Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #76
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your TR. Katie is adorable and your boys are cute too! I think I'm changing our trip from WDW to DL this Sept. So I'm anxious to hear about your trip We've never been to DL before. Thanks for sharing.
Joan
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #77
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin all the photos from Goofy's kitchen! Character selfies sounds like a fun idea
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #78
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Love the pictures of the kids at Goofy's Kitchen. You know....as I was looking at the flashbacks, I realised that those characters can be used a measuring yardsticks! Your DD grew significantly taller in 2006 and 2007 when you look at where she stands against Pluto.

FP+ worked pretty smoothly for me in Oct last year (pre-tiering). Except for the last day and the system not being able to show ticket stacking (the CM could see my normal park ticket but not the MNSSHP ticket and I had to clear that up at Guest Relations), we pretty much had every booking recognised by the scanners.
My gripes came down to us being limited to 3 (we're a commando family and we would average about 8 - 10 FP- on the old system) and not being able to select FP+ for multiple parks (we tend to park hop). I'm glad to see that Disney is fixing both of these.

And no....you're not cheating. Much as I like WDW, DLR is the Disney destination of my heart. I definitely prefer DLR to WDW.
Ha Ha! Goofy as a measuring stick! It seems to work well though. I sure noticed the difference with Alice. Katie might even be too tall to play her in the parks now.

We have spent more time at WDW than DLR and probably consider WDW our "home" resort. But DLR is the park I love the most. MK just seems to be missing out on so much once you've been to DL. I think it's a little better now with the Fantasyland expansion, but it still comes up a little short overall in my opinion.

I'm sort of holding back on my opinion of the announced changes to FP+ until I hear some real world reports back from the parks. Just in the last couple days people have said they were told they could schedule a 4th FP after using their other 3, but would have to wait through the kiosk line. Most of them didn't bother getting in line since the line there was as long as the line to the attraction they wanted to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
They all look so cute!!!!AWWWW! I have that dress in the first picture!...Well Claire does
LOL, I thought you might like that dress. It seems a lifetime ago Katie was wearing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
I think the tree is beautiful!

Great character pics at Goofy's Kitchen! And love all the flashback photos as well

I Love the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family so I think that was a great way to end your night!
I really loved having the 25 days of Christmas on while we were there. It was part of our Disney Christmas bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
Deal!

Btw, just to echo the other PP's: your photos are top notch. The one of Katie on the cover page of the autograph book- that's the one in a 1000 captures we parents spend all of that time hoping to get--- really special
Thanks clsteve!

I love that photo of Katie too. I still remember taking it. We were in Adventureland waiting to meet Jasmine and Aladdin for the first time ever. She was just passing the time waiting for them to come out. Flashback to December 2004:

A First Meeting with Jasmine and Aladdin by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Super cute flashback pictures. I like how you said the boys were still playing along then Now that we went to Universal, I think my son has found his "home"...now how to get him back to Disney!

I have never been to Sanibel, I will have to work that into a trip soon!
Thanks ArwenMarie! It's fun digging up some of the old photos. And it forces me to upload them to Flickr to post, giving me another backup.

We haven't been to Universal in a while, but are really considering giving it some love soon. How old is your son?

I'm sure he'd love Sanibel. My 3 kids seldom agree on ANYTHING! But they do all love Sanibel.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #79
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks ArwenMarie! It's fun digging up some of the old photos. And it forces me to upload them to Flickr to post, giving me another backup.

We haven't been to Universal in a while, but are really considering giving it some love soon. How old is your son?

I'm sure he'd love Sanibel. My 3 kids seldom agree on ANYTHING! But they do all love Sanibel.
Always good to keep up with the backups!

DS is 12 and I have a DD who is 8. Universal is great in its own way. With the Express Pass, it's just plain fun.

I am going to have work Sanibel in next year. I've never been to a Gulf Coast beach.

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 04-19-2014 at 02:41 PM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #80
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
I'm so glad for two things:

That you shared the past GK photos because seeing others kids grow up too makes me feel oddly less sad about mine doing so and wondering where time went. And seeing the little happy faces that look much older now is just fun anyway. Cute, cute, cute. Like mini-me's! Apostrophe is prob wrong but mes looks weird!

And that even more people are now seeing your fab Sanibel TR and photos, my daughter Sydney LOVED all the sealife you captured and instantly wanted to go there. She was so excited to book and do the Lido Key kayaking trip (inland waterway, minimal current, low wind- easy for most part). Someday we will get farther south to see for ourselves.

But for now I will dream of heading west to DLR in the summer or fall... And enjoy your report and tips!

Sydnerella's Mama
I spend a lot of time on our vacations taking photos. I love being able to go back later and relive some of those moments.

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed seeing the sealife we captured. It seems like each trip to Sanibel takes on its own character. This last trip was certainly our best, because of the tropical storm.

Another trip that comes to mind was in March 2007. They had just experienced a red tide and this is how we found our typically pristine beach:

Red Tide by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Piles of Seashells by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Along with all that muck came piles of seashells to sift through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
We totally use characters as measuring sticks. I can see how many Tigger-stripes DD has grown each time because we try to take the same photo each trip! And now our DS17 is taller than Tigger!

PHXscuba
LOL on measuring against Tigger's stripes.

I hope you scrapbook and can do a page with all those photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Enjoying your TR. Katie is adorable and your boys are cute too! I think I'm changing our trip from WDW to DL this Sept. So I'm anxious to hear about your trip We've never been to DL before. Thanks for sharing.
Joan
Hi Joan!

Everyone should visit Walt's original park at least once. I hope you have a great time. I promise I have park photos almost ready to go. Lots of DL knowledge around over here, so ask away if you have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin all the photos from Goofy's kitchen! Character selfies sounds like a fun idea
That wasn't even my favorite selfie. That one's still to come. It wasn't exactly with a character.......
Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #81
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Always good to keep up with the backups!

DS is 12 and I have a DD who is 8. Universal is great in its own way. With the Express Pass, it's just plain fun.

I am going to have work Sanibel in next year. I've never been to a Gulf Coast beach.
We used the express pass in 2004 and loved it so much I vowed to never do US again without it. Then Disney did such a good job getting us to stay onsite we haven't been back. But we're really reevaluating all of that these days. Especially now that Katie is 13 and finally enjoying ALL the thrill rides.

Sanibel is a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive from Orlando. There are much closer beaches. But it's really worth it to us.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #82
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Janet-

Oh my! This is the cutest one EVER!!!!

I am in denial still about all the FP+ hoopla. We'll be testing it out at DHS in 2 weeks and I am trying to keep an open mind....trying. And then we are definitely heading to WDW in November this year for the rest of the parks. I hope by then things have calmed down and it is easy to obtain more than 3 FP.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #83
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by czmom View Post
Janet-

Oh my! This is the cutest one EVER!!!!

I am in denial still about all the FP+ hoopla. We'll be testing it out at DHS in 2 weeks and I am trying to keep an open mind....trying. And then we are definitely heading to WDW in November this year for the rest of the parks. I hope by then things have calmed down and it is easy to obtain more than 3 FP.
Thanks Wendy. I loved that shot too. That was my favorite age for visiting Disney.

It does sound like FP+ is not having as many technical glitches. That was really just one of my complaints though, so still plenty for me to dislike. I really need to see how it goes with letting people get more than 3. I think we'll still be left with the tiers though. Maybe.

I'm jealous you're doing SWW though. I would have loved to do that when the boys were little. They were both HUGE Star Wars fans. Still are really. Timmy said he and his roommate had just finished up watching the 6th of the movies together.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #84
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

I'm going to DL for the first time next month, so I'm looking for trip reports, particularly ones from Paradise Pier! I like this one a lot so far, excited to read more.
*1992-Offsite *1994-Offsite *2/15-20, 2007-All Star Music *5/17-28, 2010-Kidani Village @ AKL Dining *10/7-11, 2011-Beach Club Villas Dining *1/10-11, 2012-Old Key West *1/2012-10/2013 WDWCP/Seasonal CM at Epcot Main Entrance *2/9-12, 2012-Coronado Springs *5/10-5/11, 2012-All Star Music Four Months of Disney Dining *5/22-26,2012-All Star Sports *5/26-27, 2012-Port Orleans French Quarter *12/17-21, 2012-Wilderness Lodge *5/7-10, 2013-Pop Century *7/24-30, 2013-Art of Animation *1/6-10, 2014 -Art of Animation *3/25-29, 2014-All Star Movies *3/29-30, 2014-Boardwalk Villas *5/18-23, 2014-Paradise Pier *8/13-18, 2014-Caribbean Beach *8/18-19, 2014-Grand Floridian Trip Report & Dining *12/14-19, 2014-Port Orleans French Quarter-The Never Ending PTR! *3/17-23, 2015-Coronado Springs *10/9-13, 2015-Boardwalk Inn

bellebookworm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #85
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
That wasn't even my favorite selfie. That one's still to come. It wasn't exactly with a character.......
Can't wait to see what it is
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #86
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebookworm9 View Post
I'm going to DL for the first time next month, so I'm looking for trip reports, particularly ones from Paradise Pier! I like this one a lot so far, excited to read more.
How exciting to be going next month! The weather should be heavenly.

So glad you're following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Can't wait to see what it is
Right now I don't even remember which day it was. Hopefully it won't take too long to get there.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #87
SnowBelleAlice
Mouseketeer

Joinng in! Oh how I miss DLR, my kids were there earlier this month but it's been since 10/12 for me, next visit is next April!
Thanks for sharing, I'm looking forward to more
DLR Visits ~ Wee me - 84, 93, 00; Visits with my kids - 3/06, 7/06, 9/07, 4/08, 12/08, 3/09, 7/09, 9/09, 12/09, 7/10, 11/10, 11/11, 10/12, 7/14; My kids, their grandpa *my dad* & cousin - 3-4/14; WDW Visits ~ 10/09, 10/13, 10/14
Coming up ~ DLR, and the Star Wars Celebration, mid April 2015
SnowBelleAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #88
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBelleAlice View Post
Joinng in! Oh how I miss DLR, my kids were there earlier this month but it's been since 10/12 for me, next visit is next April!
Thanks for sharing, I'm looking forward to more
Thanks for joining in! Hopefully we can help you pass the time until you can get back yourself.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #89
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Thursday December 5, 2013:

It certainly wasn't any problem being up and at rope drop before 8 AM on our first morning. Coming from Central Time made it feel like 10 AM. I was more than ready for the fun to begin! One of the reasons we decided to stay onsite was because I knew I would be up early every morning. And pacing the floor waiting for the parks to open would drive me nuts. I knew we'd use Early Entry every single day.

On our way to the elevator we peeked out of one of the windows on our floor and were met with this. They must have been testing the fountains at WOC. It was like I could reach right out the window and touch it!

IMG_3484 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Our destination that morning......... DISNEYLAND! Katie and I had only been in line a few minutes when we had our first DIS meet of the trip. We were only there a few minutes when I heard someone calling my name. I had told people to watch for the mom and daughter in the red and green sequin ears, and Wendy (czmom) had spotted us! We had messaged back and forth about all of our planning for months ahead of time, so it really was nice to finally meet her and her family.

IMG_3486 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I loved how the ticket gates were decorated. It's like it was right out of Frozen!

IMG_3489 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3491 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3494 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I was anxious to get into the park and get our Photopass Plus so we could start our fun. A little before 8 they let people into the park to fill Main Street up to the rope.

IMG_3504 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3505 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3506 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I was hoping the photo store was open early, but no such luck. When the rope dropped it still wasn't open, so we decided to go ride something. The Astro Orbiter was right there, and it's a notorious slow loader we usually end up skipping, so we gave it a go. Being closer to the ground it's not as thrilling as the one at WDW, but I love the views of the park and castle from that ride.

IMG_3508 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3511 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3521 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3530 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3534 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3541 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3550 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Katie wanted to do the Matterhorn next, so we headed into Tomorrowland. It took a bit to get our bearings. After all, it had been 3 1/2 years since we had been to DL. When we got to the Nemo Subs, Katie decided we needed a detour. Since that one is also a slow loader, we decided to get in line. There were only a few people ahead of us, but it still took some time to get in. I just don't think they were running many subs that morning. One of the most irritating things about Early Entry is that often some of the rides are running at lower capacity, which just increases the wait.

IMG_3551 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3556 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3562 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3572 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3578 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3583 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3587 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3605 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3611 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3618 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We were close to the Matterhorn so decided to ride that next....... until we got to the end of the line and saw the sign saying 45 minutes. YIKES! Then it dawned on me that I had seen something about that ride having a single rider line. I had no idea where to enter for that, so went up front to ask. Boy, were we excited to find out the line entered there and we were put on a car within a couple minutes. And the same car at that! I think Katie liked it, but it seemed a lot rougher than I remember. I did enjoy seeing the Yeti twice on our trip through the mountain, but was ready to move on when the ride was over.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #90
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Matterhorn Flashback:

Katie's first ride on the Matterhorn was in 2006. She said she was ready, but looked just a bit traumatized when she gave me the thumbs up from the ride platform as we exited:

Matterhorn 2006 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

She recreated that "thumbs up" pose for me after her ride on it this past December. I think I was the one traumatized this time through!

Matterhorn 2013 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: