. Plus it doesn't help some of the days have shorter park hours. Keep checking and good luck!

ASMovies 1997 SSR 2009 CBR 2011 POP 2014 AKL 2014
kpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
ownedby3
Earning My Ears

I am also going Nov. 18 - 22nd, I woke up at 5:55am the other day to do my 180 day ADRS and got NOTHING. I called at 7am and was informed by the CM that that week is a promotion for free dining if you stay at certain hotels and that likely those people did their 180 + and took everything. She said things will open up to keep trying back.

Also Very Merry Christmas Parade is starting that week too, which I had read on touringplans.com that the parks have lower crowds but I just don't get it honestly.

I finally got CRT on the 22nd but for 4 (tried for 5 and 6) so my mom will not be able to join us and will stay at the hotel that day.
ownedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
BigDisneyLove
Earning My Ears

I called about our reservation at BOG for the evening of Nov 16. We were booked for 4 ppl but my mom has since decided to join us on our trip so we will now need a res for 5 ppl. The CM I spoke with said Sunday afternoon is the best time to call in for modifying reservations. She also said that if it all comes down to it and we are unable to change the res in advance from 4 ppl to 5 ppl either online or by phone, we should just show up early at the restaurant and inform the CM of the issue. She told me they wont refuse 1 person, especially if the rest of the reservations show for 5 ppl. I was almost in tears thinking my mom wouldnt be able to join us, but the Cm was super sweet and assured me that mom would NOT be left out of the dining experience. Our res time may have to change a little, (earlier or later) but we'll all get in. Together. Hope that helps.
BigDisneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
CaliTex
Will work for (Disney) food!

Whew!

I am so glad I saw this thread. We usually go to Disney in December, but switched to November 17-23 this time. I was kinda worried about crowd levels when I had such a tough time making ADRs at 177 days.

Glad to hear crowd levels are low. We were able to get most things we wanted, with the exception of BOG. I will try again at the 45 day mark!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

What a difference a week makes. I woke up this morning at 4:30 to make our adrs for the week following your trip. (11-24--11-30) and I got everything I wanted and the times I also wanted. I was praying I wouldn't have any issues on the computer this morning and I didn't. I'm totally shocked that I could get what I wanted the week of Thanksgiving. Is it November yet???
Old 05-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
Polish Hammer
Mouseketeer

We are going 11/20-11/27 and had no problems booking anything on our 180 day. Even multiple Be Our Guest slots were showing two days later for the tail end of our trip. I wanted to get one for our arrival day of the 20th, but knew they would be very hard to find considering those arriving days before us would snatch them all up, so I concentrated the harder ADRs for the end of our stay.
Polish Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: