Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #76
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great wrap-up, Pete.

I've always wondered about a cruise and whether it was worth the money. In my case, it's a moot point as I get so sea sick that I'm probably never going to willingly go on a cruise. So I was really interested to see your evaluation of it and to read your comments about what else you could be doing with your time/money.

I guess, like everything, it's all personal and up to individual tastes.

Thanks for sharing this one. Looking forward to your next vacay!
Well, our next vacay isn't even a Disney trip.We are heading for Myrtle Beach, South Carolina next month. I may post a few pictures in my PTR though.

One thing I think I learned from the experience, if cruising isn't your thing anyways, a Disney cruise isn't going to change your mind to it. They may be better than the average cruise, but they are still a cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
Good wrap up.

We will have to agree to disagree on the food. Based on comparing it to prior years on cruises, quality has gone way down for me. I heard this is the case on all lines (not just Disney). I just would have expected more from Disney- because the price I pay.

I also have to agree with you on the value of the cruise. We have done 3 trips. The first was in 2007 and was 'cheap' compared to nowadays. I was completely put off on that trip and said I'd be OK sticking to Carnival vs. Disney. It took 5 years and the pressure of family to book for the 2012 Dream. Which blew me away. It was night and day from our previous trip and prompted us to book onboard & save for the GIGANTIC increase in price. Seriously, HUGE. I don't even want to say what we paid for 5.

And this cruise,while it had it's great points, was NOT worth the price for me either. And I am left feeling the same as I did in 2007- ready to not book again... and go with another line (we do love to cruise).

I guess time will truly tell if we ever end up again on Disney..........
Well, we were on different ships, but it's funny that I always heard the Dream and Fantasy had much better food. I always pictured that the longer the cruise, the worse the food would be, simply because they don't replenish supplies. Imagine the last few days of those transatlantic cruises!

Didn't know it was THAT big a savings to rebook on-board. I probably wouldn't have done it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Great wrap up! The things you disliked about the cruising experience are some of the doubts I have as well. And right now, with Disney cruises being so expensive, we would have to do one instead of a World trip, not in addition to. I'm just not willing to do that right now! Especially, like you said, when you get so much more in WDW for less money than the cruise. But, I'm glad you had a good time, even if you don't have a burning passion for cruising after the trip!
If you ever want to do one, you should watch for the trips out of Galveston, TX. I don't know if they are still doing them, but I know they didn't sell great, and they frequently had deep discount rates.

I thought of your ABD trip, and I was going to make an analogy there as well. We actually spent a lot MORE on our ABD trip with just the two of us versus the cruise, and it was about the same length (6 days), but that one was WAY more worth that money in my view.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: