Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
aprilgoo
Earning My Ears

Polynesian or Grand Floridian?

We are a family of three: hubby, myself, and a 13 year old. We stayed at the Contemporary for our honeymoon and want to try something different. We've booked the Polynesian, but now we're wondering if we should stay at the Grand Floridian (or maybe save the GF for a just us vacation?). We will be staying during Polynesian construction time and the Volcano Pool will be closed for the entirety of our stay. We are fairly booked solid with out of room things to do daily, so we won't be spending too, too much time in the hotel, though we would like it to be nice and it has to be on the monorail.

If all things were equal, and pretending there is no price difference, which would be the best?
aprilgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgoo View Post
We are a family of three: hubby, myself, and a 13 year old. We stayed at the Contemporary for our honeymoon and want to try something different. We've booked the Polynesian, but now we're wondering if we should stay at the Grand Floridian (or maybe save the GF for a just us vacation?). We will be staying during Polynesian construction time and the Volcano Pool will be closed for the entirety of our stay. We are fairly booked solid with out of room things to do daily, so we won't be spending too, too much time in the hotel, though we would like it to be nice and it has to be on the monorail.

If all things were equal, and pretending there is no price difference, which would be the best?
The Poly is our favorite resort, but the GF is also great, IMO. Both resorts are beautiful and if there was no construction at the Poly, that would be my first choice; however, the GF is a great alternative and would probably be a little more relaxing/peaceful than the Poly right now. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
aprilgoo
Earning My Ears

Thank you, mickeynut1! I think you're right. We were excited for the Poly, but it seems this may not be the best time to do it. Perhaps next time.

I did some searching through the forums after I posted this as well, and I love what I'm hearing about the GF. We changed our reservation today from the Poly to the GF. We were paying rack rate on the Poly rooms, which was a total bummer, but were able to get Lagoon View rooms at the GF with the late fall discount for just slightly less than we were going to end up paying at the Poly. We're not saving a ton, but it's nice to get an upgraded room and have no construction for almost the same price.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
JasonMouse
Earning My Ears

That's amazing Poly is so expensive even with the construction. I never stay there anymore due to the high price. Glad you got GF! That's one everyone always wishes they could stay at. I can never pull the trigger on GF when Beach Club is less (being I'm an EPCOT fan). It has a similar elegance to GF.
JasonMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

They are offering great prices on the Poly during construction. Less than $200 per night for our stay.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #6
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
They are offering great prices on the Poly during construction. Less than $200 per night for our stay.
That's really great -- I looked at booking online but I didn't get anywhere near that price -- did you go through Disney?

TIA

Tom
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgoo View Post
Thank you, mickeynut1! I think you're right. We were excited for the Poly, but it seems this may not be the best time to do it. Perhaps next time.

I did some searching through the forums after I posted this as well, and I love what I'm hearing about the GF. We changed our reservation today from the Poly to the GF. We were paying rack rate on the Poly rooms, which was a total bummer, but were able to get Lagoon View rooms at the GF with the late fall discount for just slightly less than we were going to end up paying at the Poly. We're not saving a ton, but it's nice to get an upgraded room and have no construction for almost the same price.
You're welcome .

Congrats on getting a good discount on the GF. It's a beautiful resort and is a great alternative (IMO) to the Poly. I hope you have a great trip and enjoy the GF .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #8
DaisyNY
DIS Veteran

Given the construction situation I would opt for GF...even with discounts at Poly!

March '14...WL, Disney Dream, BLT, October '13...GF,
December '12...WL, June '11...WL
Before...Many other magical trips including Poly, POR, and CBR... LUCKY US!!!
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #9
aprilgoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I didn't get anywhere near this price either. I think our average nightly rate was somewhere between $400 and $450. Where did you find those prices? I think if we could save half on the room that might change our mind. Though now I love the idea of getting into the GF. <3
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #10
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I used a travel agency. I will PM you the name.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #11
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMouse View Post
That's amazing Poly is so expensive even with the construction. I never stay there anymore due to the high price. Glad you got GF! That's one everyone always wishes they could stay at. I can never pull the trigger on GF when Beach Club is less (being I'm an EPCOT fan). It has a similar elegance to GF.
Nobody stays there any more. It's too crowded.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #12
JanieMc
Starting over with youngest kids!

Quote:
I used a travel agency. I will PM you the name.
I did too. We were originally going to stay at the Poly for those insane great rates--but the ongoing construction reports spooked me a little. The main thing was the big pool. So we switched with the same TA to discount for the Contemporary. It's still a great rate--one perk about originally booking the Poly was we were going to stay CL for the excellent rate, and Poly concierge booked my ADR's! They got us first seating CRT and BOG dinner (albeit 4:15 p.m.--but we don't mind a bit!). Only a few weeks after did we decide to make the switch. But I love the Poly for that... that CL person worked so hard to get those ressies. It's a longer story--but I love the TA we've been dealing with. I will use them again.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #13
clapton
Mouseketeer

Hands down GF, beautiful resort. You will love it ! Have a great trip!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #14
aprilgoo
Earning My Ears

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate all the responses. The more I accept that our plans had to change, the more I'm excited that they did. I figure if we're spending THIS MUCH MONEY to begin with, we might as well just go all out.
Old Today, 05:39 AM   #15
patty57
DIS Veteran

For the most part, I'm an Epcot resorts girl, but choosing between the Poly and GF during the construction? Hands down I would choose the GF. I think you will be very happy with your choice. Have a great time.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: