Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

"You Can't Make Disney Your Permanent Residence." New 9/30 Once Upon a Christmas Time

I have been back from my last Disney trip for a really long time. Since December 14th to be precise, and I am just now starting this trip report. Which means this is almost 4 months late. That is ridiculousness! I know. But last night when I was wondering to myself if maybe I should just skip the trip report this time I knew I couldnít because I want to show everyone my pictures! I have a lot and I really like some of them. So I decided to start today, even if I have forgotten some details and the report does turn out to be more images than words. It might happen. On the other hand, I am very chatty so you never know.

So - My name is Shelly and I am addicted to Disney World. This last trip was my 5th, and I managed to stretch it for 16 days. Iím not even kidding.

I stayed in 3 resorts.
I visited every park and Downtown Disney.
I pin traded.
I ate so much food, with and without the dining plan.
I got sick.
I did not get drunk.
I had my first Dismeet.
I walked 147 miles.
I went to my first and second MVMCP.
I got 5 magic bands.
I stayed 16 magical days.
I took about 120gb of photos and video.

Everybody ready?
Then on with the showÖ

Introductions

Last edited by dawnmichele; 09-30-2014 at 05:54 PM.
dawnmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Index

Index of Posts

Let's get started.

Day One

Introductions - 4/7/14
Getting There - 4/8/14
I love the Animal Kingdom! - 4/9/14
The rest of the evening! - 4/12/14

Day Two

She loves the spaceman more! 5/20
What a magical dinner. 6/2
Princesses! 6/3
You never can tell with bees. 6/3
Closing down the park. 6/3

Day Three

Late start and lunch at Epcot 7/7
Meeting Belle in my Tardis tee and other things. 7/7
Night time and Illuminations FP+ photos. 7/8

Day Four

Morning Safari. 7/18
More Animals, Brunch and a Giant Tree. 7/18
The Magic of Camp Minnie Mickey. 7/19
In which I didn't defend anything. 7/24
No kiss goodnight. 7/24

Day Five

The bad part (with a happy ending). 7/24
Celebrate A Dream Come True. 7/26
Celebrate A Dream Come True - Part 2. 7/26
Holiday Royalty 7/28
Holiday Wishes and the start of the parade. 7/29
Once Upon a Christmas Time at Christmas. 7/30
The rest of the party. 8/5

Day Six:

Downtown Disney for the first time. 8/7
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. 8/8
Those lights! They're dancing! 8/8
Like After A Dementor Attack 8/10

Day Seven: 3 parks in 1 day

Friendship Day Brunch 8/11
Wildest Ride in the Wilderness 8/11
Mostly Animals 8/12
Gorillas are smart 8/15
Wrapping it up at Epcot 8/15

Day Eight: Hollywood nights
Kind of good at what they do. 8/15
Kansas City is important, people! - 8/16
First time at Fantasmic! - 8/18
On to Epcot. - 8/18
Goodnight Disney World. - 8/22

Day Nine: Brian and Adriane arrive
Epcot morning and my first Dismeet. - 8/27
Family dinner at 'Ohana. - 8/28
Fireworks from Bay Lake. - 8/29

Day Ten: Epcot all day
AoA and Epcot photos - 8/30
World Showcase is Gorgeous - 8/30
More Epcot Fun - 8/30
Pick a Pearl - 8/30
Teppan Edo - 8/30

Day Eleven: The day they left
Goodbye Family - 9/8
Those Princesses Though! - 9/12
New Fantasyland - 9/14
Two Meets in One - 9/15
Frontierland - 9/15
Mostly Castle Spam - 9/18
I love being your guest! - 9/18

Day Twelve: Epcot alone and my 2nd MVMCP
Gorgeous morning at Epcot. - 9/20
I took the boat to lunch. - 9/22
Volcano baked pizza. - 9/22
Another Very Merry party. - 9/29
Once Upon a Christmastime at Christmas. - 9/30

Day Thirteen: That day I took pictures at Animal Kingdom all day long
Day Fourteen: That night I went to Gasparilla Grill
Day Fifteen: AS Movies & out so late I almost turned into a pumpkin
Day Sixteen: The sad goodbye

Last edited by dawnmichele; 09-30-2014 at 05:53 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Meet the family.

Iím Shelly. Iím 47 and have now been to Disney World 5 times, although the first wasnít until I was 30. I love everything about a Disney vacation. Rides, characters, theming, food, people watching, resorts, photography, music, parades, fireworks -- I mean really, whatís not to like?

My favorite Disney movie is The Hunchback of Notre Dame, even though I agree itís themes are way too dark for a Disney movie. The music (by Stephen Schwartz, who also wrote Godspell and Pippin) is incredible and I always root for the underdog. Growing up I loved Aristocats and Bambi. I also kinda love 101 Dalmations. I think about the Twilight Bark all the time (when my dogs wonít stop barking to the neighborhood dogs). Merida is my favorite Princess, but I started to grow very fond of Snow White on this trip. Also, Buzz Lightyear is my boyfriend.

This is my daughter Hannah. She was 20 when we took this trip. She is studying animation and druing this trip she was seriously considering doing the College Program. She has also been to Disney 5 times. Her favorite Princess is Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire, but she grew up loving Ariel and Esmerelda. However, The Lion King trumps them all in her heart. Her favorite part about going to Disney World is the way it makes her feel like sheís 5 all over again. Oh, and she hates to have her picture taken.

This is Hannahís father, and my ex, Danny. We like to vacation together as a family, and Disney is his favorite place to vacation. I asked him if he had a favorite Princess. ďNone of the old ancient princesses like Cinderella.Ē which I found funny. Heíd pick Ariel, with Belle a close second. He loves 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This was his 7th trip to Disney World. His favorite part of Disney World is that he can use a scooter. He canít stand or walk for more than a few minutes, so thereís not many places he can have a fun vacation, but Disney makes it easy for him.

This is my awesome brother, Brian. I think he loves Disney even more than I do - heís certainly been a lot more than I have. I donít even know how many times but Iím sure itís in the double digits. He loves Walt Disney, the man and Disney the business. I think he said Jasmine is his favorite Princess, and his favorite thing to do in Disney World is walk around and soak it all in.

He's with his girlfriend Adrienne. Luckily she was already a Disney lover when she started dating my brother. Sheís been to the parks several times with and without him. She loves Lady and the Tramp, but I am sad to say I do not know her favorite Princess!

Somehow we only got in one PhotoPass session all together. There's probably a rule about how much goofiness can go on in one photo...

And with introductions out of the way, we can get on with our tale...

up next: Getting There

Last edited by dawnmichele; 07-25-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
BookTrout
Earning My Ears

Okay, you are officially my hero.....
BookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookTrout View Post
Okay, you are officially my hero.....
Well wow. Thanks! I am honored .
I hope you'll still think that when the report is done .

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Getting There

The drag part about writing the first and second dayís reports is that on the second day, I had a big fail with my SD card on day two and so have very few photos of those first couple days. It makes the story harder to remember and harder to tell, plus itís just such a big drag because the pictures are some of my favorite parts. So I wasnít as excited to tell these dayís stories. Theyíre good stories anyway though, so letís get started.

The getting there part is never very exciting, so Iím going to try to make it short. We woke up too early, loaded the car while it was still dark. We made our traditional stop for breakfast at McDonalds and I was in vacation mode.

At the airport they patted down my left ankle (weird), but things were otherwise uneventful. They've gotten so used to insulin pumps (Hannah has Type 1 Diabetes and Epilepsy, BTW) that it's never an issue anymore. We all found a seat and used our electronic devices to entertain ourselves until we boarded.

I posted this picture on Instagram.

Vacation is on!
[This font means it's something I posted on social media of some sort.]

I made a Vine as we were taking off. You can watch it here.

We headed straight for the Magical Express counter when we got off the plane. A CM met us at our first MM+ scanner of the trip. I didnít scan right away and she had to show me which part to touch to the Mickey scanner. Turned out it worked a lot better when I took my band off and turned it around. I never had a problem after that. We got in our line and waited for our turn to get on the bus.

We were staying in a Little Mermaid room at the Art of Animation. We had stayed there last December and loved it, so we were back. Danny went to find his scooter, Hannah went to watch the animator draw something and I went to the Check In. I wish I remembered the name of the guy who checked us in because he was great. We had some trouble when we made our reservations - for some reason we could get the first set of days, and then the second, but not all in one reservation. Weird. So I asked if we could keep the same room through both reservations and he did some magic on the computer for us. While he was waiting on some thing, I was telling him about my whole trip and how I was getting to stay for 16 days. A little later when he was asking me for my home address he said ď16 days is great, but you canít make Disney your permanent address.Ē

Which right away seemed like a great title for this trip report.

Our groceries from wegoshop werenít there yet, but I wasnít too worried. We all met up and made our way to our room. Itís a long walk, but an interesting one. I couldnít help but notice how much the greenery had filled in since last year. It looked even better.

We were almost all the way back, the last room on the 3rd floor of building 9. We had a great view.

We put our stuff away, packed our park bag and headed out!

Up Next: I love the Animal Kingdom!

Last edited by dawnmichele; 07-25-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Batgirl67
Mouseketeer

Luv how the family vacations together!
Luv, luv your selfie!

Look forward to more!

Cheers!
Lisa
Batgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We got the same shirt for our vacation and all four of us wore it the same day. We got a lot of interest in it. I have been back for less than a month and for some reason I am missing Disney more now than I have after any trip before. My solution is read lots of trip reports until I go again. I have never written a trip report but my daughter has just started one and is doing a great job, so I might try one for our next trip.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
sue_88
DIS veteran

They patted your ankle??

Hi!! I was still hoping that you would do a report. I look forward to your humor and your photos!

My first trip report. In progress!
Let's Start with Art!! A November 2013 Trip Report
[/URL]
sue_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

I love the Animal Kingdom!

When we checked in, our nice CM told me we could upgrade our 10 day tickets to Annual Passes with the concierge there at the AoA. But after we waited a kinda long time for the concierge, she told us we could not. Oh well. We headed off to the Animal Kingdom knowing we could at Guest Services there.

As soon as we got there we headed to Guest Services to do the upgrade and to purchase a Tables in Wonderland card. That whole mess took about 40 minutes which was really hard to wait through patiently since we were finally there and at a park and ready to go! But we waited, and we were patient, and eventually we left that place with 3 Annual Passes and a TiW card.

Awesome.

The park seemed really crowded.

We made our way to Dinosaur! and pulled paper FPs for a little later. Iím sure I took pictures, but they were part of the lost photos. So sad

We were starving at that point. Hannah had grabbed a snack at the resort because she was smart. It seems like the food on the first day is always a problem. We eat breakfast before sunrise, and then nothing for a lot of hours while we travel, and ride the ME, and check in, and get to a parkÖ In the future I need to plan that better. For this next trip, Iíve planned that as soon as we check in at Jambo House, we head to the Mara for some kind of noms.

So we were wandering around the AK, starving and looking for a little something to eat. We had early dinner reservations at Yak & Yeti so we didnít want to eat too much. All we could find was ice cream. Seriously. We walked all over and every place we saw was selling ice cream, but we really wanted something savory and of more substance.

Eventually we were close to Flame Tree, so we headed there for some french fries and onion rings to split between all of us. We found a gorgeous place to sit. The food hit the spot, but man was it greasy.

Flame Tree was the only place I almost had a problem with my Magic Band. It was declined when I tried to use it to pay. So I pulled out my ďbackupĒ KTTW card, and it wouldnít work either. And then the CM remembered that sometimes the scanner I was trying to use would stop working. She grabbed the one from the other side and my band worked right away. Awesome.

Oh I forgot to tell this about the check-in. When the CM game me our Keys to the World card, I said ďAre these for backup?Ē. He laughed a little and said ďWell, we donít like to use the word backupÖĒ I bet they don't, but thatís exactly what they were for.

After our snack, it was our FP window at Dinosaur! so we headed back. We saw Goofy and Pluto on the way. One of the many, many things I love about Disney is just seeing Disney characters when youíre walking around. Oh, thereís Pluto and Santa Goofy. No big deal.

We all love Dino so it was a great one to start out with. Right after we got off the ride though, Hannah realized she left her wallet in our ride vehicle. Yikes! She rushed back and told the CM - luckily our car hadnít taken off for itís next adventure and it was still there in the little basket where you put your stuff on the ride. Schwew. That was a close one!

Some sights as we headed back towards dinner:

I know this Dinosaur doesnít get as much love as Gertie at HS, but I find it charming. Does it have a name (or a gender)?

Animal Kingdom is so photogenic! Sorry/not sorry I had to take so many photos.

Up Next: The rest of our evening.

Last edited by dawnmichele; 07-25-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
BOG Obsessed
Foodie & Disney Lover= Pure Bliss

Hi Shelley
Following along on your TR, glad you've decided to follow through with writing it.

"The park seemed really crowded"......wow can't believe the crowds at AK that day. We were there on Christmas Day and it didn't seem nearly that bad. First hour and a half was walk-on for all the major rides.

Can't wait to read on...
BOG Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl67 View Post
Luv how the family vacations together!
Luv, luv your selfie!

Look forward to more!

Cheers!
Lisa

Thank you so much! It's not always easy - we broke up for a reason and there's no time I remember that as much as 4 or 5 days into a vacation together! But we broke up because we were just incompatible, not because either one of us did anything really crappy to each other. And we've both always felt like the best thing for Hannah was to still let her have as much of a regular "family life" as possible even though we weren't together in that way before. She's grown now (she turns 21 in 5 days!) and I know she's really appreciated the times we've made to give her family time. I know it's not for everyone, but I am always grateful we've been able to make it work.

And thanks about my selfie! I was hoping it captured the overwhelming sense of excitement that you get right before heading out to a Disney park for the first time of your trip! Plus the pigtails - that's my signal that I have removed myself from real life and am ready to PLAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfanforlife View Post
We got the same shirt for our vacation and all four of us wore it the same day. We got a lot of interest in it. I have been back for less than a month and for some reason I am missing Disney more now than I have after any trip before. My solution is read lots of trip reports until I go again. I have never written a trip report but my daughter has just started one and is doing a great job, so I might try one for our next trip.
I love that shirt! Hannah and I both have one, but Danny declined because he thought it was too "rude". Which is weird because he has a shirt he wears that says something like "No need to repeat yourself, I wasn't listening in the first place." I don't think they're rude - just honest!

Reading trip reports is the next best thing to going, I think. Sometimes I turn into an absolute trip report junkie and can't get enough. You should definitely try one for your next trip. It's a lot of work, but it gives you a chance to relive your vacation, and it gives you a great record of all the fun you had!!

Thanks for following along guys, and thanks so much for your sweet replies!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Your trip and your group definitely sound fun! Can't wait to read more!
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue_88 View Post
They patted your ankle??

Hi!! I was still hoping that you would do a report. I look forward to your humor and your photos!

Thank you so much!! That is so nice of you to say, I appreciate it so much

And yes, my ankle.
I had to go through the body scanner, and when I came out the male TSA guy asked me to step to the side. Then a lady TSA came over and said "I'm going to pat down your left ankle. Any sore or tender spots?" I don't know if that's what they have to ask or if she was nice. But I didn't have any tender spots, so she patted my ankle and then sent me on my way.

It was really weird, but whatever it takes to get to Disney World!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: