Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Hey Tina! So glad you made it!
I love reading your TRs, you have such great photographs and fun stories, so it's like I'm there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
And can you believe I completely forgot to even enter.
At least you COULD enter! Hahahaha I'm not allowed.

I am still waiting for winter to leave here. I think Spring went to WDW for the Winter and doesn't want to come back yet. (But this week we're above 0 so I'm now happy!)
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
I love reading your TRs, you have such great photographs and fun stories, so it's like I'm there.

At least you COULD enter! Hahahaha I'm not allowed.

I am still waiting for winter to leave here. I think Spring went to WDW for the Winter and doesn't want to come back yet. (But this week we're above 0 so I'm now happy!)
Thanks Tina.

That stinks that they wouldn't let our friends to the north enter. I would have totally cheered for you to win. You know..... since I forgot to enter and all.

I hope spring comes your way soon. We've had some glimpses. And it's amazing what it does for one's mental well-being.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I missed the entry on your old trip report but saw your post on Flickr and knew something was up so I did a quick looksy around the Disneyland Trip Report boards and found you. This is going to be fun!

No trip to DL this summer? A trip to the Southwest sounds great though.
Any Disney trips in your future this year?

My youngest daughter, wife, and I are headed to Boston for four days this Summer. My daughter has been saving up money for this trip. We are thinking of catching a train down to NY for one day while she hangs out with her best friend who moved away a year ago. I've never been to the North East and am excited about it. I really want to visit Cape Cod.

If all goes well we plan to possibly head back to Monterey in October. We have been saving our two roundtrip Southwest tickets for just the wife and I to go and spend some real quality time together. We are toying with the idea of a day in Disneyland but aren't quite sure. Really the whole thing is a dream right now. We had notions of hitting WDW for October to see the Boo to You parade and ride the Seven Dwarfs ride but California just adds more for us to do outside of Disney. We kind of got this crazy notion to start looking at Condos or homes for when the kids graduate College. Florida offers more affordable housing but my heart is drawn to Cali but my pocketbook won't allow it. I know its still a distance in the future but I think maybe I would enjoy being a SNOWBIRD. That way I could still enjoy when the kids grow up and start having a family of their own but I could still getaway especially when its cold.

Alright enough rambling. Back to your report!!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I missed the entry on your old trip report but saw your post on Flickr and knew something was up so I did a quick looksy around the Disneyland Trip Report boards and found you. This is going to be fun!

No trip to DL this summer? A trip to the Southwest sounds great though.
Any Disney trips in your future this year?

My youngest daughter, wife, and I are headed to Boston for four days this Summer. My daughter has been saving up money for this trip. We are thinking of catching a train down to NY for one day while she hangs out with her best friend who moved away a year ago. I've never been to the North East and am excited about it. I really want to visit Cape Cod.

If all goes well we plan to possibly head back to Monterey in October. We have been saving our two roundtrip Southwest tickets for just the wife and I to go and spend some real quality time together. We are toying with the idea of a day in Disneyland but aren't quite sure. Really the whole thing is a dream right now. We had notions of hitting WDW for October to see the Boo to You parade and ride the Seven Dwarfs ride but California just adds more for us to do outside of Disney. We kind of got this crazy notion to start looking at Condos or homes for when the kids graduate College. Florida offers more affordable housing but my heart is drawn to Cali but my pocketbook won't allow it. I know its still a distance in the future but I think maybe I would enjoy being a SNOWBIRD. That way I could still enjoy when the kids grow up and start having a family of their own but I could still getaway especially when its cold.

Alright enough rambling. Back to your report!!
Hey Mike! So glad you found us!

I was actually just thinking about posting a second notice on my trip report since sometimes email notices don't make it through.

I'm still planning on DLR in November or December. But we usually take a trip somewhere in the summer. There really just is nothing like hitting the open road. But we're just not going all the way to California this time.

The trip to the northeast sounds awesome. That is an area of the country we really have not done. Mostly I suppose because I prefer wide open spaces. We did drive to DC back before we had kids. I do wish we had done it again though.

Let me know when you commit on your fall plans. I can tell your heart is definitely in California (even if it's not in San Francisco!). But yeah, I hear you on the cost. Can you imagine living within a daytrip of DL though?

Can you believe our kids are both finishing up their first year of college? It's a year I'll be quite happy to have behind me.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

I'm here, so excited you've started your DLR trip report!

Awesome that you were staying at Paradise Pier, completing the trifecta!

Wow I had no idea that you could only get 5 day tickets, not cool!

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13 - MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13

missangelalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #21
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
I'm here, so excited you've started your DLR trip report!

Awesome that you were staying at Paradise Pier, completing the trifecta!

Wow I had no idea that you could only get 5 day tickets, not cool!
So glad you found us!

I'm still not over the 5 day ticket thing. For a while last year they were letting people add a 6th day but even that hasn't happened in some time. Lots of people opt to upgrade to an AP, but that's an additional $200 per ticket. I did think about just planning on going back in November this year and using the AP, but our lives are just so crazy that I really didn't want to commit that far our. Now that we are seriously considering November, I sure wish I had!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Wednesday December 4, 2013: Departure Day

New Fantasyland opened at WDW in time for us to see it in 2012. The Mine Coaster had no hope of being open in time for our 2013 trip. With Fastpass Plus implementation looming, 2013 seemed like a great time to duck out and head west.

Planning for a DLR trip is certainly a different creature from planning for a WDW trip. I have to admit I enjoy the planning as much as I enjoy the trip itself. It's my way of keeping the Disney magic alive all year long between trips. At WDW the planning starts prior to the 6 month mark, getting ready to plan park days and ADRs. At DLR you can't book anything but a room more than 60 days out. But I also found that does have some benefit in terms of keeping options open until the latest possible date. I made our dining reservations at 60 days out, then our Holiday Tour and Fantasmic reservations at 30 days out.

Our flight was at 8 AM, so we left the house around 5:30 AM. Our first stop at the airport was for breakfast. I tend to eat a lot on travel days, since we never really know when our next chance will be. Katie's day got off to a good start with a stop here:

I'm not a coffee drinker. And I'm a cheapskate. So we have never been to starbucks. Katie always asks, I suppose because it's popular with some of her friends. But my answer is always "If you want a Starbucks habit, you need a job first." Well, we were on vacation, and I like to leave the life lessons at home, so I gave her money to get something. The irony is that she doesn't drink coffee either, so she got some sort of hot chocolate.

She does look tired. Maybe given the early hour she should have tried some coffee???

Here's the sight we were waiting for!

We flew into John Wayne Airport with a plane change in Las Vegas. I was really looking forward to flying over the Rockies for the first time, but was really disappointed that I never really saw them. I'm not sure if I missed them or what. I did enjoy following the plane's progress on the in-flight wireless. As we got closer to Las Vegas, the scenery got more mountainous and interesting.

I could tell it was dry and rocky, then I noticed a huge lake of blue water. I knew right away that had to be Lake Mead. I actually had just finished watching "Aerial America: Nevada" that morning when I couldn't sleep and had seen a similar view.

The show described the "bathtub ring" that had recently formed around the lake because of the receding water level. I also figured if Lake Mead was there, the Hoover Dam had to be close by. Eventually I located the new suspension bridge near the dam, and then the dam itself. It was fun to pick things out from the air.

Our flight was actually about 10 minutes behind schedule, which stressed me out a bit given our tight connection, especially once I found out we had to get to another terminal. We took a second for Katie to pose for a photo in front of a slot machine and we headed to our gate. They were loading our plane when we got there. It was cool to see the Las Vegas strip from the air as we took off. I had no idea the airport ran right up against it that way.

Goodbye Lake Mead!

The day really went pretty smoothly. It was sort of a pain getting down to the shuttle loading area, but once we got there it was smooth sailing. I was glad I had made online reservations, as they seemed to be looking for us before leaving with the van. (We used Super Shuttle).

The most interesting sight of the day was driving down Harbor Boulevard when I caught a glimpse of the back of the rockwork in Carsland. Hollywood image making at its finest! I actually wish I had snapped a photo of that. What an imposing sight it was!

Thankfully our room was ready when we checked in. We dropped our things off and quickly headed out for our primary destination...... Downtown Disney and Earl of Sandwich! I ordered the holiday sandwich and Katie of course ordered her favorite Italian sandwich.

I really wasn't sure what to expect of the holiday sandwich but really enjoyed it. After lunch we headed back to the room to rest up. I was more than ready for a nap. Katie? Not so much. She hung out on her phone while I napped.

I woke up to her taking photos of the sunset out our window.

I had heard some sounds in the midst of my slumber, and I found out she had been playing volleyball with her beach ball pillow. It felt awesome to have had a little rest. I'm not sure I could have gone out to dinner without it.

Last edited by mom2rtk; 04-07-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #24
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Hi Wiigirl! Glad you're here!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #25
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Ah yes, I know all about that age and Starbucks! My DD will be 13 in May and loves Carmel Lattes/Frappes. But it is just an occasional treat for sure! I am not a coffee drinker either so not sure where she gets it, probably makes her feel more grown up!!

Sounds like a great first day so far!

Upcoming: Last minute trip Coronado Springs 8/27-8/31 with DSIL/DBIL 15th anniversary We'll miss the kids!!
Recent: HOJO'S DL 5/28-6/4
4/03 ASMO and Caribbean Beach Resort
4/05 HOJO's DL
4/07 Nick Hotel and WH
4-5/09 Nick Hotel and WH
6/10 WH
5-6/11 HOJO'S DL
6/12 Split stay: WH/AKV/Poly
5/29-6/12/13 WH 2 WEEKS!!

Before kids:
1986 WDW
1992 DL
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
DISNEYaddict4evr
Now some person I don't even know reminds me there's no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography allowed in my dream.

I absolutely love those pillows!! What fun

How far of walk was it to DTD from the hotel if I might ask?
DISNEYaddict4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #27
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

following along!! I love reading trip reports and seeing pictures

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
Ah yes, I know all about that age and Starbucks! My DD will be 13 in May and loves Carmel Lattes/Frappes. But it is just an occasional treat for sure! I am not a coffee drinker either so not sure where she gets it, probably makes her feel more grown up!!

Sounds like a great first day so far!
I think you're right. I think it's about them wanting to feel all grown up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYaddict4evr View Post
I absolutely love those pillows!! What fun

How far of walk was it to DTD from the hotel if I might ask?
I know! Weren't those the best pillows? It's probably good they were so big a bulky. So people wouldn't be tempted to throw one in their suitcase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luulu1999 View Post
following along!! I love reading trip reports and seeing pictures
lulu! Looks like you have a trip of your own coming up! So glad you like pictures. You'll find a *few* here!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #29
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Guess what oh logical friend, we are defecting out West this summer too. DH doesnt want to deal with the FP+ nonsense in the summer.

I need tips for Carland since that was not there when we went last time. So PM me when you get a chance.

But I cant wait to see pictures and read along here!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Guess what oh logical friend, we are defecting out West this summer too. DH doesnt want to deal with the FP+ nonsense in the summer.

I need tips for Carland since that was not there when we went last time. So PM me when you get a chance.

But I cant wait to see pictures and read along here!
Greetings oh fellow FP+ refugee! So glad you found us here. When is the last time you were at DLR? This was our first trip since 2010. So much had changed!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: