Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #136
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Hey Janet what kind of camera bag do you own?
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #137
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks Bret! If I didn't have the 30mm lens already, I'd probably be thinking of just going straight to the 18-35. But as I said, I haven't laid hands on that 18-35 yet, so I'd hate to start off with advice already! I've just heard so many good reviews, and I love the idea of that wider range. It's obviously a lot bigger than the 30mm lens too, so that is a consideration.
One day I will rent, borrow or even buy the Sigma 18-35mm lens with the low aperture. The only thing about is that it doesn't have the wide angle like the Tokina 11-16, Nikon 14-24 or 10-22, etc. but to be able to zoom in and out with an aperture of f/1.8 is amazing. The weight won't be an issue for me since I do carry a lot of equipment with me.

I have enjoyed using the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens during the last month trip where I was able to get wide angle shots and was clear. I understand why a lot of photographers that went to the Disney parks like this lens a lot.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #138
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

I lvoe your pictures. Disney should hire you to be a photopass photographer the character pics are so clear and awesome
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #139
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaf87 View Post
I got that box from my Disneyland trip in 2003. I wish I would have kept it!
I would love to keep some of my old Disney tickets and paperwork in one of these. That plastic box with the sticker on top? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I actually have several. I have a fairly inexpensive holster type bag that will fit my camera with 17-55 lens attached (plus one extra lens) that I use for things like school functions. I also squeeze in my phone and ID.

I have a lowepro slingshot 202 that I really don't like. I sometimes use it on short outings when I want 2 or 3 extra lenses, but I end up cheating and slinging it over just one shoulder resulting in back pain from the uneven load.

Last year for our Disney trip, I added a Thinktank messenger style bag. I did like that in some ways, but it's still not my perfect answer.

Really, my workhorse is just a generic backpack. No extra padding, no slots for individual lenses. I just keep each lens in a padded pouch and put them don inside. I leave room so I can stow the camera if needed, but I seldom do, so it doesn't matter if there's no padded slot for it.

I still keep thinking I'm going to find the perfect bag. I probably need to consult Mary Poppins. Or get a Sherpa.

What sort of bag do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
One day I will rent, borrow or even buy the Sigma 18-35mm lens with the low aperture. The only thing about is that it doesn't have the wide angle like the Tokina 11-16, Nikon 14-24 or 10-22, etc. but to be able to zoom in and out with an aperture of f/1.8 is amazing. The weight won't be an issue for me since I do carry a lot of equipment with me.

I have enjoyed using the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens during the last month trip where I was able to get wide angle shots and was clear. I understand why a lot of photographers that went to the Disney parks like this lens a lot.
I do love my Tokina. But there are just some situations where 2.8 isn't cutting it. And I'm tired of shooting all my low light stuff at 30mm. I'm really thinking of some dark rides and the evening Christmas parade, maybe more handheld shots around the park after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
I lvoe your pictures. Disney should hire you to be a photopass photographer the character pics are so clear and awesome
Thanks for the kind words. I would enjoy it as long as I didn't have to work on days over 80 degrees.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #140
TexasErin
Loves old Pluto cartoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I think it makes a big difference which resort you start off with. We visited WDW 4 times before we ever got to DLR. And being smack dab in the center of the country, I'm not surprised that I could consider WDW my home resort while you would say DLR.

I do have to say though that I did have a bit of a twinge of regret when free dining was released and will have another one when the Mine Train FINALLY opens to the public. Although I can safely say I happy not to have Magic Bands headed our way. I want one more shot at legacy FP.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I used my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens in there and still had to push the ISO higher than I like. I'm considering the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 before out next trip. It would be fun to get a wider perspective on some of those dark rides.
We're headed to DLR next Friday for our first trip. We have been to WDW many times. The kids think we're going to WDW and I can't wait to surprise them the night before with our secret! I have loved Walter Elias Disney since I was a small child, so the excitement is incredible for me.....

However, this will be our first time to miss Star Wars Weekend in several years and we're Star Wars freaks....So of course now they have that awesome Star Wars character breakfast at Sci-Fi (which is one of our favorite restaurants) so I am kind of having buyer's remorse on switching to DLR....But I know we'll have a great time anyway.

Great report, btw!!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #141
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

You got some fabulous shots inside pirates! I wish I would've taken my 30mm with me that day and got a few better ones. Or at least a better chance at better ones!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #142
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasErin View Post
We're headed to DLR next Friday for our first trip. We have been to WDW many times. The kids think we're going to WDW and I can't wait to surprise them the night before with our secret! I have loved Walter Elias Disney since I was a small child, so the excitement is incredible for me.....

However, this will be our first time to miss Star Wars Weekend in several years and we're Star Wars freaks....So of course now they have that awesome Star Wars character breakfast at Sci-Fi (which is one of our favorite restaurants) so I am kind of having buyer's remorse on switching to DLR....But I know we'll have a great time anyway.

Great report, btw!!!!
Thanks! So glad you checked in before leaving. I totally understand your mixed feelings. What an awesome surprise it will be for the kids though! :cool1

Don't know how tolerant you are of the heat and humidity in Orlando, but you stand a far better chance of reasonably comfortable weather heading west. Hopefully that will be a nice consolation prize. I have always wanted to do Star Wars Weekends (our 19 and 21 year old non-Disney fans) grew up on Star Wars. But I just wouldn't be able to tolerate that heat, especially combined with the big crowds of SWW. The SW character meals also made me a little sad we couldn't be there.

But just remind yourself of all the cool new stuff in store, especially Carsland and Indy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
You got some fabulous shots inside pirates! I wish I would've taken my 30mm with me that day and got a few better ones. Or at least a better chance at better ones!
Thanks Jen. I was pleasantly surprised when I went through them. I liked the Captain Jack one, but didn't like the severe angle on him. I wonder if I was just on the wrong side of the boat or something? Or maybe the boats are just closer in DL than at WDW. And no, I couldn't tell from my shot if he was dirty and worn looking!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #143
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Thursday December 5th, 2013 Continued:

A few more shots from POTC before moving on:

IMG_3900 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3905 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3910 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3915 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

The exit to the ride is near Blue Bayou, and I was surprised to find people standing all around New Orleans Square waiting for tables as early as 11:00. I got in line to check in while Katie browsed a nearby shop. I was surprised to hear them say they would seat us momentarily, so I ran back to find her. We were one of the first ones seated in the restaurant, and were surprised when they led us to the very table Katie had told me she would like to sit at. I ordered the monte cristo and she ordered a kids nuggets meal. The salad didn't sound interesting to me, but neither did the soups. So I settled for chicken gumbo. When it came, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I offered Katie a taste, and she ended up helping me finish it off. We had found a new favorite! I was ok with the monte cristo, but don't know if I'll order it again. I'm still not sure if I really liked it or not. Parts of it were really appealing, parts of it were not. I'm still not sure of that mix of sweet and savory. But the soup was a definite winner!

IMG_3930 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We finished up around noon and headed out into New Orleans Square. I wanted to check out the Christmas decorations. It really is a beautiful area at Christmas time.

IMG_3916 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3942 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3945 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3949 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3951 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3953 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3954 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3958 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

As we left the area, we saw this group heading into New Orleans Square. I had absolutely no idea what was up with the group of marines in full dress uniform...... until days later when we were in Downtown Disney and saw them again. The girls working at the Pearl Factory sort of giggled when they saw them, then explained it was someone semi-famous with marine guards. I'm thinking it was someone from Jersey Shore? I don't watch the show so don't remember the name.

IMG_3959 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I had been watching the Mousewait app for some time and was expecting a long wait for the Frozen Meet and Greet. And that's exactly what we got. At least by the standards of the time. I know the definition of "long" has changed since December, but at the time 90 minutes seemed like a really long time. Little did I know that was actually short by today's standards! The line didn't LOOK that long, but it extended a ways past the 60 minute post. The line moved slowly, but I really wanted this done on our first day so we wouldn't end up with a ton of character meets to do all at once on our last day. We chatted with people in line around us and passed the time. At one point the rumor went around that only one of the 2 characters would be there when we got to the front of the line. That would have been very disappointing since we really wanted to meet both. I was wearing my Elsa t-shirt, and Katie was wearing her Anna t-shirt. It was a great meeting, and it was fun when they took time to look through Katie's autograph book.

IMG_3997 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4000 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4002 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4006 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4009 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4015 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_4018 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #144
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Wonderful pictures.

Looks like you enjoyed the ambience at Blue Bayou. I'll have to try the chicken gumbo next time.

Well done for ticking Elsa and Anna off the M&G list.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #145
KCmike

Again lovely pictures. I always look up to you and your photography skills Janet. Currently I only use a gadget bag but I really want to but a backpack style one from Best Buy this weekend. I'm just not sure if it would suit me. I like the idea of having my hands free and not fighting a bag on one shoulder but just not sure how I would switch out lenses in a hurry. I would have to sit the bag down flat to change stuff out, right?
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #146
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
I hope you and Janet don't mind me butting into this discussion.

Bret and I had a very similar discussion about a month or two ago. The first bag I got was the Slingshot but it's not good for my back. I suffer from scoliosis and it just wasn't worth me carrying the slingshot. So, I ended up getting the LowePro Pro Runner 200. I think Bret ended up with the 350 size. It's a backpack style bag rather than the slingshot. The 200 is the right size for my back and I've configured the inside padding so that it holds the dSLR with 2 - 3 lenses. I can just about squeeze the 50 mm, f/1.8 in it as well.

If you're in the market for a camera backpack style bag, it might be worth checking it out.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #147
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Wonderful pictures.

Looks like you enjoyed the ambience at Blue Bayou. I'll have to try the chicken gumbo next time.

Well done for ticking Elsa and Anna off the M&G list.
Thanks PIO! We really did enjoy BB. We've been by there every time we rode Pirates on prior trips, but had never eaten there. I had a hunch I would like it, but was really surprised how much Katie liked it.

And yes, I'm so glad we were able to meet Anna/Elsa before it got so complicated!

Quote:
Again lovely pictures. I always look up to you and your photography skills Janet. Currently I only use a gadget bag but I really want to but a backpack style one from Best Buy this weekend. I'm just not sure if it would suit me. I like the idea of having my hands free and not fighting a bag on one shoulder but just not sure how I would switch out lenses in a hurry. I would have to sit the bag down flat to change stuff out, right?
Thanks so much Mike. The one thing I have finally accepted is that there is no "perfect" camera bag. There are lots of "almost perfect" bags, but they're sort of like lenses. Sometimes you just need the right bag for the right job.

You are right that the true backpack does have to be put down when you wan to change lenses. That's one of the things I liked about the messenger bag I brought on this last trip. It was easy to get into and dig around without stopping and putting it down. I got the Think Tank, but have also heard good things about the Crumpler 5 million (they have other sizes from 4 million to 7 million) dollar home.

Really though, I love having choices when I'm headed out. I'm not afraid to carry a big bag when I need to, but love to carry something smaller when I can.

Quote:

Bret and I had a very similar discussion about a month or two ago. The first bag I got was the Slingshot but it's not good for my back. I suffer from scoliosis and it just wasn't worth me carrying the slingshot. So, I ended up getting the LowePro Pro Runner 200. I think Bret ended up with the 350 size. It's a backpack style bag rather than the slingshot. The 200 is the right size for my back and I've configured the inside padding so that it holds the dSLR with 2 - 3 lenses. I can just about squeeze the 50 mm, f/1.8 in it as well.

If you're in the market for a camera backpack style bag, it might be worth checking it out.
No problem! I love to hear input on the best bag. I really had trouble with that slingshot bag, and I don't have scoliosis! So I can imagine how bad that was for you.

I still don't feel like I've found the perfect bag. I'll have to check out the ProRunner when I'm in the market again.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #148
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

Blue Bayou's decor seems so nice! Love all your New Orleans Squres pictures.

I'm sure a 90 minute wait was hard to stomach, but at least it wasn't what it is now! At least the area is much better themed than in WDW- love that Olaf! Great pictures with Anna & Elsa, I love that you were each wearing a shirt too
"Smile like you're massaging my feet!" A Nov '14 TR!

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13 - MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13 - An Early Christmas with Mom & Dad: 11/8/14-11/15/14
missangelalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #149
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

I have been lurking since you started this one! I am loving your photos so far! My sister and I debated on going to the Blue Bayou restaurant. We always bail at the last minute though for some reason or another. I love your Anna and Elsa photos! Your tshirts are awesome too! Where did you get those?
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #150
KCmike

Quote:

Thanks Princess for the heads up. I'm off to check it out.

Thanks Janet for the reply as well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: