DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
khanna
Mouseketeer

Are we crazy: Cash price for WL 2 Bedroom villa

I put this in my updated post on a thread on this page, but I thought I would post it here really quick. We are set to go end of April, pay cash price for 2 bedroom WL villa. Our guide is like (and I can see her point),that is soo much money--it could be your down payment on DVC!!

We are looking at 150 points, VGF home resort, they will convert April's WL stay to DVC if we buy. But then we have to finance about 24K. I almost just want to pay the 7K for the one trip and be done with it. Is that crazy??

October, 2009 BWI Deluxe-CL

September 4-8,2010-Bay Lake Tower, 2 bedroom villa Part of a grand gathering!

Next: April/May 2014: Staying Offsite: Windsor Hills, 8 nights!!! Our Debt Free celebration!!!! Thanks Dave Ramsey for the guidance!!
khanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
JohnDaleswife
Mouseketeer

Yes. Yes it is.

All Star Music
All Star Sports
Caribbean Beach Resort
Port Orleans-Riverside
Yatch Club

Next up, Coronado Springs Resort
JohnDaleswife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
mort1331
Mouseketeer

If its a one time trip then NO. But if you plan on going multiple years and at this level, then YES. Only you know that answer.
mort1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
khanna
Mouseketeer

THank you both. I think that is the thing we don't know--how often will we go and want to stay on site in a 2BR villa? We like staying offsite too. We also like to go to other parks and non disney vacations. When I think of paying the maintenance fee for 50 years....whoa. That adds up. Lots to think about.

Next: April/May 2014: Staying Offsite: Windsor Hills, 8 nights!!! Our Debt Free celebration!!!! Thanks Dave Ramsey for the guidance!!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
bellablue2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanna View Post
I put this in my updated post on a thread on this page, but I thought I would post it here really quick. We are set to go end of April, pay cash price for 2 bedroom WL villa. Our guide is like (and I can see her point),that is soo much money--it could be your down payment on DVC!!

We are looking at 150 points, VGF home resort, they will convert April's WL stay to DVC if we buy. But then we have to finance about 24K. I almost just want to pay the 7K for the one trip and be done with it. Is that crazy??
oh my...finance $24k, i'd say no in a hurry.

did you try to rent points for this trip...could you forget about this trip for awhile and put that cash rental payment toward a resale vwl contract. i feel quite certain you can get for something around $80/point with this year's points at a minimum, $12kish for 150 vwl contract.

think outside the box a bit and see if you can't come up with something better than the two options you see now.
bellablue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
THank you both. I think that is the thing we don't know--how often will we go and want to stay on site in a 2BR villa? We like staying offsite too. We also like to go to other parks and non disney vacations. When I think of paying the maintenance fee for 50 years....whoa. That adds up. Lots to think about.
Your signature says you just celebrated being debt free last spring. I don't think your next move should be to take on $24K worth of debt for a timeshare purchase. Perhaps take the $7,000 you were putting toward a cash trip and buy a resale contract.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
khanna
Mouseketeer

Thank you all. Yes, we are huge Dave Ramsey fans and went through Financial Peace. This is why I have such an internal conflict with DVC. I like the idea of DVC but then when you put the numbers on paper, ouch, unless we could save up and pay out of pocket. I am looking into renting points for our upcoming trip. We will see. Thank you again!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
cmrdgrs
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Thank you all. Yes, we are huge Dave Ramsey fans and went through Financial Peace. This is why I have such an internal conflict with DVC. I like the idea of DVC but then when you put the numbers on paper, ouch, unless we could save up and pay out of pocket. I am looking into renting points for our upcoming trip. We will see. Thank you again!
First of all congratulations on getting yourself out of debt! I know what a burden that lifts and how good that must feel

With that said, and this is JMHO, but if you have to finance, I would strongly encourage you to not buy in to DVC. All your savings is lost when you finance. Now, as other's suggested, a resale contract, that makes much more sense. But, either way you have to know that you are willing to use your DVC membership every year. Many people do (me being one of those people), but going to Disney annually is not for everyone. You don't sound all that convinced it is for you.

For this reason, my advice is don't get sucked in to the emotional decision to buy. Pay cash for your 2 bdrm stay, enjoy and know that you can walk away without a 50 year commitment. Dave Ramsey would tell you the same, I'm sure.

There are lots of options for renting either from a broker (like the board sponsor David's) or from a private owner if you want a harder to get resort like VGF, VGC or PVB.

Listen to your heart and to Dave Ramsey

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 01-20-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: clarification
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
I am looking into renting points for our upcoming trip. We will see.
Looking on a popular rental site I see that renting points costs $4900 for a 2 bedroom at VWL during your timeframe. That is significant savings over a cash reservation ($7000?) I have sticker shock!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
IMO, if you are not 100% sure that DVC is right for you, especially given that you would need to consider financing it, you are not at a point to buy.

Take time to learn about DVC and whether or not it is right for you. If you decide it may be something worth investing in (and I don't mean to use invest to mean investment), then you can take the time to look at all the options, including resale.

For example, those 150 points on the resale market would run you close to 12,000 vs 24,000 via Disney...that is a HUGE difference.

DVC is a long term commitment and you have to be sure before taking it on.

Good luck!!!

Sandisw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
cmrdgrs
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Looking on a popular rental site I see that renting points costs $4900 for a 2 bedroom at VWL during your timeframe. That is significant savings over a cash reservation ($7000?) I have sticker shock!
I definitely agree DizBub that OP might want to consider a DVC rental. There is still savings to be found if she can get her dates -- even at $14pp through a broker.

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
Just Peachy
Wait....what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Having just rented a 2BR for a week in July, I went through the prices from Disney Travel with suites and they were all $7K - $9.5K depending on the "theme and hotel". I rented from a DVC owner for $4300 for the same length of time.

Oh...and I did decide to purchase DVC re-sale but the contract did not close in time to get the premium location in July and I had to unload another property to buy DVC with cash. I looked at the cost to finance (even using Home Equity or 401K loans) but the cost didnít make sense if I only went to Disney every other year and took too long to pay back even with yearly visits with financing a Disney Direct buy.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
sweatandsteel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We are huge Dave Ramsey fans as well and have been through financial peace. We decided to buy 150 points at VGF in December because we love WDW and could have already paid for it with as many trips that we have taken. We financed ours but plan on paying it off quickly. We also got 2014 points with our August UY and were able to book a 1 bedroom at VGF in October! Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
cde48
Earning My Ears

Buy a resale. It will be a few thousand more than what you are paying for a week, and will have it for years to come.
cde48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 AM   #15
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:

I really don't see any sort of vacation habits that indicate DVC is a great product for you. Not going every year or two, willing to stay off site and needing to finance would lead me to a quick no, don't buy. Even if DVC seemed to make sense I wouldn't recommend buying direct from DVC at VGF unless you absolutely wanted to stay there all the time. You can get far greater value buying resale if you like to stay at different places.

I would however recommend looking at renting points for the times you do want to stay onsite in a 2BR villa.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: