Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #61
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Helllllooooooo, Janet!

I didn't realize that you had started a TR, but I must have sensed that my name was written because somehow I was drawn to the TR section today -- and I found you!

Since you mentioned that I wasn't a fan of the PPH tree, I should clarify (to anyone out there who hasn't followed along with my DLR Christmas/Holiday Season Superthreads and read my comments) that I, too, absolutely love the color of the tree. That warm, blue-greenish glow has me transfixed every time I see the tree in person. I literally stand there and stare at it, hypnotized. I prefer the PPH tree over all of the other trees at the other hotels, specifically because of that color.

But, alas, you're correct -- I don't like the changes that were made to the PPH tree in 2013. I think there are a few of us PPH tree vets who don't like the changes (Cheshirecatty included), but I can totally understand how someone who is seeing it in person for the first time would love it! It went from being a fairly uncluttered tree to a cluttered tree. All of that stuff around the bottom of it cuts its length down (visually), and the assorted oceanic trinkets dangling from the branches make it busier than it had been.

I just think that in the case of the PPH tree, the actual lights and color were the stars of the show. As for ornaments, they (the hotel decorators) probably should have gone with a 'less is more' approach. I am curious what the tree will look like this year -- and you know I will be inspecting it closely!

Anyway, on to your TR... Your photos are so wonderful! They're so crisp, bright and clear -- every single one of them! The pictures from the plane are breathtaking. Your Goofy's Kitchen pictures made me realize how much I miss eating there (I used to eat there on every DLR trip).

And I have a feeling you didn't overlook nearly as many details as you think you might have overlooked during your trip -- you captured the close-up of the wacky, pointy ornament on the Goofy's Kitchen tree, and that has always been one of my personal favorite details about that tree!

Even if it turns out -- for some reason -- that you didn't capture details that you wish you had captured, it's okay! There will be another holiday trip. Everyone tours DLR differently -- and some folks are more prone to stop and photograph every little detail (to the point of skipping rides and other activities), while others have a nice mix of activities and photo-taking on their trips. Some folks are just not detail-hunters when it comes to photos in the first place. Some folks are just not photo-driven at all. Everyone is different, and everyone's priorities are different on trips.

I saw a mention of a Sanibel TR? I have never been there, but one of my close friends makes -- or used to make -- a yearly sojourn to Sanibel because she fell in love with it. I have a feeling I would love it too!

When I finally update the Trip Reports/Reviews post on page 1 of the Superthread, I will surely add a link to this TR so folks planning their holiday trips can enjoy it and all of the stunning images you have shared/will be sharing!

Hey Sherry!

I was going to send you a note or post in the thread to give you a heads up on my TR. I just hadn't gotten it marked off my list yet. Thanks for taking care of it for me!

You did such a better job of describing the issue with the PPH tree. You are right though..... those colors are absolutely mesmerizing. We did our entire house and yard in blue and green one year. You know.... back when I was younger and there were more hours in the day! So that tree is particularly appealing to me.

Thanks for the kind words on my photos. I know I took a lot. I'm just not sure yet if I have hundreds each of a few things or a few each of hundreds of things! You are the other person here on the DIS that I aspire to be like with my photography. Just like Jen, you are so good at seeing all those details and taking photos of them all. What an amazing archive of all things holiday at Disney you have put together!

My Sanibel TR was sort of a "TR within a TR" on my 2012 WDW TR linked in my signature. Here's where the Sanibel part of it started though. It would sure be a long trek for you to visit, but I still bet you'd love it. We've actually driven there from Missouri many times, and that's a much longer trek than flying from the west coast!

I really did love that tree at Goofy's Kitchen. We have been to Goofy's Kitchen on every DLR trip we have made, but this is the first time to visit over the holidays. Of course since we are limited to 5 days in the parks (without an AP) it's nice to have some character fun without having to use a park ticket. It's sort of an arrival day tradition for us.

And I'd be honored to be included in the TR section of the holiday superthread!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #62
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I'm following along as well. I have enjoyed all your pictures and photography input on the threads and nice to see that you have started a DL trip report.

A very nice start to your trip report. The pictures of the PPH Christmas tree and GK are very nice and stunning.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #63
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I'm following along as well. I have enjoyed all your pictures and photography input on the threads and nice to see that you have started a DL trip report.

A very nice start to your trip report. The pictures of the PPH Christmas tree and GK are very nice and stunning.
Thanks for the kind words Bret! So glad to see you over here! I have certainly enjoyed your input on all the photography threads as well.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #64
AprilRenee
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I love your TRs!

Pre Trip Report
Photobooks/TR linked below
May 2010 POP(Photobook); January 2011 ASMu (TR); January 2012 POP(Photobook)
AprilRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #65
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Great update! I love when you share the flashback pictures. Katie has grown so much!

I love your Goofy's kitchen interactions, and all those Christmas trees around! Disney at Christmastime is a dream for me.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #66
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Hey Sherry!

I was going to send you a note or post in the thread to give you a heads up on my TR. I just hadn't gotten it marked off my list yet. Thanks for taking care of it for me!

You did such a better job of describing the issue with the PPH tree. You are right though..... those colors are absolutely mesmerizing. We did our entire house and yard in blue and green one year. You know.... back when I was younger and there were more hours in the day! So that tree is particularly appealing to me.

Thanks for the kind words on my photos. I know I took a lot. I'm just not sure yet if I have hundreds each of a few things or a few each of hundreds of things! You are the other person here on the DIS that I aspire to be like with my photography. Just like Jen, you are so good at seeing all those details and taking photos of them all. What an amazing archive of all things holiday at Disney you have put together!

My Sanibel TR was sort of a "TR within a TR" on my 2012 WDW TR linked in my signature. Here's where the Sanibel part of it started though. It would sure be a long trek for you to visit, but I still bet you'd love it. We've actually driven there from Missouri many times, and that's a much longer trek than flying from the west coast!

I really did love that tree at Goofy's Kitchen. We have been to Goofy's Kitchen on every DLR trip we have made, but this is the first time to visit over the holidays. Of course since we are limited to 5 days in the parks (without an AP) it's nice to have some character fun without having to use a park ticket. It's sort of an arrival day tradition for us.

And I'd be honored to be included in the TR section of the holiday superthread!
Janet --

Thank you for the very kind words, but I must say...

I just looked through your Sanibel "TR within a TR" (thank you for guiding me to it) and your photos are insanely, ridiculously good!!! I don't even think that words like "stunning" or "awesome" do them justice. Each photo is better than the previous one. I can't even pinpoint which element I love most, or which photo I love most, because there are so many. The varying colors of the sky? The sunsets? The rainbow? The assorted sea creatures and bits of nature? The family photos? The Bubble Room? The empty beach? The quirky holiday decorations? It's all amazing.

And it's not only the subjects of the photos that are naturally compelling -- it's your excellent composition and eye for what will make a great shot that is at the heart of all of the pictures.

I mean, really, Sanibel should hire you to be its permanent photographer because you would attract a lot of visitors to the island just by showcasing your photos. Sometimes I see promotional photos of beaches or islands and they are certainly pretty -- gorgeous, even -- but the photos come across as a bit sterile, or a bit too staged and perfect...so much so that the beaches and islands don't even seem like real places. They seem almost inaccessible -- and I don't mean inaccessible as far as not being able to reach them by land, air or sea, but inaccessible in that they don't seem like they'd be within the realm of possibility to visit due to being perfect. They almost seem too utopian, if that makes any sense.

I think that your Sanibel photos do a fantastic job of capturing the often idyllic beauty of an island/beach setting -- and showcasing all of the great things that people would want to do or see when embarking upon such an adventure -- while still exhibiting warmth, personality and depth.

I now understand why my friend fell in love with Sanibel many years ago and tries to go there every year if she can -- it's probably one of those places that is hard to leave when it's time to leave. I can already tell that I would adore it!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #67
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilRenee View Post
Joining in! I love your TRs!
Yeah! April's here. It's just like old home week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
Great update! I love when you share the flashback pictures. Katie has grown so much!

I love your Goofy's kitchen interactions, and all those Christmas trees around! Disney at Christmastime is a dream for me.
Thanks Tina! DLR at Christmas really does not disappoint.

I have a few more Goofy's Kitchen flashback photos I'll share in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Janet --

Thank you for the very kind words, but I must say...

I just looked through your Sanibel "TR within a TR" (thank you for guiding me to it) and your photos are insanely, ridiculously good!!! I don't even think that words like "stunning" or "awesome" do them justice. Each photo is better than the previous one. I can't even pinpoint which element I love most, or which photo I love most, because there are so many. The varying colors of the sky? The sunsets? The rainbow? The assorted sea creatures and bits of nature? The family photos? The Bubble Room? The empty beach? The quirky holiday decorations? It's all amazing.

And it's not only the subjects of the photos that are naturally compelling -- it's your excellent composition and eye for what will make a great shot that is at the heart of all of the pictures.

I mean, really, Sanibel should hire you to be its permanent photographer because you would attract a lot of visitors to the island just by showcasing your photos. Sometimes I see promotional photos of beaches or islands and they are certainly pretty -- gorgeous, even -- but the photos come across as a bit sterile, or a bit too staged and perfect...so much so that the beaches and islands don't even seem like real places. They seem almost inaccessible -- and I don't mean inaccessible as far as not being able to reach them by land, air or sea, but inaccessible in that they don't seem like they'd be within the realm of possibility to visit due to being perfect. They almost seem too utopian, if that makes any sense.

I think that your Sanibel photos do a fantastic job of capturing the often idyllic beauty of an island/beach setting -- and showcasing all of the great things that people would want to do or see when embarking upon such an adventure -- while still exhibiting warmth, personality and depth.

I now understand why my friend fell in love with Sanibel many years ago and tries to go there every year if she can -- it's probably one of those places that is hard to leave when it's time to leave. I can already tell that I would adore it!
Well, goodness Sherry. Now you have me blushing with all the kind words.

It's easy to be a good photographer on Sanibel. The opportunities are just so easy to find. Although I will say that we have refined our approach over time for being in the right place at the right time for both shelling and photography opportunities.

You do have a way with words. Sanibel is more of a down to earth community than the pristine resorts on some beaches. Not that the area isn't pristine. It's just sort of hard to describe. But it really clicks with our family.

We were heartbroken when Hurricane Charley tore the island apart in 2004. But Mother Nature (and some great contractors no doubt!) did a great job putting all the pieces back together again. My husband grew up going to Sanibel every summer. We don't make it that often but we've probably been 9 or 10 times through the years.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #68
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

GOOFY'S KITCHEN Flashback:

Here's the rest of the collection of Goofy's Kitchen photos through the years. Our first trip to DLR was in 2005. Back then the boys were still playing along.

IMG_8190 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Robbie (on the right) turns 21 in a week and is a Junior in college. Timmy (in the middle) just turned 19 and is the one who is away for his Freshman year of college:

IMG_8246 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We returned the summer of 2006:

IMG_3418 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And again in 2007:

IMG_0516 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I already shared the photo from 2010.

So you can see we really have a history at GK. I'm sure we'll eat there again when we go back later this year. It's just tradition.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #69
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Love the pictures of the kids at Goofy's Kitchen. You know....as I was looking at the flashbacks, I realised that those characters can be used a measuring yardsticks! Your DD grew significantly taller in 2006 and 2007 when you look at where she stands against Pluto.

Quote:
Greeting PIO! So glad you're along for our defection! Everyone has such strong feelings about FP+ (not the least of which is myself), it sort of felt like cheating to duck out of the issue completely and head west.

FP+ worked pretty smoothly for me in Oct last year (pre-tiering). Except for the last day and the system not being able to show ticket stacking (the CM could see my normal park ticket but not the MNSSHP ticket and I had to clear that up at Guest Relations), we pretty much had every booking recognised by the scanners.
My gripes came down to us being limited to 3 (we're a commando family and we would average about 8 - 10 FP- on the old system) and not being able to select FP+ for multiple parks (we tend to park hop). I'm glad to see that Disney is fixing both of these.

And no....you're not cheating. Much as I like WDW, DLR is the Disney destination of my heart. I definitely prefer DLR to WDW.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #71
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

I think the tree is beautiful!

Great character pics at Goofy's Kitchen! And love all the flashback photos as well

I Love the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family so I think that was a great way to end your night!

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13 - MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13

missangelalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #72
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
:

YEAH! Someone dig out the cookies. clsteve is here and we can start the meeting! We'll save the super top secret FP+ haters stuff for later in the meeting though.

You can corrupt me into possibly shunning WDW for US one day, so maybe I can corrupt you into shunning WDW for DLR!
Deal!

Btw, just to echo the other PP's: your photos are top notch. The one of Katie on the cover page of the autograph book- that's the one in a 1000 captures we parents spend all of that time hoping to get--- really special

Last edited by clsteve; 04-14-2014 at 12:59 PM.
clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #73
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Super cute flashback pictures. I like how you said the boys were still playing along then Now that we went to Universal, I think my son has found his "home"...now how to get him back to Disney!

I have never been to Sanibel, I will have to work that into a trip soon!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #74
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

I'm so glad for two things:

That you shared the past GK photos because seeing others kids grow up too makes me feel oddly less sad about mine doing so and wondering where time went. And seeing the little happy faces that look much older now is just fun anyway. Cute, cute, cute. Like mini-me's! Apostrophe is prob wrong but mes looks weird!

And that even more people are now seeing your fab Sanibel TR and photos, my daughter Sydney LOVED all the sealife you captured and instantly wanted to go there. She was so excited to book and do the Lido Key kayaking trip (inland waterway, minimal current, low wind- easy for most part). Someday we will get farther south to see for ourselves.

But for now I will dream of heading west to DLR in the summer or fall... And enjoy your report and tips!

Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #75
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Love the pictures of the kids at Goofy's Kitchen. You know....as I was looking at the flashbacks, I realised that those characters can be used a measuring yardsticks! Your DD grew significantly taller in 2006 and 2007 when you look at where she stands against Pluto.
We totally use characters as measuring sticks. I can see how many Tigger-stripes DD has grown each time because we try to take the same photo each trip! And now our DS17 is taller than Tigger!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: