Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #31
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

For the light cards, you only need them on the new ships (Dream and Fantasy). The Magic and Wonder don't have the card slots.

We got 2 of them in our FE. It was really handy.
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #32
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

We are an adults only cabin and my favorite things have been from people's home towns. Someone from Louisiana gave us gumbo mix, New Orleans souvenir plastic cups, beads, a magnet and a post card. We got something similar from other cities, too. It's definitely not just geared toward kids.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #33
SeattleSuz
DIS Veteran

My DH is worried that he is going to get "junk". I told him that most of the time, people are pretty thoughtful with what they put in their FE gifts. That being said, I tried to make ours as customized as possible, with pins of each person's fave Disney character, some Starbucks coffee or hot cocoa (for the adults), handmade bows (for the girls), and candy and fun stuff (for the boys).

I don't think my DH will quite "get" the whole idea until we are actually on the ship...

Suz (40) DH-Matt (39) DD-Ariel (6)
SeattleSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #34
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSuz View Post
My DH is worried that he is going to get "junk".
You very well may. Some cruises have been better than others. I'm being honest. We are done with the FE after this year. We will have been participants for 13 of our cruises and it's run it's course..........

That being said, my fave gifts were 1) home made wine glass charms, 2) little bottles of alcohol, 3) cut out cookies (which we brought home) and 4) candy from the UK

DD loved the Lego cruise ship she got (very cute!) and I'm sure there were others that were favorites, but that stuck out as a top one

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #35
FamilyofTerpFans
Earning My Ears

FE amount?

How much do folks typically spend of fish extender gifts (per kid/cabin)?
FamilyofTerpFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #36
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyofTerpFans View Post
It's completely up to the person. We have recieved pirate tattoos which were really inexpensive but totally awesome on pirate night, and I have no idea what the most expensive thing would be, perhaps the embellished tote bag. It's all in the fun of it.
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #37
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNstl View Post
I'm glad to hear it. I'm in the middle of making a Light Card / Souvenir Magnet as our FE gift! Shhhh, don't tell those in my FE group. I found the blank cards on Amazon (if I had more time I would have collected old gift cards).

Did you order these printed or make labels? I have old gift cards I'd like to use but I don't know how to designs the graphics. These are perfect. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #38
TKNstl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark

Did you order these printed or make labels? I have old gift cards I'd like to use but I don't know how to designs the graphics. These are perfect. Thanks.
Thanks -I'm glad you like them. I designed and printed them myself on full sheet labels. I sent you a PM. I hope my FE group finds them useful - I got the idea from Disney Cruise Line Blog
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...ht-switch-tip/
TKNstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #39
TKNstl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia123
I'm doing embroidered tshirts with disney characters for the kids on my list!
That's such a nice gift! Do you have pics?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

I will after I hand them out on our July 7 cruise! I until then my photo book is sealed :-)
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #41
Donald & Daisy Duck
I even put ketchup on my tag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNstl View Post
I'm glad to hear it. I'm in the middle of making a Light Card / Souvenir Magnet as our FE gift! Shhhh, don't tell those in my FE group. I found the blank cards on Amazon (if I had more time I would have collected old gift cards).

I love these!! Would you be willing to send me a message on how you made them. These would be perfect for our adults only FE in August!!

Donald & Daisy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #42
tazztrav
Earning My Ears

to TKNstl:

I love this idea for the light cards! Do you mind sharing the file for printing? I have plenty of empty gift cards so this would be great.
tazztrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #43
SeattleSuz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I spent well over $200 on all my FE gifts.

Suz (40) DH-Matt (39) DD-Ariel (6)
SeattleSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #44
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:

It can vary greatly. If you are extremely creative and crafty, and you can buy some raw materials cheaply and make the gifts, you can probably get away with not spending too much and keep the costs down. If you are not creative or crafty at all (or simply don’t have the time), and you have to purchase all the gifts, it can get quite costly when all is said and done.

I’ll probably need my flame suit for this, but here goes anyway. I think we’re reaching a tricky point with the whole FE thing. Let me be clear with this though…I do believe, in general, that everyone’s hearts are in the right place with what they do. I don’t really think people are purposefully being ostentatious at all. However, it does seem that some of the gifts are becoming more and more elaborate (which usually means more expensive). I think the primary reason being that people just try to come up with unique ideas that haven’t been done before. I know it’s also nearly impossible to try to set any kind of limitations. It’s also human nature to not want to feel like the family who gave out the worst FE gifts. So, I believe many families probably use the best, most elaborate gifts they’ve received in the past as kind of the benchmark for what they will give out in the future. So it sort of becomes an “upward” spiral, if you will.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #45
TKNstl
Earning My Ears

Light Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald & Daisy Duck View Post
I love these!! Would you be willing to send me a message on how you made them. These would be perfect for our adults only FE in August!!
I tried several times to send you a PM and it wouldn't go through. Would you send me one and I'll just reply to it. Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: