Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Legomom
Earning My Ears

First Cruise - Food Question

Hi All...

we are taking our first cruise in a mere 74 days!!!

It will be a 4 night cruise on the Dream for me, my husband and 2 sons.. ages 17 and 11...

my 11 year old is a picky eater.. and not an ordinary picky eater.. like to the point of OCD.. he eats approximately 12 to 15 foods... and if something he normally eats doesn't look right, feel right or smell right today.. then today he won't eat it... he is beyond frustrating... we have seen dozen of doctors, therapists and the like... but I digress.... there is no fixing him in 74 days....

so my question is.. do I tell Disney all this... do I tell every server this? Do I bring a list of his foods? he eats... chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, French fries, garlic bread, tater tots...

Also can I bring on board boxes of pop tarts.. since it is his only breakfast food right now... (brown sugar cinnamon)

My 17 year old will eat anything and everything.. soooo you cant win them all...

I hear Disney is incredibly accommodating but I'm really worried... we never have issues in WDW or DL because of course you can find pizza anywhere... even for breakfast!

TIA for any help!!!
Legomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legomom View Post
Hi All...

It will be a 4 night cruise on the Dream for me, my husband and 2 sons.. ages 17 and 11...

my 11 year old is a picky eater.. and not an ordinary picky eater.. like to the point of OCD.. he eats approximately 12 to 15 foods... and if something he normally eats doesn't look right, feel right or smell right today.. then today he won't eat it... he is beyond frustrating... we have seen dozen of doctors, therapists and the like... but I digress.... there is no fixing him in 74 days....

so my question is.. do I tell Disney all this... do I tell every server this? Do I bring a list of his foods? he eats... chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, French fries, garlic bread, tater tots...

Also can I bring on board boxes of pop tarts.. since it is his only breakfast food right now... (brown sugar cinnamon)

My 17 year old will eat anything and everything.. soooo you cant win them all...

I hear Disney is incredibly accommodating but I'm really worried... we never have issues in WDW or DL because of course you can find pizza anywhere... even for breakfast!

TIA for any help!!!
They are very accommodating and they know young kids, do not worry there will be something to eat and if your food looks nice expand what they eat.

On our first DCL cruises my son was very very fussy, but they found something off menu for him, then looking at what we were eating he has expanded what he has as it looked so nice.

There is always the snacks and fast food outlets on the pool deck and room service.

Before you accept any response or answer 'verify' information, -when did someone "actually do it"

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 15 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

they'll bring him a pizza if he wants, or you can eat at cabanas or the quick serve pizza place on deck.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legomom View Post
Hi All...

TIA for any help!!!
They have a kids menu that has the chicken nuggets, french fries and pizza for the dinner menu. Also, there is pizza and chicken tenders at the quick service. You will not needs to tell the wait staff anything ahead of time. Just ask for a kids menu and he should be able to find something. It might be interesting with the other 3 of you ordering other options, he might go out on a limb and try something else.

Also, you can bring unopened pop tarts on board.

don't sweat it!

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
setumbo
Earning My Ears

No need to worry for picky eater

No issue at all. They are extremely accomodating and they have a kids menu in the MDR.
setumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
iamadisneynut
Mouseketeer

Our DS is a very picky eater as well, much as you described your child. He often won't eat food that isn't from home and is really fussy about texture, find touching etc. (he does have some issues that explain this) anyways, we have been on two cruises and the staff have been wonderful accommodating him. They have found raspberries at dinner when that was all DS wanted. They really are wonderful.

iamadisneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
kimchey12
Earning My Ears

They also have chicken tenders and fries also cheese pizza on the room service menu which you can order 24hrs a day.
kimchey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

My suggestion: Take him to the buffet to look around. He might find something interesting. I know I don't like to eat unfamiliar foods; but if I can see it and it looks interesting, I might try it. It can't hurt.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

I brought pop tarts for my picky dd! She will not eat breakfast out anywhere. She ate her pop tart in the room and ended up trying quite a few things at the buffet - like fruit.

We drove down from NJ to Port Canaveral so I made sure to have her pop tarts for the over nighter hotel as well. Better to have a happy child on vacation than a grumpy hungry one!

Also at dinner she did love the chicken fingers and Mac n cheese (she said it was one of the best!). For lunch she loved the pizza.

I know how you feel. My other daughter eats anything!! Never a worry with her.
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
GC&S
DIS Veteran

I was very impressed how well they accommodate kids. My dd is a somewhat picky eater and our server was so good with her. When he saw how much she loved croissants at breakfast, they somehow appeared at dinner for her. I think you will find they will try to make him as happy as possible.
GC&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Legomom
Earning My Ears

thank you all for responding! I feel so much better...

I asked this on another website and someone actually told me not to feed my kid pop tarts because they were poison!

well... ok... but be that as it may... its all he eats right now.... for breakfast at least... and as a straight A student who is really polite and personable... ill take this flaw over so many others...

I feel much better now!!!

Legomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Lots of kids are picky eaters. I hate when other parents judge what you're feeding your kids. They don't understand. It's not like if you refuse to feed them what they want they'll suddenly "change their minds" and eat broccoli. They just won't eat!

In our experience they will bring your kids whatever they like to eat. My 11 year old is picky too. Not as picky as she used to be but definitely more into the "kid fare" food.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Shuherk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarker View Post
My suggestion: Take him to the buffet to look around. He might find something interesting. I know I don't like to eat unfamiliar foods; but if I can see it and it looks interesting, I might try it. It can't hurt.
i agree, my 8 year old son is picky and Pop Tarts is usually all he eats for breakfast, but we knew he would eat other things if hungry enough. Walked around Cabanas first morning, he found Fruit Loops. By the 3rd day he was eating dried cranberries and a few other things in AM.

Decided this was a great time to try some new things and it turned out well.
Shuherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuherk View Post
i agree, my 8 year old son is picky and Pop Tarts is usually all he eats for breakfast, but we knew he would eat other things if hungry enough. Walked around Cabanas first morning, he found Fruit Loops. By the 3rd day he was eating dried cranberries and a few other things in AM.

Decided this was a great time to try some new things and it turned out well.
That is a good point. Bring the pop tarts, but walk around the buffet to see if he's interested in anything there. If not, bring out the pop tarts, if so, bonus!

(fwiw, my dd ate mac and cheese for pretty much every dinner on board! She'll eat other things, but that's her favorite food and it was always available, so I get it, and it's ok!)

But as the pps have said, DCL is really good about food issues of any kind. He'll have plenty to eat!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: