Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

Math Question - Crunching Numbers

Okay, so here's the sitch -

November 20-29 (to get free dining) for a party of 8 staying at OKW in a 2BR w/ 7 day PH, Memory Maker, and Free DP is $10222.82

OR - DVC point rental of 2BR Villa at OKW 3552 (have already booked this, but can back out if I have to), 7 day PH 2653, MM 149 totals $6354

Difference is 3868.22 more for "Free Dining" Will I really spend that much on 1 TS, 1QS, and 1 snack per person for 9 days?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Probably not, but 8 people could easily spend $300-$400 per day, maybe more, for 10 days. You can better judge how much you think you all will spend. Say they spend only $50/day each, that's $400 day or $4000 over your stay. $50 a day isn't really partying hearty, a dinner and few drinks could run that at some places.
RPR 12/3-12/12/2014
MVMCP 2012 & 2014
MNSSHP 2013
carmelhp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
kbonner
Mouseketeer

Total difference: $3868.22
Total difference per person: $483.53
Per day per person @9 days: $53.73

This would greatly depend on where and what you ate. You will probably come out less keeping your existing reservations. It can be a lot of food. You may not want all of it.

kbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonner View Post
Total difference: $3868.22
Total difference per person: $483.53
Per day per person @9 days: $53.73

This would greatly depend on where and what you ate. You will probably come out less keeping your existing reservations. It can be a lot of food. You may not want all of it.
Yup, it depends on your meal plans. Also, do you have any kids 9 or under then the price per person will change?

Are you planning all meals onsite? Are you doing any cooking in the villa? Are you eating at 1 TS and 1 QS a day (or 9 of each per person throughout the trip)? Are your TS restaurants mostly dinners? Are you eating at lots of price fixed meals that are sitting at around $40 a person for dinner? Would you typically buy what the snack credits get you? Are you planning on buying refillable mugs?

Personally if it were me knowing the way we like to eat at Disney we would take free dining. We could eat for less if we cut out some TS restaurants, but wouldn't really want to. We would also be more comfortable booking through Disney, since the price difference isn't that large when you factor in the food.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

How many are kids?? Keep in mind tips are not included in free dining.
But paying oop can add up. An average dinner buffet adult is 40. Same for character meals. Where you planning on snacks, qs, ts even without fd?? Or were you cooking? The fd is a way of getti g people to pay to eat at the parks. Paying rack is paying for the food.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

We are 6 adults (as far as Disney is concerned), 1 kid, 1 baby.

We will most likely do TS at buffets if at all and even then it would be breakfast for the most part. We will likely do the F! package at MM, Boma for Tday dinner and the CP lunch package at Biergarten (would eat 2 credits).

We like to eat things like Sleepy Hollow Waffle Sandwiches and Turkey Legs, which the Dining plan does not cover.

Thanks for all the input. I don't want to have buyer's remorse. We do plan to use the kitchen some. I considered downgrading to two rooms, but we really need three sleeping areas with the baby around.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonstar View Post
We are 6 adults (as far as Disney is concerned), 1 kid, 1 baby.

We will most likely do TS at buffets if at all and even then it would be breakfast for the most part. We will likely do the F! package at MM, Boma for Tday dinner and the CP lunch package at Biergarten (would eat 2 credits).

We like to eat things like Sleepy Hollow Waffle Sandwiches and Turkey Legs, which the Dining plan does not cover.

Thanks for all the input. I don't want to have buyer's remorse. We do plan to use the kitchen some. I considered downgrading to two rooms, but we really need three sleeping areas with the baby around.
Sounds like for your family, especially since 1 of your 8 wouldn't be on the DDP, renting points (as long as your comfortable with it) is the better option.

Since you aren't really maximizing the dining credits, you plan on using the kitchen, and have some OOP things you want to eat (although I do think you can get Turkey Legs as a QS meal, not sure on the waffle sandwiches), I would just pay for what you want instead of worrying about the plan.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
lions1995
DIS Veteran

If you want to really see which is cheaper, I think you need to go day by day and determine where you will be eating (and if you would eat differently without the plan). Then go to a site like allears.net and see how much it would cost. Don't forget that with that many people you will need to pay 18% gratutity at ANY table services.

We recently wrestled with this issue. There are 10 of us going and originally were going to do quick service. But some liked the idea of having a sit down.

So after going through the options, we decided that Buffets were way too expensive since there are a lot of older kids that really do not eat that much. So instead of doing all the big sit down locations, we are shooting for the least pickes (Plaza, Tonies..) Using a DVC discounted TIW, we will probably end up spending about $40 a day for 1 snack, 1 quick service and 1 TS.

Good Luck
lions1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Mari23
Earning My Ears

Looks like you need to sit and figure out some things. Try this link out, its an Excel spread sheet that can help you figure out if the Out-of-pocket cost or DDP will be better for you. I have used it several times and it has steard me in the right direction. It takes time to work it but its worth the time.

http://www.thomcom.com/Home/DPvsTIWAnalysis.xls

Good luck!

Visits to the World:

April 2014 - POFQ ~~ October 2013 - AoA: Lion King Suite ~~ April 2013 - Pop Century ~~ Oct 2012: CSR - "A much needed trip" ~~ Dec 2011: POFQ - "Mickey Boot Camp" (Per DH) ~~ June 2008: Pop ~~ July 2004: AS-S ~~ Aug 2002: AS-S ~~ Summer 1999: Disney's College Program (MK outdoor foods) ~~ Aug 1994: (1st Trip to the world) - off property
Mari23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

I have rented DVC points for past 5 years and every year I figure value of renting points vs. free DDP and renting points always wins out.

Now DDP plans have increased since we used dining plan, but I found renting DVC and purchasing DDP or DXDP was still a better value then getting room through Disney and free dining.

Also if you rent points you can purchase your park tickets through UT and with 8 people that would be a decent savings.

If you really want to get an idea of food costs (and I have done this) you can go to allears net and check out the menus and figure out what it would cost OOP. It's easy to figure out cost of buffet / family style meals as its a set price. Tax is 6.5% I believe.

I've figured and figured many ways and still came up with renting points as better value. But we're a smaller group...2 adults and 1 child.

Another thought is if anyone in your party will be visiting Disney another time within the year they may want to get an Annual Pass and then purchase a Tables in Wonderland card with it. The Tables In Wonderland card gives the holder and up to 10 guests I believe a 20% discount on TS meals including alcoholic beverages. We find that to be the best value especially if you visit Disney more than once within a year.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: