Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
scoker
Mouseketeer

Moderate Resort Rooms are comparable to?

What hotel brand would you compare room quality to a WDW moderate resort room? I'm not asking about the great themes of the public spaces/pools, just the comfort and quality of the room itself.

I've only stayed at a Disney Property once at DLR. I stayed at the Grand Californian which I would say had beautiful public spaces and close to the 4 star service they claim but the room was on par with a nice Marriott or Hilton and the bathroom was tiny and not at all "high end". I don't really need a high end bathroom but I expected more from a $400-500/night room. When I've stayed at other hotels in that price range it was luxurious.

I wondering what the WDW moderates are comparable to. Something like a Fairfield Inn? I might be swayed to change my off site ressie for November to on-site if Free Dining is offered but I want to know exactly what I'm giving up in exchange.

Thanks for any advise!

WDW February 1987
WDW January 2002
DLR October 2010
DLR April 2012
DLR February 2013
WDW November 2014
scoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoker View Post
What hotel brand would you compare room quality to a WDW moderate resort room? I'm not asking about the great themes of the public spaces/pools, just the comfort and quality of the room itself.

I've only stayed at a Disney Property once at DLR. I stayed at the Grand Californian which I would say had beautiful public spaces and close to the 4 star service they claim but the room was on par with a nice Marriott or Hilton and the bathroom was tiny and not at all "high end". I don't really need a high end bathroom but I expected more from a $400-500/night room. When I've stayed at other hotels in that price range it was luxurious.

I wondering what the WDW moderates are comparable to. Something like a Fairfield Inn? I might be swayed to change my off site ressie for November to on-site if Free Dining is offered but I want to know exactly what I'm giving up in exchange.

Thanks for any advise!
I think the mods are nicer than a Fairfield Inn, but they do have exterior hallways... which some people don't like. Personally I would take a mod over an off-site hotel any day. Nothing beats the convenience of being on property.
My WDW Resort stays: Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 *Boardwalk 2014, 2013, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Art of Animation 2014 * Wilderness Lodge 2014, 2011, 2004, 2003 * Saratoga Springs 2007 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Coronado Spring 2014 *
Live from the WL CL for Christmas!!! Come join the fun: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52762897
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
I think the mods are nicer than a Fairfield Inn, but they do have exterior hallways... which some people don't like. Personally I would take a mod over an off-site hotel any day. Nothing beats the convenience of being on property.
I completely agree. We have stayed several times at Riverside and the rooms have always been clean and neat. It is hard to compare to a chain hotel because of the theme and overall resort feel. The rooms are not huge, but are more than adequate. All of the moderates have queen beds except for CBR.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR, October 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Savikins
DIS Veteran

WDW moderate resorts are very nice and clean. I haven't stayed in an awful lot of off site hotels, but I've stayed at the Hilton in DD, and Disney mod resort rooms are way nicer. The beds in Disney mods and deluxes are sooo comfortable!

I actually just posted a video tour of my room at POFQ, if you want to check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7byfbu5a2qI
Savikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
scoker
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the video link. That was very helpful. It will be a tough decision. We are traveling with my parents so we don't have a apples to apples comparison. We are booked now in a 2 bedroom villa with full kitchen, laundry, living room and patio. My husband has top status at a big hotel chain and we booked this 1300 sqft. property (plus 140 sqft patio) for about $10 more a night than one moderate room is going for and we would have to reserve two regular hotel rooms because there is no way 5 of us will survive in one hotel room. So we would be giving up a lot of comfort to go with the convenience of staying on site. Money wise it would be close to a wash if we got free dining but had to book two rooms.

WDW February 1987
WDW January 2002
DLR October 2010
DLR April 2012
DLR February 2013
WDW November 2014
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
shocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the video link. That was very helpful. It will be a tough decision. We are traveling with my parents so we don't have a apples to apples comparison. We are booked now in a 2 bedroom villa with full kitchen, laundry, living room and patio. My husband has top status at a big hotel chain and we booked this 1300 sqft. property (plus 140 sqft patio) for about $10 more a night than one moderate room is going for and we would have to reserve two regular hotel rooms because there is no way 5 of us will survive in one hotel room. So we would be giving up a lot of comfort to go with the convenience of staying on site. Money wise it would be close to a wash if we got free dining but had to book two rooms.
I know, last summer we booked a 2 bdrm suite with a king bedroom for me and DH and another bedroom (with 1 double bed for each kid) and another bathroom, a full kitchen which we used, 3 TV's, hot breakfast buffet included, and dinner with adult beverages 4 nights a week for less than a moderate, it was a no brainer. With AP's we don't pay to park.

We will be staying at a moderate for the first time in June.

NO TICKERS!

Last edited by shocker; 05-06-2014 at 01:00 PM.
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Savikins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's definitely a tough decision! Either way it sounds like you're going to have an awesome vacation. Best of luck and I'm glad I could be a help!
Savikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
Patience
DIS Veteran

It's a good question, OP. A lot of people seem to really like the common areas of the Disney hotels (me too because they are awesome and so well themed) but don't post a lot about the quality of the rooms themselves which is important to me also. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside last fall in a royal room and I liked the room well enough. The bathroom was small, especially the tub/shower/toilet area. The rooms have the heating/air conditioner unit under the window instead of central air so that gives the room a bit of a dated feel but the unit is disguised by a cabinet in the POR rooms. The furnishings and carpet in our room were newer and in good condition. We had the bedspreads which I didn't like but those have been replaced with triple sheet bedding now. Overall, I would say the room is about the same quality as an older Hampton Inn or an older Courtyard because of the older style bathrooms and the window air conditioner units. Of course all moderates have outside corridors too which most older Hamptons or Courtyards don't have but that's just the way it is at Disney unless you go deluxe.

Good luck deciding! We will be in a moderate on our next trip in 2015 because we like having the dining plan and not having to drive on vacation. I am willing to give up a little room quality for those two things but don't think the Disney deluxe hotels are worth the money for our family and the value rooms are a little too basic for me.

Last edited by Patience; 05-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I would say mods are comparable to a Days Inn or Comfort Inn, while deluxes are comparable to a Marriott or Hyatt, while values are comparable to a Super 8. Franchised brands like that, however, can really vary in quality and value depending on the area, age, etc. All Disney hotels are at least well maintained.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Staying on site is mainly for convenience. The rooms across the board are ok. The thing that makes each level stand out are the lobbies, sometimes the pools, and themed bedspreads in the rooms. We became DVC members several years ago. If we can't get at least a 1 bedroom, we stay offsite because we like our space.

We've stayed offsite before in both pool villas and condos and had just as nice a time as when we've stayed on site. We're not the type of family that has to be immersed in Disney 24/7.
Disneychick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
AtlantaDisneyDreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I would say mods are comparable to a Days Inn or Comfort Inn, while deluxes are comparable to a Marriott or Hyatt, while values are comparable to a Super 8. Franchised brands like that, however, can really vary in quality and value depending on the area, age, etc. All Disney hotels are at least well maintained.
Agreed! If we were looking primarily at room quality, we would go off site. You get so much more for your money. We, however, are looking for Disney magic , so we usually stay on site. We were in a Royal Room last year and loved POR as a resort. The furnishings and bathroom quality were pretty basic - more like a Comfort Inn. But a really cool and clean one. And you won't find those fireworks headboards at any old Comfort Inn!
AtlantaDisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I agree. It doesn't mean they are not well maintained but the moderates have no balconies, you have people walking by your window, no doors on the closets, except for CSR no central heating/cooling (hate those window units). Sad thing is you are paying Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott prices.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
kastoney
Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I agree. It doesn't mean they are not well maintained but the moderates have no balconies, you have people walking by your window, no doors on the closets, except for CSR no central heating/cooling (hate those window units). Sad thing is you are paying Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott prices.
Completely agree. Comfort Inn quality at a Marriott price. This is why we usually stay deluxe (marriott quality for a 4 seasons price) or Value.
kastoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
scoker
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the input. I sat down with my 7 year old daughter last night and laid out the pro's and con's of on-site vs. off site. I showed her pictures of the Disney Mod's and of the villa we have booked off site. Her vote was for off site. I guess if the 7 year old is going to pick luxury and space over Disney immersion the 4 adults going with her can too. She also talked me into buying plane tickets instead of driving. Guess she has mama wrapped around that little finger. She did give me the title of super mom and made me a cape out of her favorite blanket.

WDW February 1987
WDW January 2002
DLR October 2010
DLR April 2012
DLR February 2013
WDW November 2014
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
AtlantaDisneyDreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. I sat down with my 7 year old daughter last night and laid out the pro's and con's of on-site vs. off site. I showed her pictures of the Disney Mod's and of the villa we have booked off site. Her vote was for off site. I guess if the 7 year old is going to pick luxury and space over Disney immersion the 4 adults going with her can too. She also talked me into buying plane tickets instead of driving. Guess she has mama wrapped around that little finger. She did give me the title of super mom and made me a cape out of her favorite blanket.

You are an awesome mom! I love that you give your daughter a say in your vacation. I took my 7 year old daughter to Disney last fall and we stayed in the Royal Rooms. She also talked me into flying rather than driving. She loves vacation... but dislikes riding in the car. Makes for some expensive but happy vacations.

Have a great time!
AtlantaDisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: