Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
jessicalindb
Earning My Ears

Question Is there a Disney cruise line chart of activities and characters?

Is there a Disney cruise line rubric or chart of activities and characters?

My mother-in-law wants to take my family on a cruise next year, 2015, in celebration of her fight against breast cancer. The Disney travel agent asked the same question the website asked: where do you want to go? That is not really the question for my family. The question for us is: which combination of ship activities and shore activities will provide the best experience for my kids? I would like to reverse engineer our cruise planning.

I love charts and graphs and all visual depictions of information. Is there such a chart for the events and characters across the Disney fleet? If not, I will craft one. To accomplish this, I would like to gather information on the characters and themes aboard each ship. I would also like to know what characters and themes are a part of the various shore excursions. (ex: Does Merida welcome the horseback riding tour in Scotland? Does Jake visit the kids at Castaway Cay?)

My goal is to then see which ship and which destination combine to provide the most enjoyable experiences for my children. I welcome any and all feedback on ships and destinations. What I am primarily interested in:

M (boy 6yrs in 2015) – Avengers, Legos, dinosaurs (some Toy Story & Wall-E)
K (girl 3yrs in 2015) – music, dancing, Merida (Brave), Sophia the First
J (mother-in-law 68) – handicap accessible, sensitive to extreme temperatures
KC (husband 36) – Star Wars, good food, Legos
JL (me 36) – good food, good shows, good spa

Last edited by jessicalindb; 04-10-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
jessicalindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
FranciJo
Earning My Ears

Great questions! I'm curious to know the answers, too.
FranciJo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Cruise Line Board.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

My suggestion would be to go to this site http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/ and review Navigators from recent cruises. As far as I know, with the exception of the Alaskan cruise, I'm not aware of characters being part of any excursions.

I also just wanted to say, as a fellow breast cancer survivor, a Disney Cruise is a great way to celebrate after going through cancer treatment!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalindb View Post
Is there a Disney cruise line rubric or chart of activities and characters?

My mother-in-law wants to take my family on a cruise next year, 2015, in celebration of her fight against breast cancer. The Disney travel agent asked the same question the website asked: where do you want to go? That is not really the question for my family. The question for us is: which combination of ship activities and shore activities will provide the best experience for my kids? I would like to reverse engineer our cruise planning.

I love charts and graphs and all visual depictions of information. Is there such a chart for the events and characters across the Disney fleet? If not, I will craft one. To accomplish this, I would like to gather information on the characters and themes aboard each ship. I would also like to know what characters and themes are a part of the various shore excursions. (ex: Does Merida welcome the horseback riding tour in Scotland? Does Jake visit the kids at Castaway Cay?)

My goal is to then see which ship and which destination combine to provide the most enjoyable experiences for my children. I welcome any and all feedback on ships and destinations. What I am primarily interested in:

M (boy 6yrs in 2015) – Avengers, Legos, dinosaurs (some Toy Story & Wall-E)
K (girl 3yrs in 2015) – music, dancing, Merida (Brave), Sophia the First
J (mother-in-law 68) – handicap accessible, sensitive to extreme temperatures
KC (husband 36) – Star Wars, good food, Legos
JL (me 36) – good food, good shows, good spa
The only suggestion I have is to check out past cruise Navigators. They'll give you an idea of what sorts of things are offered on the cruises. As each cruise will be unique (basically) to itself, there's really no way to say for positive what will be offered on a future cruise.

Past Navigators:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
magiccutie
Earning My Ears

Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I agree with others who suggest checking out Navigators. There really isn't a master chart, and activities offered this year could potentially change, though many are relatively standard offerings.

Characters -- there's really no guarantee which characters, but you can expect the Fab 5 on any cruise. And at least a few princesses, though which ones may vary. There may or may not be others, any of which could change depending on staffing.

Activities -- the onboard activities are likely to be similar regardless of destination. Longer cruises with more days at-sea will obviously offer more varied activities, and/or multiple opportunities to participate in any given activity. Most cruises of 7+ nights with at least 2.5 days at sea on the Wonder or Magic will offer a character brunch; also a "Tea with..." Alice or Princess or someone. These are free. The Fantasy has a "Royal Tea" for little girls (with a big price tag). All 4 ships offer adult dining at Palo, dinner and possibly brunch; the Dream and Fantasy also offer adult dining at Remy, dinner and possibly brunch; adult dining carries an extra fee. Pirate Night and fireworks occur on all cruises except Alaska.

As for excursions and shore activities -- that will depend on the destination. Sometimes your destination will depend on what time of year you wish to cruise as well as how many nights.

One last note -- if your MIL requires an H/A stateroom, those can book up quickly. So you might want to make decisions sooner rather than later. Depending on her needs, there may be alternative rooms on the Dream and Fantasy that are similar to H/A, but for some reason do not carry the designation (primarily cat8A) -- these rooms also book early.

Congrats to MIL on conquering her cancer, and enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Chip and Dale were at Castaway Cay when we were there in 2011...

noahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
Chip and Dale were at Castaway Cay when we were there in 2011...
Yes, CC has character appearances just like on the ship, but they aren't part of excursions.

To the OP, things are fairly similar on the ships from the navigators I've looked at. Each ship does have its own set of shows, so you may want to look into those that interest you most. The Magic has the Marvel's Avenger Academy that no other ship has.

Personally, I'd base it on the shows and destinations, everything else is going to be decently similar, and could change between now and then anyways. And, IMO, longer is better!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I agree with Landjudy. What we have learned over the years is that there is no guarantee as to which characters you will see on a cruise. Sometimes they aren't feeling well, and princesses & the like are not replaceable on the ship, unlike in the parks. This means that if Sleeping Beauty isn't feeling well one week, she will not make any appearances. That actually happened on the 2008 EBPC 15-night cruise. Special cruises have additional characters, but those are as time permits and not necessarily cruise specific. Sometimes the appearances are based on who is in the current cast. Entertainment teams change every 6 months onboard. It would take a lot of time to compile something like you describe, but it wouldn't always be correct. That sounds like some of the spreadsheets I have heard about for park visits. I guess it is easier to keep uniformity in the parks? DCL just isn't like that.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, disney cruise, disney cruise line, disney cruising, legos

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: