Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #31
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

Still living your TR! Amazing!!!

Thank you so much for your TR! I've been following along. Before Wonder went thru the Panama Canal, my DH was telling me specifically how the locks work. So fascinating! Love the character pics! I wonder when construction will really be finished! Photos to do PC someday!

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #32
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Thanks for sharing your nice TR and photos. We've been considering a PC cruise so this helps!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Love your TR and photos.....dreaming of taking this cruise in the future. I told DH that once the youngest is off to college in 4 years, I want to do two things together (sans the boys), first F&W at Epcot and stay in the new GF villas and 2nd or maybe now first, take the WBPC cruise.

Thank you so much for sharing....
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #34
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears

Day 10, 11, 12 & 13 - Sea Days 4, 5, 6 & 7

Four Days at Sea! At first I was a little leery of four full days at sea (really 5 when you consider that Cartegena was the last real port of call) but this turned out to be a very relaxing part of our voyage and we quite enjoyed some time to relax, unwind and enjoy the fresh Pacific air where the weather was 80F and noticeably less humid than the Gulf of Mexico - out of our 15 day trip, we had a half a day of rain - the afternoon of Day 10 (our fourth sea day) where heavy rain started just after lunch and continued into the early evening.

Each day we spent a lot of time on Deck 9 and 10 enjoying the sun, spending time in the family pool (in fact we found that the family pool/jacuzzi was less crowded than the adult pool - the water was definitely cleaner as the family pool had to be 'serviced' at least four times during our trip - I don't think the adult pool/jacuzzi had changed the water and it was a little greasy by Day 14).

When were were not up on Deck 9/10, we would spend time on Deck 4 to look for sea life while travelling up the coast between Panama and Mexico - each day we could see shore in the distance - dolphins, seals and sea turtles could be viewed pretty frequently - occasionally an announcement would be made when a large pod of dolphins were close by - on Day 13 a whale was sighted but too far away to get a good picture.

Day 10 - Evening entertainment was "Toy Story - The Musical" - the sets, costuming and cast performance were all very good, but as most of previously stated - the story needs to be updated.

Day 11 - We arranged for a Galley Tour through the Shore Excursions Desk and thoroughly enjoyed a tour of the Triton/Parrot Cay kitchens where the kitchen Chef and Pastry Chef provided a great run down of the vast quantities of provisions loaded onto the ship in Miami - over 1,000 kgs of sugar and 2,000 kgs of flour were consumed - more than 450 gallons of ice cream at the Deck 9 soft ice cream station alone. Over 4,000 chocolate chip cookies are baked each day.

The evening entertainment was another WBPC treat - Gavin Lee, an English born actor who was the Bert on the Broadway production of Mary Poppins since 2004. The show was excellent with plenty of singing and tap dancing enjoyable to families and adults alike.

Day 12 - We had reservations for Palo Brunch and learned that we preferred the variety and quality of the Brunch Menu over the Dinner Menu. Plus we had the rest of the day to walk off the vast quantities of food consumed compared to eating a huge meal at 8:30 pm.

The evening show was Rebecca and Donovan - a musical acrobatic act that was more suited to the adult crowd - they have featured on Britain and America's Got Talent.

The Pirates of the Caribbean Deck Party was held at 9:45 and went off without a hitch.

Day 13 - a special treat for Pixar fans was held in the Deck 3 Atrium - Pixar Pals. This event was not announced in advance until Day 13. Characters from Toy Story, the Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille and Monsters Inc. put on a great, high energy show.

The evening entertainment was a DCL Cast show "Let's Go To the Movies" produced by the entertainment cast aboard the Wonder with singing and dancing to broadway and hollywood hits such as Singing in the Rain, Les Miserables, etc. Each act was excellent and really demonstrated the talents of the Wonder cast.

There were lots of opportunities to get great sunset shots although we were travelling at a course of 280 to 300 degrees where the sunset was mostly fore then port.

ShakeyShakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #35
GoCruiseDaddy
"Live to Cruise - Cruise to Live"

"thank you"

You've done a fantastic job of sharing your cruise. My wife and I are thinking about the same trip in 2015. Your postings got us more excited to get ours booked. We did the Wonder, Maxican Riveria in April of 2012 for our 30th Anniversary and we are hooked on Disney Cruises as our first choice.

Thanks again for taking the time and doing such a fantastic job on this trip report One question though...our cruise was in a Veranda cabin, fantastic view and coffee every morning on the Veranda. Planning on booking a IGT for the 2015 WBPC, I saw your cabin was on level 2 mis ship. How was it?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #36
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears

We were quite comfortable with our Deck 2 cabin - on our last 9 day cruise we did not spend a lot of time in the cabin and the weather was great on this cruise, so we were quite happy with it - the additional cost for 15 days was also a consideration.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #37
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears

Day 14 - Puerto Vallarta

After four wonderful days at sea, we were looking forward to getting on land for a few hours. We did not arrange a shore excursion but had heard that the port is very tourist friendly with a quick taxi ride to Malecon Boardwalk. The crew had been telling us that they were also anxiously awaiting a visit to Puerto Vallarta as there was a Walmart and Sam's Club directly across the street from the cruise port.

We arrived at the cruise port by 7:00 am and we took our time and had a light breakfast aboard the Wonder. The weather was hot (95F and very sunny) with a nice breeze to keep things dry. The port was very immaculate with great views of the mountains and nearby resorts.

After leaving the ship and proceeding through port security, we walked to a parking lot within the confines of the cruise port where a number of taxis and vans were standing by. We hoped aboard a full-size van along with a few other couples - for $7 each we were taken to the north end of the boardwalk/beach. We walked along the boardwalk checking out local eateries, jewelry shops and craft stores. Throughout our four hour stroll from end to end, we did not feel any pressure from the local vendors - it was very clean, relaxing and peaceful.

There were plenty of restaurant options along the boardwalk - Bubba Gumps, Hard Rock Cafe, Starbucks plus a lot of unique restaurants and bars. We opted to return to the ship and have a late afternoon snack.

After taking a quick taxi ride back to the port (again $7 each), we headed over to Walmart and Sam's Club to get some treats for the crew members. Although the selection was definitely more Spanish, there were plenty brands familiar to US/Canadian shoppers.

All aboard was set for 4:00 and we were aboard the Wonder by 3:30.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #38
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

What a fun update! Beautiful pictures! How convenient and nice of you to get items for the crew. By the way, what did you get for them?

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #39
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears

We hit the Sam's Club for some 2 lb. bags of candy (M&Ms, mini-chocolate bars, etc.)...
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #40
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears

Day 15 - Cabo San Lucas

Our last port day was by far the best port experiene of our cruise - we arrived in port just before sunrise to find the Wonder in a beautiful harbour surrounded by blue water and a fantastic view of the rocks forming the tip of the Baja Peninsula. The port requires tendering from the Wonder to the marina/port.

We had arranged for the Land's End Coastal Cruise and Beach Break - the fee was $75 per adult. Our designated meeting time was 8:30 am and we met in WaveBands to receive our tender boarding information - this portion was a little disorganized as we didn't leave the Wonder until 9:15 am. Each guest had to sign a waiver before leaving WaveBands.

Once aboard the tender, we headed into the Marina where we boarded a double-decker catarmaran, we were able to get a seat on the bow of the lower deck which provided a great vantage point during our coastal cruise. The cruise lasted for about 45 minutes and took us to the tip of peninsula with a beautiful view of the towering rock formations and "Los Arcos".

We returned to the marina where we boarded an air-conditioned coach for short drive through the town of Cabo San Lucas. The guide on our bus probably talked for 20 seconds of the 10 minute trip.

We arrived at the Medano beach club where we had about 3 hours to enjoy the beach and had free access to beach lounger/umbrellas. We were provided with a free lunch and a welcome drink. Jet Skis were available for rent from a nearby vendor. The beach was fairly private and you were able to walk along the beach from resort to resort if you wished.

We returned to the Wonder at 2:45 as all aboard was set for 3:30. We could have walked around in the port area but were ready to head back to the ship. The weather was excellent for our last port adventure - a high of 82F, clear and dry with a light breeze.

The evening entertainment was a crew talent show where crew members from housekeeping, guest relations, galley and youth activities counsellors put on a great show in the Walt Disney Theatre.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #41
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Great trip report! Now I'm excited and May can't get here fast enough! Thank you for sharing!!
DLR-(offsite, DLH, DGC). Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL, CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, POP, BCV, AoA Lion King Suite), VWL).Disney's Vero Beach Disney's AulaniDisney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston): Disney Fantasy 10/15 (Eastern Caribbean). DVC Owner - OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #42
KathleenlovesMickey
Mouseketeer

Thank you for a great trip report! I can't wait for our turn next May. i was surprised at how clean the Mexican ports looked.
Cruise the Magic Oct 11 2014
B2B cruise from San Juan to Port Canaveral Oct 2014
Cruise on Fantasy March 1 2014
Became Premier Pass owners Oct 2013
WDW October 2013
WDW May 2013
Disney Cruise 4/12/08
WDW 4/19-28/08
Disneyland to many times to count
KathleenlovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #43
Evil Queen 2
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great pictures and trip report. We are doing the east bound in September and are counting down the days.

A couple of questions about Cartagena -

Did you see anything listed about the post office? I have a friend that collects postcards and always try to send one from different ports.

And was there a Shopping Guide like for the other ports? We weren't planning on a full excurison but like to get off to wander around on our own.

Thanks much!
Evil Queen 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #44
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears

Sorry, I don't recall anything about a Post Office - we did see a mailbox just outside the port when we on our tour bus.

Yes, a shopping guide was available at the excursions desk.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #45
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Thank you ShakeyShakey for your most excellent trip report, along with great narrative and pictures!

If you don't mind, I want to post a link to a thread I frequent to give them an idea of what this cruise was like.
Oh yes, forgot to say that we were on this cruise with you! It was the best cruise ever for us!
"As with any cult, once the mythology of the cult begins falling apart, instead of saying, oh, we were wrong, they get more and more fanatical. I think thatís whatís happening here. Think about it, youíve led an unpleasant life, you havenít led a very virtuous life, but now youíre told, you get absolution if you watch your carbon footprint. Itís salvation!Ē
~MIT Professor emeritus Richard Lindzen
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: