Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I would say mods are comparable to a Days Inn or Comfort Inn, while deluxes are comparable to a Marriott or Hyatt, while values are comparable to a Super 8. Franchised brands like that, however, can really vary in quality and value depending on the area, age, etc. All Disney hotels are at least well maintained.
I agree with this, but we still pay it because we like the immersion in Disney while at the World.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #17
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

I suppose the references are roughly accurate. It has been some times since I stayed at a Days Inn.

Offsite, I stay mostly at Hampton Inns, but nothing onsite really compares to those. I like clean, and Hampton Inns are almost universally clean, so are WDW hotels.

The WDW food courts are also a step above what you'd find at many offsite 'value resorts.'

More importantly though, among offsite chains there is considerable variation even within brands. The age of the hotel, and how recent renovation happen is important. It can be more variable.

Disney values skimp on things like towel quality. but they are extremely well kept in terms of cleanliness. I have seen some offsite chains that re scary in terms of how clean/updated they are.

Many offsite choices are great, often you can get a better place for the same price point as WDW. but not always. We stayed a few scary offsite places, or places that just had no wow factor. So it's little more open ended offsite, IMO.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
smokeyblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoker View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I sat down with my 7 year old daughter last night and laid out the pro's and con's of on-site vs. off site. I showed her pictures of the Disney Mod's and of the villa we have booked off site. Her vote was for off site. I guess if the 7 year old is going to pick luxury and space over Disney immersion the 4 adults going with her can too. She also talked me into buying plane tickets instead of driving. Guess she has mama wrapped around that little finger. She did give me the title of super mom and made me a cape out of her favorite blanket.
Your daughter made a good choice! I think in your situation you are going to be so much more comfortable in the larger space plus having amenities right in your villa like laundry. My parents used to rent a large villa for a month and the adult children and their kids would come to stay. I think my parents liked that they didn't feel obligated to be host or join in on all our activities. It was also nice to have a living area for everyone to lounge and a kitchen to make breakfast and store leftovers.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the moderate we stayed in. It would be hard to compare it to other hotels. The room suited us better then I had imagined. The little conveniences like extra drawer space and two bathroom sinks worked very well for the two of us. However, I can see once you get a family in that room it is just like any other low-end of moderate-priced hotel you would book elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
scoker
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club that we have booked once before and thought it was beautiful. It has nice pools and daily activities around the resort. It will be nice for my parents too, especially my Dad that might be pooped out and have some serious down time at the resort. He'll have plenty of space to spread out ect. Hopefully with Platinum status we will be give a good up to date villa. We are paying $220 a night for a two bedroom 2 bath with full kitchen, dining area, living room and 2 patios. We also have a $30 a day food credit to use there. I think it is the right move for us. We want a more relaxed trip(2 person jacuzzi = small child sleeps in nani and papa's room) and we may do somethings outside the world anyway.

The big surprise for me with all of this is that my daughter takes a very pragmatic look at it. She was not swayed by the on site immersion or FREE dining or Disney hotel themes. She wanted to know how the transportation system would work if we stayed on site and didn't rent a car or how far was the off site hotel was or how much money we would spend on food if we make our own breakfast and bedtime snack. I let her figure out for herself that the luxury villa was less expensive than the on-site. It was good to let her have a real world problem to work through and make a decision about. It was very cool to watch a little kid make a rational decision about a disney vacation.

WDW February 1987
WDW January 2002
DLR October 2010
DLR April 2012
DLR February 2013
WDW November 2014
scoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: