Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #211
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Your daughter pictures are very nice at Jingle Jangle Jamboree. Even though I not a big fan of JJJ like the former Reindeer Round-Up. A lot has changed around Big Thunder Ranch when JJJ came in couple of years ago. I did like the old Reindeer Round-Up where they had actual reindeer's and Santa M&G at the shack. At least using the Festival Arena is another good idea to use that space when there is nothing going on.

Your spot for "Believe...In Holiday Magic" fireworks was nice where you were able to get pictures of the firework trails. All of your firework trails pictures are very nice and the settings were just as I expected. Did you use a ND filter that night or no filter?

Great update Janet.

Thanks Bret. I was really sad when I realized there would be no reindeer back at JJJ on our trip. We would have really enjoyed that. Not sure if we would have had reindeer selfies though.

Have you shot fireworks at DL? If so, what is your favorite shot? I'd still like to get a little farther back, but I love the great view of the castle we had.

I did not use a ND filter. To be honest, I had one but couldn't find it before the trip! I did just find it again so I want to try it out on our next trip. I thought some of the trails were a bit brighter than I prefer, and I don't want to cut back any on how long I'm leaving the shutter open.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #212
YodasMom
Holy Cow!! 741!!
Been there, done that...and lost sleep! Yuk!

Beautiful photos, Janet! And, shots of the lit-up Castle with the fireworks are absolutely stunning! The goat photos reminded me of something we experienced on the BSM tour! I love your photos of Katie taking her selfies! Can hardly wait to see your pages with those photos! LOL!!
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #213
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks Bret. I was really sad when I realized there would be no reindeer back at JJJ on our trip. We would have really enjoyed that. Not sure if we would have had reindeer selfies though.

Have you shot fireworks at DL? If so, what is your favorite shot? I'd still like to get a little farther back, but I love the great view of the castle we had.

I did not use a ND filter. To be honest, I had one but couldn't find it before the trip! I did just find it again so I want to try it out on our next trip. I thought some of the trails were a bit brighter than I prefer, and I don't want to cut back any on how long I'm leaving the shutter open.
Since JJJ started in 2012, DL discontinued the reindeer's which is a huge disappointment. So much has changed with JJJ at Big Thunder Ranch.

I have took firework trail shots at DL ever since 2012. I have been practicing more and more with firework trail shots during each of my Disneyland trips. Here is a post from my trip report thread of the fireworks trails of RDCT during the September 2013 trip. Day 1 – September 14, 2013 – Part 5. My favorite spot to watch the fireworks and get pictures is on the curb close to the Hub area. I spend hours to stake out a spot get those pictures where some people would not even wait an hour. In order to get more in the picture of the firework trails, I would go with a wider lens if you want to get more in the picture. Watching the fireworks in front of SB Castle is the best but it also requires time and I would have no problem waiting.

Using ND filters for the fireworks does make a difference in the brightness of the firework trails. I have seen the difference from my pictures of using a ND filter and no filter. Maybe you will be able to use the filter for the firework trails one day.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #214
BebopAngel88
Earning My Ears

The castle pictures look so amazing and I like how clear they are. I'm happy to hear that you guys didn't really have to worry about crowds. A couple of yrs ago we went to DL 2 days after Xmas and it was horrible. The crowds were really unbearable. That taught me a big lesson, lol.

BebopAngel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #215
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

OMG! Your Mrs. Claus was our Fairy Godmother at Breakfast with Minnie and Friends! And she was hilarious with the kids too! She is adorable I agree.

Love your castle photos-just gorgeous!!

Livestock selfies--who knew??

Upcoming: Last minute trip Coronado Springs 8/27-8/31 with DSIL/DBIL 15th anniversary We'll miss the kids!!
Recent: HOJO'S DL 5/28-6/4
4/03 ASMO and Caribbean Beach Resort
4/05 HOJO's DL
4/07 Nick Hotel and WH
4-5/09 Nick Hotel and WH
6/10 WH
5-6/11 HOJO'S DL
6/12 Split stay: WH/AKV/Poly
5/29-6/12/13 WH 2 WEEKS!!

Before kids:
1986 WDW
1992 DL
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #216
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since JJJ started in 2012, DL discontinued the reindeer's which is a huge disappointment. So much has changed with JJJ at Big Thunder Ranch.

I have took firework trail shots at DL ever since 2012. I have been practicing more and more with firework trail shots during each of my Disneyland trips. Here is a post from my trip report thread of the fireworks trails of RDCT during the September 2013 trip. Day 1 – September 14, 2013 – Part 5. My favorite spot to watch the fireworks and get pictures is on the curb close to the Hub area. I spend hours to stake out a spot get those pictures where some people would not even wait an hour. In order to get more in the picture of the firework trails, I would go with a wider lens if you want to get more in the picture. Watching the fireworks in front of SB Castle is the best but it also requires time and I would have no problem waiting.

Using ND filters for the fireworks does make a difference in the brightness of the firework trails. I have seen the difference from my pictures of using a ND filter and no filter. Maybe you will be able to use the filter for the firework trails one day.

Thanks Bret! I appreciate the link to your FW photos in your trip report. Those are awesome! I can tell we were probably pretty close to the same spot. Did you use a ND filter on yours? I really think I need to go that route next time. I think I'll try a wide angle lens, but I'm a little hesitant. I did that up close at WDW once and the castle just diminished in size too much. But I think I'd be a lot closer to this castle, so will likely give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopAngel88 View Post
The castle pictures look so amazing and I like how clear they are. I'm happy to hear that you guys didn't really have to worry about crowds. A couple of yrs ago we went to DL 2 days after Xmas and it was horrible. The crowds were really unbearable. That taught me a big lesson, lol.
Well, it's not that we didn't have crowds to contend with. It was easily more crowded than our prior trips. But yeah, I'm sure it was FAR less crowded than 2 days after Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
OMG! Your Mrs. Claus was our Fairy Godmother at Breakfast with Minnie and Friends! And she was hilarious with the kids too! She is adorable I agree.

Love your castle photos-just gorgeous!!

Livestock selfies--who knew??
Oh, I could totally see our Mrs. Claus as the FGM! She's not the same FGM we met later in the trip, although I wish she was!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #217
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Friday December 6, 2013:

IMG_4276 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

This was EE day at DCA. And this was our first shot at doing RSR. I had done all my research and knew to head for the right side of the turnstiles and rope. While waiting for bag check to get going, Wendy and her family showed up again. Great minds think alike, right? We ended up on the ride at 8:17. We enjoyed it, but I really didn't like that mass of humanity heading all in one direction at the same time.

IMG_4280 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4284 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Hi Wendy!

IMG_4285 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Wait a minute......... how did all those people end up in front of us!

IMG_4289 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4299 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4306 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4308 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4313 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4320 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4322 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4327 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4346 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4351 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4360 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4369 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4373 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4378 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4380 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4384 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4385 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

After RSR we headed for Luigi's Flying Tires, and were happy to find nearly nobody else in line. It was a cute ride, but hard to manipulate the tire while taking photos. I probably should have tried that one again, but wanted to get in line for fastpasses for RSR later that night.

IMG_4388 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4394 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4406 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4409 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #218
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

That's not fair...?

You have to post at least one bad photo, at some point.......

Just so the rest of us TR plebs know you're human!

(great update, btw)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #219
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
You have to post at least one bad photo, at some point.......

Just so the rest of us TR plebs know you're human!

(great update, btw)
LOL, thanks for the kind words clsteve!

You just have to do what I do and take so many you can't help but have a number of good ones. There are plenty I left behind.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #220
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Love the last one with your daughter on Luigi's Tires and her hair blowing and the sunlight. Great catch of her that will last through the ages. I really really enjoyed RSR alot! I consider it in the top 5 of Disney rides all time! The indoor dark portion was really well done and the race at the end has a great energy to it especially while your dueling against another car. Two big thumbs up for me. In fact while others really don't care for the other two smaller rides in Carsland I think there both winners. I enjoyed both very much. We rode Mater's Tractors so much that we knew all the songs and got a kick out of the "hidden song" that plays every once in a while. That first picture of the Paradise Pier is great too!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #221
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Bret! I appreciate the link to your FW photos in your trip report. Those are awesome! I can tell we were probably pretty close to the same spot. Did you use a ND filter on yours? I really think I need to go that route next time. I think I'll try a wide angle lens, but I'm a little hesitant. I did that up close at WDW once and the castle just diminished in size too much. But I think I'd be a lot closer to this castle, so will likely give it a go.
Glad that you enjoyed the firework trail shots back in September. When I looked at your spot and mine, they are almost close. I was more on the left hand side of the spot where yours looks close to the middle. I did use a 0.9 ND filter during the fireworks in September. Have you read Tom Bricker website about taking pictures of the firework trails with a Neutral Density Filter? I read from that site and also read on touringplans about it as well. I will be looking forward to hearing from you if you use your wide angle lens for the fireworks.

Your pictures of DCA that morning are very nice and were able to be very up close during the rope drop. I would not even consider waiting in those crowds to ride RSR first thing in the morning. I have experienced trying to get in the queue first thing but every time I try to ride RSR first thing, it was down due to technical issues. So I waste part of my morning to try to do other things. Those are very clear photos of RSR.

Very nice update.

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #222
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Love the pictures from RSR. Looks like you had fun on that ride.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #223
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Love the last one with your daughter on Luigi's Tires and her hair blowing and the sunlight. Great catch of her that will last through the ages. I really really enjoyed RSR alot! I consider it in the top 5 of Disney rides all time! The indoor dark portion was really well done and the race at the end has a great energy to it especially while your dueling against another car. Two big thumbs up for me. In fact while others really don't care for the other two smaller rides in Carsland I think there both winners. I enjoyed both very much. We rode Mater's Tractors so much that we knew all the songs and got a kick out of the "hidden song" that plays every once in a while. That first picture of the Paradise Pier is great too!
That ride was more fun that I expected. Didn't it used to have balls flying around or something? I bet that would have been fun. Of course, I needed to ride again and put the camera down. I agree that RSR is really top notch. They did a spectacular job on that addition to the park. I even liked the smaller rides.

Quote:
Glad that you enjoyed the firework trail shots back in September. When I looked at your spot and mine, they are almost close. I was more on the left hand side of the spot where yours looks close to the middle. I did use a 0.9 ND filter during the fireworks in September. Have you read Tom Bricker website about taking pictures of the firework trails with a Neutral Density Filter? I read from that site and also read on touringplans about it as well. I will be looking forward to hearing from you if you use your wide angle lens for the fireworks.

Your pictures of DCA that morning are very nice and were able to be very up close during the rope drop. I would not even consider waiting in those crowds to ride RSR first thing in the morning. I have experienced trying to get in the queue first thing but every time I try to ride RSR first thing, it was down due to technical issues. So I waste part of my morning to try to do other things. Those are very clear photos of RSR.

Very nice update.
Hi Bret! I have read most of Tom's blog entries, but I'm not sure I've read the one on ND filters. I'll have to do that soon. Mine is a 0.9 like yours. So now I get to ask you what sort of shutter speeds you got for those shots? Just a guess at a range is all I'm looking for. I tend to shoot 5-7 seconds without one, but I sort of go on a feel for how many bright bursts there have been.

It sounds like we really got lucky to find RSR actually open the morning we got there at EE. I'll make a mental note to always have a backup plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Love the pictures from RSR. Looks like you had fun on that ride.
Thanks PiO! We had a great time. We need to ride it several times next trip. When we left I sort of kicked myself for only getting on it twice. And Katie is old enough we can do single rider.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #224
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Bret! I have read most of Tom's blog entries, but I'm not sure I've read the one on ND filters. I'll have to do that soon. Mine is a 0.9 like yours. So now I get to ask you what sort of shutter speeds you got for those shots? Just a guess at a range is all I'm looking for. I tend to shoot 5-7 seconds without one, but I sort of go on a feel for how many bright bursts there have been.

It sounds like we really got lucky to find RSR actually open the morning we got there at EE. I'll make a mental note to always have a backup plan.
Most of the shutter speed shots were in the 5-10 second range. There were times when I let it go longer in the 20 second range. I have watch the fireworks at DL and MK to see what parts of the show to take and for how long. There are times when I got it right while other times I have missed it. 5-7 seconds is where I would normally shoot for the fireworks trails since I can get more in the picture. But for ones like in the 30+ second range could be tricky where one little mistake could ruin the shot.

On average, RSR is mostly up and running first thing in the morning. It's always a good idea to have a backup just in case you can't ride it first thing.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #225
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Those carolers look so cute! And I love Silver Bells as well! One of my favorites! Your fireworks pictures, as always, are beautiful! As always, Disney and Christmas just go hand-in-hand in my opinion!

I look at Katie… in shorts and a lightweight sweatshirt and wonder HOW I did that same type look years ago??? LOL! Oh the way the styles come back around! LOL She looks so beautiful.

I love seeing pictures of Carsland stuff! It is so well done- but WHEW! Those crowds, STILL after all this time! You'd think it would ease up a little bit??

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: