Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #31
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Travel and port.....

It's time! This was taken right before boarding but ya know, it's vacation day!

I'll let you know that every photo with the exception of maybe 5 were taken with my iPhone. I brought the nice camera and had every intention of using it but really, it was cumbersome. The phone is smaller and easier and with just the two of us, it worked out much better. We took a lot of selfies.

Travel day: SLC to Fort Lauderdale airport. Woot woot, it's finally here, travel day! Our plan was to travel from SLC at 8 am with a quick plane change in Vegas and then to Fort Lauderdale landing at 4:50. Guess what? All flights were on time, crowded, and easy. I had been checking in on FB, looking at our meet group, and seeing all kinds of unfortunate layovers. I was feeling pretty blessed to have an easy travel day.

The morning started early with my oldest DD and her friend driving us to the airport at 5:30 am. If felt earlier than it sounds as I was up until late packing. The drive was easy and cold and we couldn't wait to get out of the chilly Utah air.

We arrived at the airport and were through security in no time. I got the pre-TSA screening, awesome, and they allowed Joshua to go through with me. Love speedy security lines.

First stop: Starbucks. Not that we weren't Starbucks junkies before but now that Gabby works there, we're fanatical. Still don't love their pastries aside from their lemon pound cake which is to die for. I was pretending that I was going to watch what I ate until the actual cruise. I blew it when we saw the Popeye's. why are their chicken and busy cuts so darn good?!

We look exhausted because we were. I always start vacations in total exhaustion mode. Is just the way it is.

Some gorgeous lake. I'm thinking Powell but I truly have no idea. Anyone know what lake is near Vegas? Lake Mead maybe?

And the only view of Vegas we'd get this trip.

We had an hour and 20 minutes to change planes which was plenty of time. We even had 15 minutes to charge apparatus.

Back in the air:

We landed on time and grabbed our bags. Our friends were picking us up from Fort Lauderdale, taking us to dinner, maybe a party, and then we were staying the night with them.

They were outside waiting for us when we landed. Amazing, it was so wonderful to see my friends and their children. It's been a few years.

Dinner was Indian which totally hit the spot. I apologize for the lack of pics from this evening but we were just so busy catching up. And honestly, I had about 3 hours sleep and wasn't fit for photos.

Our friends' neighbors were having an outdoor masquerade party and wanted to go. I kindly opted out but they really wanted me to go with them for a drink. I was pooped but it was hard to say no.....again. I was trying to mentally prepare for meeting a yardfull of folks I'd never met when it began to rain. And rain. And pour. Can you say Devine intervention? The party was cancelled. I know that makes me a party pooper but at least I'm an honest party pooper.

We spent a wonderful evening together catching up and celebrating my friend's DH's birthday with delicious wine and cake. The kids played and Joshua crashed out early. Early travel is exhausting. Sorry no photos.

I woke up about 7 am and jumped in the shower, got ready, and then Joshua did the same. Our friends woke up a little later. They made a lovely breakfast of which I was too excited to eat most of it. Here is a pic of the kids at breakfast. Sorry for the look on
Joshua's face. I told him that was the last funny face and from then on nothing but a smile or I was going to kick his aft. Kicking each others afts was a running joke of the trip.

With our luggage all tagged up it, we were eager to leave.

Our PAT wasn't until 11:30 and we wanted to go SO badly. Love spending time with our friends but we had a ship to see.

To burn some energy we took a little walk to the local liquor store. I needed to grab a bottle of rum and a corkscrew for one of my FB cruise meet friends.

Here a pic of our friends' neighborhood. Their area is gorgeous.

Us:

And a quickie of my friend and I. She so tall and just as gorgeous. I hate standing next to her. LOL! She's as sweet as she is beautiful. If you recognize her it's because she was a very famous Israeli supermodel. No really. Like the Cindy Crawford of Israel. She stunning both inside and out.

The next set of photos are on the way to the Port of Miami. It was already 75* and beautiful out. That rain cleared the air they said. Yay for the rain.

There was some giant music festival starting today:

The port!!!

And the first glance of this beauty:

We could have literally jumped out of the car and ran over we were just so happy. Thankfully we didn't because it would have been a long hot run.

As we are pulling up: this is supposed to be a pic of the boat and boarding area. That's the picture showing in Photobucket but the link must have an error. I have checked it 3 times. Strange.

Okay so this next part is a total blur. Once we were dropped off it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes before we were on the ship. It was a crazy fast experience. Like so fast. I snapped a few pics but really Disney is on their game and we didn't have a lot of standing time.

We gave the porter our four bags to check and were light and fancy free walking on the ship. I had a light bag with swimsuits, rum, IDs, and money. It was awesome traveling so light.

We checked in with Daniel, who was vey sweet, he gave us our info, told us a bunch of stuff of which I have zero recollection, and we were on our way.....

Boarding time:

And our first official Navigator. I can't tell you how happy I was to have this in my chubby little hand. I had been pouring over them online and couldn't wait to see them for our specific cruise.

Next up: it's Wonder time!!!! And our total score with cabin 7620. Wow, just wow.

To be continued.........

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 04-10-2014 at 04:52 AM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #32
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggonz9 View Post
Always love a new trip report! Looking forward to it! Great title too by the way.

and Thank you for joining in. I read the same reports over and over. Hopefully folks will enjoy this and maybe find it beneficial.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #33
maggonz9
Earning My Ears

Always love a new trip report! Looking forward to it! Great title too by the way.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #34
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Hmmm.....looks like there might be a little mis-match in post timing on the Dis again.

Great start! Love the look of the ship and I can't wait to see what you got up to.

Oh.....and I see TWO gorgeous supermodels in that picture.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #35
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Hmmm.....looks like there might be a little mis-match in post timing on the Dis again. Great start! Love the look of the ship and I can't wait to see what you got up to. Oh.....and I see TWO gorgeous supermodels in that picture.

Yeah, that post shows before and after. Odd.

Thanks friend for the nice words. The ship is stunning. So clean and vibrant. Disney knows what they're doing.

I promise not to drag this report out. I'm working on an update for my Disneyland one too....finally. I've been a slacker.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #36
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

What a great start! I am feeling a little jealous of your trip with just one child. My three are all internationally adopted, and while I love them to pieces, overnights away are just not an option right now. Maybe someday!

I have a request. At some point will you tell us whether you had early or late dining and how that worked out for you, especially in regards to the time change from SLC? We're from Phoenix, and our previous cruises were out of LA. I'm a little worried about early dining feeling REALLY early. Thinking I'll keep it though, knowing it would be easier to change to late later versus the other way around.

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #37
rentayenta

marciemouse, we absolutely loved late dining! I was leery about late at first and had originally booked early dining. After reading some and looking through some Navigators, late dining would be the way to go for us. Our all aboard times on our port days were 6 PM and 5 PM so dinner at 5:45 would have had us rushing. I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil the report but I would've been really bummed to miss out on some of the times we had between back on the ship and dinner time. It was really nice about 5 PM every day because the pools would clear out and it was very relaxing. Hope that helps you out. 3:45 for dinner would have just been too early and left too much time at night if that makes any sense.

One day you will get to experience those nights away. I have loved all the stages in my children's lives would be lying if I didn't say I love them having some independence. They also enjoy it.

Sorry for any typos right now, I am using Siri and she doesn't like me very much.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #38
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I still can't believe I'm home and it's all over. Loving the happy selfies, you guys are so cute!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #39
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I still can't believe I'm home and it's all over. Loving the happy selfies, you guys are so cute!

I know! How was your first day back at work?

Thanks girl. Such a good time. I can't wait to get to when you first met Joshua. I'm having the post cruise blues today.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #40
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I feel right at home, you're in our cabin and your early start and lack of sleep sound just like how our trips to Disney start.

Welcome aboard! We've enjoyed our time on the Wonder so I can't wait to hear about your first cruise.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #41
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Glad that you were able to post a link from your DL trip report so I can find it. I will be looking forward to reading your trip report on Wonder.

A very nice start to your trip report. I will look forward to reading more from your time on Wonder.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #42
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Next to my three children its about the most beautiful thing I've seen. You're cruising in 3 weeks? Awesome! What ports?
Yes, we will get on the Wonder on May 2nd for a 15 night Panama Canal cruise. Our ports are Key West; Cozumel; Cartagena; Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. We set sail from Miami and arrive into San Diego. The excitement is starting to get the better of me.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #43
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Great start to the trip report! I think this is going to be perfect to get me into the right mood for my cruise on the Wonder! Looking forward to many pictures of the beautiful ship!

I did the same itinerary last year as my first cruise and thought it was a perfect first cruise. Seems like you think so, too!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #44
lonestardawn
Earning My Ears

It's a great itinerary and I'd sail the exact same cruise again in heartbeat. Do you have plans for Cozumel yet?

I have been researching our options for Cozumel but haven't made any decisions yet. Our first cruise on the Wonder in 2013 was to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We did the Playa Mia Beach Break excursion. Their new water park for little ones was perfect with 2 toddlers. They will be 3 and 5 years old this coming trip so we are considering going back to Playa Mia, but I'm open to other options too.

I am so glad to hear you say that the Wonder is in great condition and being maintained that way. She was beautiful on our first voyage and I'm looking forward to sailing her again
Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #45
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I am here!!!!! I am hoping that with school winding down I can get back on the dis again

pooh'smate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: