Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #151
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,547
DISboards Moderator

Lovely pictures, Janet. Really crisp and clear shots. Such great photos on POTC, too!

Oh drat! You mean to tell me that I missed seeing someone from Jersey Shore (and those guards look as though they were headed to Blue Bayou or Club 33)? Darn. (I am being facetious, of course, as I have no desire to see anyone from Jersey Shore! I'm content with my Kurt Russell sighting!)

You know, that giant gold masquerade mask suspended over the entrance to the New Orleans Square alley was all new last year. There used to be a Christmas wreath with a mischievous crescent moon-headed jester dude sitting in the middle of it, creepily staring down at passersby, in that exact spot. But suddenly the giant gold mask appeared in its place. I am guessing that, since DL keeps all the other masquerade masks and Mardi Gras beads up through the Bayou Bash/Mardi Gras time, someone in the Enhancement Department must have felt that the giant mask was a better decoration to display through the holidays and into Mardi Gras, rather than the wreath -- which basically worked for the holidays and not for Mardi Gras.
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #152
aboveH20
DIS Veteran
 
aboveH20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saratoga County
Posts: 1,408

2q4u

Your photos are sooo enticing. I know I'm going to enjoy looking at them when I get back because I've started zooming through photos on TRs so there will still be some excitement and newness when I arrive -- in 9 days!

I have two hopefully easy questions. If you were going solo, where would you eat your first night? And, I'm trying to figure out what kind of a bag to carry in the parks. I made a sting backpack for WDW because I go in winter and need to carry a sweatshirt and poncho (I've been some VERY cold Februarys). I light to travel light. I don't think I need to carry much more than sunglasses and my phone. I keep my wallet in my front pocket. Am I forgetting any necessities that I need to carry on my person throughout the day?

Thanks.
__________________
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the oceans' depths submariners are protecting our freedom.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #153
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,832

Your trip report is making me want to go out there so much! If only I didn't have that pesky relative problem out there that I think I told you about
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #154
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,547
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Your photos are sooo enticing. I know I'm going to enjoy looking at them when I get back because I've started zooming through photos on TRs so there will still be some excitement and newness when I arrive -- in 9 days!

I have two hopefully easy questions. If you were going solo, where would you eat your first night? And, I'm trying to figure out what kind of a bag to carry in the parks. I made a sting backpack for WDW because I go in winter and need to carry a sweatshirt and poncho (I've been some VERY cold Februarys). I light to travel light. I don't think I need to carry much more than sunglasses and my phone. I keep my wallet in my front pocket. Am I forgetting any necessities that I need to carry on my person throughout the day?

Thanks.
aboveH20 --

I hope Janet doesn't mind my popping in to comment on this specific question that you asked her, but I do solo DLR trips (in fact, I actually prefer them now, to a large degree!) and thought I could throw out a few suggestions for you.

I think your solo dining choice largely depends on what kind of food you like and whether you want to go the table service route or the counter service route.

On some nights I simply get a sandwich to go from Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney and bring it back to my hotel.

Also on my last solo DLR trip I ate at Tangaroa Terrace in the Disneyland Hotel -- it is counter service, but there are interesting, tasty menu options and -- on that day -- the seating area was nice and quiet. I took a table overlooking the pool.

I've also dined solo at Storytellers Café in the GCH -- which felt kind of awkward because it is a busy table service restaurant and I can never get used to dining solo in a table service restaurant. The server couldn't have been nicer, but I still felt odd. I think I would have felt less odd, somehow, if I had chosen Carnation Café instead, because of the outdoor seating. For some reason I feel less awkward dining solo when I can sit outside than when I am forced to sit indoors.

I've dined solo at Taste Pilots' Grill in DCA, at night when the outside seating area was not busy. That was pretty decent.

I know that a lot of people like White Water Snacks in the GCH for the location and the food (it's counter service), but I haven't eaten there yet -- either solo or with friends. I keep telling myself that I will, but I end up at Earl of Sandwich or something and never make it over there!


Anyway, hopefully Janet will have some other ideas for you!


ETA: I almost forgot that I ate at Plaza Inn solo last year too -- I sat outside again! It was great!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 05-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #155
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
Blue Bayou's decor seems so nice! Love all your New Orleans Squres pictures.

I'm sure a 90 minute wait was hard to stomach, but at least it wasn't what it is now! At least the area is much better themed than in WDW- love that Olaf! Great pictures with Anna & Elsa, I love that you were each wearing a shirt too
Our wait for A/E really wasn't that bad. We chatted with the families in line around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
I have been lurking since you started this one! I am loving your photos so far! My sister and I debated on going to the Blue Bayou restaurant. We always bail at the last minute though for some reason or another. I love your Anna and Elsa photos! Your tshirts are awesome too! Where did you get those?
Hi! So glad you came out of lurkdom.

I hear there are others lurking too. I wish they'd pop in and say hi!

HI PLUTOMARS!

Sorry for the distraction.......

I bought the shirts at the Disney Store right before leaving. You know, back when the Disney Store actually HAD Frozen merchandise! I remember walking in and seeing entire shelves full of Frozen stuff. I ooh'd and ahh'd over the deluxe Anna and Elsa costumes, wishing I had someone to buy one for! Little did I know I should have bought them to finance our next trip! I did go back after the trip and buy the 3 ornament set.

You really should try Blue Bayou one of these times. Even if you just try the gumbo, or split a Monte Cristo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Thanks Princess for the heads up. I'm off to check it out.

Thanks Janet for the reply as well!
No problem. I love checking out other bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Lovely pictures, Janet. Really crisp and clear shots. Such great photos on POTC, too!

Oh drat! You mean to tell me that I missed seeing someone from Jersey Shore (and those guards look as though they were headed to Blue Bayou or Club 33)? Darn. (I am being facetious, of course, as I have no desire to see anyone from Jersey Shore! I'm content with my Kurt Russell sighting!)

You know, that giant gold masquerade mask suspended over the entrance to the New Orleans Square alley was all new last year. There used to be a Christmas wreath with a mischievous crescent moon-headed jester dude sitting in the middle of it, creepily staring down at passersby, in that exact spot. But suddenly the giant gold mask appeared in its place. I am guessing that, since DL keeps all the other masquerade masks and Mardi Gras beads up through the Bayou Bash/Mardi Gras time, someone in the Enhancement Department must have felt that the giant mask was a better decoration to display through the holidays and into Mardi Gras, rather than the wreath -- which basically worked for the holidays and not for Mardi Gras.
Thanks Sherry! Glad to know I'm not alone in being clueless about Jersey Shore. I bet you're right though. They were probably heading for BB or Club 33. And I would definitely trade you one Jersey Shore semi-famous person sighting for a Kurt Russell sighting any day!

I'm still trying to decide what I think of that giant mask in NOS. I had seen photos of the wreath and probably would have preferred that. What a gorgeous area though. They really do a great job with that area for Christmas. (and Mardi Gras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Your photos are sooo enticing. I know I'm going to enjoy looking at them when I get back because I've started zooming through photos on TRs so there will still be some excitement and newness when I arrive -- in 9 days!

I have two hopefully easy questions. If you were going solo, where would you eat your first night? And, I'm trying to figure out what kind of a bag to carry in the parks. I made a sting backpack for WDW because I go in winter and need to carry a sweatshirt and poncho (I've been some VERY cold Februarys). I light to travel light. I don't think I need to carry much more than sunglasses and my phone. I keep my wallet in my front pocket. Am I forgetting any necessities that I need to carry on my person throughout the day?

Thanks.
So happy to help get you in the mood for your upcoming trip!

Are you going to the parks that first night? If I was going to be in the parks, I'd still consider Blue Bayou. It would set a great tone for the trip. Or maybe get a chicken dinner from Plaza Inn.

Outside the parks? I'm not sure we ever ate anywhere but Earl of Sandwich! I'd definitely go there. And I wouldn't need to ask Katie her opinion. She'd definitely second that.

I'm sure you can get by with a much smaller bag than me just because I always have extra camera gear.

You probably won't need a sweatshirt of jacket, but you should be prepared in case you do. I know on one of our June trips it was over 100 early in the afternoon so we left and swam at the hotel. By the time the sun went down cool winds brought in much cooler temps and we wished we had jackets.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #156
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Your trip report is making me want to go out there so much! If only I didn't have that pesky relative problem out there that I think I told you about
Well, you could always pick up a pair of these: If you got half a dozen Marine body guards, everyone would just think you were a semi-famous celebrity instead of a family member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
aboveH20 --

I hope Janet doesn't mind my popping in to comment on this specific question that you asked her, but I do solo DLR trips (in fact, I actually prefer them now, to a large degree!) and thought I could throw out a few suggestions for you.
No problem at all. Thanks for helping out!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #157
aboveH20
DIS Veteran
 
aboveH20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saratoga County
Posts: 1,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
aboveH20 --

I hope Janet doesn't mind my popping in to comment on this specific question that you asked her, but I do solo DLR trips (in fact, I actually prefer them now, to a large degree!) and thought I could throw out a few suggestions for you.

I think your solo dining choice largely depends on what kind of food you like and whether you want to go the table service route or the counter service route.

On some nights I simply get a sandwich to go from Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney and bring it back to my hotel.

Also on my last solo DLR trip I ate at Tangaroa Terrace in the Disneyland Hotel -- it is counter service, but there are interesting, tasty menu options and -- on that day -- the seating area was nice and quiet. I took a table overlooking the pool.

I've also dined solo at Storytellers Café in the GCH -- which felt kind of awkward because it is a busy table service restaurant and I can never get used to dining solo in a table service restaurant. The server couldn't have been nicer, but I still felt odd. I think I would have felt less odd, somehow, if I had chosen Carnation Café instead, because of the outdoor seating. For some reason I feel less awkward dining solo when I can sit outside than when I am forced to sit indoors.

I've dined solo at Taste Pilots' Grill in DCA, at night when the outside seating area was not busy. That was pretty decent.

I know that a lot of people like White Water Snacks in the GCH for the location and the food (it's counter service), but I haven't eaten there yet -- either solo or with friends. I keep telling myself that I will, but I end up at Earl of Sandwich or something and never make it over there!


Anyway, hopefully Janet will have some other ideas for you!


ETA: I almost forgot that I ate at Plaza Inn solo last year too -- I sat outside again! It was great!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have reservations at Storyteller's Cafe my last morning because I could only get a 5 day ticket so figured I'd spend my last morning in the atmosphere if not in the parks. I've done WDW solo many times, so don't mind eating alone. There's something about going solo that I really enjoy.

Since you're from the area, can I ask you two additional questions?

My last day I'm taking the train to Santa Barbara to see my younger son. I have a reservation that morning at Storyteller's Cafe at 9. My train is at 11:23. Do you know what time I should leave the Grand Californian to make it to the train station? I understand it's only about 4 miles away. I've already reserved a seat.

Here's my other question. I don't know if it's anything you've had experience with. My older son lives in West Hollywood and is thinking of joining me for two nights. He will have a car -- and SoCal tickets. Do you know if it's going to be a hassle to add his name to my room so her can have a key and park? I'm wondering if I should do it when I check in or wait until the next day before he arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
So happy to help get you in the mood for your upcoming trip!

Are you going to the parks that first night? If I was going to be in the parks, I'd still consider Blue Bayou. It would set a great tone for the trip. Or maybe get a chicken dinner from Plaza Inn.

Outside the parks? I'm not sure we ever ate anywhere but Earl of Sandwich! I'd definitely go there. And I wouldn't need to ask Katie her opinion. She'd definitely second that.

I'm sure you can get by with a much smaller bag than me just because I always have extra camera gear.

You probably won't need a sweatshirt of jacket, but you should be prepared in case you do. I know on one of our June trips it was over 100 early in the afternoon so we left and swam at the hotel. By the time the sun went down cool winds brought in much cooler temps and we wished we had jackets.
Thanks for the suggestions. Blue Bayou might get the call. I've read so much about Earl of Sandwich that I was thrilled when I finally got to eat in one at an airport (forget where).

I'd forgotten about coolness at night, so maybe my string backpack will work. It's LOUD so it'll make it easy for my son to lose me.

Are you sewing any more?
__________________
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the oceans' depths submariners are protecting our freedom.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #158
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Blue Bayou might get the call. I've read so much about Earl of Sandwich that I was thrilled when I finally got to eat in one at an airport (forget where).

I'd forgotten about coolness at night, so maybe my string backpack will work. It's LOUD so it'll make it easy for my son to lose me.

Are you sewing any more?
Meeting your son there sounds awesome. I still hope my sons will come around and want to visit Disney again one day. They are still in college so too busy these days anyway.

If Katie found out which airports had EOS, I probably would have to schedule all of our layovers through that airport. I could see us flying to Anaheim from Missouri via Atlanta or something.

And yes I still sew. Katie doesn't let me do as much for her as I used to, but occasionally she does. Are you still sewing?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #159
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,547
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have reservations at Storyteller's Cafe my last morning because I could only get a 5 day ticket so figured I'd spend my last morning in the atmosphere if not in the parks. I've done WDW solo many times, so don't mind eating alone. There's something about going solo that I really enjoy.

Since you're from the area, can I ask you two additional questions?

My last day I'm taking the train to Santa Barbara to see my younger son. I have a reservation that morning at Storyteller's Cafe at 9. My train is at 11:23. Do you know what time I should leave the Grand Californian to make it to the train station? I understand it's only about 4 miles away. I've already reserved a seat.

Here's my other question. I don't know if it's anything you've had experience with. My older son lives in West Hollywood and is thinking of joining me for two nights. He will have a car -- and SoCal tickets. Do you know if it's going to be a hassle to add his name to my room so her can have a key and park? I'm wondering if I should do it when I check in or wait until the next day before he arrives.
aboveH20 --

If I were able to go solo to WDW, I would have a fantastic time!

I almost feel guilty admitting how much I enjoy solo trips! While I can't deny the fun of being with people whose company I enjoy and just acting silly, laughing all day, as well has having friends to enjoy rides and meals with, there is something so liberating and invigorating about being solo in the parks, isn't there? I absolutely love it. I never, in a million years, would have thought that I'd be doing solo DLR trips if someone had mentioned the concept to me, say, 10 years ago or 30 years ago or whatever. But now... I cannot imagine not doing them. I like to have a nice balance of spending a bit of "friend time," and then the rest is all solo time. Solo trips are so amazing for those who either love to take a lot of photos, or soak in all of those great details -- or both.

I think that Storytellers sounds like a great way to end your DLR visit!

Let's see -- I've never dealt with the train station near DLR, though I have read other people's reports that involved going there and it seemed like it was not too far away. If it really is, indeed, only 4 miles away from DLR, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so to get there, give or take, depending on traffic. Probably much less than that. I don't know what traffic is like in that specific area though, so I wouldn't want to cut it too close.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably feel safe leaving the GCH at least 30 minutes ahead of the train departure time (so 10:50-ish), just to allow for traffic and any other issues I might need to deal with at the station.

I have had experience with adding people to my reservations, at the GCH and at the PPH. It should not be a problem at all for them to add your son to the reservation. I recommend doing it at check-in, if not before you arrive. I usually call at some point before my arrival date and add any potential guests to the reservation. This way they will have the guests' names already in the file and give me all the keys when I check in.

There is a charge for parking if you need it (no charge if you don't need it), so the GCH will charge you for that if you tell them that a member of your party will have a car. Make sure you find out from them if they will charge you parking for every night you're at the GCH (even on the days when your son is not there), or only the nights when your son joins you. I remember thinking that I would only be charged for the specific day the parking was needed, but I was told that I would be charged for every night of the trip -- even if the guest only needed to park one day.

The extra key for your son won't be a problem. Chances are you will be given a room that can accommodate "up to 5 people." So as long as you don't exceed a total of 5 people in your room, you can add guests to the reservation for no extra charge other than the parking.




Back to Janet's regularly scheduled TR, full of amazing photos and fun!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #160
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post

Back to Janet's regularly scheduled TR, full of amazing photos and fun!
No problem at all Sherry. Thanks for the help. And thanks for helping fill the latest lull!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #161
TexasErin
Loves old Pluto cartoons
 
TexasErin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: TYLER, TEXAS, USA
Posts: 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks! So glad you checked in before leaving. I totally understand your mixed feelings. What an awesome surprise it will be for the kids though! :cool1

Don't know how tolerant you are of the heat and humidity in Orlando, but you stand a far better chance of reasonably comfortable weather heading west. Hopefully that will be a nice consolation prize. I have always wanted to do Star Wars Weekends (our 19 and 21 year old non-Disney fans) grew up on Star Wars. But I just wouldn't be able to tolerate that heat, especially combined with the big crowds of SWW. The SW character meals also made me a little sad we couldn't be there.

But just remind yourself of all the cool new stuff in store, especially Carsland and Indy.



Thanks Jen. I was pleasantly surprised when I went through them. I liked the Captain Jack one, but didn't like the severe angle on him. I wonder if I was just on the wrong side of the boat or something? Or maybe the boats are just closer in DL than at WDW. And no, I couldn't tell from my shot if he was dirty and worn looking!

Yeah, the weather will be much better. Last year at SWW, there was a queue to get into Darth Mall (the huge SWW shopping area) and it was unbelievably hot that day. We saw a lady actually pass out in the line. I felt so horrible for her!!

I really am super excited about Carsland; it looks amazing- especially at night!
__________________
TexasErin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #162
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,696

Catching up!!!

I think you got a great shot of Jack at the end but he still loks freaky to me. He doesn't look dirty there, but he doesn't look right to me. LOL.
Thats funny that Katie picked the right table!

I wonder if the donut sandwich is better there than Cafe Orleans. But I am with you, it's not awful....just so different and I don't think I will order it again.
So gald you got to see Anna and Elsa. I don't see it in our future for quite some time, sadly.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #163
aboveH20
DIS Veteran
 
aboveH20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saratoga County
Posts: 1,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Meeting your son there sounds awesome. I still hope my sons will come around and want to visit Disney again one day. They are still in college so too busy these days anyway.

If Katie found out which airports had EOS, I probably would have to schedule all of our layovers through that airport. I could see us flying to Anaheim from Missouri via Atlanta or something.

And yes I still sew. Katie doesn't let me do as much for her as I used to, but occasionally she does. Are you still sewing?
My older son (the West Hollywood one) is a Disney lover. I haven't given up hope that he'll get a job at Disney (in film or imagineering, not ride operator ). My younger son moved to Santa Barbara last year to go to college and I tried to finagle a Disney trip in conjuction with visiting him. I asked his interest and on a scale of 1 to 10 he gave it a three. Where did I go wrong?

Liberty airport (AKA Newark) has Earl of Sandwich. That wouldn't be too ar out of your way on a trip To WDW. It's my only experience and it was like meeting a celebrity to see it and eat there.

I've been doing some sewing. In the winter I take part in a quilting group at church that makes small quilts for kids removed from domestic violence situations. I don't really do clothing, more smaller crafty-type projects. I've been working on a bag to take to Disneyland, but I think I may just go with my string backpack -- or take both and see what works better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
aboveH20 --

If I were able to go solo to WDW, I would have a fantastic time!

I almost feel guilty admitting how much I enjoy solo trips! While I can't deny the fun of being with people whose company I enjoy and just acting silly, laughing all day, as well has having friends to enjoy rides and meals with, there is something so liberating and invigorating about being solo in the parks, isn't there? I absolutely love it. I never, in a million years, would have thought that I'd be doing solo DLR trips if someone had mentioned the concept to me, say, 10 years ago or 30 years ago or whatever. But now... I cannot imagine not doing them. I like to have a nice balance of spending a bit of "friend time," and then the rest is all solo time. Solo trips are so amazing for those who either love to take a lot of photos, or soak in all of those great details -- or both.

I think that Storytellers sounds like a great way to end your DLR visit!

Let's see -- I've never dealt with the train station near DLR, though I have read other people's reports that involved going there and it seemed like it was not too far away. If it really is, indeed, only 4 miles away from DLR, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so to get there, give or take, depending on traffic. Probably much less than that. I don't know what traffic is like in that specific area though, so I wouldn't want to cut it too close.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably feel safe leaving the GCH at least 30 minutes ahead of the train departure time (so 10:50-ish), just to allow for traffic and any other issues I might need to deal with at the station.

I have had experience with adding people to my reservations, at the GCH and at the PPH. It should not be a problem at all for them to add your son to the reservation. I recommend doing it at check-in, if not before you arrive. I usually call at some point before my arrival date and add any potential guests to the reservation. This way they will have the guests' names already in the file and give me all the keys when I check in.

There is a charge for parking if you need it (no charge if you don't need it), so the GCH will charge you for that if you tell them that a member of your party will have a car. Make sure you find out from them if they will charge you parking for every night you're at the GCH (even on the days when your son is not there), or only the nights when your son joins you. I remember thinking that I would only be charged for the specific day the parking was needed, but I was told that I would be charged for every night of the trip -- even if the guest only needed to park one day.

The extra key for your son won't be a problem. Chances are you will be given a room that can accommodate "up to 5 people." So as long as you don't exceed a total of 5 people in your room, you can add guests to the reservation for no extra charge other than the parking.


Back to Janet's regularly scheduled TR, full of amazing photos and fun!
Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed answers.

Yes, I'm a big fan of solo trips. I love being able to do what I want, when I want, and honestly, I enjoy not talking much for a week. Sometimes I engage others in conversation, but most of the time I'm content to just soak everything in. Also, the obvious that it's so much cheaper to go solo. I'm not rich by any means, like so many other Disers, I don't spend much money other than on Disney trips. Sometimes after a meal I shake my head and wonder how families can afford Disney. When our kids were young we went every four years and even then did it with a pretty small budget.

Bummer that they may charge for parking for the entire stay. We went to Aulani in February and paid $35/day for parking for eight days. It cost more than the rental car.

I'm still trying to do so much research before the trip. On the one hand I think of it as once in a lifetime, on the other I keep reminding myself that as long as my son lives in the LA area I'll always have a reason to go back. I'm pretty sure staying at the Grand Californian is once in a lifetime. I'm hoping to scout out the Good Neighbor Hotels to see if there's once I'd feel comfortable walking to at night.

Okay, like you said, now back to the regulary scheduled TR.
__________________
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the oceans' depths submariners are protecting our freedom.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #164
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyFreak06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 3,692

Great shots, Janet! I love taking pictures on the rides. So much fun.

Too fun that Katie picked the table they gave you! I thought about dining in the Blue Bayou, but didn't. Club 33 was the big meal on the last trip, so that was all I needed for that trip! The first one was the character meals.

I know all about the struggles for camera bags. I have thought about just using my Mickey backpack and making foam inserts. I still might do that, even though I bought a fancy Kelly Moore bag. I haven't brought that one to Disney (just got it at Christmas) and I'm a little concerned about the strap. It just doesn't seem like it's wide enough to evenly distribute the weight. I had a slingshot 100 I think, but the inside of the strap started twisting, so that got, well, painful. I still have it as a back up, but I tend to set my things in a backpack as well.
__________________
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #165
natebenma
DIS Veteran
 
natebenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near Boston
Posts: 12,139

Late to the party, but happy to be here!

Jenseib suggested that I check out your report as we are headed to DL for the first time in July.

Love your intro! My 13 year old son is also into drama. He has done two middle school plays (Pom Pom Zombies and Music Man) and he has been in around 10 community theatre shows. What show did Katie do last year?

Ben is also a Disney FREAK!

Great pictures and descriptions from your flight!

Paradise Pier looks really nice- it reminds me of my beloved Beach Club in a lot of ways, but we decided to stay at the GC for this trip of a lifetime.

I imagine we will be making a trip or two to Earl of Sandwich.

Beautiful sunset from your room.

Going back to read more...

Dee

Last edited by natebenma; 05-26-2014 at 02:08 PM.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: