Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #751
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Ycfan so glad you are going to the meet-it will work wonders for your heart and soul to be among friends

Just bought a ticket for tomorrow nights lottery (top prize 85 million pounds)-if I win we shall all go to the meet lol. Keep those fingers and toes crossed :0
Buzzy and I will keep our eyes crossed for you... and Buzzy has a LOT of EYES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Stop, stop it hurts!!!

Not sure if we'll make it or not. We need to have DS back at college in Melbourne the weekend before the meet and we already have another quick YC stay planned in October to meet up with some friends coming down from PA.

Maybe I can convince my DW that we need a "Minnie"-vacation.
LOL!! Heck yeah! Just a night or two... it doesn't have to be at the resort (you can pop into the Solarium for the meet) if the budget is a concern but when I was planning out my Magical Vacation I figured out that my Travel costs for staying at a deluxe (room only) were the same as full price for a moderate room only.

My husband was rolling his eye balls and saying Disney AGAIN but when I explained that 6 nights at the resort for the room was only costing us $1188.00 he figured that that was cheaper than trying to rent a beach house somewhere during the $ummer $eason. I used frequent flyer miles and we only had to purchase 1 park ticket so that helped the budget too.

Going to Universal one day to see Harry is going to be our budget buster but the family has been wanting to see that forever and now seems to be the time.

I also told dear hubby that this would be more of a resort focused stay, enjoying the Beach Club resort and all it's amenities as opposed to schlumping through the parks in the high heat. The kids are old enough now that they don't want us dragging them along. They are excited about going off and doing their own thing so it will be like a kid free trip for Hubby and I.

That fact that I get to meet and hang out with some of the people who frequent this thread is a plus!

I have visions of leisurely breakfasts in France or at the resort, lots of Pool time and going out at night in the cooler weather to explore the parks since they are open late. I also know that after the fire works, people with younger kids leave and the ride lines empty out.

I am SO LOOKING forward to this trip!

~NM
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #752
Nicnic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebec View Post
our first stay at BC is Aug 12-19. Stormalong Bay looks awesome, but can it be hard to keep track of kiddos in it? I have 3 kids, ages 11, 9 and 6. The 11 year old is a strong swimmer, the other 2 not so much. My DH is not a fan of water, but will help me out. What is the best way to do this? Everyone stay together and move to different areas as a group? Do you think its safe to send an 11 year old on the slide by himself? Is there a swimming area near the slide exit where we can hang out and try to keep track of him? Any advice or info you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, we stayed here last October with our just turned 2 & 10 year olds.
10yo can swim very well and we started the vacation with DH walking over to the slide, going down first and being there when DD came out, me and little DD tried the small pool at the entrance to the slide as it had a little slide but it was too strong for a 2yo so i just stayed over in the sand area with her.
After a few days, DD10 was ok doing the slide on her own, walking over on her own but we stayed in the pool where the slide came out so she knew we were there, we just swam round the whirlpool with DD2!
She didnt spend alot of time on the slide as it hurt her back, she really loved the daily entertainment at the pool which was alot easier for us all to stay together.
Hope this helps.
Nicnic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #753
helenb
Wishing for the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Going to Universal one day to see Harry is going to be our budget buster but the family has been wanting to see that forever and now seems to be the time.
If you are going to do this, I would recommend resort-hopping and spending 1-2 nights at Universal. The deluxe hotels there are similar in price to BC/YC, and just as nice in terms of overall theming/luxury. They are just as close to the parks and Citywalk as BC/YC are to Epcot/DHS/Boardwalk. Just like at Disney, you can get decent AAA discounts. Obviously the pool areas don't compare to SAB, but the hotel pools are nicer than the Boardwalk pool area. If you stay onsite, you have Universal Express pass, which is like unlimited FP for almost all of the rides in both parks, all the time. It is so wonderful, you will be amazed!

The Harry Potter area of IOA is always packed, and will be even more so as Diagon Alley opens this summer. You will definitely want to see these areas over 2-3 days. Take advantage of onsite early entry and get into the Harry Potter areas before the massive crowds. Then take advantage of late morning/afternoons to see the other areas of the parks (or return to your hotel for a swim) before going back at night when the parks start to empty out. The HP areas are gorgeous at night and take on an entirely different character. You don't want to miss that!

For passes, take a look at the Universal section of this board. There is a good 'ticket discounts' thread.

So in short, I would recommend tacking on a couple of Universal days at the start or end of your WDW stay. This will help with cost and logistics, and help you get the most out of Universal! We do this every trip, including in a couple of weeks when we come to Orlando! We'll be spending June 21-23 at Universal, then transferring over to YC on the afternoon of June 23.
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #754
DIS3Dad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
our first stay at BC is Aug 12-19. Stormalong Bay looks awesome, but can it be hard to keep track of kiddos in it? I have 3 kids, ages 11, 9 and 6. The 11 year old is a strong swimmer, the other 2 not so much. My DH is not a fan of water, but will help me out. What is the best way to do this? Everyone stay together and move to different areas as a group? Do you think its safe to send an 11 year old on the slide by himself? Is there a swimming area near the slide exit where we can hang out and try to keep track of him? Any advice or info you could share would be greatly appreciated!
Last year we let our oldest, who was 10 at the time, go down the slide while we played in the kiddie pool with our 8 and 3 year old. She was fine doing the slide by herself.
DIS3Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #755
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenb View Post
If you are going to do this, I would recommend resort-hopping and spending 1-2 nights at Universal. The deluxe hotels there are similar in price to BC/YC, and just as nice in terms of overall theming/luxury. They are just as close to the parks and Citywalk as BC/YC are to Epcot/DHS/Boardwalk. Just like at Disney, you can get decent AAA discounts. Obviously the pool areas don't compare to SAB, but the hotel pools are nicer than the Boardwalk pool area. If you stay onsite, you have Universal Express pass, which is like unlimited FP for almost all of the rides in both parks, all the time. It is so wonderful, you will be amazed!

The Harry Potter area of IOA is always packed, and will be even more so as Diagon Alley opens this summer. You will definitely want to see these areas over 2-3 days. Take advantage of onsite early entry and get into the Harry Potter areas before the massive crowds. Then take advantage of late morning/afternoons to see the other areas of the parks (or return to your hotel for a swim) before going back at night when the parks start to empty out. The HP areas are gorgeous at night and take on an entirely different character. You don't want to miss that!

For passes, take a look at the Universal section of this board. There is a good 'ticket discounts' thread.

So in short, I would recommend tacking on a couple of Universal days at the start or end of your WDW stay. This will help with cost and logistics, and help you get the most out of Universal! We do this every trip, including in a couple of weeks when we come to Orlando! We'll be spending June 21-23 at Universal, then transferring over to YC on the afternoon of June 23.
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that as I have not figured out the Universal part of this trip.

~NM
Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #756
DIS-OH
Mouseketeer

As much as I want to be at the meet on August 18th, I think I'll have to pass.

Our first day of school is the 19th and it would be frowned upon for the principal to be absent because she's at Walt Disney World!

But, I really, really wanted to meet y'all...especially Buzzy!

Trip #33...December 2014 at POFQ...Holiday decorations trip!

Trip #34...February 2015...our 6th Princess Half Marathon...doing the Glass Slipper challenge!

Stayed at CR, POFQ, POR, CBR, ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, WL, YC and BWV--with POFQ and YC as our current favorites!
DIS-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #757
BandontheRun
Mouseketeer

Would it make sense to request a full balcony for a BCV studio?
BandontheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #758
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
We make full balcony our only request in hopes that it increases the chances of getting one. Since both pools at the BC are located between the resort and the lake, I think your chances of a lake view are pretty good. We like to be nearer to the Epcot end of the BC rather then the SAB end. There are more exit doors at the Epcot end.
Thank you! We would prefer to be nearer to the Epcot end as well. Think that would be worth mentioning as a request? Would I just say "Epcot end" or something?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #759
BandontheRun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We will be there August 14-19th with DSs 11 and 8. IMO your kids will be fine getting to and coming down the slide alone but you will want to station yourself close to the exit of the slide for your own sanity and to make sure the kids know where to "check-in" with a thumbs up or something.
BandontheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #760
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

OMG!!! Thanks to Robyn, I checked with a certain agency to see if any discount offers were left and I saved $550 on my quickie return trip in August AND got my beloved YC instead of BC (not that I wouldn't have been perfectly satisfied with BC)!!!

Thanks Robyn!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #761
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Quote:
~NM
PS. Here is Nannette's complimentary Cow of the day picture:

What did I do to deserve a cow a day?!?!

~N

nannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #762
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette View Post
What did I do to deserve a cow a day?!?!

~N
You managed to get through another school year!

~NM
Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #763
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that as I have not figured out the Universal part of this trip.

~NM
And, check with that travel agent you booked WDW with, they have a great rate at the end of August for the Universal hotels. I am using that travel agency's rate to stay 4 nights at the Portofino, at a rate lower than my AP discounted rate, before we then transfer over to the YC. My kids are ride junkies. I close my eyes and people watch more than them there, but I really enjoy USO too.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #764
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Quote:
You managed to get through another school year!

~NM
Almost!

nannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #765
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandontheRun View Post
Would it make sense to request a full balcony for a BCV studio?
All of the BCV's have balconies. You don't have to request one. All of the studios and the living rooms have balconies. And some of the master bedrooms in the villa have them, too.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: