Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

The GAC no longer exists. Now there is the DAS which allows for waiting in an alternate location and then entering though the FP+ line. If you look at the Stickies at the top of the disAbilities section, you'll be able to find the one explaining how the DAS works. He absolutely will qualify for the DAS if he can explain why he needs to be able to wait somewhere other than the regular line for the problems relating to his PTSD. (He doesn't need to say he has PTSD, but to explain the needs caused by the PTSD).

The DAS will not help with the mobility issues at all (it could result in his walking extra, in fact) and WDW will tell him that for those he needs to use a wheelchair or ECV. I know he's young, but it really might be worth his considering an ECV. It will give him the independence he won't get from a wheelchair and he will not be the youngest ECV user by far. He can also always park it and walk so only use it for the longer distances between lands or other sections of the parks. I'm probably younger than he is and have needed to use a wheelchair or ECV at the parks since I was 20. (My disabilities are related to a genetic condition.)
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
mukorasirish
Earning My Ears

Por

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and LOVE it. It is very quiet. There is a place to fish but honestly it is just a little hole and we only caught a 2 inch sun fish. There aren't jet skis to rent there as the hotel is on a waterway not a lake. You can rent a motorized fishing boat or the little motorized boats. We love the boat ride down to Downtown Disney. There is also lots of room to walk and rent the bikes. When we stay there we usually go to DTD each night for dinner.

I hoep whatever you decide you have a wonderful trip!
mukorasirish is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
With regards to the military discount - you won't get the same rate you would get at SoG at Disney-owned resorts. Disney does not own SoG. Disney does often (if not always) have a military-discount ticket that you can get regardless of where you stay. I don't know that Disney ever offers a military discount for WDW resorts, since SoG is on property. Keep in mind that SoG is on par with at least moderate Disney resorts, if not deluxe. So you may get a similar rate on a Disney value resort, but there will be a huge difference in accommodations.

However, I think price should only be part of your hotel decision. Your DH's peace of mind is more important than the hotel room.

There are indeed military discounts for Disney hotels - they normally run September to September. Discounts vary between resorts, and not all resorts are available for all dates. In general, the higher level of resort, the bigger the discount.

We currently booked at Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, 2BR Savana view, with a 40% discount.

I can't speak for POR, but POFQ is a wonderful resort as well...small, quiet and very pretty.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
KristenFNJ
Mouseketeer

I know this is sort of way out in left field and is a huge long shot, and not a direct response to the original question, and I also realize that all sorts of things impact a decision like this (one of which, in this case, is time-not sure when your trip is!). However, I thought it might be worth mentioning, if you haven't already become familiar, with service dogs for PTSD. I realize that this is a suggestion for life, not just for a trip! But a service dog could make any of these situations, from firework noise to crowds, (especially if those occur when you're not prepared for them) easier to cope with. The Battle Buddy Foundation was created to connect service dogs with veterans specifically coping with PTSD and TBI (whereas usabattlebuddies provides service dogs for veterans coping with many other physical conditions as well, TBBF focuses specifically on PTSD and TBI). Look into tbbf.org if you get a chance. Maybe not for this trip, but perhaps just for an option in the future.

Thank you both, for his service! All the best to you both!
KristenFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukorasirish View Post
We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and LOVE it. It is very quiet. There is a place to fish but honestly it is just a little hole and we only caught a 2 inch sun fish. There aren't jet skis to rent there as the hotel is on a waterway not a lake. You can rent a motorized fishing boat or the little motorized boats. We love the boat ride down to Downtown Disney. There is also lots of room to walk and rent the bikes. When we stay there we usually go to DTD each night for dinner.

I hoep whatever you decide you have a wonderful trip!
FYI - the boat rental facility at POR is now closed. They still have a boat to Downtown Disney though.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #21
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer0610 View Post

I had my hubs look at the resorts and he likes Port Orleans Riverside...is it quiet enough and away from the hustle and bustle to let him feel relaxed? He also wants to go fishing and it says somewhere that you can do catch and release fishing at a few resorts.
He has great taste. POR is a great resort. I've stayed there twice now and just love it! JUST wanted to make sure you know that it is close to EPCOT so that when the fireworks happen in the evening if you're outside you will hear them. We stood on the curved bridge from the lobby over to the mansions and could just see a little of the highest fireworks.

He can fish at POR! Also there are lot's of nice paths. And an awesome boat ride over to Downtown Disney which is really relaxing too!

Sept 29-Oct 10, 2012 POR, Jan 6-15th, 2014 POR, Oct 2-6th, 2014 BCV, October 6-10th, 2014 DCL Wonder
*Heather & Melissa's Epic Adventure PTR October 2014*
*395 days of planning all lead up to this! Sept/Oct 2012*
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My husband is 100% disabled for PTSD and TBI. We are going to Disney as a second honeymoon and renew our vows for our 10 year anniversary. We are planning on staying at Shades of Green but now I'm not so sure. Can we get the military discount and stay at another resort on Disney property? I'm concerned that SoG is too close to all the fireworks at MK. Is there a travel agent someone can recommend that can help me with all this? I feel so overwhelmed! We have our dates, and airfare but everything else is kind of up for discussion. TIA!
SoG is nowhere near the fireworks. at best you MIGHT get a few of the highest reaching ones.. there will NOT be any noise. Military rates at the resorts do vary. if he needs quiet..SoG is PERFECT.. it is an extremely peaceful resort without all the hustle and bustle and sheer frenetic activity of the other resorts.

and quite frankly, more empathetic fellow guests who are more likely to recognize his issues and be more willing( and able) to help in case he needs it.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
Sabrina90744
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is all so helpful! Thank you! Last time we went we got a GAC card no problem (before the big hoopla about disabled people "selling their services" to get through the lines fast) How has getting a GAC card for alternative entrance been since? My husband can't do the crowds in lines...he can manage being in the parks when they aren't so crowded so long as when we go to the rides he has the GAC card and isn't "trapped" in a crowded line. He can't stand for long periods of time either because of the damage from blasts in Iraq. He's "too young" to admit to needing a wheel chair or cane to help him through the parks. I had my hubs look at the resorts and he likes Port Orleans Riverside...is it quiet enough and away from the hustle and bustle to let him feel relaxed? He also wants to go fishing and it says somewhere that you can do catch and release fishing at a few resorts. Anyone heard of this? Is there a place to rent jet skis to ride on the water? These are the things he is interested in if it gets too crowded in the parks. Thanks for all the help everyone!

This sounds exactly like my DH. 100% PTSD, TBI among other back and knee problems. We are planning his first trip now. Like you I know we won't have problems with the crowds it's going to be the lines. Feeling trapped and having people all around him with no way out. I'm hoping that since we are going to one of the slower times it won't affect him as much. But still we are not planning on to many rides. The kids are a little worried about their Papa. Is there a new program like the Old GAC. We tried a couple days at Disneyland and were ok. Got a little anxious in some of the lines and we had to spend the rest of our last day just enjoying the ambiance.

Sabrina90744 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: