Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
newtexan
DIS Veteran

I'm not quite a jogger yet, but I need shoes.

I was scared by my last dr's visit that I must lose 25 lbs, lower my blood pressure by at least ten points, and lower my cholesterol by about 100 points before the end of the year or I have a stroke, whichever comes first, and oh yeah, lower my stress levels too. HA!

I started Lipitor. And I cried out for help. One of the moms at our bus stop is a marathon runner. I asked her how often she goes out, and if she ever walks. She asked why, i told her, and she jumped right on a training plan. To get me walking at least four days a week in May and June - then start the couch to 5k training in July.

She is a great coach. She encourages me, praises me, and sometimes pushes me. I have gone from not exercising for at least twelve years to walking three times a week at this point.

I am looking at either getting ASICS or REEBOK running shoes. Opinions please? (only about these two, they felt the best when I went to Dicks to try shoes, and have a mid-range product I can afford)

newtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtexan View Post
I was scared by my last dr's visit that I must lose 25 lbs, lower my blood pressure by at least ten points, and lower my cholesterol by about 100 points before the end of the year or I have a stroke, whichever comes first, and oh yeah, lower my stress levels too. HA!

I started Lipitor. And I cried out for help. One of the moms at our bus stop is a marathon runner. I asked her how often she goes out, and if she ever walks. She asked why, i told her, and she jumped right on a training plan. To get me walking at least four days a week in May and June - then start the couch to 5k training in July.

She is a great coach. She encourages me, praises me, and sometimes pushes me. I have gone from not exercising for at least twelve years to walking three times a week at this point.

I am looking at either getting ASICS or REEBOK running shoes. Opinions please? (only about these two, they felt the best when I went to Dicks to try shoes, and have a mid-range product I can afford)
Congratulations on your new healthy lifestyle!

I would urge you to go to your local running shoe store and get fitted by a professional. They are trained and will analyze your gait, make sure you are getting the right size. Having the right shoes will not only save your wallet but may save you from injuries that can occur from having the wrong shoe. Here is a link to information from Runner's World that may help you http://www.runnersworld.com/running-.../running-shoes

Good luck and have fun!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

There's also an amazon sale going on right now! You might want to check it out and see if there's something that would work for you. running shoes sale

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
marivigi
Mouseketeer

Of those two, I prefer Asics. They provide enough super with ample room for toes and dont hurt my knees.

I have the Kayano 19
marivigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
MrsHappilyEverAfter
Earning My Ears

I highly recommend Asics! I love mine. Keep checking for Kohl's coupons and sales. The pair I bought for my husband were reduced down to $28.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

I second the recommendation to get fitted at a running store before you buy anything. Having the right shoes will help a lot. Good luck!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: