Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Monique990308
Earning My Ears

VWL or AOA

Since AOA suites aren't included in the free dining promotion (at least not for our dates) we are considering other options to save money. One of these is staying in a deluxe studio at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. This option would save us $650 over AOA with quick service plan and we'd get a free standard dining plan. Has anyone stayed here? Do you think a family of five would be comfortable? My big concern is about showering/time. Any feedback is welcome!
Monique990308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

I thought the limit on the studios was 4 people at VWL. Queen bed, sleeper sofa. They do say you can get a pack n play for a kiddo under 3. Maybe that is who you are including in your 5?

We stayed in a 1 br villa with our family of 5. That was great but we missed the 2 bathrooms in the family suite at AoA!

LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCM614 View Post
I thought the limit on the studios was 4 people at VWL. Queen bed, sleeper sofa. They do say you can get a pack n play for a kiddo under 3. Maybe that is who you are including in your 5?

We stayed in a 1 br villa with our family of 5. That was great but we missed the 2 bathrooms in the family suite at AoA!
DVC mentioned that they will be "upgrading" the VWL suites to sleep 5 (I'm guessing the small fold down bed like some POR rooms). But I don't think those are available, yet.
VGF studios already have that small pulls own
And a split bathroom with seperate tub and shower sections.

FYI The DVC 1BR in Kidani and BLT have 2 full bathrooms...and 2 bathrooms is really nice
Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Monique990308
Earning My Ears

Yes, the upgraded studio. They were finished in March I guess. The 5th spot is a murphy bed similar to POR. I just think the bathroom thing may be in an issue. Our oldest will be 15 at the time. I just can wrap my head around paying rack rate at AOA. I feel that it's like going to Kohl's and paying rack rate while everyone else has mailers with 15-30% off.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique990308 View Post
Since AOA suites aren't included in the free dining promotion (at least not for our dates) we are considering other options to save money. One of these is staying in a deluxe studio at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. This option would save us $650 over AOA with quick service plan and we'd get a free standard dining plan. Has anyone stayed here? Do you think a family of five would be comfortable? My big concern is about showering/time. Any feedback is welcome!
$650 savings for a (IMO) better resort and better dining plan would be more than enough to convince me to deal with a less than ideal bathroom situation, as long as the smallest person can comfortably sleep on the murphy bed. If you don't like the VWL option, regular rooms at CR/Poly/GF/BC/YC/BWI all sleep 5 as well (a day bed for the 5th person), although some may be slightly more expensive than the VWL option.

But yeah, I would just have some people shower at night and some shower in the mornings to deal with that issue.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, the upgraded studio. They were finished in March I guess. The 5th spot is a murphy bed similar to POR. I just think the bathroom thing may be in an issue. Our oldest will be 15 at the time. I just can wrap my head around paying rack rate at AOA. I feel that it's like going to Kohl's and paying rack rate while everyone else has mailers with 15-30% off.
so this doesn't help with showering but it does help in general
BWI Concierge level - nicely fits a family of 5. What saved us? The restroom in the hall! Does that sound crazy? Just having easy access to a restroom down the hall helped with the kids in the am.

AoA family suite - we used credit card points to 'discount' the room and it worked quite nicely.

LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
staceync09
Earning My Ears

I am in the same boat as you. I actually posted a very similar question yesterday but I did not get any replies.

We would have to do a split stay to get the FD so I think we are settled on staying at AOA for the first two days then going to WL (bunk bed room). The more I thought about this last night it is just too good to pass up. Stay at a Deluxe and free dining for about the same price we could stay at a value w no food included.

I never stayed on site before so I'm little worried about the split stay in general but know my boys will love WL and hopefully my husband can wrap his head around sharing a room.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Monique990308
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceync09 View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I actually posted a very similar question yesterday but I did not get any replies.

We would have to do a split stay to get the FD so I think we are settled on staying at AOA for the first two days then going to WL (bunk bed room). The more I thought about this last night it is just too good to pass up. Stay at a Deluxe and free dining for about the same price we could stay at a value w no food included.

I never stayed on site before so I'm little worried about the split stay in general but know my boys will love WL and hopefully my husband can wrap his head around sharing a room.
Stacey, when are you going? I'm really leaning toward WL at this point too. It is crazy to pass this up. Plus, we'd get to eat at more exciting places.

Does anyone know if the showers at the pool would work if we were running short on time to send hubby to shower there?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
staceync09
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Stacey, when are you going? I'm really leaning toward WL at this point too. It is crazy to pass this up. Plus, we'd get to eat at more exciting places.
We are going 10/24 - 11/1. So, 10/24 and 10/25 at AOA then the rest at WL. When are you going?

I looked at rooms as some of the other resorts too and we could be at AKL for a similar price point but I love the idea of being close to the MK.

I really think it is too good to pass up too. Plus the boys (3 and 4 yrs) will still get two nights in the cars suite and AOA so they will be thrilled with that.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Monique990308
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceync09 View Post
We are going 10/24 - 11/1. So, 10/24 and 10/25 at AOA then the rest at WL. When are you going?

I looked at rooms as some of the other resorts too and we could be at AKL for a similar price point but I love the idea of being close to the MK.

I really think it is too good to pass up too. Plus the boys (3 and 4 yrs) will still get two nights in the cars suite and AOA so they will be thrilled with that.
Nov 15-23rd. I can't imagine the stress the poor travel agents are going through. I want to pull my hair out and Im only planning for our family
Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

WL hands down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: