Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #136
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheribelle View Post
What a great trip report! Thank you for your honest comparisons about both ships.

We too had such excellent service on our Dream cruise last year that I'm so nervous it won't be repeated again. Everyone we met went out of their way to make our stay so magical. Especially our room host. She was super sweet. My kids still talk about her.

Hope you have a magical time on your Wonder cruise next year. Can't wait to hear about that comparison!
Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

We've had nothing but great service on the Dream for both of our cruises and I was very surprised by the lack of service in certain areas on the Magic. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time and great service on your next cruise.

I will definitely do a comparison when I get back.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #137
tweis
DIS Veteran

I totally forgot to mention that I actually had to leave a note on our white board for our room host telling him that our toiletries needed replenishing.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #138
starousse
DIS Veteran

What a great review. We just got off the Dream and thought the service was unbelievable. I usually prefer a land based vacation, but the top notch service on this ship makes me wanna do it again. I'm so glad you did a comparison, because we contemplating trying the Magic or Fantasy for next time.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #139
crichardson11
Mouseketeer

Loved following your review. I completely agree with you. We cruised the Dream last May for the first time and had an absolutely amazing vacation. My mother was so jealous that she booked a trip and took us along this May so she could experience it. I wanted to try out the Magic after reading about all of the hype on here and I have to say that it didn't quite live up to the Dream. We still had an amazing vacation and my mom is ready to cruise the Magic again but if I had my choice for next time, I'd pick the Dream again.

Stateroom Host - On the Dream we had amazing service and she was always there greeting us and asking if there was anything she could do. On the Magic, we bumped into her once by accident and she didn't even introduce herself. She excused herself from the room so we could have some privacy (changing to head up to the pools) but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Dining Experience - I think the quality of the food was very comparable but the servers were amazing on the Magic. We didn't have bad servers on the Dream, but the Magic ones provided over the top service and were fantastic with my 4 year old daugher & niece.

Castaway Cay - I absolutely love this place! I didn't feel crowded when we cruised the Dream but I could definitely tell a difference on the Magic. There was a lot more space. It also could have been due to the fact that it rained heavily that morning and I think a lot of people gave up on heading out as the ship scheduled more indoor activities. But it turned out to be a gorgeous afternoon and we stayed on the beach until "last call" to return to the ship.

Entertainment - I think they were equal. Loved the shows on each boat and my daughter liked the kids clubs equally.

Size - I am with you here. The Dream was breath taking. The Magic is gorgeous but just not as impressive after cruising the Dream last time. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I entered the atrium on the Magic. I don't feel like we walked too much or that the Dream was crowded. I knew the Magic would be smaller and that's exactly why I wanted to experience it but it just wasn't the same. And the elevators... eek! Definitely missed the space there.

Pools - In my opinion, both ships pools are too small. And I felt more crowded on the Magic's pool deck as I didn't feel there was enough deck space for walk ways without bumping into people or stepping over someone who was trying to sunbathe. The Dream definitely had more space to move though.

We saw a movie on the Magic which we didn't get to experience on the Dream which was fun and we still had an awesome time. My mom is ready to book again and said she would go back to the same ship. My daughter missed Goofy Golf and the Midship Detective game from the Dream. She didn't miss the actual game per se as she is too young to really experience the game piece of it but she missed the animated artwork. Two things that we definitely enjoyed on the Dream but I knew going into the Magic that we wouldn't have those two things and they were certainly not deal breakers.

To anyone trying to decide what ship to cruise, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter your choice. You'll have as much fun as you allow yourself to
crichardson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #140
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
What a great review. We just got off the Dream and thought the service was unbelievable. I usually prefer a land based vacation, but the top notch service on this ship makes me wanna do it again. I'm so glad you did a comparison, because we contemplating trying the Magic or Fantasy for next time.
Thank you! I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise no matter which ship you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crichardson11 View Post
Loved following your review. I completely agree with you. We cruised the Dream last May for the first time and had an absolutely amazing vacation. My mother was so jealous that she booked a trip and took us along this May so she could experience it. I wanted to try out the Magic after reading about all of the hype on here and I have to say that it didn't quite live up to the Dream. We still had an amazing vacation and my mom is ready to cruise the Magic again but if I had my choice for next time, I'd pick the Dream again.

Stateroom Host - On the Dream we had amazing service and she was always there greeting us and asking if there was anything she could do. On the Magic, we bumped into her once by accident and she didn't even introduce herself. She excused herself from the room so we could have some privacy (changing to head up to the pools) but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Dining Experience - I think the quality of the food was very comparable but the servers were amazing on the Magic. We didn't have bad servers on the Dream, but the Magic ones provided over the top service and were fantastic with my 4 year old daugher & niece.

Castaway Cay - I absolutely love this place! I didn't feel crowded when we cruised the Dream but I could definitely tell a difference on the Magic. There was a lot more space. It also could have been due to the fact that it rained heavily that morning and I think a lot of people gave up on heading out as the ship scheduled more indoor activities. But it turned out to be a gorgeous afternoon and we stayed on the beach until "last call" to return to the ship.

Entertainment - I think they were equal. Loved the shows on each boat and my daughter liked the kids clubs equally.

Size - I am with you here. The Dream was breath taking. The Magic is gorgeous but just not as impressive after cruising the Dream last time. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I entered the atrium on the Magic. I don't feel like we walked too much or that the Dream was crowded. I knew the Magic would be smaller and that's exactly why I wanted to experience it but it just wasn't the same. And the elevators... eek! Definitely missed the space there.

Pools - In my opinion, both ships pools are too small. And I felt more crowded on the Magic's pool deck as I didn't feel there was enough deck space for walk ways without bumping into people or stepping over someone who was trying to sunbathe. The Dream definitely had more space to move though.

We saw a movie on the Magic which we didn't get to experience on the Dream which was fun and we still had an awesome time. My mom is ready to book again and said she would go back to the same ship. My daughter missed Goofy Golf and the Midship Detective game from the Dream. She didn't miss the actual game per se as she is too young to really experience the game piece of it but she missed the animated artwork. Two things that we definitely enjoyed on the Dream but I knew going into the Magic that we wouldn't have those two things and they were certainly not deal breakers.

To anyone trying to decide what ship to cruise, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter your choice. You'll have as much fun as you allow yourself to
Thanks for reading! We missed the midship detective agency and Goofy Golf also.

I know what you mean about the atrium. I just wasn't "wowed" like I was on the Dream. I'm glad to hear that our trip wasn't just a "fluke" and that others haven't had stellar service also. Not that I'm glad you didn't meet your stateroom host, just glad that I'm not the only one that prefers the Dream over the Magic.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #141
1craftymom
Earning My Ears

Thanks for writing your trip report. We have traveled on the magic 3 times & loved it. We are booked on the dream next March & I'm wondering how I'll like it. It was nice to see your comparison because I was thinking about changing back to magic. Wasn't Andy awesome? He was on our last 2 cruises & so much fun!
1craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #142
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1craftymom View Post
Thanks for writing your trip report. We have traveled on the magic 3 times & loved it. We are booked on the dream next March & I'm wondering how I'll like it. It was nice to see your comparison because I was thinking about changing back to magic. Wasn't Andy awesome? He was on our last 2 cruises & so much fun!
Thanks for reading. Andy was awesome and I hope we have the pleasure of cruising with him again. The service on the Magic was just really lackluster compared to what we had experienced on both of our Dream cruises. I did enjoy the size of the Magic though. I'm sure you will have a great cruise either way.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #143
kiddoc23
Earning My Ears

Thank you for such wonderful posts. I just read the whole thread. We have sailed the dream once, the fantasy once and I will be going on the Magic next April break. This was very informative. Thank you again.
06/97-CBR, 02/02-CS, 10/07-POFQ, 02/10-CR, 07/10-POFQ, 04/11-DCL/Dream, 12/11-BLT, 04/12-AKL, 05/12-AKL, 10/12-BWV, 04/13-DCL/Fantasy, 4/13--Star Wars Wkend, 10/13-Dolphin, 4/14--BLT, 4/15--DCL/Magic....and many more to come!
kiddoc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #144
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddoc23 View Post
Thank you for such wonderful posts. I just read the whole thread. We have sailed the dream once, the fantasy once and I will be going on the Magic next April break. This was very informative. Thank you again.
Thanks so much for reading! I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #145
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your trip! I enjoyed reading along and seeing your pictures. We recently booked our first cruise on the Dream for next July. I have heard so many people talk about the Magic, it was nice to read your comparisons. I feel confident my family will enjoy our cruise on the Dream. Have a wonderful time on your next cruise!

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #146
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip! I enjoyed reading along and seeing your pictures. We recently booked our first cruise on the Dream for next July. I have heard so many people talk about the Magic, it was nice to read your comparisons. I feel confident my family will enjoy our cruise on the Dream. Have a wonderful time on your next cruise!
Thanks for reading! I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time on the Dream. I wrote a report for our last Dream cruise but it was an adults only cruise so it probably does not cover all the info you would be interested in but it is in my signature if you want a quick read. My boys prefer the Dream over the Magic and they really want our next cruise to be either the Dream or the Fantasy.

ETA: The link for my 3 night Dream cruise report does not appear to be working for some reason but you can google "my dreamy anniversary cruise" and it will come up.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #147
packerbeth
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your trip with us! We are preparing for our very first Disney cruise on the Magic the week after Thanksgiving, and I'm reading everything I can about the ship. Your report was extremely helpful!

I wonder if you could PM me your travel agent's direct email address. I booked directly with Disney, but would like to have a TA handle the reservation, and if I can get the OBC you mentioned, even better!

Thanks again!
packerbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #148
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbeth View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your trip with us! We are preparing for our very first Disney cruise on the Magic the week after Thanksgiving, and I'm reading everything I can about the ship. Your report was extremely helpful!

I wonder if you could PM me your travel agent's direct email address. I booked directly with Disney, but would like to have a TA handle the reservation, and if I can get the OBC you mentioned, even better!

Thanks again!
Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure you all will have a wonderful time on the Magic. I sent you my TA info.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #149
lealea42
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
We are doing the Magic next year after twice on the Dream. I'm excited to see what you thought.
We're looking at sailing on a 4 night October 2015 since the Dream isn't doing any then. We just got off the 4 night on the Dream so am very anxious to read your report!

First Family Vacation:
Disney Dream 9/7-9/11/14
Animal Kingdom 9/11/14
lealea42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #150
August2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I totally forgot to mention that I actually had to leave a note on our white board for our room host telling him that our toiletries needed replenishing.
We had a similar situation on the Fantasy. It all boils down to the CM. Some are great and some are blah. We got scolded for not bring the kids with us to the MDR one night! Overall we had a great cruise too. These little things don't make or break the experience but it would have been nice to have better service in those areas.

I really enjoyed your report! It's nice to see an honest opinion. Your pictures are great! Thanks for sharing!

Sep 2013-Fantasy
Sep 2012-WL
Feb 2012- GF
Aug 2011- GF
Aug 2010- Poly
August2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: