Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
mom2alexmegcoop
Earning My Ears

PO-Riverside or Pop Century, help me decide!

Planning our Disney vacation for May 27-30. Going to be a quick trip before spending a week at the beach trying to decide which resort we want to stay at. What are you experiences, pros and cons?
mom2alexmegcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
mzadell
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at POR/Dixie Landings several times and absolutely adore it. It's got some of the best theming and most relaxed atmosphere of any of the resorts I've visited, particularly in its price range. That being said, it's a decent price jump from a value resort, especially if you're just in it for a place to sleep.

If you're not planning on doing a lot of things around the resort, I'd recommend Pop over POR. You'll get more dedicated buses (POR and POFQ share, meaning you might not always fit on the first bus that arrives), [potentially] shorter walks to/from the main areas of the resort and your room, and something a little more interesting for the little ones (if there are any in your party, that is.)
2005 - Off-Site
2006 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Port Orleans Riverside (Magnolia Bend)
2013 - Off-Site
2014 - Port Orleans Riverside (Alligator Bayou)
2015 - Art of Animation (Little Mermaid)

mzadell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

I would pick POP if it was a time when crowds were a little lower. We stayed at POP last May but the dates were May 10-16. I think your stay will be when crowds start to grow.

We have stayed a POR many times and it seems to feel not-so-crowded during buiser times.

We always have a car and only use the buses occasionally. The bus stops at POP are not covered but have waiting areas roped off to keep folks in line. POR has covered bus stops but its not always clear who arrived first when it is crowded.

POP is less expensive and has a nice path for running around the lake between POP and AoA. POR's walkways are okay for running but not quite as nice.

POR has several other advantages:
"quiet" pools
ceiling fans in the rooms
better food court
a sit-down restaurant
queen size beds in rooms with 2 beds vs smaller, double-beds at POP
boat to Downtown Disney
I think more recreational activities but not up on what's offered
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
jprieur
Earning My Ears

POP for me all the way.

I prefer the food court at the values - to me its easier and more convenient for a quick meal/snack. Prefer the bus service at POP as well, I don't like multiple bus stop resorts and I also like the fact that if you miss a POP bus at a theme park just switch 1 over to the AOA bus.

POR themeing is def more 'romantic', but I prefer the POP theming while I am at Disney, its just more fun. I leave the slow pace relaxing romantic resorts for other vacations where I place a higher value on service and resort atmosphere. because I spend more time in the room. At disney, room time is relegated to sleeping and showering.

As far as the rooms, I just don't fine much of a diff between value and moderate, but we are always a party of 2, so we don't miss those 2 extra feet of room width.
jprieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I've always stayed at Pop as we love it, the proximity to AoA (their food court and a second option for buses) although deep down I'd like to try POR too.

One thing to consider is that POP has double beds and some (possibly all by now) beds at POR are queens. This is important to some.

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Cheshirecat616
Earning My Ears

I've stayed at por in May. Stayed in the alligator bayou. Pros: Over all it's a nice quiet resort. Everyone is very nice and no hustle and bustle and no crazy loud people. The rooms were clean, beds comfy, and great service. There's bus stops everywhere. No matter what room you're in you're never to far from a bus stop. The pools were quiet and nice. Food court was never too full. Offered a variety of things. They even deliver pizza to your room. The activities on the property are nice. Cons: it's a very heavy wooded area, in Florida heat and all that "swamp" water everywhere you will be sticky from the moment you leave your room. It is hot and humid. I was scared to death by a bunny one night zipping in the darkness. Snakes and critters. I wouldnt go to far off the pavement walkway. Just sayin.
Cheshirecat616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
shaneray
Earning My Ears

for only 3 days at disney followed by time to relax at the beach later....I would do a full on in your face daylight to dark park oriented POP stay...you can rest later.
shaneray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

I have enjoyed both resorts but usually don't spend enough time at the resort to justify the extra expense of a mod. If you think you will use the boat to DTD, enjoy the themed pool or just simply prefer the theme of POR then I would say to choose that. If you really just want a place to lay your head at night then I would choose POP and save some money.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
MickeyFan19
Earning My Ears

I'm in your same shoes. We are looking to go 5/24 to 28 and I'm torn between AoA and POR. We went in the fall of 2013 to POR and loved it but like it has been pointed out, for a place to sleep and spend minimal time in, is it really worth it to spend the extra money? Right now, I'm leaning to A0A unless some deal comes out.
MickeyFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Madani
Earning My Ears

We stayed at POR last year - myself, DH and DD3 - in the Alligator Bayou section. I chose this resort because I knew we would have "resort time" because of DD3 and the nap schedule, and DH wanted "something nice." I loved it, he didn't. He crabbed all the time about the 25 minute round trip walk just to fill a mug, and the fact that the bus stops at EVERY stop at the resort and makes the trip seem longer then necessary. I appreciated the theming and didn't mind the walk to the main building - it felt peaceful and uncrowded, and I even got up early in the morning just to walk around and look at it all, including walking to POFQ for the beignets. DD3 had a wonderful time in the pools.

This year I'm going solo and staying at POP. I couldn't justify the additional expense for just myself for a moderate when I know I will be out from rope drop to close.
Madani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Just got back from a split between these two.
1. Queen vs full
2. Single vs double sink
3. More storage room in sink area at POR
4. No coffee machine at POP
5. Did hear neighbors flushing at both. Pop was louder AND heard showerin
6. Pop did not feel too motel like, theming cute for kids.

My only complaint about pop is that the lobby, food and outside areas near that and pool had for me a crazy, mall like feeling. Couldnt handle too much time there. Like being at the mall at xmas.

POR on the otherhand, more upscale, quier relaxes feeling.
We would do P oP again. But get more excited about POR
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #12
stemikger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2alexmegcoop View Post
Planning our Disney vacation for May 27-30. Going to be a quick trip before spending a week at the beach trying to decide which resort we want to stay at. What are you experiences, pros and cons?
Pop Century all the way! I love this place, it's like the magic never ends. When I first arrive and walk into that lobby, I feel like I'm in heaven. While I love everything Disney and all the resorts, the moderates I have stayed at were beautiful but did not have that special something that Pop has.
stemikger is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: