Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
iteachlit
DIS Veteran

Iger: Expanded Star Wars Presence Coming to Parks

No specifics, other than Iger seeing Star Wars as a response to Harry Potter.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/08/05/di...rks-star-wars/

Aug. 2014: Beach Club Villas June 2014: Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Nov. 2013: Animal Kingdom Villas: Kidani Village (MINECON!) Sep. 2013 Treehouse Villas Aug. 2011: Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village Jul. 2010: Animal Kingdom Villas, Jambo House Nov. 2009: Beach Club Villas Aug. 2009: Saratoga Springs Resort Jun. 2008: Hilton Head Island Resort (First DVC Trip) Jul. 2007: Wilderness Lodge (10th Anniversary w/o Kids!) Jun. 2006: All Star Movies Jul. 1997: Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon) May 1995: Dixie Landings (POR) Apr. 1993: Caribbean Beach Jun. 1991: Grand Floridian Concierge 1990: Offsite 1986: Offsite
iteachlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iteachlit View Post
No specifics, other than Iger seeing Star Wars as a response to Harry Potter. http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/08/05/di...rks-star-wars/
Iger has said since they have bought Star Wars that it would come to the parks that is nothing new just waiting for something to happen.

rteetz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

I don't know much about the rep of this site, but they certainly make it sound like a separate park. I don't see them devoting an entire 5th gate to Star Wars, but if it's meant to rival Harry Potter, who knows.

http://laist.com/2014/08/05/disney_i...a_star_war.php

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Silock
DIS Veteran

They don't need a 5th gate. They already have one-quarter of a gate they need to re-do with DHS.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
pork
Earning My Ears

As much as I'd like a 5th gate I just can't see it. Id be shocked if Star Wars wasn't a hollywood studios addition.
pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

I just heard this on the news with Robin Meade. No details, the caption was Disney World tpo bring Star Wars to the parks.

think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
Odelay
Mouseketeer

It boggles the mind to imagine how badly Disney is going to end up botching this.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
rag10576
Earning My Ears

Since Disney is taking its time, I'm confident it will be a success.
rag10576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Suger Mag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
It boggles the mind to imagine how badly Disney is going to end up botching this.
Why? I doubt a Star Wars expansion will ever occur quick enough for the jaded DIS fans, but I think Disney has been and will be uber conservative with Star Wars... not rushing to put something out, but when they do it will be amazing and highest quality. Disney's attention to theming details is legendary, and there is so much raw material to work with... I cannot imagine that they would boggle this golden egg... or even if it is 'botchable'.
Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Cruise July 2013* Spring Break on the Wonder March 2014

Canada * England * Belgium * Netherlands * France * Denmark * Sweden * Norway * Austria * Hungary * Yugoslavia * Spain * Morocco * Egypt * Mexico * Germany * Caribbean
Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Aaeolien
Mouseketeer

I am hopeful that what they do put out is amazing. They have pretty lofty standards to live up to when it comes to Star Wars. It needs to go above and beyond what universal did with Harry Potter. Star Wars fandom is huge and stuff needs to be amazing or it will be a huge disappointment.

Past trip: 1st trip ever - Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Next trip: 4th of July, 2013 - Saratoga Springs

Future Trips: Feb 2014 - Coronado Springs or Beach Club
Aaeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
apainterxx44
Mouseketeer

Its always funny to see people who think Disney would ruin anything. Sorry they're touching Star Wars at that makes certain people nervous but we all know Disney doesn't take their park expansions lightly. They saw Harry Potter and this was their answer. Disney will throw so much money at this, research it endlessly and ill bet anything the people they have working on it will all be people who are associated with the star wars franchise. I cant wait to see what they can do, we all know no expense will be too high.

Me 23 DBF Roy 27

apainterxx44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
MassJester

Have camera -- will travel

I think this has the potential to be quite nice, and presents a real opportunity to add substance to DHS. Sounds like very good news.

A lot of visits to different resorts since 1983 DVC Member - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
armed and dangerous with a Canon 5D Mark II -- my photo gallery at: http://massjester.zenfolio.com/
MassJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
Since Disney is taking its time, I'm confident it will be a success.
Why?

The only way I see them screwing this is up is by barely doing anything, or going overboard and creating a 5th park.

DHS needs Star Wars badly, don't be surprised if DHS passes Epcot in attendance if Star Wars is done at there.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

Hopefully they won't make the same mistake as Avatar and announce it 7 years before opening, they need to get it open within 2 years of announcement.

DHS really needs some work done to it quickly and hopefully this will help. at Universal Florida about the only thing left from opening day is ET, at DHS there is still too much limping (since the park was downgraded from a full working studio) on that needs replacing.

I don't see it being a big enough thing to knock Harry Potter off the top spot but if done right and quickly it should keep admissions at DHS growing. Right now I think if it wasn't for the multiday tickets some guests just wouldn't bother with that park.
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon18uk View Post
Hopefully they won't make the same mistake as Avatar and announce it 7 years before opening, they need to get it open within 2 years of announcement.

DHS really needs some work done to it quickly and hopefully this will help. at Universal Florida about the only thing left from opening day is ET, at DHS there is still too much limping (since the park was downgraded from a full working studio) on that needs replacing.

I don't see it being a big enough thing to knock Harry Potter off the top spot but if done right and quickly it should keep admissions at DHS growing. Right now I think if it wasn't for the multiday tickets some guests just wouldn't bother with that park.
If it is going to be done right, it will not be done that quickly.

In addition, Star Wars is also likely going to have a presence in Disneyland as well so there is likely to be some lag between capital project expenditures because of the hopeful price tags for these.

That said, DHS desperately needs a real draw, not a temporary thrown together draw... Something substantial that will make them want me to spend a day at DHS and not go to UOR.

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: