Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Chickee123
Earning My Ears

Free dining or 40% off hotel?

I have a cousin that has an internship at Disney that generously offered me his 40% off Cast Member discount on our resort hotel. We were planning on going in Sept. anyway and staying at AoA resort which qualifies for free dining at that time. I am pretty sure you can't combine these two discounts unfortunately! Which route would we be better off doing? There are 5 of us and our kids are 3, 5 and 7.
Chickee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee123 View Post
I have a cousin that has an internship at Disney that generously offered me his 40% off Cast Member discount on our resort hotel. We were planning on going in Sept. anyway and staying at AoA resort which qualifies for free dining at that time. I am pretty sure you can't combine these two discounts unfortunately! Which route would we be better off doing? There are 5 of us and our kids are 3, 5 and 7.
40% is too good. Can't imagine any better discount, even with dining. You could easily pay for your food and more with 40% off your room. Plus, you have all children under 10 and they would be on the kids menu. I wouldn't even think twice about tossing the free dining.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

At a mod or deluxe resort we would always opt for the room discount. I'd grab that 40% in a heartbeat.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

So if you were to purchase the quick service dining plan it would cost you just over $132 per day. I'm not sure of the price of a Suite in September. But if it costs let's say $300, then you'll save $120 per day off the room if you take the 40% off discount. It costs our family of 4 (two adults and two children, but older children who like to eat) about $100 a day to eat at Disney - but we don't always order what we want because we try to keep the costs down.

I think for your situation, it may be kind of a toss up.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
spritna
Mouseketeer

With the 40% there is only certain rooms/resorts available just like the public discounts. So have them check, and then see which discount you can use.

spritna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
MartDM
DIS Veteran

No question, go with the room discount!
MartDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

I'd go with the 40% discount too

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Mikie
Mouseketeer

I am odd and love disney math!
At 300 (ish) per night at AofA, 40% is $120 per night savings
Dining plan is $59/adult and $19/child, so $175 savings per night for you

That assumes the dining plan would be something you'd pay for if you took the room discount. You could eat more cheaply out of pocket depending on your eating habits. My family wants to have character meals (kids), sit down and be waited on at least once a day (hubby), and not eat burgers/sandwiches and fries for 8 days straight (me). So I priced out our DDP/no DDP options for a family of 5 with 3 character meals (one is CRT that takes 2 credits) and 3 sit downs without characters, a quick service per day and light snack-type meal per day. These specific restaurants result in about breaking even on adults and saving substantially on the kids. SO if you eat like us, the DDP is useful and the FD is your better discount.

However, if you'd eat in your suite, eat more fast food or skip some meals altogether, or not do any pricey character meals, the out of pocket eating and the room discount would pay off for you.

In general, value resorts full of family members (even the pricier AofA) benefit more from a FD discount *assuming you'd eat that way*; moderates and deluxes with fewer people (especially kids) benefit more from the room discount.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'd take the discount!! With the ages of your kids they can prob share some meals.
We've gone oop, and put the amount we would have spent on a Disney gift card, eat well, and come out cheaper then what DDP would have cost. A few things factor in, we prefer water with our meals, not pop drinkers, don't want dessert after lunch, and my daughter & I prefer to share a dessert if one interests us, or maybe pick up something elsewhere later in the night. We have a hard time using all the snack credits on the DDP, just too much food. We may not do a TS every night, but just about. And the CS meals are getting pretty good, we may have a burger once. But there's a large variety of food at CS these days.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

It depends on where you stay and your dining habits.

We are a family of four. 2 adults, 1 Disney adult (10) and 1 child.

We stay 10 nights. The DDP would cost us $2011.00.

I know from our previous stays, that using our TiW card, we never spend more than $1100 on food (that's with about 6 TS meals incl signature and character). We just don't like to be tied to a DP our whole trip, plus TONS of food goes to waste.

We do however, greatly enjoy staying deluxe, and CL. With our 40% off at the GF (outer building CL), we are saving $2775 off of rack rate.

So, not only do we save $1000+ by not doing the DDP and paying OOP, we have the added savings of the room type we enjoy for a total of $3775 in savings on what would be the rack rate for our trip.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

With younger children like yours I would take the room discount. With older kids like my sons, when they used to go, I always took the free dining promo because they will eat you out of house and home
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
Moomduck1
DIS Veteran

40% off in a heartbeat. When my children were young, the dining plan was NEVER worth it. Much cheaper to pay out of pocket. It wasn't really worth it as adults either. We just aren't big eaters, so it's always cheaper for us to pay out of pocket for food.
Boardwalk Port Orleans French Quarter Art of Animation
Upcoming: Dolphin

And this is for DD...
Moomduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
I am odd and love disney math!
At 300 (ish) per night at AofA, 40% is $120 per night savings
Dining plan is $59/adult and $19/child, so $175 savings per night for you

That assumes the dining plan would be something you'd pay for if you took the room discount. You could eat more cheaply out of pocket depending on your eating habits. My family wants to have character meals (kids), sit down and be waited on at least once a day (hubby), and not eat burgers/sandwiches and fries for 8 days straight (me). So I priced out our DDP/no DDP options for a family of 5 with 3 character meals (one is CRT that takes 2 credits) and 3 sit downs without characters, a quick service per day and light snack-type meal per day. These specific restaurants result in about breaking even on adults and saving substantially on the kids. SO if you eat like us, the DDP is useful and the FD is your better discount.

However, if you'd eat in your suite, eat more fast food or skip some meals altogether, or not do any pricey character meals, the out of pocket eating and the room discount would pay off for you.

In general, value resorts full of family members (even the pricier AofA) benefit more from a FD discount *assuming you'd eat that way*; moderates and deluxes with fewer people (especially kids) benefit more from the room discount.
OP is staying at AoA which is offered free quick service dining. Looks like you quoted the regular dining plan prices. I agree with PP that it's kind of a toss up - considering QS prices, the free dining plan vs. 40% off a family suite is the difference of a few dollars per night.

OP, would you buy the QS dining plan anyway if you went with the 40% off? Or would you buy either dining plan if it wasn't an offer? If you'd get it anyway, you might as well go with the free plan. If not, you're better off with the 40% off.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Chickee123
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!! I am leaning towards the hotel discount then.
Chickee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
Mikie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
OP is staying at AoA which is offered free quick service dining. Looks like you quoted the regular dining plan prices. I agree with PP that it's kind of a toss up - considering QS prices, the free dining plan vs. 40% off a family suite is the difference of a few dollars per night.

OP, would you buy the QS dining plan anyway if you went with the 40% off? Or would you buy either dining plan if it wasn't an offer? If you'd get it anyway, you might as well go with the free plan. If not, you're better off with the 40% off.
Oops! You're absolutely right, I used regular dining plan prices & not the QS price, which is what you get free from AofA at $300/night, I guess my brain just decided that wasn't "value" pricing!

Factoring the upgrade to DDP or just using the QS plan, and it's basically a wash.. . . Decide how you plan to eat at disney & RO is likely the best, most flexible deal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: