Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #121
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Thursday December 5, 2013 Continued:

Katie decided to do Alice next. We both look forward to that ride every time we visit DL. They don't have one at WDW, and it's a Disney classic. The line was short, and the ride was fun, even if my photography stunk. I still have not gotten a decent dark shot on this ride. I guess there's always next time? Here's the closest I got. I figured we'd make it back again sometime over our next 4 days, but we never did.

IMG_3655 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3670 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3683 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

The Teacups were the next logical choice. And I was ready to do them. I'm lucky not to be bothered with motion sickness and do love to spin. And I love the setup at DL better than the one at WDW. I love riding out in the open air with lanterns strung from the trees. I really like getting creative with my photography on this ride with all the motion, but ended up with too much glare in most of my shots. I need to come back with my tripod and shoot this at night next time.

First the fake teacup:

IMG_3692 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Then on to the real thing:

IMG_3695 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3741 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3751 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3761 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We still needed to pick up our Photopass Plus lanyard, so headed back toward Main Street. I got distracted though when I spotted Peter Pan greeting guests right in the middle of the sidewalk! I really wanted to add some new signatures to Katie's book, so suggested we stop. I held our spot in the very slow line while Katie ran back to buy her first churro (of many) on this trip. Fortunately, while the line was inching along..... Captain Hook decided to join Peter, so we got our first 2 new signatures of the trip.

IMG_3789 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3792 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3795 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3796 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We stopped for photos in front of the castle before heading down Main Street to the Photo Shop.

IMG_3800 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3802 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

There were only a couple people ahead of us in the photo shop, but it took forever. Katie took the opportunity to shop in the attached stores. We worked our way through the shops and came out down near the hub.

IMG_3807 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

It was around 10:15 when we finished up there, so time to head over to Adventureland.

IMG_3809 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Our ADR at Blue Bayou was at 11:30 but I wanted to check in early to see if we could get a waterside table. I also wanted to ride Indy, or at least pick up fastpasses. No luck with that, as we discovered the ride was down when we walked past. And apparently they don't distribute fastpasses when it's down, so we had to try and remember to try again later. So off to Pirates we went, to take a trip through the ride ahead of lunch. Katie anticipated that big dip she remembered on the ride on our last trip. It's funny but that dip was so small that Katie kept thinking it was still coming. Katie enjoyed seeing the restaurant from our Pirates boat, and picked out a nice waterside table she wanted to sit at.

IMG_3825 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3831 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3842 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3851 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3858 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3879 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3882 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3884 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3895 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #122
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post

See what a nice box they had years ago? I went ahead and made a reservation for the 9 PM show, but I hate the thought of getting there two hours ahead of time to get a good $60 seat! It's just me, so I only have to pay for one, and I figure I'll enjoy sitting -- it'll be midnight my time.

I also debated making a World of Color meal reservation, but went ahead and did that, too. I wanted to try Carthay Circle and that's one of the options. It's just such different thinking than planning for Disney World. (My husband and I went to Aulani in February for my birthday, but I miss my annual solo trip to Disney World. I hope I don't come home from Disneyland still thinking I need to go to Disney World to get my life back in balance )

What is the hold Disney has over us?
That is very cool. I really wish we had one of those as a keepsake.

It sounds like you're struggling with the same decisions I did leading up to our trip. And the sad part is I'm struggling with them again leading up to this year's trip!

I will say though that we consider WDW our home resort. But we didn't leave feeling we had missed out. Or we never would have chosen to skip WDW again this year in favor of DLR. I am starting to get a little twitchy to get back East again though. I figure they'll have all the buts worked out of FP+ by 2015 and the coast will be clear to head back.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #123
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Funny you should say that about home resorts. After a decade or more of WDW we finally went to DL back in 2007 and now DL has become my home resort. I love it so much. I still love WDW very much and it has been pulling me back hard this year. My wife and I still have plane tickets and could go either direction this fall. Free Dining and the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster or back to Disneyland with Steakhouse 55 and Walt's Apartment. What to do? As much as I might regret saying this but how cool would it be to get some magic bands in the mail at my house!?!?!?!

Great pics inside Pirates btw and I personally loved your Mad Tea Party spinning shots.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #124
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Funny you should say that about home resorts. After a decade or more of WDW we finally went to DL back in 2007 and now DL has become my home resort. I love it so much. I still love WDW very much and it has been pulling me back hard this year. My wife and I still have plane tickets and could go either direction this fall. Free Dining and the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster or back to Disneyland with Steakhouse 55 and Walt's Apartment. What to do? As much as I might regret saying this but how cool would it be to get some magic bands in the mail at my house!?!?!?!

Great pics inside Pirates btw and I personally loved your Mad Tea Party spinning shots.
I think it makes a big difference which resort you start off with. We visited WDW 4 times before we ever got to DLR. And being smack dab in the center of the country, I'm not surprised that I could consider WDW my home resort while you would say DLR.

I do have to say though that I did have a bit of a twinge of regret when free dining was released and will have another one when the Mine Train FINALLY opens to the public. Although I can safely say I happy not to have Magic Bands headed our way. I want one more shot at legacy FP.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I used my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens in there and still had to push the ISO higher than I like. I'm considering the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 before out next trip. It would be fun to get a wider perspective on some of those dark rides.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #125
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I think it makes a big difference which resort you start off with. We visited WDW 4 times before we ever got to DLR. And being smack dab in the center of the country, I'm not surprised that I could consider WDW my home resort while you would say DLR.

I do have to say though that I did have a bit of a twinge of regret when free dining was released and will have another one when the Mine Train FINALLY opens to the public. Although I can safely say I happy not to have Magic Bands headed our way. I want one more shot at legacy FP.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I used my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens in there and still had to push the ISO higher than I like. I'm considering the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 before out next trip. It would be fun to get a wider perspective on some of those dark rides.
I will always love Port Orleans Riverside and consider that my home Disney Hotel. I've stayed at other properties both moderate and on the upper end but just absolutely love Riverside. I will always love the resort style and so many choices at WDW as being the thing that brings me back each time. Well that and Splash Mountain at WDW.

But there is something about the original and the nostalgia that gives me goosebumps everytime I walk into Walt's park. I just think Disneyland is the perfect park. That and California has so much to offer. The Hotel Del Coronado is our family's favorite non disney hotel. It's something Florida will never compete with. Mountains, National Parks, and the gorgeous blue Pacific. Oh my. I'm glad we have two great resorts!!! They balance each other very well.

I'm excited for you with that possible choice in lenses. Have you ever shot with it before?

I've always considered you as an inspiration for photography. You take such amazing shots and your love of family makes the photos that much more brilliant. When you do your trip report for your Southwest Trip (and you better do one!!!) please keep us all in the loop!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #126
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Nice to see your latest updates. Your pictures of PotC are very nice and clear. I will have to try a f/1.4 lens one day for the dark rides. I have heard a lot of great stuff about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens and I will have to think about trying it one day.

Great update.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #127
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Lovely pictures in Pirates. Those pictures at the teacups will be great flashbacks for your next trip.

DLR is my 'home' resort. I know that there are more experiences and a whole Disney bubble to stay in at WDW, but DLR will always be where I wanna be.

That 18 - 35 mm has me thinking as well. If it weren't for the ridiculously short zoom, I'd be out there doing a purchase faster than it takes to scan a magic band!

Although......now that I think about it. I spent the bulk of my September holiday last year with the 10 - 22 mm on my camera because the 17 - 55 stopped working. Hmmm.....I need to think about it some more. Now...to convince DH that I "need" another lens.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #128
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I will always love Port Orleans Riverside and consider that my home Disney Hotel. I've stayed at other properties both moderate and on the upper end but just absolutely love Riverside. I will always love the resort style and so many choices at WDW as being the thing that brings me back each time. Well that and Splash Mountain at WDW.

But there is something about the original and the nostalgia that gives me goosebumps everytime I walk into Walt's park. I just think Disneyland is the perfect park. That and California has so much to offer. The Hotel Del Coronado is our family's favorite non disney hotel. It's something Florida will never compete with. Mountains, National Parks, and the gorgeous blue Pacific. Oh my. I'm glad we have two great resorts!!! They balance each other very well.

I'm excited for you with that possible choice in lenses. Have you ever shot with it before?
I would love to stay at Riverside sometime. We really need to branch out and try some different resorts.

I'm drawn to Cinderella's Castle and eating at CRT. I think that the heart and soul of WDW to me. I could easily visit WDW and do the MK every single day and not spend too much time worrying about what I had missed.

I have not tried out that lens yet. I checked a while back and didn't find it for rent anywhere, although maybe that's changed. But I'm too cheap to rent it first then buy it. It really has gotten such great reviews though, I'm sure I would love it. I love low light photography at Disney. And I love to shoot wide at Disney. But up to now, I have not been able to shoot wide AND low light together. I could have a lot of fun with that lens. More than anything though, it would be something new and different after shooting the same things in the same way for so many trips.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #129
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Really great pictures! The colors are so vibrant.
Looking forward to seeing more
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #130
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Nice to see your latest updates. Your pictures of PotC are very nice and clear. I will have to try a f/1.4 lens one day for the dark rides. I have heard a lot of great stuff about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens and I will have to think about trying it one day.

Great update.
Thanks Bret! If I didn't have the 30mm lens already, I'd probably be thinking of just going straight to the 18-35. But as I said, I haven't laid hands on that 18-35 yet, so I'd hate to start off with advice already! I've just heard so many good reviews, and I love the idea of that wider range. It's obviously a lot bigger than the 30mm lens too, so that is a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Lovely pictures in Pirates. Those pictures at the teacups will be great flashbacks for your next trip.

DLR is my 'home' resort. I know that there are more experiences and a whole Disney bubble to stay in at WDW, but DLR will always be where I wanna be.

That 18 - 35 mm has me thinking as well. If it weren't for the ridiculously short zoom, I'd be out there doing a purchase faster than it takes to scan a magic band!

Although......now that I think about it. I spent the bulk of my September holiday last year with the 10 - 22 mm on my camera because the 17 - 55 stopped working. Hmmm.....I need to think about it some more. Now...to convince DH that I "need" another lens.
Thanks PIO! And thanks for the idea. I could do a flashback on the Teacups already. In fact, as I posted the shot in the fake Teacup, I was thinking I should pull out the shots from there when it was painted gold on our 05 trip.

Faster than it takes to scan a magic band? I had reservations about that short zoom length too. But I honestly just want to go wider with a fast lens. I've been frustrated with that for some time. Does anyone make a wide fast prime for Canon? I mean, wider than the 30mm I have?

And 18-35 is a ridiculously short zoom? You must not have the Tokina 11-16? Now THAT is a crazy short zoom. Sort of makes me giggle sometimes.

And your 17-55 stopped working at Disney? That would make me very sad. Almost as sad as the time my entire DLSR stopped working at DL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Really great pictures! The colors are so vibrant.
Looking forward to seeing more
Thanks so much ArwenMarie! So glad you hung in there with me. I'll try not to take as long on the next update.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #131
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Thanks PIO! And thanks for the idea. I could do a flashback on the Teacups already. In fact, as I posted the shot in the fake Teacup, I was thinking I should pull out the shots from there when it was painted gold on our 05 trip.

Faster than it takes to scan a magic band? I had reservations about that short zoom length too. But I honestly just want to go wider with a fast lens. I've been frustrated with that for some time. Does anyone make a wide fast prime for Canon? I mean, wider than the 30mm I have?
Apparently Sigma has this wonderful new 18 - 35 mm f/1.8 lens.
Seemingly good to use "now" and the immediate future. We'll have to see how it holds up for a longer term.

There really is something to be said for immediate gratification and not worrying about the future, isn't there?

Quote:
And 18-35 is a ridiculously short zoom? You must not have the Tokina 11-16? Now THAT is a crazy short zoom. Sort of makes me giggle sometimes.
Lenses are/were crazy expensive in Australia. So on one of my trips to the US, I was going to buy the Tokina but no one had it in stock. So I ended up getting the Canon 10 - 22 mm instead. I still think about that Tokina lens.

Quote:
And your 17-55 stopped working at Disney? That would make me very sad. Almost as sad as the time my entire DLSR stopped working at DL!

Your entire DSLR stopped working????? I'm hyperventilating here.

I went to both DLR and WDW in Sep/Oct last year and had a Four Corners road trip in between. The 17 - 55 mm made it through DLR and stopped working when I got to Sedona. That was on day 6 of a 26 day vacation.

Just as well I had the 10 - 22 mm in the bag and I threw in the 50 mm f/.18 at the very last minute. Literally. I was walking out the door to get to the airport and had taken the 50 mm lens out the night before. As I did one final house check, I saw the lens on the dining table and decided to pop it back into the bag. So glad I did so. My dark ride shots at WDW are a lot tighter than I like; but I did get to shoot them.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #132
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

The tea cups certainly do feel different at DL vs WDW!

Wow how awesome to meet Captain Hook & Peter together! The Matterhorn in the background is an awesome touch too!

Love the picture of you two in front of the castle.

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13 - MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13

missangelalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #133
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Apparently Sigma has this wonderful new 18 - 35 mm f/1.8 lens.
Seemingly good to use "now" and the immediate future. We'll have to see how it holds up for a longer term.

There really is something to be said for immediate gratification and not worrying about the future, isn't there?

Lenses are/were crazy expensive in Australia. So on one of my trips to the US, I was going to buy the Tokina but no one had it in stock. So I ended up getting the Canon 10 - 22 mm instead. I still think about that Tokina lens.

Your entire DSLR stopped working????? I'm hyperventilating here.

I went to both DLR and WDW in Sep/Oct last year and had a Four Corners road trip in between. The 17 - 55 mm made it through DLR and stopped working when I got to Sedona. That was on day 6 of a 26 day vacation.

Just as well I had the 10 - 22 mm in the bag and I threw in the 50 mm f/.18 at the very last minute. Literally. I was walking out the door to get to the airport and had taken the 50 mm lens out the night before. As I did one final house check, I saw the lens on the dining table and decided to pop it back into the bag. So glad I did so. My dark ride shots at WDW are a lot tighter than I like; but I did get to shoot them.
Ah, I do remember how hard it was to find that Tokina initially. When I bought my first one, I had to just order it, then wait for it to come in and be shipped. But a couple years later I decided I'd rather have the Canon. I thought that little bit of extra reach might encourage me to keep it on the camera more often, rather than just put it on occasionally for a specific task. But then I missed the 2.8. So I sold it and bought the Tokina back again! The truth is that they are both great lenses.

My DSLR died on our 2007 trip. Back then I always carried a point and shoot camera too, so was very happy to have that as a backup. But we were driving into the southwest after DL, so I was REALLY sorry not to have my DSLR. We hiked up to a great vantage point in Zion, and there I was with that tiny point and shoot. I felt like I needed a button that said "My other camera is a DSLR". I would have stopped and bought a new DSLR, but I had an extended warranty on the other one and needed to wait until I got home to sort out the details. So we drove home to Missouri....... when I was then instructed to ship the camera to a service center in southern California! Thankfully they ended up just replacing it.

So you see I can definitely feel your pain losing your workhorse lens on day 6 of a 26 day trip through the most beautiful scenery on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
The tea cups certainly do feel different at DL vs WDW!

Wow how awesome to meet Captain Hook & Peter together! The Matterhorn in the background is an awesome touch too!

Love the picture of you two in front of the castle.
Thanks! We love the Teacups in both places, but I love the photos more at DL. It's just so perfect to have those lanterns hanging out in the open, with the Matterhorn off in the distance.

And Captain Hook and Peter Pan were a fun find. We hadn't done photos with them in several years. I also loved the Matterhorn in the background. I guess I can't ride it any more, but it sure adds a lot to the photos!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #134
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

Love your update...I love looking at others pics dreaming of the day we finally get to go back....In a week and 2 days I will be able to make our first dinning reservation

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #135
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post

See what a nice box they had years ago? I went ahead and made a reservation for the 9 PM show, but I hate the thought of getting there two hours ahead of time to get a good $60 seat! It's just me, so I only have to pay for one, and I figure I'll enjoy sitting -- it'll be midnight my time.

I also debated making a World of Color meal reservation, but went ahead and did that, too. I wanted to try Carthay Circle and that's one of the options. It's just such different thinking than planning for Disney World. (My husband and I went to Aulani in February for my birthday, but I miss my annual solo trip to Disney World. I hope I don't come home from Disneyland still thinking I need to go to Disney World to get my life back in balance )

What is the hold Disney has over us?

I got that box from my Disneyland trip in 2003. I wish I would have kept it!

Disneyland- June 2003-CL at Disneyland Hotel
WDW - March 2013 - Shades of Green
Planning for November 2015...going through the exciting process of picking a resort

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!
deannaf87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: