Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #496
natebenma
DIS Veteran
 
natebenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near Boston
Posts: 12,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcreatrix View Post
We stayed at Hard Rock for 4 nights in the past and loved it. DH is a musician and the kids loved the pool! However, we are considering Portofino or Royal Pacific for this stay. I'm leaning towards Portofino because Royal Pacific is our most likely choice when we take the kids in 2015 and DH loves Italian food, though we LOVE the HRH pool!

It will probably come down to best rate with Annual Passholder discount and a King sized room category, since I know we'll be going back within the year and DH and I would prefer a room with one king sized bed. Right now, that's looking like Royal Pacific, but I haven't 100% decided yet, so you could sway me to Portofino!
Not trying to sway, just inform. Here are my 3 Portofino posts from my "Welcome Foolish Muggles" trip report


All about the Portofino http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=50

Sal's Marketplace and Deli- this photo post does not appear in this trip report, but here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=28

Chillin' at the Pool- http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=439

.

Last edited by natebenma; 05-30-2014 at 05:14 PM.
natebenma is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #497
DLo
DIS Veteran
 
DLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,279

me again - just wanted to say thanks to those who recomended crews cup lounge. we ate there last night - quiet , cool and food was great as was the service .

i thought today was going to be a dtd morning but played mini golf instead - lunch on the boardwalk (salad at the bakery with grilled chicken , cranberries etc - yum). then epcot for our afternoon fastpasses . lightnining canceled our SAB plans. dinner at captains grill in a little while then back to epcot for evening emh .

we can see the high illuminations fire works from our balcony but i hope to catch the whole show inside tonight .
__________________
Me, DH, DS 19, DS 16, My DMom
several trips growing up - all offsite 1993 - off site with DH
Oct 2003 - Dolphin Oct 2004 - CBR Oct 2005 - AKL
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
DLo is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #498
coley444
Mouseketeer
 
coley444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 167

Could someone staying check and see if the refillable mug station has seltzer?

I had to go to the Rix Lounge bar at CSR my last trip every time I wanted seltzer. I imagine I would need to do the same at YC or BC. Where would I go in each resort?

We like to drink seltzer and going to a bar every time was pretty tedious.

I only saw water levers but not the highly coveted "soda" lever at CSR.

Wonder if deluxe resorts have more variety in that respect.
coley444 is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #499
webcreatrix
Mouseketeer
 
webcreatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Not trying to sway, just inform. Here are my 3 Portofino posts from my "Welcome Foolish Muggles" trip report


All about the Portofino http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=50

Sal's Marketplace and Deli- this photo post does not appear in this trip report, but here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=28

Chillin' at the Pool- http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=439

.
Thank you! I'll go read.
__________________



June 2012: A week at Wyndham BC
August 2011: 1 night Hilton BC, 4 nights Polynesian, 3 nights HRH
June 2010: 9 nights @ Windsor Hills
August 2009: ASMo - Two rooms, 3 kids, free dining
December 2000: ASMu - 4 parks, 4 days
1977: FL Resident, Bicentennial celebration
1972: FL Resident, 1st visit
webcreatrix is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #500
Best Aunt
"That's the best-est present ever!"
 
Best Aunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,963

my advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcreatrix View Post
We stayed at Hard Rock for 4 nights in the past and loved it. DH is a musician and the kids loved the pool! However, we are considering Portofino or Royal Pacific for this stay. I'm leaning towards Portofino because Royal Pacific is our most likely choice when we take the kids in 2015 and DH loves Italian food, though we LOVE the HRH pool!

It will probably come down to best rate with Annual Passholder discount and a King sized room category, since I know we'll be going back within the year and DH and I would prefer a room with one king sized bed. Right now, that's looking like Royal Pacific, but I haven't 100% decided yet, so you could sway me to Portofino!
I've stayed at all three in the past few years - HRH in November, RPR and PBH in July.

Getting from RPR and PBH to WWoHP-Hoggsmeade just about killed me. It was so hot... and so far to go... even taking the boat, it still felt far. This was early evening for events at WWoHP, not mid-day.

Getting from HRH to IOA or UO was a pleasure. Now admittedly, it was November so it was much cooler and less humid.

If your main reason for being there is to go to the theme parks, then I would definitely choose HRH.

If you plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, I know PBH has a great reputation, but I wasn't all that impressed. The beautiful part is that courtyard/shop/restaurant area near the water. If you're inside the hotel, you might see that part for 10 seconds a day when you glance out a window while walking by. I personally didn't think PBH was any nicer than RPR.

So my first choice would be HRH. My second choice would be whichever is cheaper (PBH or RPR). I haven't stayed at the new Cabana Bay yet, so I don't know how that would factor into my decision.
__________________


Best Aunt is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #501
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 5,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
me again - just wanted to say thanks to those who recomended crews cup lounge. we ate there last night - quiet , cool and food was great as was the service.
I'm so glad that you liked it. I think we'll try to eat there on our next trip, too.

__________________
~ Sue



Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 05-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Wood Nymph is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #502
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley444 View Post
Could someone staying check and see if the refillable mug station has seltzer?

I had to go to the Rix Lounge bar at CSR my last trip every time I wanted seltzer. I imagine I would need to do the same at YC or BC. Where would I go in each resort?

We like to drink seltzer and going to a bar every time was pretty tedious.

I only saw water levers but not the highly coveted "soda" lever at CSR.

Wonder if deluxe resorts have more variety in that respect.
Yes!! We stayed at YC last Aug and Hurricane Hanna's refill station had club soda. It was in one of those leavers they have like for water!! I was very happy!!
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #503
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
me again - just wanted to say thanks to those who recomended crews cup lounge. we ate there last night - quiet , cool and food was great as was the service .

i thought today was going to be a dtd morning but played mini golf instead - lunch on the boardwalk (salad at the bakery with grilled chicken , cranberries etc - yum). then epcot for our afternoon fastpasses . lightnining canceled our SAB plans. dinner at captains grill in a little while then back to epcot for evening emh .

we can see the high illuminations fire works from our balcony but i hope to catch the whole show inside tonight .
Love the burgers there!
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #504
coley444
Mouseketeer
 
coley444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Yes!! We stayed at YC last Aug and Hurricane Hanna's refill station had club soda. It was in one of those leavers they have like for water!! I was very happy!!
Thanks for confirming! YC BC sounding better by the minute!
coley444 is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #505
db57me
Mouseketeer
 
db57me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 333

I'm hoping someone on this thread will be able and willing to answer this question. How do we handle our MagicBands while going through the airport security scanners? Do we place them in the bin with phone and laptop? Do we wear them (doubtful)? Do we leave them in our carry-on bags?

21 days!
db57me is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #506
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley444 View Post
Thanks for confirming! YC BC sounding better by the minute!
Your welcome. The tab is easily overlooked if your not looking for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by db57me View Post
I'm hoping someone on this thread will be able and willing to answer this question. How do we handle our MagicBands while going through the airport security scanners? Do we place them in the bin with phone and laptop? Do we wear them (doubtful)? Do we leave them in our carry-on bags?

21 days!
I would keep them easily accessible in your carry on. You can put them in a zip lock Baggie and when you are on the plane or just before landing put them on.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #507
webcreatrix
Mouseketeer
 
webcreatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Aunt View Post
I've stayed at all three in the past few years - HRH in November, RPR and PBH in July.

Getting from RPR and PBH to WWoHP-Hoggsmeade just about killed me. It was so hot... and so far to go... even taking the boat, it still felt far. This was early evening for events at WWoHP, not mid-day.

Getting from HRH to IOA or UO was a pleasure. Now admittedly, it was November so it was much cooler and less humid.

If your main reason for being there is to go to the theme parks, then I would definitely choose HRH.

If you plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, I know PBH has a great reputation, but I wasn't all that impressed. The beautiful part is that courtyard/shop/restaurant area near the water. If you're inside the hotel, you might see that part for 10 seconds a day when you glance out a window while walking by. I personally didn't think PBH was any nicer than RPR.

So my first choice would be HRH. My second choice would be whichever is cheaper (PBH or RPR). I haven't stayed at the new Cabana Bay yet, so I don't know how that would factor into my decision.
Thanks for the advice. I kind of questioned myself on why we wouldn't stay at the HRH again, given how much we loved it. But then I thought maybe it would be nice to try something new. We will definitely be limited by time and that walk and boat from HRH was handy, especially in August!
__________________



June 2012: A week at Wyndham BC
August 2011: 1 night Hilton BC, 4 nights Polynesian, 3 nights HRH
June 2010: 9 nights @ Windsor Hills
August 2009: ASMo - Two rooms, 3 kids, free dining
December 2000: ASMu - 4 parks, 4 days
1977: FL Resident, Bicentennial celebration
1972: FL Resident, 1st visit
webcreatrix is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #508
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Not trying to sway, just inform. Here are my 3 Portofino posts from my "Welcome Foolish Muggles" trip report


All about the Portofino http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=50

Sal's Marketplace and Deli- this photo post does not appear in this trip report, but here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=28

Chillin' at the Pool- http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=439

.
Dee, we booked Portofino for our pre wdw trip this August. Hope we'll like it!
Good to know about having to leave by 7:00 for Harry Potter! Esp now that Diagon Alley will be open. Woohoo!
I heard Sals Pizza is very good.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #509
HParr
Earning My Ears
 
HParr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Not trying to sway, just inform. Here are my 3 Portofino posts from my "Welcome Foolish Muggles" trip report


All about the Portofino http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=50

Sal's Marketplace and Deli- this photo post does not appear in this trip report, but here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=28

Chillin' at the Pool- http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=439

.
Thanks! I LOVE your trip reports.
HParr is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #510
natebenma
DIS Veteran
 
natebenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near Boston
Posts: 12,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by HParr View Post
Thanks! I LOVE your trip reports.
Thank you so much!
natebenma is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: